[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At what point does adding diversity become pandering?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 19

File: lady-thor.jpg (1000KB, 1000x1422px) Image search: [Google]
lady-thor.jpg
1000KB, 1000x1422px
At what point does adding diversity become pandering?
>>
>>87976270
When it's shit
>>
>>87976270
When the people responsible for the work try to imply that the diversity is a measure of quality in and of itself.
>>
>>87976270
when marvel does it.

also, remember earth x thor?
>>
>>87976270
Here is the list.

>When it is a corporate decision.
>When the seller uses it as a selling point.
>When criticize is dismissed as "Well you don't like it because you're racist!"
>>
File: bad writing.jpg (365KB, 1332x2048px) Image search: [Google]
bad writing.jpg
365KB, 1332x2048px
>>87976270
about the fifth issue
>>
>>87976270
>Take already existing, well established character and turn him into a different race or gender for diversity points
Why don't you just make new superheroes instead of changing all the current ones if you want more diverse characters?
>>
>>87976420

Because it takes effort
>>
>>87976270
When you go for the shekels.
They think that black people will buy comics with black characters, or trans will buy comics with trans characters.
The thing is those characters are terrible, race and sexual orientation means nothing if the character is plain bad.
>>
>>87976350
The Thor that was actually Thor? What does he have to do with this?
>>87976420
Because that tends to fail and people tend to still call it pandering when they get attention.
>>
>>87976330
this
>>
>>87976420
Because it's way easier to get people to buy Spider-Man than it is to get them to buy Some Black Kid With Spider Powers #1.
>>
>>87976270
When you put out a press release for it.
>>
>>87976300
this.

I'm all for diversity, but when they do shit like this with it >>87976419
It's just bad. I'd love me some diversity in Marvel if they were doing it right, but they are not.
>>
>>87976471
the better lady thor. yeah. i just like that one.
>>
File: Mmm, yes!.jpg (9KB, 426x382px) Image search: [Google]
Mmm, yes!.jpg
9KB, 426x382px
>>87976300
Which is normally when it is done SOLELY for the "diversity" brownie points that liberal writers want.
>>
>>87976270
Are you making a character black or a woman or whatever because you honestly think it fits the character and their personality? Than it's fine if you're a decent writer

Are you making a character black or a woman or whatever specifically for more diversity? It's shit, no matter what it's shit.
>>
>>87976270
At what point will people here recognize that limiting diversity is simply pandering to entitled hetero white males ???
>>
File: 1463203210857.png (536KB, 712x715px) Image search: [Google]
1463203210857.png
536KB, 712x715px
>>87976419
I still cant fathom someone thought this was a good idea.
>>
>>87976462
Black people are about 15 percent of the population. Trans population is somewhere around the same size as the card carrying KKK or Satanists.

They're trying to sell to the hard left, and the virtue signaling, and they'er mostly white, and heterosexual.
>>
>>87976471
>Because that tends to fail and people tend to still call it pandering when they get attention.

What is Simon Baz
What is Ms Marvel
What is Luke Cage
What is Rhodey
What is Jubilee

etc etc etc
>>
>>87976270
When they get speaking roles.
>>
>>87976865

It's not about limiting diversity or not limiting diversity, its about tact and good writing. Changing a character's race is incredibly lazy, and its obvious that you're just trying to get people to praise you for putting brown people in comic books. I'm a brown person and I couldn't give less of a shit honestly, I'd prefer that people put more effort into solving real problems instead of wanting to see themselves in funnybooks

let's not pretend that the real point of all this is anything than people finding ways to do nothing and then pat themselves on the back for it
>>
>>87976270
Everything is pandering to someone, don't worry about it.
>>
>>87976270
The second you draw attention to it
>>
>>87976270
When it's not about making new sustainable characters but rather a short-term publicity stunt and attempt at sales boosting.
You know what would be better than The Falcon becoming Captain America for a year and then going back to his spot on the B-List shelf? The Falcon getting a sustainable writer and artist team that ensures he has a long lasting solo book.
>>
>>87976419
Wait? That's it? Is it because she knows about her cancer, or is she seriously just giving her a free pass for being a girl?
>>
>>87976419
Well, as an SJW myself I just showed this to my SJW feminist wife and we both think it's awfully stupid. This is definitely the wrong way to do diversity. There are vastly better ways to acknowledge the adversity underprivileged people go through while representing them in media than this.
>>
>>87977091

>Changing a character's race is incredibly lazy, and its obvious that you're just trying to get people to praise you for putting brown people in comic books.

Don't you think that comic fans being whiny babies about any attempt to make new heroes as or more important than the A Listers is a factor? Of course it comes down to tact and good writing, but I don't think anyone believes that Miles Morales would have succeeded if he'd been some totally new character instead of Spider Man, despite the fact that his story being well-written was the key to his success in the role.

If you want to write a comic book about a black female college-age engineering student and what you feel are the unique story possibilities that allows you to explore, but you know the book will never be printed unless she's the new Iron Man, is it really just taking a lazy route to easy attaboys?
>>
>>87976420
I think there is something to be said with the idea that a lot of the older characters were created at a time when a diverse set of protagonists just wasn't in the cards and that there may be decent ways to pass the mantle of those popular legacy characters onto people in order to better mimic the world we live in and the people that populate it.
>>
>>87977022
>What is Simon Baz
Johns's self-insert faggot that nobody liked until Dogfucker. People complained he's taking page time in shitshow that is Lost Army.
>>
>>87978695
>is she seriously just giving her a free pass for being a girl?
this

Honestly some of the female Thor run has been pretty good but there were a couple of really awful scenes like this one, especially at the start. Acting like she's the first female hero
>>
>>87976270
I don't mind diversification even when it's "pandering" there's nothing inherently wrong with that. it only becomes bad when it's patronizing. like ironheart.
>>
>>87978690

>You know what would be better than The Falcon becoming Captain America for a year and then going back to his spot on the B-List shelf?

This is the real problem. Comic writers are too cowardly and comic readers are too obsessive and bitchy to commit to something like Falcon becoming Cap forever as the new status quo. Fuck, remember when Batgirl became an Asian and her book was one of the best written comics in years and she was an amazingly compelling character, while the old Batgirl became an awesome NEW character named Oracle and completely moved on from her old role and became a more interesting character than she ever had been when she was punching goons? Wasn't it great when they fucking undid all of that shit because even after more than two decades Babs whiny fans needed the cowl back on the "real" Batgirl?

I'm all for passing down mantles to new characters an using that as an excuse to let little black kids feel good about themselves, but the people writing the fucking books never commit no matter how much time passes so even when they do it right in the long run it will always end up a publicity stunt.
>>
>>87978757

> there may be decent ways to pass the mantle of those popular legacy characters onto people in order to better mimic the world we live in and the people that populate it.

If you go about it thinking skin color and ethnicity first, you're doomed to fail.
>>
>>87976270
As soon as there's more than one black guy or woman
>>
>>87978867
People like you is why mass diversity is happening. you validate their stupidity. thanks you dumbfuck.
>>
>>87976330
we can close the thread already.
>>
>>87978737
SJW is an insult you idiot. This is like a black guy calling himself a nigger.
>>
>>87978866

Yes if its an end unto itself. If you think about it first because it is indispensable to the background, arc or plot you want, then you're doing it right.
>>
Marvel knew how to add diversity to their comics without offending everyone, way back when.
I don't think there were as many and numerous complains as now, back when they were introducing people of color like Shang Chi and Black Panther or strong women such as Spiderwoman and She-Hulk.
It was us and only us who were reading comics back then, minorities didn't, but we did embrace and love those characters who were representing minorities and women, and they became famous because we supported them.
Why? Because a) we were not and never were bigots despite them accusing us of it, and b) Marvel wasn't being preachy or offensive about and wasn't adding any new diverse characters at the expense of everyone's favorites, that last part is very important.

Besides, diversity isn't just about skin color, racist liberals. I tend to think Sgt. Fury's howlers were a pretty diverse group with one of them being Italian, another one Jewish, another one southerner, another one British etc. But to you, they're just all white. That's racism. That's exactly what racism is all about.
Second generation X-Men was a very diverse group again, an American, a German, a Russian, a Canadian, an Irish man, that's very diverse even without counting African woman Storm and Jewish girl Kitty. But to racist liberals, they're just all white men.
It's like modern day liberal Americans and SJW's do not even acknowledge there are people who are not born Americans. They can't see past the color of your skin and can't understand that there are many different people out there with vastly different and diverse cultures but they're all dismissed as merely 'white' to them.
>>
>>87978865
The problem is this
>her book was one of the best written comics in years and she was an amazingly compelling character

We're not getting that lately. Yeah people will whine when a character takes over a mantle, especially if it's a Hey Ho Diversity! character. But they tend to shut the fuck up if it's a good character once they've established themselves. Outside of the contrarians and "not muh"s

Jane has been okay at best, Miles is boring. Kamala has had a solid dedicated team but that's slowly being thrown into the grinder as other writers use her.

I think Marvel's problem lately is that they're so focused on the short term that they don't actually give a shit about making these characters work.
>>
>>87977022
>What is Simon Baz
>What is Ms Marvel
These absolutely were called pandering.

And the only reason the other three weren't is because they were before the widespread usage of the internet.
>>
File: 2015_05_13_10_22_10_0.jpg (471KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
2015_05_13_10_22_10_0.jpg
471KB, 960x540px
I have so many questions about Jane as Thor. So many.

"What the fuck is up with her fish-eyes" is near the top.
>>
>>87979079

If all that's true, why was the very first complaint about the Luke Cage netflix show that there were no white characters in a show set in fucking Harlem?
>>
File: 143656565656.jpg (21KB, 236x281px) Image search: [Google]
143656565656.jpg
21KB, 236x281px
>>87976270
When you gender/race swap characters to push political agenda.
>>
When the thing that makes a character diverse is the only notable thing about the character
>>
>>87977022
>What is Luke Cage

Marvel being late to chase the blaxploitation trend in film back in the 70s.
>>
>>87979120
I think the major complain was why Diamondback sucked so bad? And their response: y'all just racists.
>>
>>87979093
>they're so focused on the short term that they don't actually give a shit about making these characters work.

That and movie synergy.
>>
>>87978754
Kamala was a brand new character, and succeeded because the book was good. We've proven we can accept 'diverse' new characters without lazily pallet swapping existing heroes.
>>
>>87979289
She wasn't, but on the other hand Carol has never been a A-lister. Marvel is kind of having trouble with that in their desperate quest to make her one.
>>
You can generally tell when it's pandering when in every interview the creators can't stop gushing about how their new character is such a strong and original idea.
Also if there's inexplicably a crazy amount of marketing based solely on "look it's a woman, please buy"
>>
>>87976270
When /co/ doesn't like it.
>>
>>87979120
>why was the very first complaint about the Luke Cage netflix show that there were no white characters
The fuck are you talking about? Whose first complaint? How do you know it was the first complaint?
>>
>>87976270
when you're genderswapping just for the sake of it. your picture a perfect example of it. make her her own character. Don't make her just Thor with tits.
>>
>>87976270
>At what point does adding diversity become pandering?

At the point when sensitive entitled fanboys begin crying about it, obviously.
>>
File: 1462596286.jpg (2MB, 1815x2792px) Image search: [Google]
1462596286.jpg
2MB, 1815x2792px
In the 70s they added "diversity" to the X-Men the right way. Cyclops didn't become a muslim woman, Jean Grey didn't turn asian. They actually made long-lasting characters that just happened to be African, Native American, etc. without really replacing the O5
>>
>>87976330

I'm one of those people who is all for greater diversity in both who makes the content and who is represented in said content, and I'd have to say yeah, this hit the nail on the head.
>>
>>87976270
It's the comics industry, OP. It's ALL pandering.

When people complain about diversity, what they're really saying is "publishers should only be allowed to pander to US."
>>
>>87979422

You can't make new characters today, though. They don't sell
>>
>>87979479

Only if the stories being told with new characters suck.
>>
>>87979479
All comic characters were new at some point. It's almost like they had talented creators then.
>>
>>87979479
Then the whole industry is a bit of a house of cards riding on an unstable cycle of nostalgia. Idk why comic books aren't sold more in minimarts or grocery stores desu.
>>
File: JAN060307_2._QL80_TTD_.jpg (101KB, 640x985px) Image search: [Google]
JAN060307_2._QL80_TTD_.jpg
101KB, 640x985px
>>87979422
The native american guy lasted like two issues and died though

>>87979493
You can do a pretty good book about a diversity replacement and still have it not sell that well
>>
>>87979422
>Cyclops shocked to see himself there
>>
>>87979505

>Then the whole industry is a bit of a house of cards riding on an unstable cycle of nostalgia.

Yeah, pretty much. There's only so many different stories you can tell about characters that have been around for decades. Without a shift in the paradigm of American comics - something that changes the way people consume and think of American comics - you're doomed to a market full of capeshit books and a handful of original non-capeshit books from indie publishers.

>Idk why comic books aren't sold more in minimarts or grocery stores desu.

Too expensive to do on multiple fronts these days.
>>
>>87976270
>>>/pol/

fuck off and die, please
>>
>>87979546
yea, that would be kind of awkward I'd imagine
>>
>>87976270
When you send the concept to the higher ups to okay and there's no story or character traits beyond their sex/race/sexuality. As long as story and characters isn't written in at the last minute and doesn't take a backseat for progressive atuff I don't care, even if it's a bad comic
>>
>>87976270
Never. Diversity is the natural ptogression.

Eventually, diversity becomes "normal" and triggered shitmartens stop screeching about "Black Spider-Man", "Whor", and "Gay Hawkman", because people (rightly) see this as the natural order..
>>
What a niggerloving board, wow. Sad!
>>
>>87978737
>SJW feminist wife

Is your wife's son doing good in school?
>>
>>87979614

>triggered shitmartens stop screeching

Where do you think you are?
>>
File: Vision calculates being a furry.jpg (247KB, 867x573px) Image search: [Google]
Vision calculates being a furry.jpg
247KB, 867x573px
>>87979479
Then they don't deserve to exist as a company and someone else will step up and fill the void if the market can maintain it. It's evolution.
>>
>>87978865
i fucking hate that orcale become sjw batgirl again
Oracle was a smart attractive character that even tho she was crippled it didn't stop her from being kick ass. she grew from her disability but it wasn't her core, just like how Cassandra Kane inst lesbian batman but a well written deep flawed believable human, then they fuck it all up with the reboot
fuck dc fuck marvel
>>
>>87976270
Who cares if it's a good character? The problem with Whor is they kick out Thor and gave all of his power and his name to that bitch. And her characters still didn't become better. Fuck that.
>>
>>87979653
>not a lesbian batman
But she is a lesbian batman. In a shitty I'm more understandable than batman kind of way. Always hated that.
>>
>>87979661
and now they're bringing back Thor anyway making the whole thing they were trying to do pointless in the long run. Good job Marvel.
>>
>>87979614
People never had a problem with diversity. People have a problem with their favorite characters and series being turned into propaganda platforms for shitty political agendas.

They never invent anything new either, they just "diversify" existing series.
>>
>>87979677
i meant she inst just a lesbian, shes a army brat and she lost her sister and mother, Cassandra Kane is way better than the new batgrrrl
>>
>>87979678
There's a new movie coming out, of course they're bringing Thor back.

Anyone who ever thought Jane Thor was gonna last is an idiot. It was just a short-term change to get some controversy money until Thor: Ragnarok would come out.
>>
>>87978754
>is it really just taking a lazy route to easy attaboys?

Yup.

What you said in your post was pretty much
>Yeah maybe it'd be better if they made new characters, but that's hard! Is it really lazy if they pick the easy way?

Answer: yeah it is. It's the definition of laziness.
>>
Making Jane Foster, a character with literally no fans whatsoever the new Thor was a terrible idea. It doesn't make any sense or even tie in to the real Thor being deemed unworthy.

Female Thor should have been Thor's secret sister who had an accident as a child that Thor could have prevented but didn't, and everybody thought she died.

Or maybe she could have been Thor's bastard daughter that he abandoned and pretended never existed.
>>
>>87978695
>>87978823
She is giving her this free pass once, as a welcome gift.

The second time they faced each other there was a fight
>>
>>87979844
>Female Thor should have been Thor's secret sister who had an accident as a child that Thor could have prevented but didn't, and everybody thought she died.
You mean Angela?
>>
File: THIS.png (40KB, 392x200px) Image search: [Google]
THIS.png
40KB, 392x200px
>>87976330
>>
>>87976270

Replacement stories are basically clickbait. It's telling that the only one that isn't about an character featured in movies is Kamala and that is the only one most people like. That indicates that her creation was motivated by people having ideas for a story, rather than "I'm sure we'll get headlines/sell copies if we shock the readers with THIS".
>>
File: 1434437586003.jpg (248KB, 531x594px) Image search: [Google]
1434437586003.jpg
248KB, 531x594px
>>87976420

Because Marvel doesn't actually give a shit about diversity. It's business. "New Diverse Character-Man" won't create publicity and sell like "Your Favorite Character Is Now Dead and Replaced With A Disabled Transgendered Nonbinary Otherkin-Man."

Marvel is telling their longtime readers to go fuck themselves in order to cash in on short term shock bucks. The longtime fans should be insulted Marvel is dropping them so readily and the SJWs they're trying to cash in on should be insulted that they clearly have no real faith in minority characters or else they would be creating new ones that don't just piggyback off the white male boogeyman ones.

But of course both comic book nerds and SJWs are idiots, so Marvel will continue their bullshit for a long time. They've got Marvel Studios and Disney behind them so they can do whatever stupid shit they want and hemorrhage money forever will no real consequences.
>>
>>87980097
>everyone everywhere should be insulted

Or maybe we could all just enjoy some comics with some new twists to them instead of trying to turn the industry into a perpetual butthurt machine.
>>
>>87976270
When the diversity becomes the main point not the character/book itself

Whor being all "thors can be women too get over it" was pandering, Whor just being the character in a book isn't
>>
>>87979479
Mostly because (like a lot of media) the industry has become fucked

The industry needs to adapt to allow risks that are cheap to happen
>>
>>87980306
>(like a lot of media)

So true, look at how many remakes and reboots Hollywood is pumping out constantly.
>>
>>87976270
when it comes at the expense of the actual story. I'm fine with a female thor (because there's a frog thor, and a horse-alien-warrior thor, and so on). her existence somehow completely obviating the ACTUAL thor by sheer feminine fuckery is what's ridiculous.
>>
>>87976419
I can't believe it's the same guy who wrote Godbomb
>>
>>87979190
I thought major complaint was "why did Cottonmouth have to die when he was the show's biggest saving grace".
Fuck, I'm still mad.
>>
>>87979626
We don't have any kids and we never will. Don't believe your own side's propaganda.
>>
>>87976420
>What are NuHumans?
>What is The Initiative?

You /pol/acks dont read comics.
>>
>>87979120
It wasn't, but statistically non-blacks make up 35% of Harlem's population.
>>
>>87979893
Most of the shitposters ITT dont read comics
>>
>>87976270
When it's done thinking on diversity first and on the character second.

Think of Him of PPG, he makes sense in-setting, looks interesting, and still being gay is a big part of his character. You don't see anyone throwing shit at him.
>>
>>87980674
>We don't have any kids
well, at least you believe that.
>>
>>87976270

Here's the situation coming from a minority. I don't care if most Marvel characters are European origin. It's okay because most of the country is Euro origin. It doesn't make sense for much diversity because the white majority wouldn't understand it or want it. I'd rather have good stories than diversity. That's lacking these days in huge amounts.

I agree with others that Marvel is doing short term diversity to try, TRY and bring in new readers an it doesn't work. Casuals are everywhere now, but it won't work in the long term. Casuals will eventually do other things, and leave Marvel trying to explain why they did a diversity stunt when key classic characters are of European origin and always will be.
>>
>>87980976
Hey Chink.
>>
>>87980674

>We don't have any kids and we never will

That's pretty par for the course for your types.
>>
>>87976330
I'm gonna use this.
>>
File: 1460539539106.jpg (1MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
1460539539106.jpg
1MB, 1988x3056px
>>87976419
>>
>>87976270
Of this series I selectively red only the Loki parts.
Was I wrong?
>>
>>87980674

Thank you for not reproducing.
>>
>>87978754
It's impossible to start a character off as an A-lister you fucking idiot.

Pushing somebody too fast is a legit problem. See: Cyborg, Carol Danvers, Roman Reigns.
>>
>>87976270
about 8 years ago
>>
>>87979120
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>tv
It never fucking fails.
It is not the same audience, fuckwhistle.
>>
>>87976270
When they put whores and fags and "urbanites" in comics.
>>
>>87979120
Proof? Cause it sounds like you're pulling shit out of your ass.
>>
I never quite understood what did they have to make a female Thor?
There are certain many badass goddesses of war out there, to fill in the spot.
Athena, Astarte, Inanna, Morrigan, any one of them would have been an excellent choice.
But no, they had to go all like "Take that, manbabies! Women can be Thor too!".... fuck that, don't blame us now that her comic sales are quite lacking just after a dozen issues.
>>
>>87980220

Yes how dare anyone have standards. Just eat the shit you're served, babies!
>>
>>87976270
Literally every single comic published by Time Warner and Disney is pandering. It's nothing more than a product.
>>
>>87976270

When they crave black cocks.

There was an issue where even a succubus demon that wanted to kill Whor only dated black dudes.

It's getting ridiculous.
>>
File: ms_male_character.png (62KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
ms_male_character.png
62KB, 720x480px
>>87976270
When you have to remove characters to make room.
>>
People really need to get the fuck over this shit already. Characters have been added for diversity's sake since the 70's and will probably continue into the 2070's.

The thing is, plenty of those characters have been great. Black Panther and Black Lightning had fantastic debuts despite being literally corporate mandates. Falcon and Power Man are all time classics.

And the line isn't even drawn at diversity characters. There is likely no genre in all of fiction more rife with gimmick characters and forced legacies than cape comics. Fucking Dick Grayson and Wally West were both gimmicks meant to draw in young readers, and the Teen Titans themselves were pandering to preteens obsessed with the Beatles and Rolling Stones. Ever wonder if some faglords threw fits about Hal Jordan and Barry Allen replacing those classic Golden Age characters? Guess what, even in the 1950's, those whiners existed.

The point is this is just the nature of things and you have to ignore the pandering and sales gimmick nature of the beast and focus entirely on the characters. I've never read anything with Whor, but if critics are to be believed her series is poorly written and obnoxious, but this has nothing to do with WHY she was created and everything to do with how she is actually written.

There is no such thing as a bad character, only bad execution. Even fucking Scrappy Doo could have been great, the problem was he was annoying and retarded.
>>
>>87984576
No it's not. Most are content with the second option.

I have honestly never seen people complaining that a female character is just a female male version. All I have ever seen is people complaining about people complaining about that.
>>
File: 0.png (794KB, 900x760px) Image search: [Google]
0.png
794KB, 900x760px
>>87976270
It doesn't matter, there is nothing wrong with pandering.
>>
>>87984947
But Anon dont you see? Marvel is trying to brainwash us with liberal progressive PROPAGANDA! Diversity is code for anti-white. Clearly Marvel is trying to bring upon the end of the white men through shitty capeshit comics!
>>
File: 1476405948629.gif (877KB, 375x304px) Image search: [Google]
1476405948629.gif
877KB, 375x304px
>>87976419
But honestly, the shit?
I was okay with girl-Thor. It makes logical sense, considering we already had alien-Thor (Beta Ray Bill)

But there 'are' other female heroes. Spider-Woman, Ms. Marvel, Scarlet Witch, Storm, Rogue, Teenage Negasonic Warhead, Black Widow, etc etc etc.

But scenes like this.

THIS shit.

This shit is pandering. Does anyone think the writers were forced to make this? The corporate bigwigs go up to them with a lighter under their contracts saying "Put this scene in JUST LIKE this or you're fucked"?
Or are the writers complete tumblr SJW self-indulgent asshats?
>>
>>87979422
They even added a Canadian, how progressive.
>>
>>87985000
I've seen people complaining about the second one but they tend to be hypocrites and professional offense takers like Sarkeesian.
The real concern is that they have an audience.
>>
>>87979614
this has to be bait
>>
>>87985087
A bit of both I would guess.
>>
>>87976330
I'm gonna steal this bro.
>>
>>87976270
Real answer
>At what point does adding diversity become pandering
When diversification directly corrilates to a desire to increase monitary gain.
>>
>>87985000
I've seen plenty of people bitch about Superman overshadowing Supergirl.
>>
>>87976270
When they worry more about diversity than the actual story.
>>
>>87979514
Was Blue Beetle ever really a book seller though?
>>
>>87985087

>Teenage Negasonic Warhead

Not really the best example you could have used.
>>
File: The Truth.jpg (93KB, 600x1052px) Image search: [Google]
The Truth.jpg
93KB, 600x1052px
>>87980713
>What are NuHumans
Trash but they would be better if the gassed Israel and killed a lot of jewish mutants for the cause. Also just like mutants you're not guaranteed good mutations and most of the NuHumans are just god-awful teenage dramaqueens or special snowflakes (looking at Swain & Iso).
>What is The Initiative
It's just Avengers per State. Maybe a focus book for Great Lakes Avengers and possible tie-ins for wacky "Kate Leth" style wankery. While that sounds good to you, its highly likely Great Lake bullshit and CURRENT YEAR Bertha is going to make everything come tumbling down.
>>
>>87976270
I would have loved a Lady Sif or Valkyrie comic.

But instead we get a female character living up to a man's mantle rather than her own.
>>
File: 1460934922744.gif (3MB, 222x379px) Image search: [Google]
1460934922744.gif
3MB, 222x379px
>>87985613
B-but...
>>
>>87979844
>Making Jane Foster, a character with literally no fans whatsoever the new Thor was a terrible idea.
Blame the MCU for making Jane a thing.
>>
>>87976270

When instead of creating new characters they just lazily swap the gender or race of an established character

#bringbackMilestone
>>
>>87990929
But Milestone was mostly just that
They had black Superman, black Iron Man, black electric Spiderman, street gang Teen Titans
>>
File: you_cant_win.jpg (53KB, 960x425px) Image search: [Google]
you_cant_win.jpg
53KB, 960x425px
>>87985000
>I have honestly never seen people complaining that a female character is just a female male version.
Now you have!
>>
>>87991025
To be fair, I wouldn't even be mad if in one of the games they had a female Link. They aren't all the same person anyway.

Linkle doesn't count
>>
>>87991025
These people don't even give a shit about what they're talking about.

They don't care, and they've never made anything they care about in their life. Just tear down, destroy. Fucking worthless.
>>
>>87980349
I can't believe it's the same guy who wrote Scalped
>>
>>87985087
Its because you get SJW trash that live in a bubble that has them convinced 'le ebil white men' conspiracy is always out to get them and the poor minorities/women, so they lash out like teenagers at what they perceive as their enemy.

What they get instead is ordinary fans who see their shit writing and don't like it, and shaming the industry into accepting this dogshit only becomes a joke as their sales suffer. Then of course you get trolls who leap at the opportunity to antagonize the SJWs who only become more entrenched in their stupid dogma.

No one cared when Star Wars had Lando as a black man, but once the creeps paraded the "diverse" cast of Force Awakens around you could see the writing had visibly suffered, and the progressive idiots thought their skin colors were somehow a substitute for decent writing.
>>
>>87985128
They have an audience because people like you point at it and loudly laugh at it, which only serves to embolden them and the people who agree with them. See they have a self built enemy in the patriarchy and those who seek to uphold it. In openly mocking them you become the face of that enemy, give them belief that they actually are fighting a fight.

I mean I'm not saying they should be above being mocked, I'm just saying be aware when you do that you're creating a monster.
>>
>>87976270
When it's forced and done solely for the sake of being diverse.
>>
>>87991317
>"Le Force Awakens was bad because of diversity" meme

You almost had me up until here. Great bait. I'm sure TFA would have been a superior movie had the entire cast been white.
>>
>>87979120
I never heard that, but I did read a tweet in which some bitch complained there were too many white people in Luke Cage.
And that woman is now a writer for Rick and Morty. Go figure.
>>
>>87991023
>black Superman
He had similar powers but was nothing like Clark
> black Iron Man
I don't know much about Hardware so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt
>black electric Spiderman
Other than being a teen and making quips he was nothing like Peter
> street gang Teen Titans
Blood Syndicate? Now you're just making shit up

Even then, there's only so many powers you can choose from. Of course they're gonna be similar to other superheroes but at least they made an effort to create a new universe around them and new villains and this is much better than just lazy SJW approved swaps
>>
>>87976419
>Not resisting at all
>I'm going to smash you in the face with a hammer
Is this supposed to be funny? Because it's framed like it's supposed to come off as quirky.
>>
>>87991455
Not that anon, the races of the cast didn't matter, the fact that the usual buzzwords were being thrown about was a sign of incoming QUALITY writing. It's like a signal that the writers have nothing that stands on its own merits, so it needs a good petting from the Guardian before it comes out.
Thread posts: 152
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.