[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Edgy Indie Capes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 10

File: image.jpg (296KB, 627x923px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
296KB, 627x923px
Why is it whenever someone writes indie capes it has to be edgy grimdark trash?
>My cape comic is different from Marvel and DC! My cape comic has blood, gore, boobies, rape, swearing, killing, torture, and edge!
Don't we get enough of that from the Big2 already?

I'm tired of seeing 'What if NOTSuperman was evil' #136786 or hipster trying to copy/steal Watchmen.

It just seems so lazy. Why can't we see some originality from superhero stories? Why does it always come back to being edgy and gritty as possible? Where's the Zot?
>>
>>87487619
Sometimes you can actually get a good indie cape book without edgy grimdark. Those books sound more like something you'd enjoy.
>>
File: Huck_03-1.png (230KB, 585x900px) Image search: [Google]
Huck_03-1.png
230KB, 585x900px
>>87487619
I kinda like Huck, its not you typical Millar edgefest.
>>
>>87487619
I blame Alan Moore and Frank Miller. They ruined cape comics by making them edgy.
>>
>>87487817
I wouldn't say that. They made comics to be more than just happy go lucky children's story.

It's that these indie cucks aren't as good as them
>>
>>87487813
I like this bit from an interview with Millar about Huck.
http://friedpiecomics.com/post/145726223963/interview-with-mark-millar-of-huck-huck-comes-from

>Huck feels like a super-hero comic that we read as kids but haven’t seen in a long time, was this book a reaction to what you were reading or even with what you’ve written in the past, specifically the darker super-hero stuff?
>Yeah, totally. Everything’s cyclical. After bright, happy superheroes it was actually really interesting to see a darker take on them, but I think Superman snapping General Zod’s neck was essentially the apex of that particular idea and it’s just cooler and more timely to go light at the moment. As a reader or a movie-goer I’m looking for something that makes me feel good right now so that’s basically what I’ve been writing. Huck is pure liquid happiness in comic-book form.
>>
>>87487619
Remember that if you got any complaints about Batman, you can always watch Kamen Riders, who actually save people and kill their BBEGs, or Ultramen, who fight and kill illegal aliens.
>>
>>87487619
>I'm triggered by blood so I dismiss everything more violent that MLP by calling it edgy
>>
>>87487817
Beats silver Age "look how crazy this is" or bronze age "totally hitting the big social commentary with this one"
>>
>>87487940
Why can't we have Fun Superheroes who do not kill or torture people?
>>
>>87487813
You got good taste anon.
Huck is like Forest Gump meet Superman. And it was released when Superman was at it shittiest, making it more enjoyable.
>>
jack staff while not totally original (it started out as a pitch for a union jack comic and features pastiches of marvel characters with some big changes made to differentiate them from the original versions) is a really fun indie superhero comic.
>>
>>87488147
>And it was released when Superman was at it shitties
Now?
>>
Damn, why'd they kill the maid?
>>
>>87487817
Alan Moore wasn't that edgy when working in mainstream comics.
>>
File: bandette.jpg (32KB, 312x456px) Image search: [Google]
bandette.jpg
32KB, 312x456px
>>87488139
Because Capeshit is written like the Comic Code still matters, so whenever they are supposed to go edgy, they just copypast everything that was forbidden by it into the story.

Also
>Fun
>enjoyment
Not required if you're selling through Diamond. There's always Bandette, you should probably support it with dollars, if you still hold fast to the believe that you buying stuff matters in any way.
>>
Read anything by Chris Roberson, you filthy casual.
>>
This is generally why I avoid third party books. I mean, every other indie book I try to pick up gets a sudden case of "LOOK HOW BRUTAL THIS DEATH IS!" I know people keep shitting on me for sticking with the Big Two, but I at least don't get shown these brutal shock value crap all the time.
>>
>>87488185
No. When we got the whole Truth shit and Savage Dawn. When Superman was a dick fan of MMA, when he was betting cop and fucking wonderwoman.

Huck really fell good because there is none of that. And the art is really good too.
>>
>>87487935
this comes across as a bit hypocritical, not intending do shit on huck as its very good but Millar is one of the most edgy and cynical writers around.
>>
>>87487890
>They made comics to be more than just happy go lucky children's story.

Superhero comics haven't primarily been happy go lucky children's stories since the Silver Age, and even then there were still superhero comics published that didn't have that kind of tone at all.
>>
I agree with you to a point. A lot of these types of comics go to far in the other direction. Like the son in that story has no issue with his mom and dad being murdered and no one else bats an eye? Are there any that play a good middle ground? Invincible comes to mind but that's it really.
>>
I like gore but not stuff that takes itself too seriously.
>>
File: 640.jpg (48KB, 640x317px) Image search: [Google]
640.jpg
48KB, 640x317px
>>87487813
That looks just like his character Billy in American Vampire vol6.
>>
>>87488379
Except when it come to Superman.
>>
File: deathofthfamily.jpg (113KB, 1900x900px) Image search: [Google]
deathofthfamily.jpg
113KB, 1900x900px
Okay but it's not like Marvel and DC are any less edgy.
>>
>>87488198
What comic is this from?
>>
>>87488379
I think that's the point though. He rode the edge train, and it's time to give it a rest.
>>
>>87487813

Stardust was good as well. In fact I liked it a lot more.
>>
>>87488548
I have no idea. Maybe one of those Jupiter books because of the Quitely art.

I was just making an assumption based on that pin cushion's apron.
>>
File: 1444807341079.png (181KB, 519x390px) Image search: [Google]
1444807341079.png
181KB, 519x390px
Is there a more meaningless buzzword than 'edgy'?

Seriously, it's become even more abused than 'contrarian' at this point.
>>
>>87487619
I can't fucking wait for Brandon and Walter to get what's coming to them.
>>
>>87488661
"SJW"
>>
>>87488661
fuck off contrarian
>>
>>87488661

buzzword
>>
>>87488661
How apt that you use a picture of Alan "Old Man Yelling At Clouds" Moore as you post.
>>
>>87488661
I know edgy gets used a lot, but if we're talking about brutality for brutality's sake, then "edgy" is more than apt.
>>
You disappoint me, /co/.
>>
>>87488870
And also apt, considering that he has gone on the record as saying this:

>If comics could not address adult matters...then they could never progress to become a serious and accepted artistic medium.

>>87488963
I'm not going to deny that there are comic creators who take violence and brutality too far, or use it in an over-the-top or tasteless way, but there are some people on this board who seem to be unable to handle graphic content in comics at all.
>>
>>87488534
Then why do indie capes have to be edgy like them? Just because the Big 2 does it all the time doesn't mean the indie scene has to do it all the time too.

Why can't they do anything different?

Why have a supervillain who rapes and kills?

Why have a supervillain that makes siblings have sex then rigs the sister's vagina with a bomb?

Why can't we have villain that just wants to steal all the diamonds in a city and turn them into jelly beans?

Why can't we have cape comics like that? :(
>>
>>87488236
Bandette is not capeshit though, she's a thief, not a superhero.
>>
Astro City
Zot
Moore's Supreme
Madman

All 100% good non-Big Two superhero comics, all 0% edgy.
>>
>>87489129
We're waiting for you to write the Great Jelly Diamond Caper.
>>
>>87489138
Pretty much all Superheros are criminals, terrorists or both. Some even are racists who have formed militas with enough firepower to level a state.
>>
>>87488214
The Killing Joke

Aka, one of the most problematic comics of all time.
>>
>>87489350
What the hell
>>
>>87489129
>Why can't they do anything different?
>porceeds to ask for standard golden age silliness

You don't want anything original, you wand overused cliches, just the ones from a few decades ago
>>
>>87489129
Capes are for children. Insecure writers try to deny their childish roots by inserting gratuitous edginess, and insecure readers just gobble that shit down.

Why do you care so much about capes anyway? Go read some non-cape indie comics. You'll find a much wider variety of target demographic age ranges there.
>>
>>87489129
You should look into all ages books, like Paul Pope's Battling Boy or Zita The Spacegirl.
>>
>>87488661
They are called COMIC Books, NOT DRAMA Books.....

Comics should be a place you want to escape to, not from......
>>
>>87487813
Reading this now, thanks anon.
>>
>>87489619
So we should just limit the medium to a stupid degree just for semantic's sake?

>>87488661
It's not a buzzword. People very clearly use it to mean things along the line of "Dark for the sake of darkness" and "overly grim and gruesome to a degree that hinders the piece".
>>
>>87488661
"epic"
>>
>>87490126
This. Epic is a buzzword. Edgy isn't, it's a word that gets used a lot but it has a clear meaning. Epic has been reduced to "cool" or "nice" levels of generic.
>>
>>87487619
I bet the "originality" you want is a back to basics from the Silver or Golden Age, right graۭndpa?
>>
>>87489350
Hey senator kelly
>>
>>87489619
Who are you to decide what I like to read to "escape to"?
>>
>>87489392
Never read any X-men? They and the brotherhood basically are two racist militas who're in disagreement over how fast they should be replacing baseline humanity.
>>
>>87489369
>More problematic than
>"I don't like that Mrs. Marvel-character, so all the Avengers will congratulate her on having found happiness in being forevermore raped by her son, who's actually the incarnation of some cosmic evil that impregnated her with itself first."
>>
>>87489619
>>87489129

Why won't you kill yourself already, squirrelfag? Seriously, the loss of you would never affect anyone in a negative way. Your parents probably didn't even want you. Be a humanitarian, help everyone by dying.
>>
>>87488661
What are you talking about, it still has cachet. If anything it mocks the original intent, which was a marketing buzzword from the early 90s.
>>
>>87487619
because anything else would be SJW garbage
>>
>>87487619
>why can't we see some originality from superhero stories

because the capeshit trope that we're used to is a holdover from ww2 era and cold war culture.

making a thread complaining about how some capeshit isn't vanilla bullshit where the good guys always win is indicative of lack of emotional growth and having no literary standards

if you count x-men as capeshit, Age of Apocalypse and Uncanny X-Force were grimdark with storytelling context and it turned out fucking amazing.

>don't we get enough of that from the big2 already
enough what? blood gore boobies rape swearing killing torture and edge? well what are you complaining about? the fact that you've seen it specifically with other publishers? you're trash if you're singling out particular publishers for something the popular publishers do. you're all over the place.

>>87489369
>character development is problematic
>problematic

maybe it's time to move on to more complicated, in-depth stories, anon
>>
File: 1418485962225.jpg (1MB, 1454x2060px) Image search: [Google]
1418485962225.jpg
1MB, 1454x2060px
>>87489775
>"Dark for the sake of darkness" and "overly grim and gruesome to a degree that hinders the piece".

That's what it's SUPPOSED to mean. But, for example, I've seen someone call this cover "edgy" because it featured a character holding a blade with a spot of blood on it.

Also:

>to a degree that hinders the piece

That is entirely subjective. Different people have different thresholds of tolerance when it comes to violence. Some people are able to tolerate blood, gore or suggestive themes in comics without blinking, and there are people like >>87489129 who whine if it's not optimistic, light-hearted and fun-for-the-whole-family wholesomeness.

But I don't think that there are certain subjects, themes or tones that should be completely off-limits, no matter how unpalatable they may seem.
>>
>>87487817
alan moore did not make 90s comics what they were. you can't blame alan moore for what image did or what's going on right now.

stop talking shit about alan moore, it's a non sequitur when you make empty claims without proof or evidence
>>
>>87490126
I haven't seen "epic" used unironically in like 7 years.
>>
>>87490371
>two racist militias

one is racist, the other is not
>>
>>87490607
Moore did do edgy Image books too, though. Spawn, Violator.
>>
>>87487817
Alan Moore wrote the Supermanliest Superman in the 90s.
>>
>>87490665
todd mcfarlane created spawn.

i think you're baiting
>>
>>87487619
I read Jupiter's Circle before I did Legacy so this fucked me up a lot, and I fucking hate Brainwave when is he going to die?
>>
>>87490580
>Age of Apocalypse
>amazing
What was so amazing about it? It's Old Man Logan-tier tripe. I agree that UXF is pretty damn good though.

Also
>taking squirrelfag's shitposts seriously
Just report, maybe mods will wake up. He's been making the exact same shitposts for a couple of years, I think.
>>
>>87490607
that's not what "non sequitur" means, you dingus
>>
>>87488270
>playing sports is against Superman's morals
No wonder he's know for the most autistic fan base.
>>
>>87488970
Astro City is already required reading.
>>
>>87488970
Is Astro City worth reading at all? I heard it was boring but one of the few comic series that don't bend over for minorities or an agenda with a good major all white cast?
>>
>>87487813
Huck was fucking shit and the ending was bad.
>>
File: grinchgrin.jpg (188KB, 800x608px) Image search: [Google]
grinchgrin.jpg
188KB, 800x608px
>>87490698
UXF wouldn't have been as good without AoA as context. this is what many people including bendis refuse to understand about dark beast
>>
File: 441671.jpg (57KB, 307x475px) Image search: [Google]
441671.jpg
57KB, 307x475px
>>87490687
Fucking casual
>>
>>87490889
>muh crossover

>therefore alan moore is responsible for edgy shit in the 90s

so you ARE baiting
>>
>>87490914
I didn't say he was responsible.
He was slightly involved with the edgy Image stuff.
>>
>>87490789
There are plenty of minorities in it. It's just that there's not a ton of attention called to the fact that they're minorities.

That said, it's not boring. It's also not very action-packed. It's more of an examination of what a Silver Age-flavored world would be from different viewpoints, civilians as well as heroes and villains. For example, one or two issues focuses on a member of the FF homage who decides to run away from home to go to 'real' school and learn things that normal kids learn, like how to play hopscotch. Another focuses on a kid who gets accepted as a sidekick to a Batman-style superhero, and his focus on discovering who his mentor really is.
>>
>>87488722
Also "cuck".
>>
>>87490789
>I heard it was boring
You heard wrong. I bet you think it's boring because it has house style art and the characters don't look like they were pulled out of an anime.
>but one of the few comic series that don't bend over for minorities or an agenda with a good major all white cast
Depends on what you mean by that, if you're an easily triggered /pol/tard then it's not for you.
>>
>>87490789
>an agenda with a good major all white cast?
Lol
>>
>>87490974
oh wow that's quite an indictment, Loeretta Lynch
>>
>>87490789
>I hear that this comic is boring but I want to support it because it's entirely white people
>>>/pol/
>>
>>87487817

To be fair, Moore was trying to poke fun at the fact that things were getting bleaker in comics.

The problem is that nobody got the joke.
>>
>>87491052
He was also trying for some political allegory with V for Vendetta, which flopped because no one in America gives a shit about Margaret Thatcher and her 1980s politics.
>>
>>87487813
Just finished reading, thank you anon
>>
>>87490657
>one is racist, the other is not
Anon, non-racist militas don't go: "Hold on, why are you with us again? You aren't actually of our kind."

They also really couldn't keep the revolving-door-policy towards each other up if they had actual fundamental disagreements.
>>
>>87487619
Read something other than Millar you pleb
>>
>>87488548
Jupiter's Legacy 1. This death is fucked up. The chick's been genjutsu'd into thinking she's beating that old guy's ass, and protecting her daughter from him and a team of supers that want to kill them. The old guy's all "this is just a fictional account of the event that's actually happening outside your mind. I'll release you now so you can see how things are REALLY going for you."...and then you have op's panel.
>>
>>87491124
Well it originally ran in the UK
>>
>>87487813
Why is it Millar can only makes comics that are either an edgefest or a bland movie pitch?
>>
>>87490657
You're using the word "is" where you mean "was".
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.