[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: All_grown_up_characters.jpg (425KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
All_grown_up_characters.jpg
425KB, 1024x768px
What went wrong?
>>
>>87754732
Nothing, this show is kino and it had a cool theme song
>>
>>87754732
Nothing. The show was Nickelodeon's last good Nicktoon, along with Teenage Robot. That is, until The Loud House came out, which is actually pretty good.

Klasky Csupo made 6 really good Nicktoons.
>>
>>87754732
They used the characters from Rugrats.

Its an okay show, but besides maybe Phil, everyone was very different to what they used to be.
>>
>>87755705
wait, you're telling me that people act differently when they age? Coulda fooled me, everyone round here still acts like babies
>>
>>87754732
Not much. Anjelica's still a cunt, but at least she owns up to it in the end.
>>
>>87754732
They made them all too young. They are like 12 in All Grown Up.
>>
>>87754732
They act like high schoolers, despite being middle schoolers.
It had the writing of a generic sitcom.
>>
>>87754732
Klasky Scupo's character designs do not translate beyond babies is what.

The show was written poorly. You have wriggle room to characterize a bunch of babies because you can literally just write things as if you are seeing/experiencing it for the first time and do pretty well. Teens is difficult because you're suddenly having to top on life experience, but still constrain it before being an adult, which all of the writers had been for like 20 years when the show was out. Teens are difficult to write properly.
>>
>>87756078
Eh, All Grown Up's designs (especially Season 2+) were innoffensive by Klasky Csupo standards, IMO. Nothing compared to ATBG or Wild Thorberries.
>>
>>87756078
Then again, shows like the Simpsons demonstrate that child characters are rarely written like children either, as opposed to neurotic college students.
>>
>>87754732
They grew up
that went wrong
>>
File: 1468530078915.jpg (14KB, 262x337px) Image search: [Google]
1468530078915.jpg
14KB, 262x337px
>>87755938
>>87756021
You fucking shitting me? This whole time I thought they actually were in high school.
>>
>>87756405
Angelica and Susie were the oldest, and they were 13. Dil was 9, and everyone else was around 10 to 11 years old.
>>
>>87756129
>Then again, shows like the Simpsons demonstrate that child characters are rarely written like children either, as opposed to neurotic college students.

Early on the kids from The Simpsons were written pretty realistically.

>Milhouse asking Bart what kind of sprinklers he likes
>Lisa and her friends scrambling to force Bart to get a makeover at the sleepover
>Lisa believing Bart's bullshitting about the Grip of Death and then later asking him to beat up the bullies for her

But then in later seasons we got stuff like Bart having a crisis because he's broken up with all of his past girlfriends (including one who he almost moved to Utah with to marry to raise her bastard baby) and thinks that means no girl will ever love him so he goes to New York to hook up with Mary who is living there as an SNL writer.
>>
>>87756021
>>87755938

This. It was yet another show where the kids don't act anywhere near their age and it just throws off the plot too much.
>>
>>87756405
>>87756685
They were in the 5th grade, chuckie 6th grade, Susie and angelica 7th?
>>
>>87755705
I think Chuckie, Angelica and Susie aged accordingly to what their characters used to be.

I don't know what the fuck were they thinking with Tommy.
>>
You know, the regular episodes may have been awful for the most part, but I remember most of the 2-parter or "movie" specials were pretty good.

I recall the one were they all go on an Old West vacation and Tommy was fucking hyped to go but when he realizes he sucks shit at cowboy stuff and everyone especially Chuckie was better at it and ends up having way more fun he gets all butthurt.

Or the one where they're on a cross-country trip to take Suzie to NY and the kids get separated from the moms, and at first they try to act all tough but after a couple of days they're literally on the verge of tears and it's actually kind of touching when they reunite. And Suzie sings about cheese.
>>
>>87754732
Kimi is my waifu
>>
>>87758727
You forgot the one with Camp Everwood.
>>
>>87758884
by that, I mean the movie where they went to Camp Everwood, so Tommy can do his horror movie.
>>
Didn't this show have a lot of "very special episodes" too? I remember an episode where Suzy gets scammed out of a thousand bucks because she thought she was doing an audition for a recording studio and then on top of the shame and humiliation when she gets home she has a fucking panic attack because her sister makes her realize she could have been raped or killed.
>>
They didn't hook Angelica and Chuckie up before ending the show.
>>
>>87754732
They were like 12 but had problems of a 17 year old
>>
>>87754732
>>87754784
>>87754975
This show was fucking shit. Could have replaced the Rugrats with literally any character. Had absolutely none of the charm Rugrats had, and no reason to exist.
>>
>>87754732
Nothing. If they made them a little older, it probably would've made more sense, but the concept and the roll out wasn't as bad as people on /co/ complain about.

The characters didn't seem ridiculously out of character and didn't spew cringy slang-filled dialogue ("how do ya do, fellow kids"). The worst episodes were probably the puberty episode and the episode where Susie gets ripped off, but compared to similar shows geared at tween/teens, that's not really off par.

Make them 14-15, and it wouldn't feel too different than an iCarly (which isn't bad for Nickelodeon).
>>
>>87759894
No but i remember a episode where they say Angelica loved another fat ginger for some reason
>>
>>87760186
Yep, there were mixed signals from Angelica about her relationships with both the FraidyFinster and her sherpa.
>>
>>87754732

It shouldn't have been a TV series. The pilot pecial was the only good episode if only because it was interesting seeing the Rugrats characters much older. The actual TV series is just a generic teen sitcom with Rugrats characters attached to it. The concept worked as a one-off TV special, not a full series.
>>
>>87754732
>take a character with a drive for adventure and heroism
>turn him into a faggot beta film student self insert
it was all downhill from there
>>
>>87754732

Granted, it's been about even 13 years since I've even seen a episode, but weren't most of them supposed to be ten or eleven years old? They were doing some straight up Degrassi teen drama with these characters who seem to be barely in 5th grade.
>>
File: Really_joker.png (229KB, 488x349px) Image search: [Google]
Really_joker.png
229KB, 488x349px
>>87754732
NO.
FUCKING.
ADVENTURES.

You would expect them to do adventurous shit Teens don't normally do, like when they were babies, but fuck no less make them into drama teir bullshit.

>That whole episode where they turned on Tommy because of Dil being an attention whore.
>>
Dil was the only decent character. The adults were awful and depressing.
>>
>>87754732
Instead of using the tone from the special, they tried to copy As Told by Ginger.
>>
>>87762761
But else will they make 22+ episodes out of that concept?
>>
>>87762806
The special actually felt fun. The show was boring as hell.
>>
The special felt like an extension of the original series. The show itself did not. Instead of the kids going on wacky adventures, it became a generic, bad, cringeworthy teen drama, only they were several years too young for the kind of stories they were doing.
>>
>>87754732
It's weird that they are LITERALLY just taller versions of themselves as babies. I mean, if you photoshopped Tommy and Phil's hair out, they would just look like tall babies.

But as for serious complaints, there were no adventures. It was the same-old teen drama shit you'd get from literally any other teen-oriented show at the time.
>>
Angelica and Susie were maybe the only characters who acted like the age they were supposed to be.
>>
File: image.png (550KB, 680x511px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
550KB, 680x511px
>mfw Phil and Lil confirm they made Dil retarded by dropping him on his head.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.