[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>comic book >calls it a "graphic novel"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: no.jpg (50KB, 322x318px) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
50KB, 322x318px
>comic book
>calls it a "graphic novel"
>>
I don't understand the knee-jerk revulsion that a lot of people, even within the world of comics, seem to have towards the phrase "graphic novel." I think it's just a way to describe a certain publishing format when it comes to comics.

A "floppy," for example usually describes 24-30 pages of a monthly or bi-monthly comic periodical. A "trade paperback" usually describes a published paperback collection of floppies. An "omnibus" is usually a larger, hard-cover collection of a completed comic floppy run. A "graphic novel" is a self-contained story that is about as long as a novel, but with illustrated pictures and words being told in sequences instead of printed words.

I think the problem is that there are a variety of publishing formats (strip, floppy, TPB, omnibus, magazine, pamphlet, anthology, "graphic novel," webcomic, etc), for distributing works from the medium of panels illustrated in sequence to tell a cohesive story that are all lumped under the label "comic books," and there's some preconceived notions and stigmas surrounding comics in general, so the phrase "graphic novel" is seen as trying to legitimize comics or make it seem more respectable or more sophisticated than it is. But I don't see it that way.
>>
>>87678973
Seriously. Terms used to identify a publication are are a means to an end. People who lose their shit over the term "graphic novel" are more pretentious than the authors who use the term.
>>
>>87678973
>Watchmen
>Black Hole
>Maus

All critically acclaimed "graphic novels" that started as floppies or serials.
>>
>>87678595
It's a visual novel, plebeian.
>>
>>87678595
>Meg and Mog img
>bitching about how faggot authors define their shit
wow what a fag
>>
>>87678973
Correct.

>>87679042
Incorrect. None of those are graphic novels.

Maus you might be able to get away with in most circumstances, but if I ever met you in person, we would sit down for a nice chat over tea and I would calmly convince you that collections of serials still don't count as graphic novels.
>>
>>87679148
You don't have to convince me of anything, because I don't call comic books graphic novels. I'm not ashamed of reading comics and I don't need to make myself sound more "cultured" by using made up words.

>>87679123
What?
>>
>>87679310
>I'm not ashamed of reading comics and I don't need to make myself sound more "cultured" by using made up words.
We are also not ashamed. We are also not trying to make ourselves sound more "cultured".

Do not bother participating in this discussion if you refuse to accept this. There is no point in having a discussion where you assume that we are lying with every post.

Do not bother participating in this discussion unless you want to apologize for accusing us of being ashamed of reading comics. There is no point in having a discussion if your goal is to attack us and treat us like your enemy.

We use "graphic novel" the same way that we use "trade paperback" and "floppy", as a means of referring to the format of publication. Since you use those terms as well, you are no different than us.
>>
File: 1474751889181.jpg (10KB, 250x226px) Image search: [Google]
1474751889181.jpg
10KB, 250x226px
>tfw too intelligent to care if people call comics graphic novels
>>
>>87679480
Hey, I actually agree with that
You win this round, Mutant!
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.