[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey Arnold!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: hey-arnold-3.jpg (192KB, 670x867px) Image search: [Google]
hey-arnold-3.jpg
192KB, 670x867px
>didn't like it when I was a little kid because I thought it was boring
>started to enjoy it right around the time the show was ending, though I mostly only thought Grandma was funny
>occasionally saw re-runs on Nicktoons in the mid-to-late-00s but have only ever seen a fraction of the episodes
>recently picked up an old "The Helga Stories" VHS at Goodwill and thoroughly enjoyed it
>find out the whole show is on Hulu and that the Jungle Movie is being made
Let's talk about the show, because I'm pretty sure it will be one of my favorites by the time I'm done with it. Now that I understand it better Helga is such a complex, tragic character, and also kind of cute. I thought she was annoying as a kid.
The writing seems great and it's a pretty long-running show, is it good the whole way through?
Will the Jungle Movie and Samurai Jack S5 redeem 2017?
>>
>>87840601
For every interesting Helga episode there's two or three generic cartoon hijinks episodes.

One of the best Helga episodes is an intercut bit between her and Arnold both dreaming about them being married because for once Helga is all whimsy and light while Arnold gets into serious shit.
>>
>>87840601
I've never watched this show but this character always looked like a boy to me
>>
>>87840727
She's supposed to be physically unappealing.
>>
>>87840601
2017 did nothing wrong
>>
>>87840651
>there's two or three generic cartoon hijinks episodes.
And usually they are rarely bad
>>
File: IMG_4094.jpg (111KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4094.jpg
111KB, 512x384px
>>87840651
I'm having a hard time choosing between watching the series in order or spoiling myself by binging acclaimed episodes but I'll probably watch that one soon, thx
>>
File: 1444937912721.png (63KB, 800x304px) Image search: [Google]
1444937912721.png
63KB, 800x304px
>>87840853
The series itself was generally as a whole mediocre and boring with the exception of a few scattered MUH FEELSIES moments.

Alot like another contemporary series I can name.
>>
Move it, football head!
>>
>>87840601
I just recently marathoned the series because I never really watched it as a kid and wanted to watch the upcoming Jungle movie.
I was shocked at just how good it was.
>>
>>87841611
The air order is different than any chronological order I've found.
Seriously, Nickelodeon is a bitch with airing things out of order. They did it with MLAATR, Danny Phantom, and Hey Arnold.
It's weird to watch one episode that introduces Mr. Simmons and then still see the lady teacher for the next 24 episodes.
>>
>>87841667
The spooky episodes were fun. Like the train, the aliens, and the vampire Stinky.
>>
>>87843809
>ost all sympathy for the cunt when she got that poor nanny of hers fired. Unable to find work? She had to return to her home country. Being a kid doesn't excuse jack shit about that stunt.
The final point of that episode is that Helga is bitter and resists even change even though she hates her life. That was the whole point.

I didn't think it worked that well. The waaaacky new nanny/maid is a sitcom canned plot and this was trying to masquerade as such but go off the rails at the end when Helga's deception is straight-out nasty and works perfectly and her victim doesn't accept any lame regrets from her and correctly identifies what's wrong with her.

The problem is that some of the things the nanny did were legit annoying, like putting Helga in the Alpine dress.
>>
>>87843809
>>87843911
It's interesting that I expected Helga to apologize to the nanny and they both realize they were wrong or something and she returns only to never be mentioned again for status quo but her just leaving made the episode feel sad.
>>
>>87843711
They did that with Miraculous Ladybug too.
WILL THEY NEVER LEARN??
>>
>>87845972
Gravity Falls began and ended within the time it took them to air Spongebob's ninth season
Nick never learns
>>
>>87844008
Helga's life IS sad. Nobody gives her the love she needs. Both parents forget to make her a lunch to take to school. She's habitually aggressive to the boy she likes and it isn't just a "kids amirite" gag, it's because she's afraid that a person like her can't be loved.

She's only nine years old.
>>
A reminder that got away with making Helga's mother a legit alcoholic; the shtick about smoothies wasn't a G-rated substitute for alcohol, it just meant she was mixing something like vodka with sweet stuff so she could drink it easily; i.e. she wanted to get sedated as fast as possible.
>>
File: IMG_4123.jpg (58KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4123.jpg
58KB, 640x480px
>>87847387
>>
>>87843911

I think it ultimately balanced out because I think the Nanny wanted an excuse to return to her country anyway and I think it's implied that they kept in contact with her sending letters and shit.

Probably the nanny would consider things even so long as Helga actually took the lesson to heart.
>>
>>87840601
Its nice how they had a few episodes with the same basic plot but done differently. Like the Sid episodes all revolve around him being paranoid over something but they're still fun to watch.
>>
>>87847387
Well, her mother is a depressed alcoholic and her father is an emotionally abusive asshole. She lashes out at Arnold because of how the kids originally treated her for liking him...She's a really complex and depressing character for sure.
>>
>>87840601
My favorite episode was the one where Helga busted through Arnold's kitchen ceiling after sleeping in his wall.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.