[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw decided to work my way up to being an animation writer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1471025025391.jpg (18KB, 279x294px) Image search: [Google]
1471025025391.jpg
18KB, 279x294px
>tfw decided to work my way up to being an animation writer

What shows would you say are a must-watch in this regard, /co/?
>>
>>87942759
Gravity falls so you know how to NOT finish a story
>>
>>87942759
>animation writer

John K, the foremost expert in the field of animation, thinks this is a job that shouldn't even exist.

How does it make you feel to know the King of Animation thinks you shouldn't exist?
>>
>>87942759
The ones you like.
>>
>>87942877
Who cares?
>>
>>87942759
Watch everything considered to be a classic in every genre of visual media.
>>
>>87942955
The animation industry cares.
>>
>>87944896
Obviously not as much as you think because there's plenty of animation writers and story editors and every single show has a bible (written by a writer)
>>
All forms of television and movies, OP. Especially the stuff you wouldn't normally watch. You need to learn about structure and variation.
>>
>>87942759
early Simpsons
Spongebob
Gravity Falls
Disney/Pixar
>>
watch things that arent cartoons.

i notice so many people trying to ape tropes and ideas from cartoons that already exist and thats how you end up with 40 adventure time-esque pilots.

read books, watch live action television, watch or read any other kind of media, but try not to restrict yourself to solely cartoons.

>>87942877
>John K
>foremost expert in the field of animation

nobody should take this narcissistic clown seriously especially when he hasnt done any decent work, let alone in television, in over a decade.
>>
>>87942759
>>87942877
>>87945041
Aren't most animated shows board-driven these days? This means they have less need for writers who can't or don't draw.
>>
>>87942869
This. Fucking. This.
>>
>>87945103
>>87945599
THIS.
>>
>>87942759
>western (and shit, eastern) animation
>writing
>>
Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law
>>
read books, actual novels. doesn't matter which.

chuck jones himself specified in interviews that reading heavily influences animators, same goes for writing.
>>
don't focus on writing "art"
try to learn how to write a series that could genuinely be enjoyed by people of all ages and respects the intelligence of it's audience
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.