[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know a lot of people hated this movie, but why? I thought it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: superman returns.jpg (201KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
superman returns.jpg
201KB, 1280x1024px
I know a lot of people hated this movie, but why? I thought it was a decent watch with some classic Superman saving scenes. I think the airplane scene is still great.
>>
>>87501943
The airplane scene is the only good part of the movie. Thats the problem. Everything else is slow going and just dull. Routh is a lousy Superman and clearly was only cast because of his resemblance to Reeve. Worst Lois casting, shit costume, non-sensical Lex plan, awful subplot about Superman's son, etc… Just an over-indulgent ode to Donner-era Superman, which is not only poorly handled but misguided as it represents no evolution for the character in a 21st Century context.
>>
>>87501943
I really liked it. Spacey could have been the perfect Luthor, but they went for the Hackman homage. I think this film's greatest flaw is its lack of an original tone in favour of paying homage to the classic movies.
>>
>>87502231
Homage? It was supposed to be a direct sequel to Superman II rather than a reboot. Of course it follows the same tone. It isn't trying to be like them, it is a continuation of the story being told. People didn't like it because it wasn't a reboot. Don't listen to anyone who says they hate reboots...they fucking love them....if they didn't, reboots wouldn't sell.
>>
>>87501943
Mostly Snyderfags. Honestly, the main downside is that it's the worst thing a superhero movie can be: boring. The airplane scene is great because it's actually exciting.
>>
>>87501943
It reused the plot from the first movie, turned Superman into a deadbeat dad, and the big climax was Supes vs a rock. Routh was an excellent Superman though, so it wasn't all bad.
>>
>>87507650
>Mostly Snyderfags.
People hated Superman Returns long before Man of Steel.
>>
>>87502165
train scene > plane scene
>>
>>87502165
>evolution for the character in a 21st Century context

I wanted the reboot to do that but Snyder dropped the ball so hard.
>>
File: e 2 reeve.png (692KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
e 2 reeve.png
692KB, 1024x768px
>>87501943
It just couldn't live up to the hype. Superman II is considered such a masterpiece that Superman Returns just being okay felt like a huge letdown.
>>
>Supes having a kid outta wedlock
Bullshit!
>>
>>87501943
This movie is Liftman Returns. All he does is lift things and spy on Lois like a stalker. Then there was Lex's bullshit.

>"I'll have weapons thousands of years more advanced than anything else!"
>him and his gang are just hanging out in a barren cave
>the only weapon from the kyrpton shit anyone has is that green shiv Lex broke off a piece of rock

If even a basic police SWAT team was sent in instead of Supes then Lex and his gang would have been dead, and they most likely would have hand a special forces team like Seals or Green Beret or whatever shooting up their place instead. What was the guy's plan here? Apparently he wanted to get rich or have some kind of power over people by selling his new land to them. But why would they buy that shit from him if his gang was so under armed? How the hell would they even survive there, it doesn't seem like anything could grow there.

Also don't forget how this movie implied Lex fucked the hell out of a senior citizen.

>>87507715
>the big climax was Supes vs a rock

That "rock" was even his weakness that kills him if he gets near it and he still lifted a mountain of the shit into space while a piece of that rock inside him.

I went to go see this movie in theaters, I wanted it to be good. But damn was it disappointing.
>>
>>87501943

It's more than a decent watch. I saw the midnight opening in a crowded theater and people cheered and stood up at all the right moments and found it enjoyable. The only time I felt uncomfortable at all in the theater, personally, was during the Krypton Island scenes, since all the physical violence was very hand to hand and against Clark. And that's mostly a personal issue, the people I went with, afterwards, either voiced that they thought it was fine/good/etc. or voice minor issues. For example, we nearly all thought Lois was mis-cast. Nothing really that wrong with her performance, just the wrong actress and her age and mannerisms, etc.

In re-watching is where I find myself having more concerns but what I enjoyed and what was excellent remains so. The problems vary from the amnesia kiss (which is an issue they picked up from Donnerverse) which makes him a deadbeat dad (which I don't think is the actual case, it just has that effect), to what they probably didn't realize would come across as stalkerish behavior.

I also would have preferred a secondary villain beyond Luther (and it not being so easy to get inside the Fortress, negating the entire Space Island real estate plot) and thus providing us with more of an action paced set-piece beyond all that stuff. I can re-watch everything up to the boat stuff and enjoy it, I just never watch all the way past that.
>>
Too much Christian imagery and it turned Superman into a rapist, creepy stalker and deadbeat dad.
>>
>>87502165
>shit costume

The costume was fine. Better than Cavill's costume.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.