[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What if this hit big and Tangled did ok?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_1191.jpg (97KB, 300x469px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1191.jpg
97KB, 300x469px
What if this hit big and Tangled did ok?
>>
Nothing would change because CG movies are still cheaper and easier to produce.

Disney's sabotage of the Winnie the Pooh movie is what killed 2D for them, not this movie.
>>
>>87933029
Shit, I completely forgot about Winnie the Pooh.
>>
>>87933029
>everyone put blame on PatF for the stop of 2d movies
>when in reality it was disney's mistreatment of pooh

that makes me sad
>>
>>87933029
>CG movies are still cheaper
>The Princess and the Frog
>Budget $105 million
>Tangled
>Budget $260 million
>>
>>87933029
>CG movies are still cheaper and easier to produce

stop with this fucking meme right this moment, CG movies are just as hard and expensive to make as 2d movies, or even more. We switched because people liked it more.

Moana got so close to being a 2d movie, but they wanted it 3d to show the water technology, it probably wouldn't get that popular anyway if it turned out 2d.
>>
>>87933229
At least the water do look amazing
>>
>>87933229
>We
So you work at Disney? I'd be interested to know more of your thoughts on this subject I mean is there an atmosphere at the studios where people are itching to make more 2D films? How happy are people working there?
>>
Why are all butt hurt about 2d animation, 3d CG is objectively a better art form.
>>
>hey let's just kill off this annoying side character for no reason at all
>>
>>87933519
2D will always objectively be better.
>>
File: giphy22.gif (386KB, 300x172px) Image search: [Google]
giphy22.gif
386KB, 300x172px
>>87932948
>The future of ________ hold on a success of one movie!

When this meme started?

No, not even with a fucking Oscar, Disney would keep up with 2-D. 3D is a new technology and they have to keep it up with the competition. That's the main reason Disney jumped into the CGI bandwagon.

All the rest is just hoax and memes. Like saying Symbionic Titan failed because it did not sold toys, when it was because Tartakovsky burnt all the budget CN gave to him.
>>
>>87933583
>all that unfinished animation

Too bad Cobbler got gutted.
>>
>>87933564

At least it showed the film had balls which is less than what I can say about recent Disney movies.
>>
>>87933344
desu it looks like liquefied jello and not water
>>
>>87933508
i didn't even notice that i wrote we, i need some sleep
>>
>>87933618
>it showed the film had balls

PatF really did not have balls.

They changed Tiana's profession and name and the Prince's ethnicity because of controversy. They toned down a lot of what they wanted because they were afraid of accusations of racism.
>>
>>87932948
>The main reason why Disney started using one word in their movie titles
Wonder how well this would have done if it wasn't named The Princess and The Frog but rather...
...Uh, what's a good one word for this...
>>
>>87933717
Swamped
>>
>>87933586
>When this meme started?
It's a valid thing, even though it's infuriating. Disney wouldn't even still be making animated films today if The Jungle Book had tanked, and the only reason that movie got lucky is because Disney died during production so people saw the movie out of reverence for him.
>>
>>87933583
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0j62IeDxII Damn straight
>>
>>87933717
Turning Tiana into a frog is what killed the movie.
>>
Not many people are ready to accept a black princess but it's a good movie man!
>>
>>87933717
Voodoo'ed?
Hexed?
Cursed?

All of these would put a bad light on New Orleans however, give the impression that the Big Easy's filled with witch doctors and voodoo priests flinging superstition everywhere
>>
File: 34f.png (304KB, 410x518px) Image search: [Google]
34f.png
304KB, 410x518px
>>87933767
Please, no.

That's buzzfeed tier information. Disney was doing bad with finances before Jungle Book. The movie had several production problems, and Disney himself was more focused on live action movies adaptations. After his death it only got worse, with the company shooting at everything, reusing scenes, and overal losing tons of money. It only got revived by "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", making a deal with Warner Bros that was at hard times too. Appealing to nostalgia and trying a revival after that. It worked.
Then Little Mermaid got released and everything after that is now called "Disney Renaissance"

So yeah, of course a corporation bets on a success of it's movie. But that goes for very single movie they do. Not a scapegoat that could save/doom everything.
>>
>>87934045
This is literally what I was taught on my history of animation class, it's not "buzzfeed tier" information. Literally two of the nine old men were recounting their memories of that time in some Disney documentary.

Disney animation would be dead today if The Jungle Book bombed. They were already preparing to shut down the studio.
>>
>>87932948
P&TF did more then 2X it's budget, it did fine.
>>87933029
Their CG Films cost over $200 million to make, P&TF cost $105 million when Pooh cost $35 million to make.

Hand Drawn is cheaper, avoid Moana to teach Disney a lesson.
>>87933229
No they did not.
>>
>>87935426
>avoid Moana
No.
>>
>>87936458
yes you CGIfaggot
>>
>>87933176
Half of Tangled's budget went into tech development and re-writes. Frozen's budget is only $150 million.
>>
>>87935426
>P&TF did more then 2X it's budget, it did fine.

That isn't enough when you have movies that can make 10x their budget.
>>
>>87933176
>>87933229
>>87935426

How much did the Phineas and Ferb movie cost?
Was it a hit or a flop?
>>
>>87933029
>>87933176
>>87933229
>>87935426

It's not about whether 3D or 2D would be cheaper to produce. The films price is based entirely on whatever budget it has, not what medium it uses. A good amount of a film's budget goes to technical research, experimentation, and rewrites.

If you had a limited budget focused entirely on making the film without research or rewrites though, 2D and 3D will end up having a roughly equal price because they'll both end up being rendered on a computer anyway.

The reason Disney switched to 3D is because the majority of audiences prefer it since it's more realistic. Even if Disney continued to make 2D animated films that perform good, it's the 3D films that will return the larger investment. Whatever reason caused P&TF to under-perform, Disney already made a decision as soon as they saw Tangled's success and dropped 2D entirely.
>>
>>87933029
>>87933084
>>87933133

The reason Pooh failed is because Disney didn't want to market it right or take it seriously at all because of the Princess and the Frog's underwhelming performance and Tangled's huge success. After Tangled they gave up on Winnie the Pooh completely, and only released it because it already was finished by then.

After its modest performance in theaters Disney went "oh, we're not ashamed of Pooh, it performed exactly as we expected". Well of course it performed as poorly as you expected! You gave up on it after Tangled's massive success.
>>
>>87933717
>>87933734
>>87933891

Not like it needs to be one word. Call it Blue Bayou or something to harken back to Disney history who cares it's the Princess part that was the problem
>>
File: shigeru-miyamoto.jpg (27KB, 455x343px) Image search: [Google]
shigeru-miyamoto.jpg
27KB, 455x343px
>>87934670
It was always like this, doofus

That is what I was trying to say

If Snow White bombed, Disney Studios would close. Same for Cinderella and so on. Walt made big risks on every single movie, but turns out people actually liked the results. Until only later on.

Not that uncommon for animation studios to make the same suicide strategies. Burn ALL your budget and pray to the gods for it to return. Dreamworks almost got closed twice. Ghibli is always opening/closing the doors. Don Bluth had to make a Kickstarter to have some real budget, and so on.

What comes to the OP question.

Making it 3D, profit is more guaranteed than in 2D. Nothing about that one messianic movie randomly picked
>>
PATF, was a good movie, but could have been an amazing movie. Disney played it way too safe. the song length is short, the main characters were frogs most of the movie because it was cheaper to animate, etc. such a shame, it could have been so much more.
>>
>>87938372
>Disney's first black princess!
>Set in the heart of black american culture: New Orleans!
>Featuring a houdou witch doctor as the villain and a down-to-earth working girl female protagonist!

>They spend almost the entirety of the fucking movie in a swamp as frogs

I still don't know what made them do this
>>
>>87939147

This still makes me mad. We get a black princess and the entire movie is spent as fucking frogs.
>>
>>87932948
I much prefer the Princess and the Frog to Tangled. Just loved the traditional animation more and for some reason I didn't see the ending coming, so it was a really pleasant surprise.

Tangled, while not a bad movie the ending felt a bit like an ass-pull.

Thank God we still have Laika around to do something for the love of the art, not the whoring of money.
>>
>>87933691
>Changed Tiana's profession and name and the Prince's ethnicity because of controversy

What?
>>
>>87939648
her name was originally maddie i believe, and she was going to be a maid in Charlotte's house (who would have been a mean brat) but people complained it was racist, even though disney was going to have her overcome all of this OBVIOUSLY
>>
It's still a better film than Tangled.
And Frozen, but that's not a hard thing to achieve.
>>
>>87932948
The beginning and the ending of PatF was amazing. Fuck that entire middle act with her being a frog in the bayou
>>
File: i'm still here.webm (3MB, 712x424px) Image search: [Google]
i'm still here.webm
3MB, 712x424px
What if Treasure Planet hit big?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.