[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fill me in on the last decade or so of X-Men continuity.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 16

File: cyclops-mv2.jpg (92KB, 450x900px) Image search: [Google]
cyclops-mv2.jpg
92KB, 450x900px
Fill me in on the last decade or so of X-Men continuity.
>>
File: Facts.png (227KB, 820x480px) Image search: [Google]
Facts.png
227KB, 820x480px
>>87462810
>>
It doesn't matter.

None of it matters.
>>
A whole lot of nothing until Beast brought back the original five and then it became a clusterfuck.

But go read Jason Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men, Si Spurrier's Legacy and Remender's X-Force. They're great.
>>
File: 1376434795355.jpg (267KB, 1600x424px) Image search: [Google]
1376434795355.jpg
267KB, 1600x424px
>>87462810
Oh boy. So.
The X-Men really stepped up their whole school angle for a while.
And Xavier turned out to be more and more of a terrible human being, so they ditched him and basically Cyke was in charge.
But then Scarlet Witch went insane because she was possessed or something and tried to erase all mutants from the planet. She didn't really succede completely but mutants were down to a couple of hundreds and new ones couldn't be born anymore.
This basically was a signal to all your mutant hate groups to finally finish off the mutant race and shit became really dark really fast.
A new mutant girl was born and thinking she must be some kind of messianic figure that would solve this whole mess, the X-Men and Sinister tried to obtain her. X-Men won in the end, but Bishop sort of went insane and blamed his terrible future on her and also the X-mansion got blown up, so Cable took her to the future to raise her and keep her safe.
The X-Men built a new base in San Francisco, but because Norman Osborn was in charge of the Avengers at the time, they had to ditch that base for an island made of asteroid M they put a few miles off of the bay of San Francisco.
Meanwhile Cyclops established a new X-Force which was basically a mutant hit-squad ment to comabt all the terrorist mutant hate groups that were trying to kill them.
Eventually Cable and the messiah kid called Hope came back from the future when she was a teenager.
Cont.
>>
>>87463183
I did like WatXM, but after AvX it had a tremendous drop in quality. I don't think I'll ever finish it.
>>
File: 1355662019.jpg (219KB, 1106x525px) Image search: [Google]
1355662019.jpg
219KB, 1106x525px
>>87463205
They fought a whole bunch of Sentinels from the future and all those mutant haters and that basically resolved the issue of people trying to actively kill them, but still left the issue of only a couple hundred mutants being around.
So Cyclops professed that he had created a secret hit-squad and that made Beast really angry and also Logan apparently, despite the fact that he was on the team the whole time.
This eventually led to X-Men Hypocrisy - I mean Schism - where Wolverine of all people decided that kids couldn't be kids anymore on their fortified island and just wanted to go back to the school that was utterly blown up before.
There was a dumb fight and finally the X-Men split down the middle into Cyke's camp who wanted to do something about the actual issues they were facing and Wolverine, Rogue, Beast etc who were sitting in their school, pretending everything was fine. Meanwhile Wolverine started his own secret Hit-squad X-Force to ensure things were actually going fine, but when that came to mind nobody minded anymore for some reason.
Meanwhile Hope started running around for Cyclops creating like 5 more boring-ass mutants which didn't help in any way at all.
Some more stuff happened that isn't really relevant. Then AvX happened.
Apparently Hope was attracting the Phoenix force to earth and apparently the Phoenix was destroying planets on its way to earth now for some reason.
Cont.
>>
>>87463205
So which one of the originals is currently, permanently dead?
>>
>>87463356
Wolverine restarted the hit squad before well before Schism.
Also, he became a pseudo-moralfag when he did and thought it was up to him to keep people safe.
Basically, his x-force would make it so kids didn't have to fight like they did in the past.

Cyke was right, but I get where Logan was coming from. He's seen enough kids die and he's just sorta like enough.
>>
>>87463362
Jean, for now.
Warren is back to being in control of Archangel and is cured of his autism.
Arguably, Beast is dead, race traitor he is.
Bobby is alive, and gay.
Scott's status is still up in the air for another two weeks
>>
>>87463453
Scott's dead. Champions #2 confirmed it.

When did Beast die?
>>
File: a.gif (114KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
a.gif
114KB, 800x400px
>>87463356
So basically Cyclops thought this was clearly part of the whole Messiah thing they were waiting for and so he wanted to just wait it out for Hope to get the Phoenix so she could fix the whole issue of mutants dying out.
Meanwhile the Avengers suddenly appointed themselves phoenix force experts and together with Wolverine they wanted to stop the phoenix force somehow.
So Captain America went to Utopia and demanded the X-Men give Hope to them. Cyke told him that wouldn't happen at which point a Helicarrier uncloaked and the entire Avengers roster invaded Utopia to take Hope by force.
She took off on her own during the fight and evaded capture.
Meanwhile the Phoenix was close to earth and so Tony Stark built a phoenix destroyer cannon on the moon to intercept it.
The X-Men teleport to the moon as well and fight them over it, but ultimately the weapon fires at the phoenix when it shows up, splitting it in five instead of destroying it. The 5 pieces take Colossus, Emma Frost, Namor, Illyana and Cyclops as their hosts.
So these newly empowered X-Men then go on to fix most of the worlds problems while also fighting the Avengers... for some reason. The Avengers seem to be intent on fighting a guerilla war against these unstable godlike beings. So eventually more and more of them go insane and CAN'T CONTROL IT, until finally the Phoenix force is down to Cyke and Emma.
Most of the X-Men have finally decided that the Phoenix Five are evil or something and join the fight.
cont
>>
>>87462810
GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY IT'S ALL GONE TO SHIT
>>
>>87463465
depends in which Beast we are talking about, there isnt like 3 or 4?
>>
>>87463362
>>87463453
Also Xavier.
>>
>>87463422
I really wish that they had gone the exact opposite way with Schism, Cyclops would be way more interesting as the one protecting the kids than Logan. They could have explored that the original X-Men were basically child soldiers in Xavier's war.

I think Wolverine not wanting more dead mutant kids is fine, but Cyclops basically trying to stop kids from going down his path would have been way better.
>>
>>87463465
>When did Beast die?
When the fucker sided with the Inhumans. He's dead to us now.
>>
>>87463465
Did you see a body?
Like remember that time Black Bolt died? I like the Havok theory.

Beast died the moment he refused the light of correctitude.
>>
>>87463205
>new ones couldn't be born anymore
>A new mutant girl was born
What.
>>
>>87462861

funny how this meme can completely replace the entire x-men comic books for the entire decade, if anyone is actually thinking about buying just print this and put it on your room.
>>
>>87463477
>The X-Men teleport to the moon as well and fight them over it, but ultimately the weapon fires at the phoenix when it shows up, splitting it in five instead of destroying it. The 5 pieces take Colossus, Emma Frost, Namor, Illyana and Cyclops as their hosts.

This is Stan Lee Silver Age tier contrived nonsense with none of the charm that made it work.
>>
>>87463509
Not anymore: Dark Beast is dead( fuck you Bendis), so only the O5 and the race traitor are left
>>
>>87463542
HAHAHA
>>
>>87463542

Shhhh, just let it happen.
>>
>>87463542
>They called her Hope
>She is the Messiah
And the X-Men should know, they've followed a few
>>
File: Uncanny_X-Men_19_0010.jpg (1MB, 1440x2249px) Image search: [Google]
Uncanny_X-Men_19_0010.jpg
1MB, 1440x2249px
>>87463477
Meanwhile Hope got captured by the Avengers and they find out that apparently Iron Fist knows magic phoenix kung fu now that Hope really needed to learn all this time to control it and so they teach her that.
So in the fight, Emma and Cyke are losing, so Cyke takes out Emma to get the final pieces of the Phoenix force.
He kills Xavier, when he was trying to mindrape him into submission and then goes on a rampage all over the planet with the Avengers continuing the fight against him.
Finally Hope and Scarlet Witch join the fight and together they take down Scott. Hope takes the Phoenix force from him, goes white Phoenix of the crown, but then just destroys the phoenix force itself, fixing the mutant race in the process somehow.
Scott gets arrested and imprisoned. At first he wants to take full responsibility for his actions, but seeing how the prison he was in treats mutants and actively tries to get them killed changes his mind. He breaks out and forms a mutant revolution squad.
Then Scott just kind of pretends to maybe do a revolution or not for ages and their powers got broken by nanosentinels from Dark Beast, but they sort that out.
Also Beast gets so pissed off at Scott he rips the original 5 X-Men from the past to talk Scott out of being super evil and stuff. Plan doesn't change anything and the O5 just sort of stick around because they can't go back in time again for a reason that is never explained.
Basically, nothing happens in X-Men for 3 years.
cont.
>>
>>87463518
Yeah, I liked Schism because of what we got out of it, but they could've done a lot more.

I like your idea, but I feel like that wouldn't have worked with the Cyclops we've had since Decimation.
I think it would've worked best if Logan was like yo, the two of us can kill this sentinel, but send the kids away. Instead he was just super butthurt about Jean's hair or something and was gonna blow the place up.

They should've duked it out after the sentinel was down. Doing it before was a poor reflection on each of them.
>>
File: 9870.jpg (141KB, 400x597px) Image search: [Google]
9870.jpg
141KB, 400x597px
>>87463477
>Namor

I know that Jack Kirby called Namor a mutant in one line of dialogue a million years ago but Marvel really needs to stop trying to force Namor into the X-Men U. It has never worked and never will.

He's the honorable but hot headed warrior king of Atlantis and he wants to fuck Reed Richards' girl. The end.
>>
>you are now aware that there was an arc called Messiah Complex* in X-Man's series

*little x
>>
>>87462810
It is like russian history.
Things get worse.
Think Things can't get any worse.
Things get worse.
Repeat, ad nauseum.

Also this >>87462861
>>
>>87463551
The charm is there if you read MUH PHOENIX, which is the only correct way to read AvX
>>
>>87463626
>"For once and for always--I declare WAR on the human race"

How many times has he declared and undeclared war on the surface world at this point?
>>
File: 1467942178173.jpg (242KB, 940x529px) Image search: [Google]
1467942178173.jpg
242KB, 940x529px
>>87463592
So now Black Bolt put giant gas clouds on the earth to keep the Inhuman species going. Turns out the stuff is lethal to mutants and sterilizes them AGAIN. Whoops.
So Cyclops apparently died from this and then Emma pretended Cyclops was still alive or maybe he lives in her head or something went on to try to blow up? The gas cloud? This made everyone think Scott was literally Hitler. We won't know until this is finally unveiled in Death of X #4 in two weeks or something.
A whole bunch of more nothing happens while X-Men make themselves comfortable in Illyana's personal hell dimension and wait for Inhumans vs X-Men event to happen. Oh and Magneto allied him and his new X-Force with the hellfire club.

That's where we are right now.
>>
>>87463666
The Inhumans just look like such pricks in that picture.

I mean, even ignoring the top panel
>>
>>87463666

How did Black Bolt come back from blowing himself up and ripping a giant asshole in space-time?
>>
>>87463666
Magneto and hellfire club what!? God damn it magneto
>>
File: modern_x-men_rec.png (1007KB, 7211x1035px) Image search: [Google]
modern_x-men_rec.png
1007KB, 7211x1035px
>>87463542
That's how they thought she was the messiah.

>>87463666
Despite the fact that they fucked up the storyline royally from Schism onwards, this era actually has a whole bunch of good to great comics settled around the central storyline, which sadly took a dive. If you want to check some stuff out, take a look at pic related. Open it in a seperate tab, not inline, the image is fucking massive and you can't read shit if you adjust it for screen size.
>>
>>87463592
> THE PASSION OF SCOTT SUMMERS

I forgot how great Gillen's run was.
>>
>>87463695
They look very, very high. Creepy smiles.
Except Karnak, he looks like the one sober guy that has to take care of his stupid drunk friends.
>>
File: x-men 39.jpg (108KB, 500x730px) Image search: [Google]
x-men 39.jpg
108KB, 500x730px
>>87463666

Fuck it all. No retcon will work.

We need a full on new Morrison style run where the intricacies and stupidity of the last decade is ignored and we can move forward with a fresh book based around the core ideas that make X-Men work.

X-Men is desperately in need of a new hungry talent with only a casual knowledge of the modern X franchise who wants to prove themselves.
>>
>>87463704
>How did Black Bolt come back from blowing himself up and ripping a giant asshole in space-time?
The same way Vulcan will.
>>
>>87463592
>they can't go back in time again for a reason that is never explained.
It's worse than that. They could've, they just didn't.
>>
>>87463756
>I am fighting a man with claws
>>
>>87463641
Seconding this.
It is the only coherent, cohesive and enjoyable telling of the tales.
>>
>>87463787
Well they couldn't in BOTA. Which was the absolute last thing of Bendis' and Aaron's nonsense I actually put up with.
>>
>>87463725
>wiki entry on schism
Kek.
>>
>>87463811
Yeah, I think that was when it made it so they couldn't, but I believe they could've in the early few issues.
>>
>>87463725
>>87463836
Please add Deadly Genesis, Rise & Fall, Emperor Vulcan, and War of Kings to Tangential.

Also, wouldn't Dark Angel Saga be post-schism considering they offload Evan after the school is setup and that takes place like right after DAS?
>>
File: Ressuxion.jpg (28KB, 1024x629px) Image search: [Google]
Ressuxion.jpg
28KB, 1024x629px
>>87463666
Cont for the future marvel announced rebirth, i mean ressuxion for the x-men where they will printing 3 x-men solos ( Jean Grey teen, Iceman both teen and adult and Cable), 3 x-team books ( X-men gold, x-men blue and Generation X that will focus on past x-teens) and a Weapon X book that we know nothing about.

Of course this might seems that the x-men won but if you check the O in ressuxion that is black bolt symbol and that what keeping fans speculating that something happens to the mutants race because no new inhuman book has been announce.
>>
>>87463899
So have they given up on the X-Men analogy with all the sympathy that's supposed to garner and are going to use inHumans instead then?
Or is there some higher message that's supposed to be being put across here?

Because this storyline makes no sense in any telling, except from Muh Phoenix's point of view.
>>
>>87463899
I hope to God Cable is getting away from Duggan.
>>
>>87462810

Cyclops was right.
>>
>>87463899
i dont even have a fuckin idea of what is going to happen to x men and inhumans, like plz, these characters need to stop being brats picking fights in other stupid kids
>>
>>87463966

He was, but he was a dick
>>
I don't feel like making a new thread so I'll just ask here: what do you X-fags think aout Cyclops being officially the greatest Marvel villain ever( according to Breevort and Waid)?
What can happen in DoX #4 that will make Scott worse than Hitler, Thanos, Kang and Ultron put together?
>>
>>87463982
He's a mutant, and one of the X-Men.
Of course he is.
They all are.
It's a part of being a mutant.
>>
>>87463998
>according to Breevort
Haha, dows anyone care about what that fat fuck has to say?
>Waid
Lol

>What can happen in DoX #4 that will make Scott worse than Hitler
It's revealed that he faked his death, or Emma faked it for him, and Superior Havok, posing as Cyclops, kills a cloud robbing Inhumans of life.

>>87464053
Lorna isn't a dick, she's just insane.
>>
>>87464061
What right do the Inhumans have to depriving another species of propagation considering they themselves are an artificial species?
>>
>>87464288
...uh
>>
>>87463592
>their powers got broken by nanosentinels from Dark Beast
Where was that explained? I thought their powers were broken from the Phoenix Force.
>>
>>87464374
>Where was that explained?
Bendis's UXM.
>>
>>87464385
It's incredible that I marathoned the entire run only a few months ago (after dropping it monthly because holy shit terrible), and yet I can't remember that for the life of me.
>>
I really don't understand why the whole race complex is still there beyond the old allegorical thing. It just doesn't make sense when you really think about it.

>They're wiping us out, how horrible!
Is one thing, but
>No more of us are being created, how horrible!
Is something else. Why do you want more people stuck with bullshit like
>constant eye lasers
>horrible bird deformities
>being a living nuke in a mask or whatever the fuck Xorn was
>having giant feet
>looking like a literal demon causing people to try to lynch you

Half of Cyclops' entire pathos for the majority of his existence was "boy it sure would be nice to take off my glasses without killing everyone." Why does he want to inflict that on anyone else? Especially when you consider that a whole lot of X-Men story arcs are
Xavier: Cerebro picked up yet another teenager who might accidentally blow up the world. Do me a favor and try to talk him down without blowing up the world.
>>
>>87464497
Right now Cyclops character is more like "boy it sure would be nice to take off my glasses and killing everyone of you ungrateful cunts"
>>
>>87464497
It's really weird but I think people just want them to stay that way, deformities and psychological issues attached. I think some folks self inserted themselves so hard to some of these characters that even trying to "fix" them would hurt those who identify with them. Like they themselves would have to finally see that they have something wrong with themselves and they need to fix themselves but it would be a hell of a lot easier to say nope I was born this way and I am perfect.
>>
>>87463871
>Deadly Genesis, Rise & Fall, Emperor Vulcan, and War of Kings to Tangential.
I was torn on this from the start.
I don't dislike Brubaker's stuff. I even thought Rise and Fall was fine. But many people seem to dislike it and I never felt it was that good to begin with. It's the same reason I only have single issues and the Utopia event from Fraction's run. It's the same reason I don't have Ellis' Astonishing run on there.

Plus it'd be hard to fit an entire additional, unrelated event onto this chart with its own pre-event comics and all. I know I have Age of X on there but that's just one self-contained column.
Moreover I'm not sure I can make that image much wider without running into some sort of 4chan image width restriction.

On the other hand, at least Deadly Genesis is kind of important to X-Men Legacy with Xavier I guess?
Hmm.
I'll have to think about it.
>>
>>87463666
Also, the Red Skull merged Professor X's dead brain with his own brain, and gained his massive telepathic powers as a result.
>>
>>87464883
Right. That.
Somehow I keep forgetting Uncanny Avengers exists and takes place in the same universe.
>>
>>87464780
Just slip it DG and Rise/Fall in under pre-messiah complex, then stick War of Kings under pre-second coming.

I'd say rise/fall and DG are important because Xavier didn't have telepathy, then got it back for Messiah Complex.

Personally, I think the whole Vulcan stuff is great (or rather the stuff surrounding him) has a really nice 80s vibe.
Plus WoK is just proto-IvX .
Obviously, it's your call, but just wanted to chime in. I reread it all yesterday and it was great.

You should keep Age of X 5evar though. Wonderful x-over.
>>
Cyclops spent ten years trying to save a race of back-stabbing hypocrites. He died off camera after doing something "horrible" off camera and people on camera take turns pissing on his grave.
>>
>>87464641
I ship this. X-men/death by punch dimension
>>
>>87463704
>How did Black Bolt come back from blowing himself up and ripping a giant asshole in space-time?
He simply survived it by being strong enough to survive a universe rupturing explosion.
>>
I've started reading through Claremont. How long after him do I stop?

Am I gonna have to skip the '90s like I did with Spider-Man?
>>
>>87465432
I'm in the same boat, and from what I've seen, it transitions to Lobdell shortly after Claremont's forced off. Make of that what you wish.
>>
>>87465432

Claremont fucks his own shit up. If you read through his whole run chances are you'll find when to quit on your own. Mostly like around the Mutant Massacre arc.
>>
>>87465432
Read all of Claremont(so stop when you reach 1991) then start reading Morrison's run. There isn't much worth reading between the two
>>
>>87465432
No, there's some classics from the 90s, but it's definitely not going to be READ IT ALL.

Read Age of Apocalypse if nothing else.
>>
>>87465519
It can't be as big a drop in quality as Stern to Michelinie.
>>
>>87464648
It's actually a pretty common thing among people with deformities. They come to see the deformity as part of their identity and resist attempts to remove it. Deaf people are among the extreme examples, having basically developed their own little culture and now they see hearing implants as a threat.
>>
>>87465698
It shouldn't be THAT bad. Uncanny and Adjectiveless were the consistently best-selling books throughout the 90s and into the early 00s.
>>
File: 1477251885723.jpg (286KB, 520x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1477251885723.jpg
286KB, 520x1920px
>>87463666
So, literally this
Hell, I thought the pic was memeing
>>
File: u70q0BX[2].jpg (16KB, 246x247px) Image search: [Google]
u70q0BX[2].jpg
16KB, 246x247px
>>87463899
>Marvel will actually make the X-men Inhumans
THE MADMEN
>>
>>87465432

Claremont goes until the early 90s, plus you got new mutants and other spin offs. i wouldn't worry about it for awhile honestly.
>>
>>87465805
What if the subvert that shit and turn all the inhumans into backstabbing hypocrites, I mean mutants? If the do, how will Medisa handle playing second fiddle to the real leaders of their new race?
>>
Man Marvel vs Capcom's art is so fucking good.
>>
>>87463936
Why
Cable's best when writen by Duggan
>>
File: 1476811050511.jpg (19KB, 245x229px) Image search: [Google]
1476811050511.jpg
19KB, 245x229px
>>87465805
>Galactus is good
>New Spider-Man with black and red suit
>Carol is Captain Marvel
>Fantastic Four is no more
>Thor is a woman
>Everybody is inhuman
Where were you when Earth-616 became Earth X?
>>
Not OP, but thank you anon for writing up that summary!
>>
>>87466113
Do you actually believe this? Especially after Spurrier's time with Cable?

Duggan's Cable is a boring husk.
>>
File: Mvc2-cable.jpg (87KB, 450x900px) Image search: [Google]
Mvc2-cable.jpg
87KB, 450x900px
>>87466062

the hash marks make me cum.
>>
>>87465805
If anything, they'll just bundle the two together under the X-banner. Preferably, keeping them separate entities, but there's some killer rosters you could dream up.
>>87466005
If there's not a Cyke/Medusa arranged marriage it won't be enough to assuage me.
>>87466117
Reading Infinity.
>>
>>87466477
>If there's not a Cyke/Medusa arranged marriage it won't be enough to assuage me
Shit pairing for an arranged marriage. Kamala/O5 Cyclops is better because they are younger and already work together, so both sides would accept this easily
>>
>>87466617
Kamala isn't a redhead.

>arranging underage marriages with Muslim girls
Well, the caliphate would approve so Inshallah
>>
>>87463526
He died to me when he joined Avengers 40 years ago. Fuck him.
>>
File: 1350616440400.jpg (162KB, 588x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1350616440400.jpg
162KB, 588x1024px
not OP but thanks for the summary
>>87464926
this pisses me off such terrible writing in the mean time Ms.Marvel doing around killing/arresting people for crimes they didnt comit
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.