[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is American Alien worth a read?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: American Alien.jpg (430KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
American Alien.jpg
430KB, 1920x1080px
Is American Alien worth a read?
>>
Issues #1 and #2 are OK.

Issues #3 #4 and #5 are really good. #5 is one of my favourite early Superman takes ever.

Issues #6 and #7 are OK again. Weirdly Landis kinda misses Lobo's voice, he doesn't write him too well.

By 'OK' I think I actually mean slightly bad, but some of that is just gonna be because in general I don't like Landis' style very much. I think Green Valley is pretty fucking terrible, for instance. So I'm rating it up slightly on the basis your personal taste is probably different.
>>
>>87986146
Yeah
>>
>>87986146
Way better than MOS and BvS at least.
>>
>>87986146
It focuses more on clark being a farm boy from kansas with superpowers and growing up more than clark being an alien and separate from humanity. Personally I prefer that kind of clark. Less jesus alegory and more just a good kid trying to help feel.

Be warned some people call it edgy and call this clark a chad but don't take that to seriously.
>>
>>87986248
>>87986291
>>87986313
Is it a Superbro book? Or in it's own continuity?
>>
>>87986447
It's in its own continuity.
>>
>>87986447
It's own continuity completely.
>>
>>87986248
This, basically. I disagree with it being "slightly bad", since American Alien is probably my favorite comic this year besides the Vision. It doesn't have any major flaws and Landis doesn't try to reinvent anything about Superman or his supporting cast (besides Jimmy Olsen being a black hipster).
Issue #3 actually has one of my favorite Superman moments, with Clark yelling at the sky, telling his real parents he's okay and that he hopes their happy.
>>
>>87986248
landis has a real problem giving distinct voices to his characters, he only seems to know how to write young, middle class, adults arguing

the worst by far was luthor, you could tell he sounded like someone trying to sound smart rather than someone with actual class and intelligence
>>
>>87987259
I didn't think Luthor was god-awful and I thought he did manage to give different voices to Ollie, Luthor and Bruce. I liked his Dick Grayson a lot too.
>>
>>87986146
I just got this TPB on Friday. I read the first 4 issues and liked them a lot. I'd say it's worth it. Gonna finish the rest on my lunch break at work on Monday.
>>
>>87986146
It's a better Superman than the New 52, that's for sure.
>>
>>87986146
Man that's such a good cover
>>
Well, it was comfy and on the good side. It was a little inconsistent. Some issues were good, while some were mediocre. Personally #2 was my favourite. It does have a lot of faults, but it's worth reading.
>>
Is this the comic where a drunk Clark is mistaken for Bruce and punches Deathstroke off a boat?
>>
>>87987281
His Dick sounded like Landis ranting on his youtube channel. Even his Pete was a stupid, when he starts prophecising and lecturing Clark all of a sudden in the middle of the conversation.
>>
>>87989346
Yes. Issue 3, IIRC.
>>
>>87986146
No, it's shit. Read Coming of Supermen instead.
>>
>>87989426
Neal Adams' Supes, right?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.