[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it bad to only buy trades? I hate the floppy format.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: 15_h4uml2utzcy9u2pbt34.jpg (155KB, 1000x647px) Image search: [Google]
15_h4uml2utzcy9u2pbt34.jpg
155KB, 1000x647px
Is it bad to only buy trades? I hate the floppy format.
>>
>>87699260
nope, i do the same anon
>>
>>87699260
Nah, if it weren't for trades this industry would have gone down a long time ago.
>>
It's not at all bad to buy trades only, but it has an unfortunate side-effect of cutting into floppy sales, which are the primary source of statistics for publishers. That is to say, trade-waiting on a good series may inadvertently cause that series to be cancelled prematurely.

However, I do believe that TPB pre-orders are starting to be considered alongside floppy sales, but I'm not sure if that's actually the case.
>>
Consumers are not responsible for saving dying industries. The industries must learn to adapt.
>>
I get the trades of stories I really like or stuff too damn expensive/rare to find in floppy format. Otherwise floppies to support the LCS and the writers/artists.
>>
>>87699260
Anything worthwhile is worth waiting for HC format.
>Big Two cape anthology picture
Oh nevermind, you were never about buying worthwhile comics.
>>
>>87699318

That's what I worry about. I worry the books I enjoy end up getting cancelled early because no one buys the floppies. But then again, isn't Marvel using some seasonal formula now where runs never actually go long anymore?
>>
>>87699355
I believe the "seasonal formula" was just Brevoort's way of trying to get around the question of why Marvel NOW! is happening for a third or fourth time.

But yes, most of Marvel's books do seem to have the habit of not lasting longer than 12 months before being rebooted or renumbered, or cancelled entirely.
>>
>>87699350
You can like indies and eurocomics all you want, but trying to deny the big two haven't put out good books is stupid.
>>
>>87699350

I bet you read those edgy TV pilot Image books that have former cape talent that end up creating something mediocre once they leave the big 2.
>>
>>87699390

Are you guys ready for "All-Now, All-Different 2.0" next year?
>>
>>87699355
>I worry the books I enjoy end up getting cancelled early because no one buys the floppies
The big 2 aren't making many good books, and those get canceled because the garbage titles with Batman and Wolverine in them sell 5x better.
You can buy all the floppies of "Obscure DC title" all you like, it will get canceled early regardless because "Batman and His Amazing Friends" flies off the shelves. So they'll replace your book with Chinese Batman Adventures.

There's nothing you can do about this.
>>
>>87699451
Most of us are predicting a ripoff of the "Rebirth" name.

>Marvel REBORN!
>>
File: P1000044.jpg (872KB, 1314x1752px) Image search: [Google]
P1000044.jpg
872KB, 1314x1752px
>>87699406
>>87699409
The rare high-quality DC or Marvel title has nothing whatsoever to do with floppy sales.
Their ability to peddle complete crap to loyal fanbases actually diminishes the odds of great stuff cropping up.
>>
File: P1000076.jpg (888KB, 1613x1210px) Image search: [Google]
P1000076.jpg
888KB, 1613x1210px
>>87699406
>>87699409
Holy crap, are my pictures out of date.
>>
File: MarvelRebirth.png (4MB, 3640x800px) Image search: [Google]
MarvelRebirth.png
4MB, 3640x800px
>>87699464
>>
File: MarvelRebirthTemplate.png (89KB, 520x800px) Image search: [Google]
MarvelRebirthTemplate.png
89KB, 520x800px
>>87699464
>>87699610
>>
>>87699260
Hell no

I think it might even be better in the long run. If trades greatly eclipsed floppies, it would mean Marvel/DC would need to put more thought into their longer-term stories. A book that jumps all around the place isn't likely to sell as well.
>>
Modern comics read better in trade anyway. Nobody but their own mistake for writing for trade. Just pick up single issues that are likely to not sell, like the Flintstones.
>>
>>87699499
But you read Kirkman.
>>
I hope the entire industry dies and becomes free webcomics.
>>
>Buy trades
>Support your favorite series by buying the newest floppies
>Wait for more trades
>Donate your floppies to charity

That's my MO.
>>
>>87699849

floppies feel like a waste of money.
>>
>>87699849
>>87699871
Originals are worth more than reprints. Trades have no value other than the story in them.
>>
>>87699260

I appreciate the floppy format, I understand the issue concept. But it's less of a pain in the ass to just buy it all together at once. It sucks when you want to read a full story and you have issue #1, #3, #4, #7 etc.
>>
>>87699962
If you're buying comics for profit you're in the wrong hobby hombre
>>
>>87699318
I'm positive the business is moving towards trades as the main product. They sell very well in bookstores and Amazon, which is basically the only way to reach people who don't go to the comic book store.

The push for more "girl" books at Marvel like Hellcat and Mockingbird is a response to the success of Ms. Marvel in trade, though those particular titles didn't succeed.

At DC the change to bimonthly is clearly to push trades out more frequently. DC of all people know the money is in TPBs what with Watchmen, TDKR, Killing Joke and Court of Owls continuing to sell gangbusters. I believe DCYou was an attempt to cater to the tastes of people who don't go to the comic book store but go to bookstores, but the floppy sales were so bad they had to stop.
>>
>>87699962
Tell that to people selling oop trades and omnibuses.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.