[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else surprised with how good Gerard Way's Doom Patrol

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: DC-Young-Animal-Doom-Patrol.jpg (181KB, 779x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DC-Young-Animal-Doom-Patrol.jpg
181KB, 779x1200px
Anyone else surprised with how good Gerard Way's Doom Patrol is? I especially like his approach, that everything in their history is canon. Though, I'm not sure how that means that the Chief is alive. But then again, hasn't he died several times anyway?

Only thing that really sticks out is that it's stepped away from the darkness that was in Morrison's run. I think everyone misses that about what he did, that just around the edges of the weirdness and the warm, loving family approach, it was actually a pretty damn dark book. This seems to be a step much further into the light.
>>
>>87670293

Bump
>>
>>87670293
When are we going to see the cat dude? He seems cool.
>>
>>87670293
I haven't read any Doom Patrol before this (I want to, though) so I can't comment on how it compares to other runs in terms of tone and everything, but I think it's a really great book, and I'm not surprised by that. Umbrella Academy was rad, too.
>>
>>87671800
That's Lotion, I think.
>>
>>87671847
Shit, I hadn't thought of that
>>
Considering the next issue has them grinding Cabaret members for burger meat, I'm sure it can get pretty dark still.
>>
>>87670293
Is any of the Morrison run referenced?
>>
>>87673116

Yup. Latest issue takes place almost entirely on Danny the Street where the main character is guided by Flex Mentallo to an It's a Small World style ride that's filled with references to Morrison's run, including the Brotherhood of Dada.
>>
File: 1478721332938_1__1.jpg (273KB, 1457x478px) Image search: [Google]
1478721332938_1__1.jpg
273KB, 1457x478px
This part of issue 3 was golden.
>>
>>87670293
its not good

its been 100% nostalgia wank with no plot so far

>>87673116

its extremely referential and derivative to morrison's run. to the point you have to wonder why doesnt just morrison write it
>>
>>87670293
I've got to agree with you OP, this series (Young Animal in general, really) is pretty much the pleasant surprise of the year for me.

Gerard Way knows how to make his story embrace being a comic with the continuity, references, and storytelling style more than I've seen from anyone at the big 2 since Morrison stopped regularly writing for them.There's just a lot more to these issues than there is most other stuff coming out, and they're genuinely fun to read.

First time in a while I'm this excited to buy floppies. I wonder if Morrison has said anything about how he thinks Way is doing so far.
>>
>>87673556
its really not 100% nostalgia wank

either way, the characters have a presence that you cant just emulate, you have to be AT LEAST somewhat good

also, nick derington is a monster
>>
File: Crmef_3VIAAvNGn.jpg (224KB, 1031x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Crmef_3VIAAvNGn.jpg
224KB, 1031x1200px
>>87674942
>nick derington

the guys a beast

at least DP is giving him a chance to show off
>>
I think Shade, the Changing Girl being incredible is more of a surprise

the author hasn't made anything besides Geek Girl stuff before
>>
>>87675105
I'd keep up with this book for the art alone even if the story wasn't a blast.
>>
>>87673173
I missed the Brotherhood of Dada so much.
>>
>>87670293

I'll admit I was convinced nobody except Grant Morrison could ever write Doom Patrol and have it be good and Gerard Way's run has made me change my mind.
>>
>>87675835
I liked the classic Doom Patrol.
>>
>>87670293
I like it but at the same time I think its stepping too close in Morrison's shoes instead of doing its own thing.

>>87675835
What was wrong with Giffen's run?
>>
I'm surprised it hasn't been a Morrison clone so far, though issue 3 ended up EXTREMELY Morrison, so we'll see how it is going forward, I think it's too early to tell how it'll rate. Assuming it lasts more than 12 issues.

As for the Chief, it's not really clear exactly what level of connection to the current DCU this has, if any. In the current DCU you had Caulder back to his original Silver Age self, with the Silver Age lineup plus Element Woman.
>>
>>87675835
>I'll admit I was convinced nobody except Grant Morrison could ever write Doom Patrol and have it be good
You were already proven wrong by Arnold Drake. You know? The co-creator of the team?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.