/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone explain this character's history?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: JeanGreyPhoenix.png (78KB, 300x454px) Image search: [Google]
JeanGreyPhoenix.png
78KB, 300x454px
How many times has she died? how many times has she turned evil? there was an alternate universe version of her on Earth for a while?
>>
>>87476995
>Can anyone explain this character's history?
To summarize: JEEEEEEAAAAANNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!?!?!??!?!!!!!!!!

>How many times has she died?
I wanna say it was 4, but first time was a ruse, as was the second.
>how many times has she turned evil?
Two or three times depending on who you ask. I like two.
>there was an alternate universe version of her on Earth for a while?
AoA Jean came to visit a few years ago, but it was very brief.
There's probably another example, but I can't recall it at the moment.
Currently, her younger self is running around and is a sadistic piece of work. Very in-character
>>
>>87476995

she died two times, once in the 80s, at the end of the dark phoenix saga, and the second time, when she was killed at the end of Morrison's run by Xorn-Magneto, like in 2004.

The first time she was meant to be dead forever, but a few years later Busiek, who was a fanboy of 60s xmen and hated having Jean dead, became a Marvel writer, and retconned her death into being the death of a perfect clone with all her memories created by the Phoenix, while the real Jean was in a coccoon in the ocean around Jamaica. The coccoon was found by the Avengers.

She has been death since the end of Morrison's run around 2004. The current Jean is young Jean Gray brought from the past by Beast along with all the original x-men from the 60s.

she became evil in the dark phoenix saga. it isnt clear if becoming evil was unavoidable, or if she became evil only because of being corrupted by the mind manipulation of Mastermind.
>>
>>87476995
Her story's not terribly confusing. She's an X-Man until a mission in space causes her to tap itno a great power. She's presumed dead but rises from the water as the Phoenix. Over a long period of time she's slowly manipulated mentally by Mastermind into falling in love with him and becoming the Black Queen of the Hellfire Club, however she's driven insane and power mad which causes her to fly off into space, "eat" a star and then eventually kill herself to atone for her crimes. The entire Phoenix/Dark Phoenix stuff plays out over like 4 years real time in the comic; it's a very long, very slowly builty story.

Then it turns out that wasn't the real Jean at all. The real Jean had been lying in a cocoon under Jamaica Bay and the Jean of the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix Saga was the Phoenix Force itself assuming her likeness. Jean is revived from her stasis and joins X-Factor, eventually marries Scott, has adventures with the X-Men, etc. She never actually gets the Phoenix Force until late in the '90s (Rachel Summers, her daughter from an alternate universe, had it for like the previous 10-15 years). Her marriage with Scott dissolves and at the end of the Planet X story arc in Morrison's New X-Men, she's killed and canonically that's the first and only time she's died; she's stayed dead for 12 years now and is essentially one with the Phoenix Force at this point.
>>
>>87477400>>87477400
>She has been death since the end of Morrison's run around 2004.
She was back for a couple issues in Endsong.
>>
>>87477404
>first and only time she's died
Endsong.
Wish I'd refreshed.
>>
File: 1476685604260.jpg (503KB, 834x1534px) Image search: [Google]
1476685604260.jpg
503KB, 834x1534px
>>
>>87479779
Real smooth, Cyclops.
>>
>>87479898

That's an edit
>>
>>87479939
if thats the case then he's a strong man then I
>>
>>87476995
>How many times has she died?
Once
>how many times has she turned evil?
Once
>>
>>87479939
Yes, but where does the edit part come from?
>>
File: jean iceman 1.jpg (262KB, 900x1367px) Image search: [Google]
jean iceman 1.jpg
262KB, 900x1367px
>>87477098
>Very in-character
You damn right.
>>
File: jean iceman 2.jpg (277KB, 1049x1600px) Image search: [Google]
jean iceman 2.jpg
277KB, 1049x1600px
>>87482105
>>
>>87481710
How many identical sisters, displaced timeline versions, clones, and imaginary versions of her are there or have there been?
>>
File: jean iceman 3.jpg (271KB, 1400x1086px) Image search: [Google]
jean iceman 3.jpg
271KB, 1400x1086px
>>87482113
>>
>>87482118
I'm probably wrong but right now there is only one Jean Grey, the one from the 60's brought to the future. Also, we should add Madelyne Pryor, a clone, that I think is still alive and another alternative version of Madelyne Pryor. So, just three as of right now.
>>
>>87479779
I love that edit.
>>
>>87482105
>>87482113
>>87482123
Is this an edit? Please tell me this didn't happen.
>>
File: jean iceman 4.png (498KB, 640x650px) Image search: [Google]
jean iceman 4.png
498KB, 640x650px
>>87482260
Oh, it happened. It's just all of the subtext is implied. Here's the unedited 4th page.
>>
>>87482336
That's fucked up, fampai.
>>
>>87482336
oh god...that's just as bad
>>
So why does the Phoenix Force keep choosing her, and not someone like Frankiln? Why Jean all the time?
>>
>>87482113
>>87482123
>>87482336
What the hell? Jean?
Can someone please explain?
>>
>>87482105
>>87482113
>>87482123
What the fuck is going on here?

This is at least supposed to be evil as fuck right? They're not trying to portray this as how he really is right?

What the FUCK is going on here?
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (221KB, 497x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
221KB, 497x3000px
>>87484651

The run begins with Jean beginning this downhill slide into mind-controlling villainy. This is a sequence from issue 8 of that series. For her to end up doing something like that to Bobby at the end is just the culmination of that character arc.
>>
>>87487132
So why's she going crazy-evil exactly?
>>
>>87476995
>One of the most popular characters on her book
>Get killed off
>Fans get pissed
>Writers try to relight the fire and bring her back in various stupid ways (Alternate versions and different incarnations)
>Doesn't work
>Writers fuck around and create a cluster fuck of silly shit that sometimes ended up being cool(Like X-man and Cable)
>Jean never comes back
>>
>>87484146
Oh I didn't know Franklin was a powerful telepath.
>>
The question is, how many JEEEEAAAAAN rip offs were there.

I got 2 so far. Rachael Summers and Hope Summers.
>>
>>87487208
You don't need to be a telepath to host the Phoenix.

Also, the reason it keeps choosing Jean is because at some point she and it will have become inexorably linked. That ripples backwards through time and iterations/fragments of the Phoenix that aren't with Jean in the White Hot Room at the end of things can't get over their desire to be with Jean's in the past.

It's weird, but also cool.
>>
>>87487343
>forgetting the OGJean ripoff.
Maddie Prior

Get outta here kiddo.
>>
>>87487178

It's not anything in particular; just being a frustrated juvenile with the power of god over everyone's mind and no moral guidance.

These X-Men were snatched out of history during the events of Uncanny X-Men #8; way, way back near the very beginning of the series. They had literally known Professor Xavier for a few weeks at that point. None of his ethics were ever passed on to Jean before she was brought to the future.

This is just who Jean would naturally tend to be without that moral guidance.
>>
>>87487433
The Shi'ar were right.
>>
>>87487477

Well, I'm sure they've been through it with this sort of thing before. They have telepaths in their imperium. I'm sure they know the signs when they see it.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.