[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is The Question as based in his comics as he is in JLU?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 11

File: fs14[1].jpg (41KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
fs14[1].jpg
41KB, 852x480px
Is The Question as based in his comics as he is in JLU?
>>
File: questionrorschach7.jpg (29KB, 311x470px) Image search: [Google]
questionrorschach7.jpg
29KB, 311x470px
I think he was at his best in JLU, but yeah.
>>
>>87731968
I didn't like the DCAU portrayal that much, but the comics are seriously some of the best DC has ever put out.
>>
>>87731968
>He hasn't read O'Neil's Question
Fuck off casual, that's required reading.
>>
>>87731968
It's good but he's an entirely different character from this cartoon portrayal.
>>
File: 1170274179001.png (11KB, 583x729px) Image search: [Google]
1170274179001.png
11KB, 583x729px
Man, /co/ used to love this guy back in the day.

I think his death and bizarre usage in Nu52 might have hurt his visibility, though.
>>
>>87731968
Fucking this >>87732118
JLU Question does not reach the minimum base level compared to base O´Neill`s Question
>>
>>87731968
Every major version of The Question is vastly different from the last. The original was pure Objectivist Ditko, O'Neil's was 80s urban noir meets Zen mysticism and JLU's was conspiracy theorist moe blob Jeffrey Combs.
>>
File: Question 12.jpg (88KB, 323x434px) Image search: [Google]
Question 12.jpg
88KB, 323x434px
Yes, but in a very different way. He's much more human, fallible and three-dimensional. Plus, it helps that his 80s run under Denny O'Neil is one of the absolute best things DC has ever published.
>>
>>87732171
Renee's disappointing time in his shoes also didn't help.
>>
>still no fucking vol. 1 reprint
Is DC run by evil demons?
>>
>>87732356
I loved Montoya back in GCPD. Her time as Question felt like the death of two characters.
>>
The thing you'll learn as you read more comics is that the DCAU wasn't bad but it's generally less than ideal. Not fair to it to compare those portrayals to comics when there's just not enough time to flesh out most characters outside of their own series.

>>87732387
Didn't they start putting it up on digital? Might get a reprint soon.
>>
>>87732439
Pipeline was pretty cool...until it got to the third act and ended up being more magic Vandal Savage bullshit from the Final Crisis tie-in.
No idea what Rucka was thinking.
>>
File: Question 24.jpg (24KB, 350x428px) Image search: [Google]
Question 24.jpg
24KB, 350x428px
>>87732356
What killed me about Renee was that I loved the character, loved Gotham Central, loved the way she took the mantle, but once she did she hardly ever seemed to get a chance to do some actual gritty urban crime stuff.
She always seemed to be dealing with the fallout of bigger events and getting involved with the Crime Bible and Cain and later Vandal Savage... I imagine Rucka probably didn't want to retread his (and O'Neil's) steps by putting her back in the streets, but it was still annoying to have every single story end up in yet another globe-trotting brutal cult adventure.
>>
>>87732472
>The thing you'll learn as you read more comics is that the DCAU wasn't bad but it's generally less than ideal. Not fair to it to compare those portrayals to comics when there's just not enough time to flesh out most characters outside of their own series.

Careful now, you might get cartoonfags on your ass once again.
>>
>>87732510
It was just a wasted opportunity through and through.

The only person in the entire world who liked the direction was Rucka himself.
>>
File: Question 42.jpg (296KB, 616x800px) Image search: [Google]
Question 42.jpg
296KB, 616x800px
>>87732491
Way I see it, it may have been two things:
A) Rucka didn't want to do another crime series in the DCU.
B) DC in general just didn't want a gritty street-level crime book in the early 2010s.
Either way it was a waste, yeah.
>>
>>87732548
There are people who do not acknowledge this?
>>
>>87732548
let them come
>>
>>87732773
The weird thing is that he was simultaneously doing magical crime shit with Batwoman and it was working wonderfully.

But those aspects of Renee's stories were just so laaaaaame.
>>
File: estion.jpg (110KB, 1400x700px) Image search: [Google]
estion.jpg
110KB, 1400x700px
>>87731968
He used to be very based, but then time and other writers watered him down.

JLU was pretty damn fine portrayal of a based Question.

He is Rorschach tier Objectivist that mixes the right amount of alex jones crazy with vigilence

Watch this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI0vtqxoG1k
>>
File: Question Kick.jpg (37KB, 479x453px) Image search: [Google]
Question Kick.jpg
37KB, 479x453px
>>87732906
I think it's because Kate from the get-go was doing magical crime shit, being targeted by the Crime Bible guys and such. And once Elegy started, having JH Williams III on art meant it always had a very tangible, fantastical quality to it.
Meanwhile, Renee was a character who started in the streets, who took on the mantle of a character who never left the streets, and with the most minor of slow burns suddenly she was punching Vandal Savage and whatnot. The transition just didn't work. And maybe it could've worked with more time and more arcs, but Pipeline going rrright back to it didn't help.
>>
File: wow.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
wow.gif
2MB, 200x200px
>>87733034
>Do you know how much power I would have to give up to be president?
Fuuuuuuuccckkkkk
>>
AGLETS
G
L
E
T
S
>>
>>87733158
that's right conspiracy buff, i spent $75 million dollars on a fake presidential campaign all just to tick superman off
>>
>>87733201
>there was a time when $75 million was a lot of money to spend on a fake presidential campaign
>>
File: 1170274772985.jpg (134KB, 583x729px) Image search: [Google]
1170274772985.jpg
134KB, 583x729px
>>87732171
>>
>>87732225
>moe blob

huh?
>>
File: Luthor lays down a Question.webm (376KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Luthor lays down a Question.webm
376KB, 1280x720px
HE'S
A
BITCH
>>
>>87731968
He's got a few comics. Original Charlton, by Ditko so the art is gorgeous, but some of the writing is a bit off putting. There's a bit of it in 52 Companion, more on 52 in a bit.

Then there's O'Neil's run, pretty much the character's definitive run. It's an interesting mend of Film noir, martial arts and Zen Buddhism.

It's pretty nuts. Finally there's 52 the year long story told from the PoV of a number of different characters including Vic Sage and Renee Montoya, which you've really got to read for yourself if you get the chance, just explaining it would either spoil it or do not do the story justice.
>>
I don't like Montoya as Question. She deserves to be confined to the dustbin
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.