[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would Marvel be like if someone like Jim Shooter was in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 6

File: JimShooter.jpg (44KB, 543x271px) Image search: [Google]
JimShooter.jpg
44KB, 543x271px
What would Marvel be like if someone like Jim Shooter was in charge again?

Who leaves, stays, or gets fired?
>>
All the shit writers would be replaced with different shit writers with different shitty ideas.
>>
Who's the old fart?
>>
>>87405167
You know what i respect Shooter for? He gives new guys a shot and i'd like for talented writers and artists to be chosen over big names any day of the week.
>>
File: asgard map.jpg (1MB, 1366x2000px) Image search: [Google]
asgard map.jpg
1MB, 1366x2000px
>>87405167
We'd have continuity that wouldn't get fucked in the ass or completely forgotten/ignored every 6 months or whenever a book relaunches (whichever comes first).

Also we might actually get editors who do their job.
>>
>>87405167
He would rip Bendis in half with his bare hands.
>>
>>87405880

Who would be the new Byrne? Bendis or Slott?
>>
Everyone dies, so that Marvel may live.
>>
>>87405167
The trains would run on time, he would try to implement a few shitty ideas but the quality of the books overall would be pretty good
>>
>>87406717
Slott can actually write comics.

So Slott.
>>
>>87405167
Bendis, Aaron and Soule would probably be kicked out. That is un-fucking-debatable. The amount of events would have been cut down to one every two years or so, but the amount of crossovers would dramatically increase.

He'd also probably set something up like a New Universe v2 where new writers would have a chance to start off. I imagine he'd try and get the Micronauts back and perhaps some other IDW properties.
>>
>>87406978

>Bendis, Aaron and Soule would probably be kicked out. That is un-fucking-debatable

i see no reasons why aaron or soule would outside /co/'s personal hateboner towards Thor and Inhumans
>>
>>87405167
Big Shooter would straighten that place out in a heartbeat
>>
>>87405564
He was the man. He put queers like Claremont in their place. Marvel fell apart when Shooter left
>>
>>87405880
this
>>
>>87405880
He already did once before.
>>
>>87407010
This Aaron and Soule have nothing to do with editorial mandate, they're good little soldiers, which Shooter likes and needs
>>
>>87407010
Aaron disregard for continuity is just as bad as Bendis if not more so. I honestly think you've all forgotten how bad his run of X-Men actually was. As for his current Doc Strange, Jesus H fucking Christ is it awful.

Soule is obvious as he is not really contributing anything of worth to the Marvel Universe since his return. All he is done is help push the Inhumans which Shooter would most likely be against, or at least in the form that Soule was doing it in. See Shooter actually tried to give each book an identity and that is one thing that Soule's book lack. They are mediocre and also go against years of established stories so I imagine Shooter would either kick or demand he does better.
>>
>>87405608
You mean colorists or proofreaders?
It's unbelievable how many people ob this board think editors do day to day proofing
>>
>>87405591
>He gives new guys a shot
I think that was one of the things that pissed some of the old guard off. Shooter set a standard pay for all free lancers and then they got extra based on sales. Between that and saying a writer couldn't be their own editor a lot of the Late Silver/Bronze Age guys left for DC or over ventures like Marv Wolfman or Roy Thomas
>>
I get that Shooter is a /co/ meme and the guy definitely had his positives but he also chased essentially all of the greatest talent of the Bronze Age away from Marvel at one point or another.

Also Secret Wars is filled with all sorts of character inconsistencies and continuity fuck ups considering what a nut he was about other writers needing to be on top of that.
>>
>>87407147

His X-Men to my memory was super hit and miss. Dr Strange i feel behind on but liked the first arc.

like >>87407130
said, Soule's a footsoldier who'll do the shit he's assigned on time and regularly
>>
>>87405564
He basically framed what would become the modern comic book era and is a huge reason comic fans were huge on continuity and canon because he was strict about it all working together in the long run. He had flaws however, but when compared to Modern Marvel he seems like a master at the art.
>>
>>87407185

>a writer couldn't be their own editor

to be fair that was mostly a scam to get 2 paychecks
>>
There would be no chance that something like secret wars or civil war II would miss its deadline. He would hold bendis and marquez hostage if it came to it
>>
>>87405167
There is one thing you must always, always, ALWAYS keep in mind: Artists need space to be creative, but they also are huge whiney, lazy faggots.
They need discipline and they need someone to be strict with them, because you can be sure they wont stick to schedules if you let them. Some bullshit about feelings and inability to push creativity.

Aritsts act like divas, if you let them. And for that, you need a strict editor like Shooter. I am willing to bet money the people who hate him, was because they were huwt in they feewings. You need someone strict in order to push the artists not only to stick to schedules (see how current Marvel often has trouble with that? that should give you an idea of how much of a fag are the current editors there), but also to push their creativity, even if its by stress, because yes, even stress can be inspiration.
>>
>>87407448
As always... This man is right.
>>
>>87407272
Oh it totally was

>>87407393
How do you think he would've handled the delays in Hawkeye? To the point that the next volume started before the final issue of the previous
>>
>>87407448
Yes, all of them are exactly the same just like all Jazz men are troubled (possibly mentally ill even!) geniuses who burn out early/die.

Oh wait.

Neither of those are true.

I'm not even sure it necessarily follows you need a prick to push a deadline. I work in a business where we have tight deadlines and everyone I work with is a treat.

Even if we allow that it is true you need someone like him for that kind of setting and requirement it's still not basically true that all artists are essentially like that.

Fucking tool.
>>
>>87407448
Those are two things to keep I'm mind.
>>
>>87407226
Nobody cares about those scrubs who couldn't hack it under Big Shooter. For all the hate he gets, Marvel still put out some of its most iconic stories of all time under Shooter's watchful eye (Daredevil, X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc.)
>>
>>87407272
Yeah, Shooter did a lot of good but also straightened out old loopholes.

People mistake busniess bitterness for artistic bitterness.

I also respect that Shooter admitted he fucked up with Avengers 200 and straight up said that while whoever claimed he helped plot the thing was wrong, he should've stopped it from being printed and he didn't. Not a lot of guys from that era'll outright admit a fuck up like that.
>>
>>87407468
A chainsaw.

More seriously he'd have gotten an art team to finish the book if the artist couldn't get it done and probably very politely fired the artist for consistently missing deadlines.

The ultimates 2 delay would have involved flamethrowers, no exaggeration .
>>
>>87406821
Hasn't written anything hood since She-Hulk.
>>
>>87407803
Have you read Shooter's blog? Even if you don't like the guy its fascinating reading, a good look into the role of an editor in making a creative work jive.
>>
Isnt Shooter a body-swaped russian spy?
>>
>>87407654

Nobody cares about Roy Thomas, Marv Wolfman, Steve Gerber, John Byrne, Steve Englehart, Gerry Conway or Doug Moench?
>>
>>87408508

to be fair, byrne made fuckloads of money under shooter and the gerber stuff would have happened anyway under any other other EiC

the others disliked that shooter actually tried to put some business sense in marvel without which it would have gone under in the 80s (like it almost did again before the disney buyout)
>>
he hates decompression in stories
so I like him
>>
>>87407602
>generalizations don't exist because my non artistic profession exists
You are a special kind of stupid
>>
>>87405167
Jim Shooter was an asshole.
But compared to the assholes we've got today, it would be a great improvement to have him back.
Because despite him being an asshole, I believe he loved comics and loved Marvel... very much unlike the fucktards we got ruining Marvel now, who the only thing they love is diversity and their precious identity politics and merely use Marvel comics as tool for that.
Having him be the boss today, he would improve things greatly overnight, by removing this cancerous tumor that kills Marvel now, firing the whole lot of them and getting back the people who care.
>>
>>87405167
Based Jim would degay Bobby, make Carol feminine again, bring back the real Nick Fury, and fire all the SJW writers.
>>
>>87405167
How tall is Jim Shooter?
>>
>>87405167
Isn't Modern Marvel basically Shooter's fairyland? All the proven names ran away and only editorial pawns were kept.
>>
>>87411973

marvel has changed a lot since he left in the late 80s. basically no one from his era is still around

most of the 90s kinda kept up many of his policies but around the early 2000s shit went belly up

now you have writers who pretty much edit themselves again (bendis)

blatant tracers on important books (deodato, land)

and politics>storytelling as an editorial mandate
>>
>>87407448
I wonder what would Shooter say about Land.
>>
>>87412047

Jim Shooter used to write Captain America as someone who complained about liberals wanting handouts.
>>
>>87412387
Captain America didn't just bash liberals under him though. He was a man who was pretty centre. He took shoots at both democrats and republicans, though the more of the latter. The sad part is that now, that whole 'handout' thing has become how all liberals due to the SJW movement.
>>
Guys, I am very interested in a history of comic book industry. Where can I read more, all these stories you talking about, Shooter and other editors, where should I lurk? I mean not wiki
>>
>>87411675
>implying he wouldn't have Carol's son come back for another round of INCEST IS THE BEST
>>87411705
Big guy.
>>
>>87412387

its really not about a char having a political leaning (ideally all chars should have one)

but about creators subverting stories to fulfill an agenda
>>
>>87412695
Holy fuck, he is huge.
>>
>>87412656

Marvel Comics: The Untold Story, for one
>>
File: chuckshooterand121911.jpg (338KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
chuckshooterand121911.jpg
338KB, 800x600px
>>87412718
Well, he was probably standing on some box or whatever. Or he took picture with dwarfs.
>>
>>87412804
He's nearly squatting in your picture though.
>>
File: SCOOK_B3_Shooter_640.jpg (154KB, 640x459px) Image search: [Google]
SCOOK_B3_Shooter_640.jpg
154KB, 640x459px
>>87412814
Shit, didn't notice. Hard to find decent picture when he's either sitting or it's just pic of his head.
Would you old timey Spider-Woman?
>>
>>87412862
>forcing women to wear skintight spandex at the office

nice going marvel
>>
brevoort would get fired
>>
File: 138998.jpg (457KB, 1024x1508px) Image search: [Google]
138998.jpg
457KB, 1024x1508px
>>87413493

I don't see anyone pointing a gun at her head.
>>
>>87413521
>Big Guy
>>
>>87412656
https://sfdebris.com/videos/special/comic.php
Watch and learn.
>>
>>87413521
>those powers
Could it be? Have we finally discovered a Marvel character that can beat Mandrakk? Maybe he could he even defeat Madara Uchiha...
>>
>>87414014
Still can't defeat Superman Thought Robot.
>>
>>87412656

Read Shooter's now defunct blog, and be sure to check out the comments section for each post, where Brevoort and others confirm certain things.
>>
>>87405182
So there'd be a good chance of improvement is what you're saying?
>>
>>87407226
This, Shooter was pretty
>>
>>87414359
Fuck, my cat hit submit while I was typing.

I'm not even gonna bother redoing it.
>>
>>87414109
A link for that, please?
>>
>>87406821
>Slott can actually write comics

No one would know this based on his last roughly 5 years worth of Spider-Man books.
>>
>>87414471
Now fans can suffer just like Spider-Man.
>>
>>87412752
>>87413776
>>87414109

Thanks!
>>
>>87412713

Remember when Cap fought the Secret Empire and turned out the big bad was the President of the United States, who then killed himself? Good times.
>>
>>87408199
This

You have to take it with a grain of salt but reading HIS side it pretty fascinating.
>>
If Shooter was so great, how come he got fired? Because he couldn't deliver, stop living in the past guys.

It's not healthy desu.
>>
>>87415457
He got everyone's panties in a twist and they wanted him gone because he was just too mean :(.
>>
>>87412379
Land is a guy Shooter would love for keeping to the schedule.
>>
>>87415478
There is a rumor that in that New Universe comic burning party some of the people were naked.
>>
>>87415563
BUT he'd tell him to draw, not trace. Shooter already had to deal with Mantlo plagiarizing everywhere, so...
>>
Did DC have similar company drama?
>>
>>87415881
Good question, anon. Why is it that there is an Untold Story for Marvel but not one for DC? Was it a peaceful place or were they very discreet, simply?
>>
>>87415991
DC would rather avoid mentioning the time they got conned by Marvel. Or got dicked when they were buying other character rights. Or frankly everything that happened in the 80s
>>
>>87415991
Something about DC seems to keep most creators from airing their dirty laundry. Though it still happens from time to time.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.