[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people say things like "I can't believe we're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 30

File: 12-7.jpg (179KB, 1280x896px) Image search: [Google]
12-7.jpg
179KB, 1280x896px
Why do people say things like "I can't believe we're getting a X movie! I can't believe we're getting X heroes in the same movie! WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!" ?
Like movies are an award given to the best comics, like a step up. Movies are no better or worse than comics as a medium.
>>
I mean I get what you're saying kind of, but if had honestly told me back in 2008 that a Guardians of the Galaxy movie would be released in a few years and is a critical and financial success I don't think I would've believed you.

Hell the fact that Iron Man was made and was successful considering they didn't even really have a script when they filmed it still blows my mind .
>>
>>88034761
because back when this all started, nobody thought that the iron man movie would lead to a complete MCU. A lot of people probably thought it wouldn't even be that successful.

Nobody expected Ant Man, Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, or Black Panther to get a movie at all even after the success of Iron Man because they aren't very well known heroes.
>>
>>88035084
I'm more asking about the "WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE" part. These movies are awful
>>
File: 1476899313769.jpg (71KB, 720x602px) Image search: [Google]
1476899313769.jpg
71KB, 720x602px
>>88034761
>MY COMICS ARE JUST AS IMPORTANT

Yeah, no, except they're really not, dude.
>>
>>88035124
importance =/= quality
>>
>>88034761
>Like movies are an award given to the best comics, like a step up. Movies are no better or worse than comics as a medium.
Well, they do add audio and motion to the comic sources.
>>
>>88034761
Because only movies they think will profit will get made, and the only movies that Disney thinks will profit are movies that will draw a large audience.

The thing is 30 years ago you wouldn't have such large audiences wanting to see Spider-Iron Rises 7: Apocalypse of the Avenging League, and that's impressive.
>>
File: 1480116711241.jpg (11KB, 176x187px) Image search: [Google]
1480116711241.jpg
11KB, 176x187px
>>88035132
>the modern age of comics rivals capeshit from the 21st century

Yeah, no, except it really doesn't, dude.
>>
Except these movies ARE awards to those comics. It means those elements will now be public knowledge and thus part of the larger pop culture system. I mean, you can buy Winter Soldier shirts now!
>>
>>88035182
That's like saying all anime is better than its original manga because it adds background music.

Yeah, they add sound, but they lose things like panel size and art quality.

>>88035195
Who talked about "modern age" comics? Infinity War, a movie about to come out, will be based in a pretty old comic.
Also, what modern comics are you reading? Because Providence, Sandman Overture, Vision etc are all recent comics better than any movie released recently. "dude".
>>
File: 1469116340590.png (521KB, 670x539px) Image search: [Google]
1469116340590.png
521KB, 670x539px
>>88035242
>Who talked about "modern age" comics? Infinity War, a movie about to come out, will be based in a pretty old comic.

Yeah, most of the movies are being adapted from older sources and the ones that aren't like the Civil War event, are different in every way but name. The point is movies are an award to comics, the comics the people love, the stories that have sold, are the ones that will get hundred million dollar investments.

Why? Because movies are a better medium than comics. Incredibly so. Comics cannot rival a movie's visual or audio story telling, a comic cannot rival a feature length film's depth on the plot. A comic isn't a detailed as a book, and isn't as touching on the senses as movie, for those reasons, a comic is - objectively, a terrible fucking medium.

dude
>>
File: paigepepe (3).jpg (147KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
paigepepe (3).jpg
147KB, 640x640px
>>88034761
Because I enjoy those movies.
>>
>>88035343
>a comic can't rival a movie's depth
Oh yeah, the Watchmen comic can't hold a candle to the Watchmen movie. Idiot.

>comics are an objectively terrible medium
Why are you on this board? To dump your smug reaction faces?
>>
>>88035132
And the old comics most of these are based off of are of shit quality. Non-issue.
>>
>>88034761
If movies aren't a better medium, as you described in your post, then how can getting a movie be considered a step up? If comic books are on the same level as a movie, isn't getting a movie the same as getting a new solo run?

Sure, a movie may be more expensive, but if a character with a movie is better than a character without one, then it's reasonable to assume that movies are a more valuable medium than comics, and that the two aren't equal.
>>
File: 139483627938.png (563KB, 569x802px) Image search: [Google]
139483627938.png
563KB, 569x802px
>>88035113
>These movies are awful
For you.
>>
File: download.jpg (5KB, 153x136px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 153x136px
>>88035242
...Anime IS better than Manga though. Like, undeniably.
>but they lose things like panel size
>>
>>88035398
Except no one was arguing about the adapted comics, only about the mediums generally. And no cape movie is better than, say, Promethea.

>>88035426
>isn't getting a movie the same as getting a new solo run?
yes
thanks for summarizing my point.
>>
>>88035384
>comics are an objectively terrible medium
>Why are you on this board?
You know you can like things while admitting they're heavily flawed right?
>>
>>88035446
Well, congratulations. You got yourself caught.
>>
File: 1501014374209973393.gif (3MB, 636x715px) Image search: [Google]
1501014374209973393.gif
3MB, 636x715px
>>88035452
Oh, yeah, such a superior medium.

What is page composition? What is lettering? Coloring? Line weight?
>>
File: KApyjX7.png (350KB, 1167x703px) Image search: [Google]
KApyjX7.png
350KB, 1167x703px
>>88035452
>Undeniably
>>
>>88035458
Promethea's pretty dull senpai
Could've at least gone with Swamp Thing or Miracleman.
>yes, thanks for summarizing my point.
TWO UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL MOVIES WHEN
>>
>>88035543
Now do a webm comparing them in motion
OH WAIT >:^)
>>
>>88035550
My point is no medium is better. I'm not sure what you mean with that last sentence. I can bring up bad cape movies too.

>>88035577
see >>88035529
>>
>>88035113
Opinion is not fact. These movies will not be historically considered cinematic masterpieces, but they are entertaining and aren't put together poorly. They'll end up being a footnote in cinema history since it's the first time there have been a dozen or more interconnected movies that aren't direct sequels. They're just fun movies, popcorn flicks, if you will that you watch and enjoy but don't have a significant impact on cinema in the long run.
>>
>>88035594
You're focusing on one part of the argument instead of addressing the main point. You've just said they'll be forgotten, so why do people act like they're a step up from the original source when sometimes that original source is material like Watchmen?
>>
File: stylesmeh.gif (2MB, 256x143px) Image search: [Google]
stylesmeh.gif
2MB, 256x143px
>>88035529
>>88035587
He seriously drew all of that for one scene?
Damn son, credit where its due. Das effort.
>>
File: 1480347925996.jpg (53KB, 960x957px) Image search: [Google]
1480347925996.jpg
53KB, 960x957px
>>88035384
>Watchmen comic can't hold a candle to the Watchmen movie. Idiot.

I knew you would do that. I specifically pointed out that the successful comics that get adapted are the exception, and even then I knew some retard would reply with a succesful comic and think he's outsmart me. Bravo good sir. Quality reading comprehension.

I'm on this board because I enjoy comics, but I'm not fucking delusional as to think that comics are going to appeal to as wide of a market as capeshit movies, when they offer not half of what makes those stories successful. Stop being pitiful little neckbeards, comics will never be mainstream because comics - by an large - aren't. good.
>>
>>88035529
That's just lazy anime animation.
>>
>>88035587
That comic runs are a hell of a lot less exclusive and more disposable. Getting a new volume is in no way comparable to getting a movie.
>>
>>88035685
>appeal
>success
I see you've gone back to your original point about revenue. Nobody is talking about that, dude. This is just an issue of quality. Even if you consider Watchmen an "exception" it proves the point that a movie adaptation isn't necessarily better than its original source. People who are glad to be alive in a time where the MCU is a thing are just casuals who don't read comics.
>>
>>88035707
Exactly. Lazy anime are a thing - so saying anime is superior to manga is a generalisation and it's just plain wrong.
>>
>>88034761
'Aight OP, how does this sound?
A lot of people aren't drawn to comics as a medium so much as they're drawn to the characters that happen to be confined to that medium. And, for reasons spelled out in this thread, would rather see them in other superior mediums if given the choice?

You want to get rid of capeshitposting? Go back in time and shunt superheroes to another medium. Or just nix them altogether; maybe kill the right guy and stop the Silver Age from happening. Of course then we'd probably be bitching about too many monster movie threads.
>>
>>88035618
Before the movie, Watchmen was only famous among comic book fans. Normies had no idea what it was.

Watchmen as a comic book, also didn't have any impact on literature or the literary world outside of comic books. Historically in terms of Literature, Watchmen is just as forgettable any MCU movie is for cinema.

As to your other question about why people become thrilled at the prospect of a movie, I answered it, but didn't answer it in a way. People like going to see fun, popcorn flicks. And people who aren't so hung up on everything being exactly like the comic book like the idea of being able to see the characters they enjoy reading about in comics, up on the big screen. It's only people who can't accept the movies as an "adaptation" that get upset about things in those movies and go online to complain, which always boils down to "not muh comic character!"

TL;DR: Cape movies are fun and the source material isn't some sacred text.
>>
>>88035895
So plebs who are too lazy to read don't want to use the superior medium and think the movies are good because they're casuals, got it.
>>
File: 1443137885443.jpg (346KB, 698x840px) Image search: [Google]
1443137885443.jpg
346KB, 698x840px
I enjoyed the Watchmen movie more than the comic.
>>
File: 1479963883496.gif (2MB, 186x200px) Image search: [Google]
1479963883496.gif
2MB, 186x200px
>>88035768
>people who are glad to see their favorite characters come to life in tangible ways, while seeing them live out their heroics with awe inspiring visuals are casuals
>the people who struggle to accomplish the same feeling from some shitty drawings are not casuals

Like I said, you're delusional. You're fighting a problem that isn't there. It's possible to like comics for what they offer and it's possible to like comics and still very much enjoy their adaptations for what they offer.

It is amazing to see superheroes portrayed in huge blockbosters. It is not amazing to see superheroes drawn on paper. It's just not. I'm sorry if you can't see that, but the big two certainly have.
>>
>>88035943
>superior medium
Explain how the comic medium is superior to the film medium.
>>
>>88035909
>impact
>audiences
>famous
Why do you keep talking about this instead of quality? What's more popular is irrelevant. I'm not going to address your rambling about faithfulness because no one has brought that up except you.
>>
File: yanofano.gif (866KB, 200x191px) Image search: [Google]
yanofano.gif
866KB, 200x191px
>>88035943
Nigga I'd wager I've read more than you. Film's still superior. No need to get salty over it.
>>
File: look of superiority.png (481KB, 553x827px) Image search: [Google]
look of superiority.png
481KB, 553x827px
>>88034761
>Movies are no better or worse than comics as a medium.
>>
>>88035965
Moving pictures hurt my eyes.
Seriously though I'm pretty sure he's not arguing that at all. Just that they're equal. Also disagreeable, but more understandable.
>>
>>88035965
>no runtime limit
>no censorship
>not having to worry about an actor aging
>60 years of stories building on one another
>detailed coloring

yeah that is superior to marvel's quipfests with no color grading and shitty villains
>>
>>88036002
>greentext is an argument
>>
>>88036025
>yeah that is superior to marvel's quipfests with no color grading and shitty villains
Wait which medium we talking about?
>>
File: truth.png (482KB, 1000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
truth.png
482KB, 1000x4000px
>>88034761

Incorrect. Any live action medium is inherently inferior to things like comics, cartoons, and video games, which can literally do anything without limit.
>>
>>88036025
Also
This point is squarely within film's favor. Status Quo is a massive shit in comics' court.
>>
>>88036070
>video games
Am I being baited here?
>>
>>88035344
I'm actually a little bummed out that these two supposedly aren't friends any more.
>>
File: 1417518326935.jpg (15KB, 252x233px) Image search: [Google]
1417518326935.jpg
15KB, 252x233px
>>88036070
Music's nourishes the soul, it's peak medium. Your chart a shit.
>>
File: saynamoresaynamore.gif (5KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
saynamoresaynamore.gif
5KB, 100x100px
>>88036100
You'd think they'd be closer than ever considering.
grilPepe's Rosa right?
>>
>>88035982
Because no one gives a shit about them being masterpieces. Just because you don't like them and thus, think they're poor quality doesn't mean they aren't "good" to most people who watch them. Why do you think McDonalds serves billions of hamburgers every day despite their food being mediocre to the nth degree? It's cheap and it tastes decent going down and it's readily available.

It's true just because something is popular doesn't make it good, but just because you think something is bad doesn't mean other people aren't fine with it and also doesn't mean other people don't enjoy it.

You're literally asking "Why do people talk about why they're excited for these movies when 'I' think they aren't any good?"

You're asking why people like something and I'm telling you why, but you keep dismissing the explanation because YOU don't like the movies.

Plenty of people like cape movies fine. And we like going and seeing them fine. And we look forward to the new ones that come out.
>>
>>88035947
So superior visuals is all you need to be better? I bet you think the Transformers movies are the best thing ever.

What about depth? Plot? Character development?
>>
>>88035113

>WAH WHY DONT PEOPLE SHARE THE SAME OPINION AS ME

the movies are great entertainment flicks, but get over yourself dude. some people just enjoy things that you don't.
>>
>>88036070
Comic books are literature, so you're wrong.
>>
>>88036074
Have you tried reading non superhero books? They are still comics, and so still prove they're a superior medium than movies.
>>
>>88035982
Because quality is highly subjective and seriously using this as an argument leads to a cycle of sore salty snobbery?
Sentry's story arc is the very best Marvel has produced in the past 20 years, fight me fagt.
>>
>>88036025
>no runtime limit
20 odd pages

>no censorship
What is the comics code

But writer/artist do age, and on some artists it's hit them fucking hard

>60 years of stories building on one another
By this logic, soap operas are the greatest thing known to man because they've been running for so long

>detailed coloring
Are you mad your alien waifu didn't come out in the same colour on the big screen?
>>
>>88036150
>>88036175
>they don't need to be masterpieces it's just entertainment xD

The issue of their quality is literally what I was addressing in the first place. If you aren't interested in discussing that why did you even open the thread? If you really think these movies are better than comics then give arguments besides their popularity.
>>
>>88036185
Many. Give me an Incal movie pls.
>>
>>88036212
>20 odd pages
What are graphic novels?

>What is the comics code
The thing that was abolished years ago?

>Are you mad your alien waifu didn't come out in the same colour on the big screen?
You love Marvel's lack of color grading and TV shots, don't you?
>>
>>88034761
>Like movies are an award given to the best comics, like a step up. Movies are no better or worse than comics as a medium.

That's not why people say that, dumbass. People say that because comics are a niche market, much less mainstream than movies, let alone blockbuster movies produced for mass, global consumption. So when a movie gets made from a product in a niche market, that already has a niche audience within that niche market, i.e. GotG or Dr.Strange, it's doubly unheard of that big Hollywood companies want to take such a risk on a property that doesn't have a good sales history while compared to mainstream cinema.
>>
>>88036271
That only address the "I can't believe" part, not "What a time to be alive!"
99% of superhero movies are a downgrade from their source material.
>>
>>88036218
tbf the fact that we're specifically talking capeshit here, Mahvel capeshit at that, puts a big ol' stopper on that.
And I say that as a Marvelfag. I love them and their universe but let's be real; they're a marketing machine first and an arthouse second, have been since the 60s. IDS ENDERDAINMEBB XDDDD is a wholly acceptable statement here.

Also critiques like QUIPS and CHARACTERS are dependent on all sorts of moving parts that are relevant to either core medium so it seems redundant to bring up.
>>
>>88036327
>they're a marketing machine first and an arthouse second
Only behind cameras. When you judge exclusively what they've put out then they've produced a lot more literature and art than the MCU. Just look at Miller, Alex Ross, Barry Windsor-Smith, Jack Kirby.

Quips aren't redundant to point out when you consider specifically what the movies have adapted. I don't remember Ultron making jokes in the comics.
>>
File: janefoster.jpg (89KB, 400x423px) Image search: [Google]
janefoster.jpg
89KB, 400x423px
>>88036298
Have you actually read their source material senpai? Like, the specific eras and arcs, no "wtf Thor 2 wasn't anything like God Butcher".
It was oftentimes bleary, retarded, and susceptible to many of the problems the movies supposedly have (shit where'd you think they picked it up from).
>>
"What a time to be alive!" Is the reaction of older long time comic fans who thought they'd never get to see most of the characters they love in live action on a movie screen. As long as the movie isn't completely terrible it's exciting to see something you've loved for years, but has been confined to 2 dimensions, come to life. It's really that simple.
>>
>>88036438
Why can't God Butcher be quoted when it's proof comics can do a better job than movies?
Yeah, I've read its source material. Ultron's origin was better than Age Of Ultron. Stan Lee did a better job with the Avenger's origin than Joss Whedon. Even the awful Ultimate Thor told a better Thor origin than the Thor movie. Ultimates did a better job designing a realistic Hawkeye and Widow than the movies, and also in their characterisation of Nick Fury. the list goes on and on.
>>
>>88035947
I don't like movies anon. Comics are my preferred form of entertainment. And I do think seeing a Ditko piece drawn by one dude is more amazing than something it took 100 keyboard jockies to put together- and still>>88035124
based off the work of Ditko. Yeah.
Stop pretending you like comics. It is okay to just like movies. They suck, but it's okay to like things that suck.
>>88035124
>impoetance, like I give a fuck.
>>
>>88036438
Thor is a panel from Thor 121, the run actually improves dramatically after that.
Thor 131 alone is far better than any of the MCU stories.
>>
>>88036494
>Aaron over Kirby
Maybe you should just stick to your movies.
>>
>>88036460
>Muh visuals!!! It's not 2D anymore!!!!
what about the plot?
>>
>>88036604
I never said Kirby was inferior, retard. I said Ultimate Thor was inferior.
>>
>>88034761

The movies tend to be WORSE than the comics theyre based on.

So X getting a movie would be the WORST thing to happen to a property
>>
>>88036684
this
>>
>>88034761
Because deep down everyone knows that modern comics are unbearably unreadably bad and they'd rather see their favorite characters in a movie than have to endure the shitfests that are modern comics.
>>
>>88036723
>deep down
We're very open about comics being shitty anon, there's nothing deep down about it
>>
>>88036406
Ultron was based off of the brainwaves of Tony Stark in this setting and not Hank Pym. It was straight-up attention to detail, there are better examples to choose from.

>Just look at Miller, Alex Ross, Barry Windsor-Smith, Jack Kirby.
Notice how the examples are a lot fewer and further between than DC, let alone creator-owned work? And I'd dispute Kirby, as far as I understand he was primarily a working-class family man trying to put food on the table. Dude's own technique shared more in common with printing presses than human artists. Also Ross might be a bad example for the strength of the artform, since his primary concern is making things look photorealistic anyway.
btw I recommend the Netlfix shows
>>
>>88036723
>modern comics
>sandman overture
>providence
>vision
>atomic robo
>unbearably bad
Sure, please, lord, give us movies of these series so that we can survive.
>>
>>88036624
>Why can't God Butcher be quoted when it's proof comics can do a better job than movies
You're the retard, retard.
>>
>>88036610
What about it? Of course I'd prefer higher quality in both comics and movies. I'm just answering the initial question of the OP. There's really no argument here to be had. It's not a competition. Each medium has it's own strengths and weaknesses.
>>
>>88036494
Because God Butcher was cool for reasons that can be applied to just about any other medium too.
>Even the awful Ultimate Thor told a better Thor origin than the Thor movie
Okay, yeah, nah, now we're just into bullshit territory. Did y'all leave after Act 2 or what?
>>
>>88036787
Ultron having a justification in-universe has no relevance to whether it's better or worse. It was a decision of the filmmakers to change his personality to make him shallower.

>>88036787
Again, explaining why Kirby drew like he drew is saying nothing. He was a visionary with ten times the imagination and discipline than any other artist from nowadays. The point is yes, comics produce more art pieces than movies.
>>
>>88036787
Kirby made great comics, his social class and work ethic have nothing to do with it.
What a stupid, stupid thing to say.
>>
File: 3x14_Cox_talks_to_Ben.jpg (646KB, 2700x1800px) Image search: [Google]
3x14_Cox_talks_to_Ben.jpg
646KB, 2700x1800px
>>88036826
>It's not a competition
>>
>>88036817
not an argument
>>
>>88036610
Variable in either medium. And oftentimes improved upon by the movies anyway.
>>
>>88036861
I don't argue with retards, anon.
>>
>>88036881
Please explain how any Marvel movie improved the plot of its original comics. Seriously, I can't wait.
>>
>>88036586
Okay.
Hopefully they adapt more of that and less of the pre-Thor 121 material then. :^)
>>
>>88036890
not an argument
>>
>>88036902
Why not? The dialogues would have more prose than anything shown in the previous Thor movies so far.
>>
>>88036847
>more art pieces than movies.
Is that a numerical fact? How do you measure that?
>>
File: 1420464386198.jpg (20KB, 420x300px) Image search: [Google]
1420464386198.jpg
20KB, 420x300px
>>88036548
>And I do think seeing a Ditko piece drawn by one dude is more amazing than something it took 100 keyboard jockies to put together
Well given that the latter's easily 100 times more impressive...
>but it's okay to like things that suck
Naturally, why else would you be here defending children's books from the 60s and Mark fucking Millar?
>>
>>88036962
There are dozens of marvel movies, there are thousands of marvel comics

>>88036968
>children's books
If you care to read them you'd notice the plots are far too complex for a child
>>
>>88036167
All variable in either medium.
Seriously give the TV shows a go. More time to allow those things to breath.
>>
>>88034761
Does it really matter though since people enjoy the movies and enjoy seeing those characters on screen? Not to mention, people can't be bothered reading anything these days. Movies are cheaper to buy.
>>
>>88036847
>early Ultron
>not shallow
k
anon he was literally fucking born yesterday
>>
>>88037022
you're right why complain about plot in transformers people enjoy them lmao
>>
>>88037038
And yet he was more menacing and with less lips than the abomination from the movie.
>>
>>88034761
Because normies are too stupid to read.
>>
>>88036858
Not saying he didn't. Just that he did so by happenstance, not by some commitment to artistry.
so NO U
>>
>>88037075
But not so stupid that they still need pictures.
>>
>>88036968
At least, I have seen the media I am criticizing anon. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, and I didn't defend Miilar at all. Nice.
>>
>>88037042
Well, considering how much money those movies make, there are people who DO enjoy them.
>>
File: Easily..jpg (276KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Easily..jpg
276KB, 1920x1080px
>>88036901
_______Thor.
>>
>>88037106
Films are a series of moving pictures to stimulate motion. So yes, you're right, they're even dumber.
>>
>>88037142
Good thing this thread is discussing their quality, not their popularity.

>>88037150
>Natalie Portman was an improvement over Kirby
Please, hang yourself.
>>
>>88036993
I have. They ain't.
Mayhaps you overestimate yourself. Kidding.
>>88037115
Oh? So you weren't the one singing the praises of the Ultimate universe?
>>
>>88037188
Natalie Portman was from the Kirby, don't cherry pick nonny.
>>
>>88037211
>Oh? So you weren't the one singing the praises of the Ultimate universe?
As the anon who did bring up Ultimate, I specifically brought up the Ultimate Thor series. It still isn't written by Millar. Just admit you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>88037188
Why do you care that much?

They're considered to be good quality movies. There not going to be the next Chimes at Midnight or anything.
>>
>>88037171
You just can't take a joke can you?
>>
>>88037234
>from the Kirby
what does this even mean

In what way or shape was a shallow CGI fest filled with quips and that woman's acting an improvement over KIRBY?
>>
I never thought I'd live to see the day when comic films became mainstream enough to emulate how horror flicks impacted 80's and early 90's society. Unfortunately, we're eventually gonna hit critical mass and it'll burn itself out.
>>
>>88037247
Why did you open a thread discussing something you don't care about?
>>
>>88035452
You're a total fool
>>
>>88037244
And Hawkeye, and Widow...
>>
>>88037275
I do care about it. Just not as much as you seem to.
>>
>>88037234
They wrote her out fairly early on, anon #136 is her last apperence. kirby went on to do another 40+ issues. And she was a completely different character. She was Don Blake's nurse, not a physicist.
Try again.
>>
>>88037278
I'm not sure what you mean. Hawkeye and Widow never had series
>>
>>88037304
You're literally saying
>people like mindless fun lmao, why do you ask for actual depth
>>
>>88037273
>muh bubble
People have saying this shit since Spider-Man 1. I hope they realize "superhero" isn't a genre, eventually.
>>
>>88035084
>Nobody expected Ant Man, Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, or Black Panther to get a movie at all even after the success of Iron Man because they aren't very well known heroes.

steel had a movie fucking 20 years ago.
being well known doesnt matter
>>
>>88037211
>defending ultimate
Not just no, anon, but fuck no and fuck you for being a wilful retard.
>>
>>88037349
>I hope they realize "superhero" isn't a genre, eventually.
Considering the MCU's kind of formulaic, assembly-line schlock they regurgitate out every semester, it might as well be.
>>
File: 1422456533989.jpg (61KB, 604x314px) Image search: [Google]
1422456533989.jpg
61KB, 604x314px
>>88037258
NOW who's the one who doesn't know what they're talking about? :^)
We've been over this part already in this very thread anon. The movie's an adaptation of early, Kirby-penned Thor, and it did a way better job making a fulfilling satisfying story arc out of his origin than those comics did, which maybe you;d care to noticed if you weren't so unhealthily obsessed with Natalie Portman. Mangog or Herc and all that cooler cosmic stuff you seem to think comprised the entirety of Kirby Thor was irrelevant to his origin story and didn't show up.
>>
>>88037430
>the MCU is all superhero movies
lol
>>
>>88037326
Yes, why ask for depth when it doesn't need any?
>>
>>88037426
Geez sorry all you anons look the same to me.
>>
>>88037453
You haven't read many comics, have you? They are perfectly capable of having depth.
>>
>>88037440
Kirby's prose, dialogue, strokes, line weight and design sensibilities are still better than anything from the movie.
>>
>>88037388
WB are retarded, they exceed the rule.
>>
>>88037462
And still no one brought up Millar.
>>
>>88037465
Yes, but I was talking about the movies and not the comics.
>>
>>88037443
Considering that they're all the public flocks to and speaks about on Facebook, yeah. It's not like anybody cares about Blade, the Donner Superman films or even Nolan's Batman trilogy anymore.
>>
>>88037499
And I was talking about the differences between the mediums. Read the OP.
>>
>>88037349
We had nowhere near the amount of superhero films back in 2002. If you told me back then that we'd actually have a well-made Ant-Man that was a hit, I'd say you were full of shit.

But with every studio frantically trying to create their own cinematic franchise so that they could reap in guaranteed megabucks like the MCU and Star Wars does, people are eventually get superhero fatigue. Fans will still flock to it, but the mainstream will turn to other genres.

Personally, I'm more into TV shows now. It's a better medium to develop comic adaptations.

>>88037388
Except Steel was a piss-poor rendition. I'm surprised someone actually remembers that crap. The 90's was not a good era for comic adaptations.
>>
>>88034761
While this may be true, if you had told me back in the 90's that in 20 years everyone in America would know who Ant-Man and Hawkeye are there's no way I would have believed you.

Some comic characters ingrained themselves into pop culture decades ago. You could say the phrase "bitten by a radioactive _____" and pretty much everyone would get the reference even before the Toby Maguire movies happened. Same goes for Hulk or Captain America. You didn't need to know anything about comics to know who these characters were.
But Doctor Strange? Rocket Raccoon? Falcon?
These were nerds-only characters and we just assumed they always would be. Maybe someone would make an X-Men movie one day, or maybe Wonder Woman, but Captain America? Never.

And here we are where Groot, Hank Pym, Falcon, Rhodey, Drax, and a host of other characters we thought would always be nerds-only are the most successful film franchise ever. Black Widow is on cereal boxes. Bucky is on soda cans. It's more than just the fact that they were in a movie, it's the fact that the movies they were in got so fucking HUEG after more hollywood-action-friendly characters like Punisher fizzled out three times in a row. It seems surreal that a movie with Captain America, Black Widow, Hawkeye and Thor outsold Batman's best attempt.
>>
File: nRMrxNh.jpg.png (19KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
nRMrxNh.jpg.png
19KB, 200x200px
>>88037171
>Films are a series of moving pictures
>Films
>Film
>>
>>88037507
>>88037532
So let the MCU die, there would still be a lot of superhero movies. I repeat: "heroes" are not a genre. There is no bubble to explode.
>>
>>88037517
Yes, so?

I was still talking about the movies.
>>
>>88034761
Because it's cool to see the heroes you like in a movie.
>>
>>88037533
>>88037596
>muh seeing the heroes is flashy, fuck plots with depth
>muh popularity has anything to do with quality
Why make the same points proven wrong posts above? Why not read the thread first?
>>
>>88037533
>It seems surreal that a movie with Captain America, Black Widow, Hawkeye and Thor outsold Batman's best attempt.
It helps that Disney made damn sure none of their Marvel films were standalone. People were starving to see those sneak peeks and Easter Eggs in the credits.

>>88037555
I'm really hoping WB gets its shit together, but I honestly have little faith with their movies.
>>
File: 1460467366301.jpg (108KB, 534x820px) Image search: [Google]
1460467366301.jpg
108KB, 534x820px
>>88037247
Yeah I feel this needs emphasized. If Marvel Studios were adapting A Contract With God or Enigma or DaveMcKean's work with Gaiman to this standard there'd be more reason to complain. But both the source material just as removed from high art as the adaptations OP's so mad about. Both are seriously intended as simple fun, once they do a Silver Surfer Reuiem movie full to the brim of quips these reactinos will make much more sense.
In other words:
>>88037326
IT'S
FUCKING
CAPESHIIIIIT
>>
>>88037648
>IT'S
>FUCKING
>CAPESHIIIIIT
Like Miracleman? Like Watchmen? Like Wildcats Version 3.0? There is no excuse for mediocrity. Not that it has anything to do with OP's point anyway. The question was "why are movies regarded as an improvement to comics when they're shallow husks compared to the comics". So what are you yammering about?
>>
>>88037532
>people are eventually get superhero fatigue.
I've been hearing this for years. Reminds me of the "This was widely believed to be the end of Nixon's political career" line that happens over and over in Dave Barry Slept Here.

People in the 50's thought that science fiction movies were just a fad, too. For that matter, people in the 50's thought superhero *comics* were over and everyone started publishing romance stories instead (look it up).
>>
>>88037482
>prose, dialogue
Not for anyone <60
>strokes, line weight
True by default.
>design sensibilities
Negro the Asgard parts were directly Kirby-inspired and great for it.
>>
File: 822ed7ac.jpg (135KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
822ed7ac.jpg
135KB, 1280x720px
>>88037491
Except for the part where they did.
Find it yoself I aint doing the work for you.
>>
>>88037756
See >>88037244
and >>88036494
Those are the only mentions of the ultimate universe. Nope, no millar.
>>
>>88037707
Two out of three of those are deconstructionist works that purposefully point out how inherently stupid the superhero comic formula is. Nice try.
And compared to the specific comics they're adapting, nah. They really, really are not. It's level ground, at worst. Unless you're a DnAfag.
>>
>>88037756
No, they did not. And you are a retard.
>>
File: oshit what.gif (939KB, 245x350px) Image search: [Google]
oshit what.gif
939KB, 245x350px
>>88037326
>why do you ask for actual depth
>Because no matter how much you CLAIM to love me, you could NEVER have a Frost Giant sitting on the Throne Of Asgard!"
>Odin immediately falls into the Odinsleep
>Throne immediately offered to Loki without him even needing to ask
>"There is always a purpose to EVERYTHING your father does."
>>
>>88037872
They are still cape comics with quality. So explain why cape comics are not allowed to have quality.

>the specific comics they're adapting
see >>88036494
>Ultron's origin was better than Age Of Ultron. Stan Lee did a better job with the Avenger's origin than Joss Whedon. Even the awful Ultimate Thor told a better Thor origin than the Thor movie. Ultimates did a better job designing a realistic Hawkeye and Widow than the movies, and also in their characterisation of Nick Fury. the list goes on and on
>>
>>88037862
What did Millar write, anon?
>>
>>88037890
what? use your words anon.
>>
Well, I think we've learned from out mistakes here.
Never bother talkng to movietards.
>>
>>88037954
He didn't design Hawkeye or Widow's design, no. That was Brian Hitch. Please, go on.
>>
>>88037872
Still comics.
You are a sad little spaz.
>>
>>88037962
Use your reading comprehension.
I provided an example of masterfully subtle depth that you completely missed in the first Thor.
Just because you aren't seeing it doesn't mean it isn't there. And the fact that you still don't get it after having it greentexted at you means that "actual depth" is just wasted on you anyway.
>>
>>88034761
Wrong, movies are objectively the inferior medium, it's just that comics that push the medium to its ultimate potential are rare.
>>
>>88038094
I was asking because there was nothing deep about what you greentext'd. Foreshadowing does not equal depth. The movie still gives you nothing to think about.
>>
>>88037948
I read Ultron's debut just yesterday by happenstance. It's pretty damn bad. He ain't even menacing, chump blows up by fucking tripping.
And Avengers #1 was nothing special, that's just being silly. Narrative, dialogue, visuals, movie bodies it. All you're doing is regurgitating opinions. Whaddya want me to do, tell me you're wrong for liking something?
>>
>>88038064
You're the one emotional enough to resort to name calling. :^)
>>
>>88038224
Ultron from the comics was more menacing from the get-go just by lacking stupid lips like in the movie. Stan Lee's dialogue was a hundred times better written than Joss Whedons quips. Kirby's art is years, years above the MCU's tv show cinematography.

If you're going to dismiss any discussion between two things with "lol opinions are subjective, everyone likes different things" then why open the thread?
>>
>>88038212
Do you know what foreshadowing IS?
Because I don't think you do.
Frigga's comment came after Odin went nappytime. Odin was trying to prove to Loki that he and Frigga really did see him as a legitimate son and heir by putting Loki in a situation that directly disproved Loki's belief that he would be discriminated against. Frigga's comment punctuated the fact that the exact opposite of Loki's expectation had just occurred.
Foreshadowing is kind of the opposite, where they hint at something that is going to happen later, this was supposed to draw your attention to the fact that the scene that just passed had proven Loki wrong.
>>
>>88038324

Stan Lee didn't create Ultron you fucking moron.
>>
>>88038448
Granted, but subtlety doesn't make up for a complete lack of subtext.
>>
>>88038497
The discussion was about Ultron AND Avengers, moron. Stan Lee did Avengers #1.
>>
>>88035113
>>>/tv/
>>
File: 1476885530208.png (1006KB, 735x731px) Image search: [Google]
1476885530208.png
1006KB, 735x731px
>>88037628

Why not read the thread first?

There's no reason to read the thread when you're this adamant on acting like a /tv/ contrarian. Give us something that hasn't been addressed in dozens of other threads and maybe you'll get an original fucking response
>>
>>88035343
>a comic cannot rival a feature length film's depth on the plot.

The worst aspect of movies as a medium is the issue of narrative. Narrative/plot are held hostage by a movies length and pacing. Novels and comics are just better at handling narrative/plot than movies are.
>>
>>88036070
>>>/v/
>>
>>88038606
>>88038574
Why come to a thread discussing what's good or bad about movies when you don't want to discuss it?
>>
yeah, go ahead and tell that to someone other than a comics board on 4chan xDDD
>>
>>88038678
what's the point of this post
>>
>>88038671

You're confusing a discussion with a 2-hour long shill. I don't have or want time for the latter
>>
>>88038324
I disagree on all 3 accounts. Your language is ridiculously hyperbolic. Ultron's "lips" were not noticable to anyone who wasn't already obsessing over them, let alone enough to ruin any sense of menace. Whedon ain't amazing but he wrote more actual emotion and humanity into that movie's dialogue than all of Stan's operatic bluster, both when there were and were not quips. Kirby himself would be proud of the energy in the Hulk-cage scene or power the Always Angry scene.
>If you're going to dismiss any discussion between two things with "lol opinions are subjective, everyone likes different things" then why open the thread?
Because i thought the thread would be about discussion and not shouting everyone else down? You're the one who re-posted "this this and this are better because I said so" in lieu of an argument.
What do you want from this thread? Because if it's just to convince anons to see things your way it's been a bust.
>>
>>88038502
I don't think you know what subtext is, either, to be honest, assuming that we're still talking about Thor. Thor is an outstanding film that you totally failed to understand. You skimmed the very surface of "superhero origin" and paid it no further attention.
Do yourself a favor and watch it again.
>>
>>88038838
>shill
Truly, memes have consumed your brain.
>>
>>88038855
Saying it's a bust it's hyperbolic too, honestly, given there's several people supporting both points.
>>
>>88038919
I'm talking personally and assumed those with OP were already with OP, so fair enough. I'm being egocentric.
>>
>>88036793
Vision would work better as a mini series desu senpai
>>
>>88039149
I think he was being sarcastic.
>>
>>88039182
That doesn't excuse poor booking
>>
>>88039149
Agreed.
>>
>>88036901
Civil War
>>
>>88039256
>Someone who was being mind controlled killed my father
>This is definitely reason enough to fight against you to death
>>
>>88036025
>Censorship

Big two self censorship themselves. No smoking, nudity, swears above damn, etc.

Should have gone with no worry of special effects budget.
>>
>>88035113
The billions of dollars marvel people roll around in for beds each night disagrees.
>>
>>88039967
So the Transformer movies are good because they make money, right? Moron.
>>
>>88040047
But "WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE" has everything to do with movies being made, not if they have artistic value.

That is what people mean by that. These are movies we wouldn't have seen made years ago. How much you like them isn't relevant at all, the fact that they make huge money so have some kind of mass appeal to keep them being made, is.
>>
>>88040458
You said the money disagreed with them being awful. Mass appeal doesn't change that. The Transformers movies also have mass appeal.
>>
>>88034761
If you lived through the 80s or 90s, and all the shitty comic book adaptations which took huge liberties with the source material, then what we are seeing with the MCU is something we could only dream of back then.
>>
>>88039655
BODIED
>>
>>88034761
I don't get this line of reasoning, OP.

Like many other people here said, I never once thought I'd actually get cinematic universes not only based on Marvel or DC Comics, but ones that (for the former, at least), actually resemble their comic book universes. Considering how Hollywood never up until now never really respected superhero comics fully, I didn't think we'd ever get movies actually more or less faithful to the source material. I never thought we'd ever get an Avengers or Justice League movie. I never thought they'd actually go somewhat deeper and give me an Ant-Man movie, or a GotG movie.

Now mind you, I'm not very happy with the state or quality of the DCEU, but the fact that we're getting an Aquaman movie honestly blows my freaking mind.
>>
>>88040528
>>88040633
doesn't matter much when they're all terrible movies
>>
>>88040755
>doesn't matter much when they're all terrible movies
MCU has been consistently good-to-mediocre. Don't even pretend like they've been bad, man. That's such a tryhard overstatement.

Now the DCEU, on the other hand...I'm a much bigger DCfag and it pains me that it's been more or less shit so far.
>>
>>88040962
>Don't even pretend like they've been bad, man
You really like being fed shit, don't you? Between Thor, Thor 2, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Ant-Man, Ultron... I can't decide which one is more embarrassing.
>>
>>88034761

If there's one thing movies unquestionably have that comics don't it's mainstream appeal/mainstream acceptance. So when a Guardians of the Galaxy movie is made by a large Hollywood studio and is successful enough to warrant a sequel, that....I dunno, has significance, or something.
>>
>>88041119
>You really like being fed shit, don't you? Between Thor, Thor 2, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Ant-Man, Ultron... I can't decide which one is more embarrassing.
Ant-Man was actually a pretty good movie.

I'll give you the rest but then they weren't outright bad either. Mostly just aggressively mediocre or disappointing with a few good scenes here or there. I wouldn't rewatch them myself but the MCU as a whole has been incredible to watch unfold.
>>
>>88035510

OF COURSH
>>
>>88034761
Everything Comics do, movies can do it better. Movies are the ultimate form of art.
>>
>>88035113

I've read some of the comics and their source isn't exactly a pot o gold, desu
>>
>>88035242
Painting died when photography was invented. That is why people paint abstract things nowadays.
It is the same with comics and movies.

the traits you mentioned are irrelevant but could be emulated by movies, just look at some parts of American Splendor and A Scanner darkly.

the only advantage of comics is that they are much cheaper so they get more freedom
>>
File: 13563696956367.gif (186KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
13563696956367.gif
186KB, 480x270px
>>88036070
>books
>mid tier
>video games
>god tier
>>
>>88035113
>These movies are awful
So they're super accurate to the source then.
>>
File: 1455852050963.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1455852050963.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>88038882

Why make comments like

>>88035113
>>88036218
>>88037326

and expect anything other than memes? Come up with an actual argument instead of "Hurr this shit sux PROVE TO RONG, PROTIP YA KENT". Your only rebuttals are a lengthy "nuh uh"
>>
>>88043662

Books are as good as comics, cartoons, and video games on the "do anything" front, but they lose points due to lack of visuals. They're missing an entire dimension, and that hurts their ability to tell a story. They're still far ahead of any live action medium, though.
>>
>>88041119
>Ant-Man

Why do people hate Ant-Man? It's one of the better MCU films.
Thread posts: 213
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.