[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was Space Jam a hit while this was a flop?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Lonney_poster.jpg (34KB, 294x425px) Image search: [Google]
Lonney_poster.jpg
34KB, 294x425px
Why was Space Jam a hit while this was a flop?
>>
>>88096335
Bill Murray.
>>
Space Jam was released at a time it could only ever possiblely exist at the absolute height of Basketball and Micheal Jordan's career.

Space Jam is remembered mostly as a "so bad it's good" product of its time. Back in Action meanwhile was meant to be a more metahumored Who Framed Roger Rabbit and failed in that regard.
>>
Nope. Space Jam is bad, it was just that it was released at a time when there were even worse movies so it looked good. But it was still fundamentally bad. Nostalgia carries it to this day.
>>
It was released at a time when Michael Jordan was extremely popular and Looney Tunes was as well.
Back in Action came far too late (almost 6 years later), and the Looney Tunes popularity started to dwindle as it was shoved off most major networks.
Back in Action was shit anyways
>>
Space Jam combined two things many young kids like or find cool.

This movie......what the hell even was it? Who was it trying to appeal to? I don't fuckin' know

Both were shit though from a critical standpoint, but it's not hard to see how a movie combining cartoon characters every kid of the time was familiar with and a sports star many kids idolized
>>
Way too fucking many pop culture references and that crappy ending didn't do musch justice to the film
I wouldn't be surprised if a piece of crap like back in action gains meme status like Bee movie or Shrek
>>
I liked Back In Action and didn't really care for Space Jam.
>>
>>88096335
B-movie Fraser, Jenna "I only get gigs because I'm in the Church of Scientology" Elfman, post-1991 Steve Martin, a bunch of cartoon characters who've been diminishing returns every comeback since they were first made because they don't do anything new and the really clever thoughtful creators are long gone.

It's like a Who's Who of Who Cares.

For that matter, I'm pretty sure Space Jam was considered to have significantly underperformed, especially domestically, at a time when the domestic take was far more important than the overseas.
>>
File: 1406920892586.gif (2MB, 447x260px) Image search: [Google]
1406920892586.gif
2MB, 447x260px
>>88098050
>it's a who's who of who cares
>>
>>88096335
Because people love memes more than legitimately decent writing.
>>
>>88096335
Because Brendan Fraser and Jenna Elfman are not Michael "I invented shoes" Jordan tier celebrities, and the concept was less novel after Space Jam and, frankly, Rocky and Bullwinkle.
>>
>>88096916
this

Watch the movie again...its actually kind of creepy how much it paints Jordan to be some kind of fucking messiah.
>>
Space Jam was a hit because Michael Jordan and Bugs Bunny were both incredibly popular at the time, and no matter what a mess the story was, it at least turned on the characters' personalities to a large degree. In style and scope it was an epic, even if it was a mess as well.

Back in Action, by contrast, had some excellent animated sequences but was mostly the kind of live action movie Warner Bros marketed to families at the time. Live actors whom kids didn't care about, given too much screen time because Warner doesn't trust the cartoon characters to sell the movie.
Live actors acting hammy and stupid, because that's how Warner insists they act in movies "for kids." (There's a very good reason Warners' nonlicensed family movies don't do well in theatres: they're patronizingly stupid.)
>>
>>88096335
It had Daleks in it too!
>>
>>88102637
Makes you wonder why CartoonBrew faps to it so hard.
>>
Oh, and of course: Back in Action featured every Warner family entertainment exec's favorite two ideas for kids' movies, the "chase around the world" and the "spy parody."

They have actual hard-ons for these two plot ideas, so much so that they did an earlier version of the worldwide chase in Tweety's High-Flying Adventure and another version of both the chase and the spy story in Rabbits Run.

Warner staff has tons of ideas for Looney Tunes features, but top management LOVES chases around the world and spy spoofs, so we will inevitably see more of them.
>>
>>88102637
Besides getting his dad killed due to gambling debts, he kind of was
>>
>>88102969
Wut
>>
It suffered from the same problems as the Smurfs movie, the Rockie and Bulkwinkle movie, and the Garfield movie. Self-aware cartoons in real life nostalgia movies are mostly shit and can't ever live up to the industrial celebration that was Roger Rabbit.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.