[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did this show get so lore driven and depressing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_3305.jpg (362KB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3305.jpg
362KB, 960x1440px
How did this show get so lore driven and depressing?
>>
>>87697780
lost its heart when rebecca sugar left

then the creator himself quit and passed it down to some third-rate studio minions who didn't know what to do with it anymore
>>
File: Canyouimagine.jpg (41KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
Canyouimagine.jpg
41KB, 500x371px
>>87697780
They just ran out of ideas

They mainly planted seeds and did lore episodes before but most went nowhere and some were really not that interesting

Being Lore driven gives people ideas and kinda removes a lot of the wackiness the episodes had and how crazy some of them would turn,a more classic layout and story line with lore and deressing themes makes it easier to write

Also to give fans what they want because they know shows on its last legs
>>
File: 1462829223016.jpg (83KB, 407x490px) Image search: [Google]
1462829223016.jpg
83KB, 407x490px
>>87697994
>They mainly planted seeds and did lore episodes before but most went nowhere and some were really not that interesting

This is exactly why I stopped paying attention to Adventure Time

It got too navel-gazey and it's ending because even the stupid fans are fed up with it
>>
>>87697780
Different writers that wanted to make deep things and wanted Finn to suffer through hardships and grow as a person, but they didn't actually understand what they're talking/writing about and it just turned into the "Lets treat Finn like shit" show.

There were some episodes that were good, but most were pretentious drivel that added noting to the overall scheme of things and were a detriment overall. This coupled with the Status Quo that mostly happened, the writing went downhill, pretty fast.

I miss it when it was a couple of friends having a dungeon craw/going on quests l and helping the citizens of Ooo deal with a monster.

Does Adventure Time even have any new episodes coming out? I've completely forgotten about it several months ago.
>>
>>87698033
There are plenty of shows where status quo rules and nothing ever changes, but Adventure Time spits in your face by pretending like shit's about to get real and then it never does.
>>
>>87697780
The beginning of the end was I Remember You. It's a good episode, but it was also the start of the 2deep4u episodes.
>>
>>87698041
It may have some this week? Im on its Wiki but it may or may not be accurate
>>
>>87698148

Precisely
>>
Did they do anything with the 7 chosen shits that the lich was mentioning? Also Ron pearlman is fucking boss.
>>
>Penn Ward previously worked on Flapjack
>one of Flapjack's favorite jokes was to have a bunch of fucked up implications going on, but Flapjack himself was blissfully ignorant
>decides to do something similar with his own cartoon, by dropping subtle hints that the silly world is post-apocolyptic and has an embodiment of evil running around
>writers sometimes decide to more with those concepts than keep them in the background
>fans assume that there's some overarching mystery because of it and eat it up
>now everyone's expecting the show to be more mature than it is
>Rebbeca Sugar becomes well-known for trying to steer the show toward what fans want it to be, with more "character development" episodes
>she gets all sorts of acclaim and eventually gets moved over to her own show
>suddenly every other writer wants to bring their own style to the show, in hopes that they can be the next Rebbeca Sugar
>Pen Ward gave up trying to steer the boat long ago
>show becomes a mess of writers trying to one-up each other and get their own ideas included
>fans migrate to shows like Gravity Falls and Steven Universe, which actually have the overarching background mystery and character arcs that they always wanted Adventure Time to
>Adventure Time ends up reduced to a bunch of writers having free reign to do whatever the fuck kind of experimental shit they want
>>
>just for a change of tone, release a sad, lore-based episode
>people appreciate the change in tone
>WELL SHIT, WHO LIKES THE OLD EPISODES AMIRITE, LET"S MAKE THEM ALL SAD AND LORE-BASED
>>
All the criticisms in this thread are pretty much true and even then it's a pretty good show.

It makes it extremely difficult for a person to like it at times, but if you're willing to put up with the bullshit they throw at you (which honestly I don't blame you if you can't) then it still does a lot of things really cool.
>>
>>87698896
Pretty much this. It's really evident in the last couple of seasons, with several episodes even ditching the art style that the show is known for. I'm all for taking a little creative liberty with writing, as long as it keeps the same feeling, but what the fuck. They can't just ditch the fantasy RPG theme because they like claymation or scribble artwork (and think they can write something based on that style) more.
>>
>>87700147
that stuff's not really that big of a deal, just done for funsies and they're not canon anyway. plus all those episodes were pretty good aside from that shitty looking one about the water park.

AT's done other stuff that stray's a lot farther from the central theme/setting, like that one episode that's entirely about mundane high school drama which could have taken place in an entirely normal town, not 1000 years after a magical nuclear holocaust. I find shit like that much more egregious.
>>
File: 1452988738360.jpg (148KB, 950x722px) Image search: [Google]
1452988738360.jpg
148KB, 950x722px
This is objectively how AT should end

>final battle with The Lich
>Finn really loses his arm and gets a robotic one
>Mushroom War explained
>Ice King gets a happy ending
>Finn fucks Bubblegum
>>
>>87700769
like............. yeah
>>
>>87699793
So much this, more serious episodes were fine every once in awhile but they took it too far.
>>
>finn will never have a coming of age arc

it fuckings hurts so much
>>
How did you all feel about the "All the Little People" episode?

yenno..the one where Finn was literally shipping everyone?
>>
>>87697899
Becky was part of the reason it became bad. Hasn't been good since the beginning when it was fun times.
>>
>>87698041
Cereal box philosophy, Sugar's crying fetish (which is basically equivalent to Moore's whores and Byrne's lolis), hatred of Finn, shipping, side characters becoming too prevalent, obvious call backs to previous episodes without any real reason, wasted potential. This show could have been either fun or serious after the second season, but they decided to mess it all up by trying both sporadically.
>>
>>87701123
Sugar was their best songwriter tho
>>
>>87697780
Most of the people that made the show good left and went off to do better things.
>>
>>87700769
>>Finn fucks Bubblegum
>"Finn I suddenly want to have sex with you for some reason despite not any romantic feelings for you whatsoever and im renouncing my established lesbianism"
Yeah that's definately how its going to happen
>>
>>87701123
Sugar actually knows how to hint at something with actual payoff, look at Garnet being a fusion compared to any Adventure Time lore
>>
>>87701123
I disagree. Sugar was not the problem. The problem is that Sugar left and the other storyboarders could not recapture what made her episodes special.
>>
File: 1447146078790.png (296KB, 649x649px) Image search: [Google]
1447146078790.png
296KB, 649x649px
>>87701255
>Bubbline
>canon
>>
>>87701090
it was funny seeing god finn. just a kid playing with toys and shit.
>>
File: 1379435277814.png (675KB, 860x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1379435277814.png
675KB, 860x1280px
such a cool show. should have ended after season 4 but whatever, we got some great eps later on. all the guest animator episodes were pretty neat.
>>
>>87697780

You don't date staff.

Alternatively, you don't make your girlfriend a major voice lead.

Sugar leaving stung, but FP was the beginning of the end.
>>
>>87701123
Thank you. Getting sick of SU fans showing up in the corpse of these threads like maggots.
>>
>>87697899
>lost its heart when rebecca sugar left
Nigga, Rebecca was the one who ruined AT. She ruined almost everything with her forced shit.
>>
>>87701272
>Sugar was not the problem.
Not the problem but the start of it. She basically wrote "Rebecca Sugar episodes featuring Adventure Time characters" similar to Alan Moore's style. Sure, sometimes it works, but that sort of way of doing things is incredibly dangerous because it makes it more about you and less about the characters.

Everyone else then thought it was okay to do it that way, and that's why we see a wildly erratic set of quality. Who knows if the next episode will be bad, mediocre, or extremely bad? That was the problem that started during Sugar's reign.
>>
>>87697780
Show stopped being worth a damn past season 2.

And Pen just gives up and retreats into his cave to eat pizza and play video games for the remainder of his life. A part of me wants to rank on him for that but at the same time I don't blame the man for bailing like he did. Shit sucks.
>>
will they ever go back to wacky, goofy, zany adventures?
>>
>>87697780
It is now restricted by the lore of the series.

at this point, it would be far better to either kill the series soon or if they were really clever, give the rights to an software developer for an RPG.

By exploring the lore, they create good grounds for an RPG.
>>
>>87703221
And what will happen after 5-10 years when he stops making residual income from reruns and merchandising of his show
>>
>>87703258
With the current games they've released so far, they'd probably just fuck that up too.

>>87700991
I mean they like to tout out that the breakup with FP, Martin, and his missing arm was his "Coming of Age" arc, but those three were ass.

Also, is it me, or do they always seem to give a shit whenever something is Marceline related?
>>
>>87703368
Marceline is probably their pet character. Honestly, I hate her. She's Shadow the Hedgehog-esque pseudo-edgy.
>>
>>87703451
Hey, Marceline used to be great. Fucking Rebecca ruined her.
>>
>>87701090
i through it's an episode about how hateful shipping is, but then the create team shipped PB and Marcy
>>
File: 59926744_p7.png (368KB, 1131x800px) Image search: [Google]
59926744_p7.png
368KB, 1131x800px
>>87697780
If we're solely talking about the show being lore driven and depressing and not feelings towards the show being depressing: An emphasis on passing time.
Main character growing up, immortal teen vampire not growing up, nigh-immortal Princess/Dictator, immortal ex-human present mad magician. When you acknowledge time, things build up, and character interactions mean something, later on.
Time is depressing.
>>
>>87697899
Pen didn't leave the show when he stepped down
in fact the last episode to credit him under "story by" (not counting The Music Hole, which was based off of an OLD outline idea from season 1) was broke his crown AND he's gonna board at least one episode next season
>>
>>87701606
>he still denies its not canon after What was missing, Sky Witch, and Vamps About
loving every laff
>>
>>87703280
Make another show I guess.
I doubt his royalties will just stop after that long. He's a fucking millionaire thanks to AT and he's pretty frugal. He's not going to run out of money for a long time.
>>
>the show's problem is that it promised lore and then went "fuck you and fuck continuity"
>the show's problem is that it has too much lore episodes
So what was it, /co/? Watched till the end of season 6, liked pretty much most of it. My gripe is the first problem, they can't decide what to do with it, so they try going in every direction.
>>
>>87705357
Both problems simultaneously. Too much lore, but none of it meaningful.
>>
>>87705357

The problem is basically that people introduced cool plot points but when said people left then the remaining and new writers tried to do their own shit or took those previous plot points to retarded directions, all this without committing to any of the changes they make and always returning to status quo in the end

>hey how about if the Ice King was actually a normal human who became insane and used to be friends with Marceline

good

>Yeah and how about there's this girlfriend ha had and we introduce and force her into the plot on the same episode by deus ex machina

absolutely retarded
>>
>>87705357
>>87705486
You could have a TON of lore but have it go nowhere with a bunch of "to be continued" type plots and whatnot.

Worse is if it has lore episodes that contradict previous lore episodes.
>>
>>87703368
>Also, is it me, or do they always seem to give a shit whenever something is Marceline related?

People always say this but do you remember that time when Marceline literally showed up one time in season 6? Like 50 episodes and she was the star in one of them, that doesn't seem to me like the staff are head over heels for the character.

If anything Stakes was them realizing how much they fucked up by leaving a fan favorite out to dry for so long so they quadrupled down on her with a miniseries and lots of lesbian stuff to keep the fans happy.

Considering that at this point Marceline is almost always nothing more than a prop used to either showcase her relationship with Bubblegum or Ice King I don't think the writers really give a shit about her at all outside of those situations.
>>
AT stopped being good when the background implications stopped being in the background
>>
>>87697780
They tried it out, people liked it, now they don't know how to stop.
>>
>>87697780
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CerebusSyndrome
>>
>>87697780
As someone that's watched all the way through up to the most recent five episodes... what the fuck are you talking about?
Comfiest show ever.
>>
Started out awesome and then the executives got involved
>>
>>87706132
Here he is folks.
Took him long enough
>>
>>87701255
>lesbianism
The young version of herself had a crush on Finn. She obviously swings both ways.
>>
>>87706114
Why isn't it called the "Alan Moore effect" considering that he edgifies and ruins everything he touches while also adding false depth and bubblegum wrapper philosophy?
>>
>>87699793
But people already bitch about steven universe being full of worthless light hearted that nobody gives a fuck about.
>>
>>87706148
He's not wrong.
>>
>>87705280
>Asked if he'd ever want to create another TV show, Ward responds with horror: "No, never. That sounds like a nightmare!"
Yeah, I can see him living on AT money for a long time before slowly returning to storyboarding other shows
>>
File: I remember you.jpg (47KB, 579x609px) Image search: [Google]
I remember you.jpg
47KB, 579x609px
>>87698205
It gave us this macro so I can't ever be mad at it
Captcha: lulworth school
>>
File: IMG_8937.jpg (318KB, 600x429px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8937.jpg
318KB, 600x429px
>>87706222
>Trips
OT3 confirmed
>>
>>87707276
What does Marco have to do with AT?
>>
>>87706293
Alan Moore is something completely different. I think that link is talking about when something starts lighthearted, but slowly becomes darker as it goes on until it's barely recognizable. Compare something like the first season of Reboot to the third, where it goes from wacky hi-jinx and computer puns to whatever the fuck was going on in the later seasons and computer puns.
>>
File: 1476997170302.jpg (66KB, 1123x957px) Image search: [Google]
1476997170302.jpg
66KB, 1123x957px
>>87701255
She wasn't even hinted to be a lesbian until like Season 4. And the writers stuck with that because the ravenous shipfags in the fandom ate it up.

Remember that Season 2's finale starts with Bubblegum giving Finn a handmade gift and telling him to stay safe because she "really likes him".
>>
File: IMG_9114.jpg (70KB, 800x516px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9114.jpg
70KB, 800x516px
>>87709608
I would love it if any girl got with Finn in the end, and the writers would say "we didn't say they were lesbians outright in the first place" to the angry fans

Pic related
>>
>>87702663
>You don't date staff.

[citation needed]

>Alternatively, you don't make your girlfriend a major voice lead.

[citation needed]
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.