[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What're you reading?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 14

File: 1459139662701.jpg (63KB, 450x562px) Image search: [Google]
1459139662701.jpg
63KB, 450x562px
So there's this cool comic book store down the street from me. They've got all kinds of stuff for real cheap. I bought a couple for my little brother, but now I'm interested in reading these myself. Where do I start? What are some of your favorite comic book issues? Plz help.
>>
>>87871699
Try Alan Moore's Swamp Thing.
Its not the typical superhero shit but its still really good.
Pretty much anything by Alan Moore is a safe bet.
Avoid anything with Mark Millar or Grant Morrison's name on it.
>>
File: Flash Classics.jpg (4MB, 6032x4032px) Image search: [Google]
Flash Classics.jpg
4MB, 6032x4032px
So far, I snagged these two and a couple of others.
>>
File: 1446407365373.jpg (781KB, 1946x1660px) Image search: [Google]
1446407365373.jpg
781KB, 1946x1660px
>>87871699
It would help if you told us a little about your tastes in entertainment for other mediums, like film, television, books, vidya and so forth.
>>
>>87871766
Learning sucks, anon.
>>
The Flintstones is really good and could use all the sales it can get.
>>
File: like_a_velvet_glove_front.jpg (515KB, 550x778px) Image search: [Google]
like_a_velvet_glove_front.jpg
515KB, 550x778px
pic related ins the answer to all your questions

please tell us, are you a newfag?
>>
>>87871879
What are you looking for?
Comedy? Superheroes? Noir? Science Fiction? Comic books are an entire medium. Like I said, I'd recommend anything by Alan Moore, specifically Swamp Thing, MiracleMan, V for Vendetta, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, For The Man Who Has Everything, From Hell. I'd also recommend checking out Judge Dredd, starting from the beginning with Case Files Vol. 1 and going up. Kingdom Come is a good DC Superhero one shot. You could always try reading old issues of Heavy Metal.
>>
File: 13_astounding_1936_02_brown.jpg (239KB, 1024x1432px) Image search: [Google]
13_astounding_1936_02_brown.jpg
239KB, 1024x1432px
>>87871766

Hmm... let's see. I don't read much science fiction, but I recently started reading H.P. Lovecraft. I just got through At the Mountains of Madness and absolutely loved it. I want to start reading The Silmarillion by Tolkien soon.

I mostly read either history or politics, but I like fiction that is historically contextual. Regardless, my favorite author is by far Franz Kafka. I like his existential, absurdist takes on modernity.

I'm not interested in classic "good guys win, bad guys lose" superhero stories -- I like it when stories involve personal turmoil of some kind, a moral dilemma, or something that gets me thinking along those lines. War stories, social chaos, dystopia, opposition against the state, or survival are all good themes.

Not related to the themes I mentioned, but I grew up on Lucky Luke comics if that helps. I'm a big fan.
>>
>>87871941
yeah I don't browse /co/. First time posting here.
>>
>>87871924
>and could use all the sales it can get
The creators of The Flintstones have already been paid. No matter how high sales climb or how low sales dip, their paychecks are still the same.

If you want your purchases to be for a good cause, stick to creator-owned comics. Every dollar counts, and your money could make the difference between creators starving and creators surviving.
>>
I've been going through Crossed. When it's bad, it's bad. But when it's good, like with Ennis and Si Spurrier, it's fucking amazing. Wish You Were Here is one of my favorite comics and zombie stories of all time.
>>
File: FILE083.jpg (46KB, 481x480px) Image search: [Google]
FILE083.jpg
46KB, 481x480px
>>87872015
what board do you come from?
What shit do you like?
>>
>>87871990
Read Alan Moore's stuff, definitely.
>>
File: image.jpg (447KB, 1000x1498px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
447KB, 1000x1498px
>>87871949
Not the OP
I was just fucking around, anon. The image you posted has the words "learn more about x" above all of the suggestions.
You and I have very different tastes in cape comics as well. Pic related.
>>
>>87872036
I browse /his/ /lit/ /mu/ /vg/ /fa/ and sometimes /int/ in varying amounts, even /k/ once in a while.
>>
>>87872155
>I browse /mu/
Christ, I'm sorry to hear that.
>>
>>87872185
Truly. Don't browse it enough to mention it, just did because sometimes I use their chat on soulseek and occasionally have to sift through the shit to find anything good, mostly having to do with metal and drone music.
>>
File: 1551397_original.jpg (155KB, 650x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1551397_original.jpg
155KB, 650x1000px
>>87872155
okay I also saw >>87871990 after I wrote that other post
Like a velvet glove is very kafkeque, very paranoid and concerning, a total must

Also pic related, Dial H, an analysis not just of caped heroes but heroism in general.

Boxers/Saints is a two fold account of the boxer rebellion in china, one side from the point of view of a boxer and another from the point of view of a christian girl running away from persecution, truly sublime
>>
>>87871990
So fantasy, history, war, personal struggles, and a little scifi (but not much, just a little). Some personal favorites off the top of my head:

Age of Bronze is about the Trojan War, but with magic and other supernatural elements removed to show how it might have happened.

Amethyst of Gemworld is like Game of Thrones meets Sailor Moon.

Beauty, about an ugly woman who changes the course of medieval history when a fairy grants her beauty.

Boxers and Saints is about a conflict concerning Christianity in China, told from two sides.

The Cartoon History of the Universe, a non-fiction comic about the history and politics of our world.

Cerebus the Aardvark starts off as an unfunny parody of Conan the Barbarian, but shit kicks into high gear after the author overdosed on LSD and decided to remove the barbarianism, and instead have the main character run for the elected office of Prime Minister.

A Contract with God, about, among other things, a man who makes a contract with nobody, claims that he's made a contract with God, and then gets upset when the contract doesn't hold up.

The Encyclopedia of Early Earth, a personal story concerning the mythology of a fantasy land.

Moonshadow, which is a scifi comic that's told as if it's a fantasy comic, a "fairy tale for grown-ups" about a young orphaned lad struggling to find his place in the universe.

Prophet, which starts off a post-apocalyptic survival story, then shifts to a story about a war in space, but never loses sight of the human elements of individual people.
>>
>>87872347
>Recommending Prophet
Kill yourself
>>
>>87872073
Learning is awesome, and the sooner you learn this, the happier you'll be.
>>
File: 2cb.jpg (67KB, 553x567px) Image search: [Google]
2cb.jpg
67KB, 553x567px
>>87872300
Wow that sounds fucking amazing... you really got me, this is exactly what I wanted!
>>
File: 1460342617396.jpg (3MB, 1200x8888px) Image search: [Google]
1460342617396.jpg
3MB, 1200x8888px
>>87872393
Are you thinking of some other comic?

Are you thinking of the nineties version instead of the current version?
>>
>>87872417
No, I'm thinking of the current version which is fucking dog shit nonsense.
I didn't even know there were two of them.
>>
>>87871990
if you are into historical stuff I have alot of recommendations though they maybe harder to find at your LCS

Logicomix - about the life and times of Betrand Russell

The Klondike - about the Alaskan gold rush of the late 1890s

A Contract with God Trilogy - mainly deals with a block in NYC throughout the 1900s. Written by and guy who lived there most of his life.

From Hell - The Jack the Ripper murders. Since Alan Moore has been mentioned several times in this thread I'd highly recommend this one.

Alice in Sunderland - the geographical history of Alice in Wonderland.
>>
>>87872451
Well, I'm sorry that you didn't like it, but I think that "Kill yourself" is a stronger reaction than this situation merits. Do you react like that every time somebody likes a comic which you don't?
>>
I never realized how completley entry level Moore's work is.
>>
>>87872953
Hello /mu/.
>>
>>87872979
For the record, that's not me (OP)
>>
here we see something interesting, not often witnessed in these wilds.

pay attention to >>87872393
you'll see we've encountered the willy Shitposter. This is a subspecies of troll that often uses base contradictory responses toward another poster in order to illicit a reaction, as seen here
>>87872417

but instead of engaging in a nonsensical argument, the response asks if he made a mistake in his source and posts an image which is a brilliant example of SHOWING what he likes in the material he'd mentioned previously.

>>87872451 here the shitposter only confirms that he "hates thing" and neglects to give any reason of explanation as to why.

>>87872535 and again, instead of engaging in reactionary shitposting as was the original Shitposters intent, we see courtly conduct and an invitation to reconsider the 'shitposting' behavior.

Truly a remarkable exchange.
>>
File: IMG_20161119_010603100_HDR.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161119_010603100_HDR.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
Wilson
>>
>>87873182
Hello /his/, /sci/ and /an/.
>>
Does anyone know if that Saga comic is any good or worth a read?
>>
>>87873483
>any good
No.
>worth a read
Yes.

Anything is worth a read.
>>
>>87872017
Are you retarded? It isn't about the creator, it's about the damn comic not getting canned.
>>
>>87873483
It's already peaked and going downhill, but there's a couple of characters (like the Robot) who are just too good for their own good and the reason most of us keep reading.
>>
>>87873638
>It isn't about the creator
Why do you not care about creators?

>it's about the damn comic not getting canned
Buying The Flintstones doesn't matter, because the publisher decides whether or not to cancel that comic based on how many THOUSANDS of readers it has. But with creator-owned comics, the line between profitable and unprofitable can come down to only ONE reader making that difference.

If you buy the Flintstones then your purchase doesn't matter. If you buy a creator-owned comic then your purchase matters. I'm telling you how to matter.
>>
>>87873836
>because the publisher decides whether or not to cancel that comic based on how many THOUSANDS of readers it has.

And how do you think a comic gets thousands of readers? By people not buying it?
>>
>>87873888
Don't worry, there are people who will buy Flintstones no matter what, because they are trapped by nostalgia.

It's new titles with new ideas that need the help, titles with no connections to nostalgia or established franchises.

You do want to make a difference, don't you?
>>
>>87871990
Locke and Key. One of my all time favorite stories in any medium. It's fantasy horror by Stephen King's son Joe Hill (King), with no superheroes in sight. That's all you need to know.
>>
>>87873996
Man, I can't tell if you're trolling or legit retarded.

Anyway, Flinstones is good and manages to not be obnoxious with its social commentary.
>>
File: tumblr_of9qykEOup1qm2uhao1_540.gif (2MB, 540x290px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_of9qykEOup1qm2uhao1_540.gif
2MB, 540x290px
I'm reading Aquaman Rebirth and Grell GA.
Always looking for recommendations so swing away and I'll say if I've read it.
>>
>>87873554
>Anything is worth a read.

absolutely not
>>
>>87874055
Your initial post indicated that OP should buy The Flintstones because The Flintstones needs more readers. I think that's a stupid reason, and I'm educating you on how the world really works.

>If Flintstones gets one more reader:
Nothing changes.
>If Flintstones loses one more reader:
Nothing changes.
>If a creator-owned comic gets one more reader:
The creators make more money.
>If a creator-owned comic loses one more reader:
The creators make less money.

Creators need your money. Creators will die without your money. Buy creator-owned comics in order to make a difference in the world.
>>
>>87874201

Well, educate me on what happens when thousands of people think that "one reader" doesn't make the difference, then.
>>
>>87874145
explain yourself anon
>>
>>87874516
One reader DOES make a difference. For creator-owned comics.

If thousands of people understand this, even better.
>>
>>87874552
Why waste your time reading useless shit?
>>
>>87875351
how can you determine something is useless before reading and understanding it?
>>
>>87871990
If you like Lovecraft, I believe there are two Lovecraft anthologies that are pretty good at adapting his work.
>>
>>87875486
No but you pick and choose every time you decide what to read and judge if they are worth you time. I'm not going to read Dani Steele books, unless I'm like really bored and stuck somewhere
>>
Currently I'm going through The Maxx and Sandman before those the last things I read was Shade the Changing Man and Truth: Red, White & Black.
>>
File: 5544_1a9e_500.jpg (88KB, 500x614px) Image search: [Google]
5544_1a9e_500.jpg
88KB, 500x614px
Foolkiller any good?

Also what are your favorite DC or Marvel series?
>>
>>87874588
I don't care about them. If that guy asks a thousand people, or a thousand guys say to a thousand other guys "Read Flintstones" then perhaps 10 or 20% will listen, a hundred people more will buy Flintstones. If more people do it, or talk to more people, more sales of the Flintstones will continue.

I do not care about your creator owned comics because I have either not read them because people whose opinion I trust has recommended them, I didn't like them, the ones I'm reading already have enough of an audience, or I didn't like them enough to recommend.

to that other guy: buy the flintstones. fuck creator owned comics.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.