[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

xkcd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 15

File: xkcdb.png (84KB, 740x787px) Image search: [Google]
xkcdb.png
84KB, 740x787px
>>
I bet he didn't even drag his autistic ass out of the house and actually voted like an adult.
>>
>>87772994
He probably did vote. Voting is fashionable now.
>>
>>87772961
This comic is concentrated smugness in as few lines as possible
>>
>>87773192
How? It's just a very straight endorsement of Hillary. How is that smug?
>>
>>87772994
Randall doesn't strike me as a lazy or apathetic guy. I'd be very surprised if he didn't vote.
>>
File: trump salt.jpg (12KB, 200x254px) Image search: [Google]
trump salt.jpg
12KB, 200x254px
The democrat salt train has no brakes. What a bunch of fucking crybabies.
>>
File: 001.jpg (133KB, 500x613px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
133KB, 500x613px
>and now the aftermath
>>
Thing agrees with me: Thing is Good
Thing disagrees with me: Thing is Bad
>>
>>87773304
Welcome to humans.
>>
>>87772961
>don't care
>not interested in arguing about it
>i'm here to preach not to engage
Thank you for Trump 2020.
>>
>>87773257
Republicans whined for the entirety of Obama's term, so you can get off your high horse.

There's also the fact that Trump is a completely unqualified buffoon, and he's prepping to appoint authoritarians and bigots to his cabinet. If I were someone who was completely moderate, middle-of-the-road, I'd be much more afraid of Trump than Obama, because say what you will about Obama, but he's competent in a way that Trump has never demonstrated an ability to be.
>>
>>87773304
It's not that Trump is bad. It's that everyone AROUND him is toxic sludge given human forms. Like some kind of skinwalkers. You can't look at Bannon and tell me he didn't congeal somewhere as opposed to being born.
>>
>>87773327
>Republicans whined for the entirety of Obama's term
Ah yeah, I remember the 2008 redneck riots which burned half of Texas.
>>
>>87773143

Not among millennials. Those triggered 20-somethings protesting Trump and crying about how "terrified" they are of their "civil liberties" being "threatened?" Most of them didn't even vote.
>>
>>87773327
>unqualified
He is not a natural born citizen and over thirty five years old?
>>
>>87773327
>Trump is a completely unqualified buffoon
I think you mean Obama. When elected, he didn't have a single notable legislation to his name. His biggest qualification was "community activist" through ACORN, which has been shown to be one step away from a criminal organization. Every single position he held, he only held long enough to get elected or appointed to the next highest position. He was advancing for its own sake. Trump at least has business experience, which is clearly what is needed with a multi-trillion dollar deficit.
>>
>>87772961
What a terrible campaign slogan. There's nothing inspiring about it it's just narcissism for Hilary. No wonder she lost.
>>
>people protesting that Trump won
>democracy is good right up until it votes for something I don't like
>>
>>87773349
Again, it's because Trump is worse than Obama in a way that is nearly objective. Consider the people holding the protests - black people, gay people, women. These are people who will suffer under Trump's administration, people who will be specifically targeted because of their status as black or gay or female. Jeff Sessions? Tried to make gay sex itself illegal. Mike Pence? Made it a jailable crime to even apply for marriage if you and your partner were same-sex. Steve Bannon? Literal white supremacist.

Obama's administration didn't make an effort to suppress the people who are now Trump's supporters.
>>
>>87773421
> Obama's administration didn't make an effort to suppress the people who are now Trump's supporters.
The IRS did exactly that under obongo.
>>
>>87773327
>because say what you will about Obama, but he's competent in a way that Trump has never demonstrated an ability to be.

Trump has exactly the same amount of executive experience Obama had when he became president:Zero.
>>
>>87773376
Uh, no. Obama's biggest qualification was being a Senator in the US Congress. Trump has never held political office of any sort.
>>
>>87773386
I was surprised to find nobody had made "I'm With Stupid" shirts in response.
>>
>>87773421

How will black people suffer under Trump?
>>
>>87773421
>Made it a jailable crime to even apply for marriage if you and your partner were same-sex.

Why shouldn't it be jailable to apply for a currently illegal contract?

Gay marriage isn't important anyway. You get all those rights with a living will. It was a useless and selfish voting position.
>>
>>87772961
Thank you Randall for your brave stand. We all know how much the sciences, the webcomic scene, and your audience leans to the right. You sacrificed so much for this unpopular stand.

By the way, 4chan. I know this may sound unpopular...
But SJWs suck.
Don't care, I'm not here to argue.Feel free to flame me for this deeply controversial opinion, I felt somebody had to say it.
>>
>>87773420
The people protesting aren't demanding that Trump step down and allow himself to be replaced by Hillary. They're just protesting in the hopes of raising public awareness for the issues that a Trump presidency will bring.
Seriously, everyone supporting the protests on my Facebook feed just want to fight the conservative agenda of Trump's administration and the GOP Congress. They don't want the election overturned.
>>
>>87773421
Silly anon, blacks and gays aren't people.
>>
>>87773421
> violence is okay because we don't like the candidate

Kek
>>
>>87773421
>Trump is going to deport all the non-whites, electrocute all the gays and rape all the women

Good luck with that
>>
>>87773376
> multi-trillion dollar deficit.

First off, the debt is trillions, the deficit is billions. Debt and deficit are not the same thing.

Second, Trump is proposing massive tax cuts and massive new spending, so the debt is going to be much worse under Trump.
>>
>>87773421
>Consider the people holding the protests - black people, gay people, women
Virtually all of the mugshots are white males. Stop this unfounded bullshit.
>>
>>87773365
Most of the areas that have protesting were overwhelmingly for Hillary and very against Trump. And if for a second you think you can get away from all the GOP voters that promised fucking civil war is Hillary won . Or that Hillary DID win the popular vote by some 2MIL votes then your a huge dumass. Just admit you don't like freedom, civil rights, or the constitution when it comes to people you disagree with.
>>
>>87772961
>make comic shilling Hillary
>don't outright state why Hillary is so great
>just post a shitty link that we are suppose to go to and read
Wow, you really convinced me Hillary is bigger than Jesus, Randall. What a great effort.

Also this >>87773325
>>
>>87773433
Obviously no president has had executive experience when they take the presidency, unless they're entering their second term. Obama had more experience than Trump does now. This is an objective fact.
>>
>>87773332
anyone who actually self-identifies as "alt-right" is probably a faggot t b h
>>
>>87773520
> Or that Hillary DID win the popular vote by some 2MIL votes

Nope. Trump won the popular vote.
>>
File: IMG_2813.jpg (46KB, 550x633px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2813.jpg
46KB, 550x633px
>>87773489
You were doing so well too 9/10
>>
>>87773332
>It's not that Trump is bad.

I don't have an image macro smug enough for this.
>>
>>87773473
>By the way, 4chan. I know this may sound unpopular...
>But SJWs suck.

Are you retarded or something? Hating sjws on 4chan isn't the unpopular opinion.
>>
File: kaiji kane.gif (206KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
kaiji kane.gif
206KB, 500x281px
>Republican President
>Republican Senate
>Republican House
>Gonna have a conservative Supreme Court for the next 20-30 years

God, I can't wait to defund Planned Parenthood.

Gonna get all them gun rights back.

Anti-Trump protests don't even effect me since I live in the country. Winning so much I feel guilty for it.
>>
>>87773489
>They're just protesting in the hopes of raising public awareness
Destroying public and private property is a sure way to make friends.
>>
>>87773143
Voter turnout was lower this cycle though
>>
>>87773564
> Gonna get all them gun rights back.
What gun rights did Obama take away, exactly?
>>
>>87773564
You're probably going to go broke, actually.
>>
>>87773564
>God, I can't wait to defund Planned Parenthood.
SO more black niglets running around is a good thing?
>>
>>87773561
Neither is a webcomic author hating on Trump. That was his point.
>>
>>87773469

>currently illegal

Gay marriage was legalized in all 50 states over a year ago.
>>
>>87773574

Where the fuck have you been? Obongo has been waging a full scale war against the 2nd Amendment.
>>
>>87773574

Not many since Obama had an uphill battle against gun rights and accomplished virtually nothing.

But now we have a chance to...

>Get constitutional carry for all states
>Remove silencers from the NFA
>Remove short-barreled rifles from the NFA
>Repeal the Hughes Amendment

It's beautiful.
>>
>>87773553
He really isn't that bad. I mean he clearly misrepresented/exaggerated his political leanings to get elected, there's no getting around that, but as soon as he did get elected he backed off on all of the dangerous shit he was saying.

People like Steve Bannon and Mike Pence have said much worse things in the past than Trump said at any point during the election.

I don't think
>Muslims shouldn't come to our country right now
is anywhere near as bad as
>We should electrocute gay people into being straight!
>>
>>87773452
Here's just a single, specific example, the first thing that came to mind, and this has been done in the past to specifically target black people.

There are two kinds of cocaine - crack and powder. Crack is cheaper, and thus black people buy it more, and white people buy powder more (just due to black people being poorer on average). In response, something that has been done and Trump's DEA director may do is to make the penalities for crack cocaine much harsher than for powder cocaine. You do the math on what happens next.

And again, that's just one specific example I thought of so I wouldn't have to give you some hand-wavey crap.
>>
>>87773528
State governors have executive experience. Which is why I found it especially hilarious when Obama's supporters were slamming Palin for her "lack of executive experience", when she had more than Obama. There were other, much better reasons to shit on her, ones that were even true.
>>
>>87773584

Really racist and offensive statement, man. All lives matter and no baby deserves to be aborted. All potential black children are potential Americans.
>>
>>87773469
>Gay marriage isn't important
I take it you're not gay.
>>
>>87773520

The thing is that the results were almost perfectly even between the two. No matter who won, roughly 50% of America would have been upset.

The question is if Republicans would be crying and protesting like this if Hillary had won.
>>
File: 1439335133445.png (13KB, 555x407px) Image search: [Google]
1439335133445.png
13KB, 555x407px
>>87773564
>God, I can't wait to defund Planned Parenthood.
Why are people against this? I'm not a even pro-lifer. We just shouldn't be wasting taxpayer money. It's not like defunding it would somehow reverse Roe V. Wade.
>>
>>87773621
He's a con man and a slimeball. If you really haven't come to that conclusion after over a year and half of having to put up with his shit (minus all the time he wasn't running for president that was equally as bad) you would've realized that, by now.
>>
>>87773653
He's a republican, anon. Of course he's gay.
>>
>>87773621

Mike Pence only supported completely voluntary therapy for adults who wanted to change their sexuality. The 'Elecrocute gay people into being straight' thing is a fear-mongering myth.

>>87773625
>Crack is cheaper, and thus black people buy it more, and white people buy powder more (just due to black people being poorer on average).

Sounds like a racist statement to me, you fucking bigot.
>>
>>87773665
>The question is if Republicans would be crying and protesting like this if Hillary had won.
Absolutely, but I doubt there would be riots as republicans tend to be a lot older. There would just be a lot more conspiracy nonsense about it being rigged.
>>
File: image.jpg (95KB, 600x617px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95KB, 600x617px
>>
>>87773666
Because it performs a useful service Satan.
>>
>>87773499
There is very, very little violence on the anti-Trump side. Without exaggeration, 99.9% of it is peaceful protesting.
By the way, there has actually been a spike in hate crimes against minorities since the 8th.
>>
>>87773653

Why is gay marriage important when living wills exist? What rights do you get with one that you don't get with another?

Gay marriage is a non-issue only cared about by ignorant one-issue voters.
>>
>>87773652
Buts it really fucking counter productive idealogies when I see pro-lifers while also complaining about people mooching off of welfare.
>>
>>87773625
>Trump's DEA director may do
>may
How is this not some hand-wavey crap?
>>
>>87773706
>Without exaggeration, 99.9% of it is peaceful protesting.
>There has actually been a spike in hate crimes against minorities since the 8th

Give me sources.
>>
>>87773304
I disagree
fucker
>>
>>87773552
It's not bait. Sorry that I stepped into this echochamber and challenged your views.
>>
>>87773717

Mooching off of welfare is bad.

Murdering unborn babies is also bad.

What's the issue here?
>>
>>87773717
Well duh, it's a firm belief among Evangelicals that all lives are sacred until they're actually born, then they're society's parasites.
>>
>>87773713

Most gays just want to get gay married for the tax benefits. It has nothing to do with symbolizing their relationship or any of that sentimental crap.
>>
>>87773738
Not that guy, but what makes you think these are riots, exactly? They're protests, there's a difference. Blocking an intersection doesn't make it a riot, anon, just inconvenient.
>>
>>87773349
It's not the 1920s anymore Kent!
>>
>>87773713
You get tax breaks and dignity.

Gay marriage being illegal is basically a form of segregation.
>>
>>87773769
The fact that the Portland Police declared the riots is a good start.
>>
at least we finally found out

the 'c' stands for cuck
>>
>>87773769
You can start by reading the Wikipedia article titled "2016 Portland Riots"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Portland,_Oregon_riots
>>
>>87773621
I take it you don't actually know anything about electroshock therapy if that's how you describe it. Good job falling for sensationalism.
>>
>>87773764
>Most gays just want to get gay married for the tax benefits.

Oh, okay. So they want to get married for the one reason that may negatively impact the government. And without the ability to reproduce and reinforce the workforce. Not selfish or stupid at all.

Fuck off. You shouldn't get tax breaks unless you're actively raising children, married or not.

>but what makes you think these are riots, exactly?

The use of violence and destruction of private property.

>Blocking an intersection

Is a serious safety hazard that can cost lives for emergencies and ambulance drivers, you selfish fuck.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-11-15/anti-trump-protesters-block-ambulance-resulting-death-man-4-year-old-daughter
>>
>>87773803

Tax breaks aren't a right. Completely unnecessary bullshit unless you are actively raising a child.

>Gay marriage being illegal is basically a form of segregation.

How? Who are you being segregated from?
>>
>>87773327
But that's all it was, whining. Liberals this time around are having one big baby tantrum because their candidate didn't win.
>>
>>87773489
That's a good reason to protest, in fact that's about the only good reason I can think of to actually protest the results of the election. But there appears to be a disturbingly large amount of people that are protesting just because they don't like that Trump won and are trying to paint all his supporters as racist, misogynistic, homophones. There are always going to be violent butthurt assholes at any protest but it seems like there are a lot more of them in these protests than normal, at least it does to me. I mean I voted against Trump too, but he won fair and square and I'm not so arrogant or pessimistic to believe that 60 million people are all either assholes or easily tricked morons.
>>
>>87773828
>On November 10, 2016, three days of peaceful protests in Portland, Oregon, turned into a riot, when a group described as "anarchists"[6][1] broke off from a larger group of peaceful protesters who were opposed to the election of Donald Trump as president of the United States.

Okay? So it was just some we are anonymoose assholes who broke off from the main group, what's your point?
>>
>>87773760
removing one problem just makes the other one worse.
>>
I can only imagine how badly the media would be flipping out if Republicans were protesting Hillary winning. Imagine all the various terms for bigots being thrown around
>>
>>87773828
I think what anon meant was, what made most protests riots?
>>
>>87773769
>Blocking an intersection doesn't make it a riot, anon, just inconvenient.
Just gonna ruin your commute, stranger. I'm mad as hell about something I can't affect but I CAN make your day worse for literally no reason. I'm an adult!
>>
Why hasn't this thread been purged by now?
>>
>>87773857
>>87773834

So according to you, straight married couples shouldn't be allowed tax breaks either unless they're raising a child?

Because straight married couples get tax breaks anyway, regardless of whether or not they have dependents. They get more with them though.
>>
>>87773872
>there were no riots!
>I-I mean, those riots do not count!
>>
>>87773881

Not necessarily, no.

I don't want welfare-mooching and I don't want abortions. So I encourage responsible sex, responsible pregnancies, and conservative policies about work ethic and family structure.
>>
>>87773489
>The people protesting aren't demanding that Trump step down and allow himself to be replaced by Hillary.
Yes they are. Mostly of these protestors want the electoral college to vote against Trump as some sort of moral obligation because Hillary won the popular vote by a slim margin.
>>
>>87773885
>most protests
Nobody has said this. The fact that there are riots at all is bad enough.
>>
>>87773902
>So according to you, straight married couples shouldn't be allowed tax breaks either unless they're raising a child?

Correct.

>Because straight married couples get tax breaks anyway, regardless of whether or not they have dependents.

I think those tax breaks should be repealed.

Raising children should give tax breaks.

Tax breaks for simply being married? Bullshit. Why should you get tax breaks just for being together? Pay your fair share, you fucking moochers. Either pay taxes or raise kids.
>>
>>87773769
>Blocking an intersection doesn't make it a riot, anon, just inconvenient.

Blocking roads is a felony.
>>
The most tangible result of this election was the outing of the Left and mainstream media. When Obama won we of the right were melancholic, suspicious and generally unhappy (and for good reason). But we had the common decency not to go full tard. The moment liberals saw the world doesn't revolve around their fee fee's they started rioting, physically attacking people and had the most batshit insane meltdowns I've ever seen.

Liberals aren't adults simply put. They have the mentality of a three year old that didn't get his bottle.

As for the media we now KNOW it is nothing but a propaganda machine owned by a small group of people. They are actively encouraging these riots and they've discredited themselves completely. Now they're trying to push for legislation to out "false news" websites and Google is in it too. This is their last, pathetic and totalitarian attempt to wrestle freedom of speech and information away from the people and the Internet. And it will fail magnificently. It is them who are a den of lies.

What I was absolutely unaware of was the magnitude of disconnect between liberals and... well, reality. I was not prepared to witness these things. I still believed they were like me, that there was some logic behind their beliefs. I was wrong. They are wholly worthless and empty vessels that do and think whatever their masters tell them. They are willing slaves and golems. Nothing they are or think has any semblance of goodness or truth in it. They're NPC's and a swarm of shit.

There will be fear mongering up the ass from the Left. If you are White be prepared to defend yourself and your loved ones at all times. Never ever be the one to start shit, but be capable to end it. And stop watching (((news channels))).
>>
File: 1.jpg (348KB, 1489x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
348KB, 1489x2048px
If liberals hated Trump so much why did they nominate a Saturday morning cartoon villain to fight him?
>>
File: 1421687055528.png (170KB, 333x444px) Image search: [Google]
1421687055528.png
170KB, 333x444px
>>87773760
>Stereotypical minorities breed themselves out through abortions
>non stereotypical ones have kids and out breeds the other ones.
Sounds perfect to me fami just get rid of welfare :^)
>>
>>87773890
There is no better way to turn people against your cause, than making them late for work.
>>
>>87773769
>Blocking an intersection is just inconvenient.
Never had a family member rushed to a hospital in an ambulance, I can see.
>>
>>87773834
....did you try to use a news article that literally says they can't verify the source but they're just going to assume it's true as proof of something?

How stupid are you? I mean, god damn, this is why America can't have nice things.
>>
>>87773520
>Or that Hillary DID win the popular vote by some 2MIL votes
1. If this was an election based purely on the popular vote, Trump would have still probably won.
2. He won the electoral college by an embarrassingly large amount so the popular vote means precisely jack and shit in the situation.
3. The only reason Hillary won the popular vote was because of California.
>>
>>87773665
>The question is if Republicans would be crying and protesting like this if Hillary had won.
They'd certainly be whining as much as when Obama won, maybe more so but that's all it would have amounted to. There is a slim chance there would be any protesting or riots from Republicans however, they never do anything like that.
>>
>>87773989
I am fairly certain in that scenario the ambulance drivers are legally allowed, and even encouraged to drive straight through whatever mob may be obstructing them. Kind of like how railroad companies are not liable for anyone that gets run over by their trains.
>>
>>87774022
> He won the electoral college by an embarrassingly large amount
Not really. Obama had bigger margins in the electoral college both times.
>>
>>87773939
>complains that people getting tax breaks are moochers.
>elects a billionaire who hasn't paid taxes in 20 years.
>>
File: JossWhedon.png (39KB, 640x339px) Image search: [Google]
JossWhedon.png
39KB, 640x339px
Remember all the Republican celebrities that called for a coup?
Me neither.
>>
>>87773957

Also this. Liberals are woefully uninformed about Hillary's cartoonish evil. Murders, child rape, bribes, warmongering, fucking satanism. The hag is bona fide evil.
>>
>>87773769
>just inconvenient
Yeah, who needs a working infrastructure.
>>
File: trumprevolution1-20121106.jpg (43KB, 480x293px) Image search: [Google]
trumprevolution1-20121106.jpg
43KB, 480x293px
>>87774098
I remember one.
>>
>>87773957
The hilarious thing is that the Clinton camp actually wanted Trump as an opponent and they still lost.
>>
>>87773621
Donald Trump is a pathological liar and an overall horrible human being. I don't even bother getting into arguments about his policies anymore because nobody knows what his actual views are. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll make a bad president but it does mean that under normal circumstances he would be practically unelectable. The reason he won was because people were so fed up with both political parties and their condescension, contempt of, and refusal to listen to their own base, and these people had been so ignored that the only way to make their views heard was to raise a giant middle finger to both parties and vote for Trump. As an anon said in a different thread the alternative to this vacation in hell is an indefinite stay in purgatory.
>>
>>87774177
Fake
>>
>>87774091
Embarrassingly large for a supposedly tight race that was projected to be his to lose anyway. He took almost all the rust belt.
>>
>>87773325
"Engaging" in the sense of arguing isn't terribly effective. It's not what Trump or his most prominent supporters did. "Preaching" (mostly one-way communication with some two-way communication mixed in) works better and scales better (lower marginal cost per person converted). Randall's problem with this comic is that he didn't preach well. It's hard to blame him since, frankly, his candidate was just too bland and uninteresting herself.
>>
>>87774228
He only got 290. He needed 270 to win. Obama got more than 330 in 2012. His electoral college margin was not "embarrassingly large."
>>
>>87774322
>He only got 290
The votes aren't finished counting. He's probably going to have 306.
>>
>>87773760
Offer free sterilization?
>>
>>87774322
>290
He got 306. He could lose Florida and win.
>>
File: tributes.png (105KB, 500x262px) Image search: [Google]
tributes.png
105KB, 500x262px
>>87774177
It gets worse, anon!
>>
>>87773376
>Trump at least has business experience, which is clearly what is needed with a multi-trillion dollar deficit.

Running a business and running a country have nothing in common. A business's job is to make money: full stop. Anything that doesn't involve making money doesn't matter to you. Making a 'good product' only matters as far as it makes you more money by selling it at a markup.

A national government has to be a government. Its about managing a very large group of easily scared people and keeping them happy and safe. You can be raking in money hand over fist as a government, and if in doing so you ruin the lives of the people you are serving you are a shitty government regardless.

On top of that, a government can't just declare bankruptcy, wait a week, and start a new government that's exactly the same as the old one but with a new name and a clean slate. Unlike Trump's previous business ventures, if he makes a mess as president we are stuck with it. It doesn't just poof away with the magic of corporate law.
>>
>>87774228

He did well compared to George W. Bush and Jimmy Carter, but pretty much every other president in the last 50 years has done better in the electoral college.

1960 was notoriously close, and even then JFK had 303 electoral votes.
>>
>>87773956
>the outing of the Left and mainstream media
You know what would be really awesome? If this change in the political climate, if it really is a political climate change, made cartoons and comics less Tumblr on average.
>>
>>87774453
>Running a business and running a country have nothing in common. A business's job is to make money: full stop.
Countries would be better if every city were a privately-owned for-profit enterprise.
>>
>>87774453
> On top of that, a government can't just declare bankruptcy, wait a week, and start a new government that's exactly the same as the old one but with a new name and a clean slate.
Trump has only done that a handful of times out of hundreds of successes. It's pretty much not a real issue.

And on the other side, he pretty much turned New York from a third world warzone into a modern city. In the 80s, pretty much everyone was willing to write off NYC since decades of liberals had run the city into the ground. Trump turned it around, he brought businesses back in and helped restore the city.
>>
>>87774520

Verily.
>>
>>87774593
> Countries would be better if every city were a privately-owned for-profit enterprise.

"Thank you for calling 911. Your emergency means a lot to us, and we look forward to helping you. After a word from our sponsors..."
>>
>>87774605

Really? And here I thought that was years of work by city and state level government.

You'd think that if Trump saved one of the biggest cities in the world from financial ruin, he would have remembered to mention it during all his campaigning.
>>
>>87774640
Not that guy but you do know there are private security agencies in the US already?
>>
>>87774064

Most Republicans are too old to be rioting anyway.
>>
File: LPD.png (317KB, 1348x1243px) Image search: [Google]
LPD.png
317KB, 1348x1243px
>>87774640
>>
>>87774680

This is america. There is a private version of everything somewhere.
>>
>>87774640
Yeah, just like private hospitals refuse you entry until you watch an advertisement.
Oh wait.
>>
>>87774733
They don't because the government doesn't allow them to do that.
>>
>>87774761
What makes you think that is the only reason?
>>
>>87774693
Or maybe they see rioting as immature and only something children do.
>>
>>87774761
They wouldn't do that regardless.
>>
>>87774782
Because when private corporations are allowed to do something that increases their profits, they do it.
>>
>>87774640
More like, "Hi! Living in Neo-Toledo requires that you pay fire insurance. We've subscribed you automatically. Text us when you leave. -Your FirePal."
>>
File: 1454149115396.png (110KB, 258x196px) Image search: [Google]
1454149115396.png
110KB, 258x196px
>>87774808
>Making people hate their service
>increases their profits
If every hospital forced people to sit through advertisements before getting care I could just corner the market by making a hospital that doesn't, with everyone wanting to come to me instead.
>>
>>87774605
>he pretty much turned New York from a third world warzone into a modern city
Nothing against Trump, but it was the Italian guy who did it.
>>
>>87774808

Indeed, if a private corporation HAS the opportunity to do something that would make them more money, and they DON'T do it, that can actually be used as a failure of due diligence on the part of the executives responsible and can be used as the excuse to fire or replace them.

It happened to the CEO of Netflix back during the Net Neutrality fight. He got outmaneuvered because Netflix was offered a deal so good that the CEO's only options were to accept the deal or decline and then be quickly replaced by someone who would. Not taking the deal and standing up for internet freedoms isn't part of his job description, making money is. Putting ideals before money means failing to do your job.
>>
>>87774886
Hospitals have a distinct advantage when it comes to bargaining power, which allows them to get away with plenty of things unless laws prohibit them. There was a time when hospitals could (and did) force you to sign some pretty awful agreements before they treated you. Government regulation has helped to curtail that somewhat, but wherever a private company can get some more money, they will try, and regulation tends to be reactive by nature.
>>
>>87774886

Good luck getting a license to open your hospital within the city that owns the hospitals you are trying to compete with. They might not make it explictly illegal to compete with their businesses, they will just shape he rules such that anyone who tries won't succeed.
After all, the city itself is a privately owned institution in this hypothetical. Unless you are going to appeal to a higher court to intervene on your behalf, the rules are what they say they are. They are under no obligation to promote competition.
>>
>>87773489

All the smart liberals are just itching to metaphorically hang all those current (establishment) democrats for allowing trump to win and are saving their strength for when all the neo liberal protesters are too tired to stop them.

Seriously.
>>
>>87774886
And yet there are plenty of companies in all manner of businesses that do exactly that and haven't been replaced by companies that don't.

Turns out it's not as simple as snapping your fingers and starting up a competitor. Existing players have an inherent advantage in anything where you need infrastructure because they are already built up and can take steps to head off a newbie competitor. Then, after crushing the newbie, they can go right back to abusive practices with the added benefit of having your company's sorry carcass as a warning to ward off anyone who thinks they get muscle their way into the market.
>>
>>87773327
>There's also the fact that Trump is a completely unqualified buffoon

Why do people pretend Trump is dumb?

Calling the man who manipulated the entirety of the media, and stumped any opposition that came in his way, dumb?

What in God's name does that fucking make everyone else?
>>
>>87774973
I wonder if that's because previous government regulation limits the supply of hospitals and therefore competition? If you believe healthcare was ever a free market you are sadly mistaken, it was always one of the most regulated industries in the country. One of the most ironic things about proponents of government regulation is that they are against money in politics. Every single time some alphabet soup agency is made in the attempt to regulate for the public interest, it gets taken over by the same industries they were trying to regulate and are used to further special interests.
>>
>>87774933
>private corporation
No, that's just publicly traded companies that have that responsibility to their stockholders. Otherwise you can do whatever.
>>
>>87775038
>After all, the city itself is a privately owned institution in this hypothetical.
I'm not even that guy

>>87775090
Existing players have an advantage because of regulations. Are you this fucking stupid? What do you think regulations are? Regulations are barriers of entry that I have to meet in order to start a business. They reduce competition within an economy. Existing businesses aren't hurt as much. If the minimum wage is raised to $12 an hour, Wal-Mart can pay for it but my new store has a harder time paying. That's not the fault of the free market. That's the fault of regulation.

Cartels on the other hand are notorious for falling apart and not lasting. Monopolies only exist through government interference, whether it be tariffs, subsidies, patents, or etc.
>>
>>87775150
> If you believe healthcare was ever a free market you are sadly mistaken, it was always one of the most regulated industries in the country.

In the 1800s it was both largely unregulated and horribly abusive. Modern regulation on hospitals arose precisely because of how awful unregulated medicine was.
>>
>>87775251
> Existing players have an advantage because of regulations.
Existing players have an advantage because they have already built up their infrastructure.

And you seem to ignore that barriers to entry exist in plenty of industries even without factoring in government regulation. Some industries are conducive to monopolies by their very nature, as demonstrated by the existence of monopolies prior to the rise of the regulatory state.
>>
>>87775321
Our standard of living in the 1800s was of lower quality in general. Your argument is akin to saying that the government stopped the evils of child labor even though it was through capitalism that we reached a living standard where children don't need to work.

>>87775370
>Existing players have an advantage because they have already built up their infrastructure.
I never denied this. Obviously if you already have a business existing you have an advantage in an industry. Regulations contribute to this advantage and prevent more businesses from competing. This helps form large monolithic entities.

>Some industries are conducive to monopolies by their very nature, as demonstrated by the existence of monopolies prior to the rise of the regulatory state.
Name one long lasting monopoly that wasn't in any way helped by the government. Even in the 1800s the government contributed to steel and railroad monopolies.
>>
>>87775476
> that wasn't in any way helped by the government
If you want to be that broad, the fact that governments prevent foreign invasion is enough to say "that's not a free market, monopolies are created by the government!"
>>
>>87775251
Let me backpedal a tad on this statement.

>Monopolies only exist through government interference, whether it be tariffs, subsidies, patents, or etc.
There are few examples of monopolies that have existed. I can think of Aloca or Microsoft. Allow me to make a distinction between two types of monopolies though. Monopolies that come into being without the help of the government are not inherently bad. If they try to profiteer others will come to take their place and they will get out competed. The second type is the government protected monopoly. These are the ones I take issue with.

>>87775555
True, but I'm arguing under the assumption that there isn't any coercion involved regardless.
>>
>>87775476
>Your argument is akin to saying that the government stopped the evils of child labor even though it was through capitalism that we reached a living standard where children don't need to work.
but that's exactly right. and now that workplaces are safe, kids need to get back to work
>>
File: im_with_her.png (44KB, 740x633px) Image search: [Google]
im_with_her.png
44KB, 740x633px
full comic

i don't really get the point though
>>
>>87775476
> it was through capitalism that we reached a living standard where children don't need to work.
Except that child labor lowers standard of living, and government banning it did help. It's not an issue of standard of living rising to the point that it's unnecessary, but rather overriding a shortsighted decision made by people with a limited perspective. It's not that a rising standard of living leads to a decline in child labor, but rather a decline in child labor leads to a rising standard of living.

Having children working means they aren't doing what is actually more productive, namely learning. If society allows children to work, then both families and companies will put those children to work in the name of short term gains. In reality, child labor is harmful in the long run, but in the short term a family wants another source of income and a company wants a worker that can fit in small spaces, so both will seek to push the child into working when that is not in the child's long term interests or the interests of the society at large.

By both banning child labor and providing public education for children, the government is able to improve the long term prospects of those children. In turn, it benefits from a more educated populace that is able to command higher wages and thus give the government more in tax revenues which allows for more spending on infrastructure improvements, housing, sanitation, etc. that improves standard of living. This cycle also increases the number of people able to contribute to scientific development, further improving the nation's standard of living.
>>
>>87773226
>>87773192
Unless he meant the comic as a whole, this comic is more "needlessly quirky" than "smug"
>swordfighitng chair guy
>black hat guy with laser-girl
>beret guy with squirrel
>girl with kite

None of which really has anything to do with Hillary.
>>
>>87775703
>>87775789
I'm not arguing in favor of child labor. I'm arguing that the government took credit for something it did not contribute to at the slightest. Child labor was largely being phased out of the private sector prior to the FLSA. It was being phased out thanks to us reaching higher standards of living. Child labor used to be necessary. It no longer is. That's my point.
>>
>>87775906
> Child labor used to be necessary. It no longer is. That's my point.
And my point is that it wasn't necessary even during the early days of the US and was actually harmful, but remained in place as long as it did because of individual shortsightedness rather than usefulness. It wasn't made unnecessary by rising standard of living, it was holding standard of living down and its elimination contributed to rising standard of living.
>>
>>87775983
>And my point is that it wasn't necessary even during the early days of the US and was actually harmful, but remained in place as long as it did because of individual shortsightedness rather than usefulness.
It remained in place for as much as it was needed. A lot of teenagers after child labor laws were passed had their living standards reduced because they couldn't work and provide for their family. They would even lie to employers about their age to get employers to hire them. Schooling is simply another method of raising your standard of living. In some instances job experience is more helpful than graduating from high school.
>>
>>87775906
> Child labor was largely being phased out of the private sector prior to the FLSA.

Only during the great depression, and that was only because adults were so desperate that they were willing to work for basically nothing. Prior to the depression, child labor was still common in the US. And when the economy eventually recovered, child labor would have returned as well were it not for the FLSA banning it.

FDR used the lull in industry whining to get the ban passed, and since businesses weren't going to be immediately hurt by it they didn't object as forcefully as they had previously. Then when the depression passed, it was already law and had the weight of bureaucratic inertia behind it.
Thread posts: 166
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.