[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some great stories from the bronze age of Batman?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: CrimeAlley.jpg (169KB, 500x651px) Image search: [Google]
CrimeAlley.jpg
169KB, 500x651px
What are some great stories from the bronze age of Batman?
>>
>>88011327
Dennis O'Neil's run is mostly solid, not necessarily always "great". Englehart's run is probably the pinnacle of 70s Batman.
>>
>>88011409
>Dennis O'Neil's run is mostly solid, not necessarily always "great"
I hear this a lot, but it's hard to find a better recommendation than that. As much as I love stories like the Demon saga and OP, but a lot of his stories don't exactly hold up due to the writing style of the time.

>Englehart's run is probably the pinnacle of 70s Batman.

Any recommendations aside from Strange Apparitions, which I own?
>>
Anything with Frank Robbins on art as well as writing. Specifically detective 421 and 427 (those numbers may be off). That should be the one where Batman breaks into prison and the one where he plays Russian Roulette.

Also, the run written/edited by Archie Goodwin with art by Alex Toth, Walt Simonson, and Jim Aparo. If you track down the original issues they'd in the 100 page format with some pretty cool reprints. Probably my favorite comics format.
>>
>>88011539
I think that was the only time Englehart wrote the Batman titles during the Bronze Age.
>>
The Alan Brennert collection that just came out is great, good Earth-2 Batman and team-ups in there. Pre-ordered the Bob Haney Brave and the Bold Omnibus that comes out next month for more wacky team-up goodness.

Haven't read a ton of the O'Neil/Adams stuff, but I should probably pick up that omnibus too sometime.
>>
File: 5531[1].jpg (60KB, 400x582px) Image search: [Google]
5531[1].jpg
60KB, 400x582px
>>88011409
I agree about O'Neil, though I think part of that is the wide variety of artists.

That said, as much as I like Englehart's Batman there's just something about it that seems off to me. It's basically a 70s Marvel comic... but with Batman.

I like 70s Marvel and I like Batman but when I think classic DC I'm usually thinking of those great stand alone stories. There's a certain platonic idealism at play, I suppose.

>>88012037
Excellent taste, though I think you're thinking of Detective Comics #426. Here's the awesome cover by Mike Kaluta

>>88012149
You've got great taste as well! The Haney Brave and the Bolds aren't for everyone but I think they're the best Batman comics of all time. Certainly the best Team-up run, other than Gerber's Marvel Two-In-One. Great art too! Aparo, Cardy, and of course, Adams.

Speaking of Earth-2 Batman, has anyone ever read Brave and the Bold #200. I've always been curious about it because the idea of a deluxe Batman comic with art by Dave Gibbons sounds awesome. Unfortunately it's never been reprinted to my knowledge and the fact that it also contains the first appearance of the Outsiders had driven the value up to outrageous amounts.
>>
>>88012899
Back when they planned to get a Batman movie off the ground in the early 80's, they planned on basing it on Englehart's Batman, up until DKR and Killing Joke were made.
>>
>>88012899
>Speaking of Earth-2 Batman, has anyone ever read Brave and the Bold #200. I've always been curious about it because the idea of a deluxe Batman comic with art by Dave Gibbons sounds awesome. Unfortunately it's never been reprinted to my knowledge and the fact that it also contains the first appearance of the Outsiders had driven the value up to outrageous amounts.

I did read it. it was kinda interesting. A villain on Earth-2 falls gets injured and falls into a coma during like the 50's (I can't remember exactly, but it was when E2 Bruce and Dick were around and Dave Gibbons was emulating a Dick Sprang style). The villain wakes up to find out he's been comatose for decades and that Batman's dead. So he decided to attack the Earth-1 Batman by taking control of his Earth-1 doppelganger (who isn't a villain).
>>
>>88012941
I've heard that before and again, I like those comics. I love something like Death Flies The Haunted Skies even more. There's something so pure about those done in one Bronze Age comics.
>>
>>88013019
Thanks man. That does sound fun.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.