[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What didn't people like about the humor?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 4

File: Odd M.D..jpg (296KB, 810x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Odd M.D..jpg
296KB, 810x1200px
What didn't people like about the humor?
>>
It was good. Complainign about MCU having humor has become a meme.

Some "I watch mature movies for mature viewer such as myself" try-hard are complaining that humor break the flow, whereas, for most people, it actually elevate it and help the pacing good.
>>
>>87390023
Yeah the biggest argument I've seen is "It breaks the tension." and the only scene where I can kind of see this is when he first gets the cape and it starts tugging him around, but I think that would have been fine if it didn't go on too long.
>>
>>87390001
They went a bit overboard and it falls flat in some places. If you liked movies like Thor and Age of Ultron, you'll love this one.

Marvel has a habit of never letting moments develop, and just instantly deflating any tension in a story thanks to badly placed one liners.
>>
>>87390053
Those one liners are great though. Kids love them
>>
>>87390053
>and just instantly deflating any tension in a story thanks to badly placed one liners.
But it does not deflate it and that's why it's so hilarious.
>>
>>87390053
Could you give an example from this movie? I'm not trying to start an argument or anything I'm just curious.
>>
>>87390076
The part of where Strange name dropping different musicians at Wong
>>
>>87390076
When Ancient One dies, Strange is very moved and tears roll down his face and the Cape stops the tears while Strange resists.

When Strange traps Mads, after a dangerous fight where Strange has killed someone for the first time, Mads does a series of hilarios poses, before giving a very series speech about Time being the true enemy

I consider bad one liners to include gags and quips
>>
>>87390107
What has that got to do with deflating tension?
>>
>>87390120
I don't think Mads hilarious poses were unintentional, but I'll give you that they were pretty funny and distracting
>>
>>87390120
I'm surprised that they didn't make Strange acting jokey at Dormammu
>>
>>87390131
Not him, that dialogue was a set up for a joke

Wong was built up as this total badass who would notice Strange stealing books and kill him before he could even leave. The very next scene Wong is sat on a desk listening to Beyonce while Strange steals books in a funny way.

We never see Wong actually do anything after that.
>>
>>87390120
>Strange is very moved and tears roll down his face and the Cape stops the tears while Strange resists.
I thought it was a very touching moment in the movie. Are you showcasing that as a good use of the cape?

>When Strange traps Mads, after a dangerous fight where Strange has killed someone for the first time, Mads does a series of hilarios poses, before giving a very series speech about Time being the true enemy
There was no bad one liners in that movie. I don't know what is the issue. Strange manage to restrain the guy and interrogate him. It was good scene.
>>
>>87390166
Did you want to see grumpy,old,chubby Benedict Wong have an action scene or something?
I did expect some pay off where Strange is punished for stealing the books but I guess Wong was just talking shit and trying to spook Strange
>>
>>87390023
Oh fuck off, disnigger. Not every movie needs to be le funneh quipfests
>>
>>87390166
Do you feel they sacrificed the stern grumpy Wong character they had been setting up over the Beyonce joke?
>>
>>87390209
>Not every movie needs to be le funneh quipfests
>need to
What do you mean, need to? They are not this ay because they need to, but because that is how they wanted to write it.

Cape comic has always been a source for lots of comedy, no reason to remove that aspect from the movies.
>>
>>87390218
He is not being scarified at all. He only lack a good action scene and that has nothing to do with joke. he still run his shit.
>>
Really wish /co/ would stop strawmanning people who want a little less out of place jokes in movies as people who want zero humour and want everything to serious and edgy. There's something called balance.

>>87390196
>Are you showcasing that as a good use of the cape?
I'm using it as an example of killing tension.

>I don't know what is the issue. Strange manage to restrain the guy and interrogate him. It was good scene.
They had no reason to make it funny. Many people in a packed theatre thought it was funny, or did they miss something?
>>
>>87390297
Tension isn't being built from him crying though
>>
>>87390297
>I'm using it as an example of killing tension.
But that this wrong. it was a touching moment that actually contributed to the mood. a slight touch of compassion that elevate the spirit in time of sorrow.

>They had no reason to make it funny.
But it wasn't made funny.
>Many people in a packed theatre thought it was funny, or did they miss something?
More likely a nervous reaction more than anything. the strap isn't meant to be funny, it's meant to be weird and disturbing and that fit the scene perfectly. It's meant to be weirding out as an old torture device. it make sense it caused some nervous laughters.
>>
>>87390001
it seemed obligatory and when on too long. the name joke was fine but could have stooped at two names . the part where the cape was pulling him back could be cut in half etc.
>>
>>87390357
>it seemed obligatory
It really wasn't.
>the part where the cape was pulling him back could be cut in half etc.
It clearly established it had a mind of its own.
>>
>>87390376
I'm pro-humor in Doctor Strange but I agree the cape thing went on slightly too long, just when it was tugging him during the fight
>>
Take out the
>Beyoncé
>Mister Doctor
>most of le funny self-moving cape
and literally every other humourous line or visual gag is fine. Those three really are the one that got me to roll my eyes for how out of place they were at those points in the narrative.
>>
>>87390376
>It really wasn't.
I disagree
>It clearly established it had a mind of its own.
Yes I agree they do establish that. it when on too long I said.
>>
>>87390333
>>87390340
The audience was laughing hard when the cape wiped the tears away. Made it hard to feel sentimental at that moment.

>make sense it caused some nervous laughters
It was a genuine laugh out loud moment the audience had. I know what happened in my own theatre.
>>
>>87390131
Strange was actively trying to deflate the tension between himself and Wong when doing that... Which is why it's idiotic to bring it up as an argument.
>>
>>87390407
>I disagree
It literally isn't. the reason it's there is because they wanted it. Nobody forced them.

>The audience was laughing hard when the cape wiped the tears away. Made it hard to feel sentimental at that moment.
Laugh of relieve exist too.

>It was a genuine laugh out loud moment the audience had. I know what happened in my own theatre.
PErsonal perception, but I had an other interpretation than them. either way, if they were laughing, it means they still enjoyed those moments, even if it was for different moment.

In any case, none of those two scene are bad or arm the movie.
>>
>>87390442
So you're agreeing with me?
>>
>>87390458
Just pointing out that it's got everything to do with deflation tension, just not in a bad extraneous way like the guy you responded to acted like it was. So you're both wrong and I'm the bestest.

Strange resorting to music references(something he's been shown to enjoy previously) to deflate the tension when faced with a stone-faced individual isn't anything like the cape shenanigans.
>>
>>87390445
I know when people are laughing hard when I hear it.

The trapping sequence (only when Mads is in the process of getting trapped, not the entire scene where he spills out his motivations) took me out of the movie just because of its sheer absurdity, anytime a movie breaks the suspension of disbelief, I class it as an negative.

You don't need to laugh to enjoy something. All it takes is to think "Wow, this is awesome".
>>
>>87390525
>just because of its sheer absurdity
How is that absurd in any way? The cape show Strange a tortuorous straping cage to stop the guy and he use it. there is nothing to break the flow of the narative, it all fit. And the magic strap act as a weird magical restrainer, that fit perfectly within the story. I don't see how it would break supression of disbelief. Why can't a magic museum have some torturous device?

>You don't need to laugh to enjoy something.
No, but if someone laugh it's a good indication that he is. Never say that making hte audience laugh was an obligation. And the magic restrainer was kind of awesome.
>>
>>87390722
I think you're not getting my point.

Cape shows a strapping cage? Have no problem with it
Strap cage can restrain magic? No problem with that
>Why can't a magic museum have some torturous device?
Never said it couldn't

My problem was the manner at which the cage trap was in the process of trapping Kaellicus. It forced him into several odd poses that only seemed to be conjured up for purposes of making people laugh.

It took me out of the movie.
>>
>>87390832
>It forced him into several odd poses that only seemed to be conjured up for purposes of making people laugh.
Nope, it actually make sense, it restrain the hands who are used to conjure magic, and put them backward so that it's not pointed toward the the interrogator. plus it look weird and almost like a torture device.

It was designed to make it look weird and awkward, almost alive. And it actually has some underlying functionality as it is designed.

There was no reason fo yout obe taken out of the movie by that, it fit completly to the narrative.

That being said, the rest of the audience didn't had really a reason to laugh at it either. But it's definitely not an out of place moment in the movie.
>>
Not all humor in this movie is bad, a gag I enjoyed was the vending machine during the astral fight.

>>87390864
I was still taken out despite you giving reasons for why it shouldn't have. I don't think we're going to agree on anything else here.
>>
>>87390832
I laughed at the restrainer sequence because it looked fantastic and I was wondering if they had Mads learn to moonwalk for it and do all those poses and just superimpose the cage in the end, or whether it was filmed in reverse, or whether it was pure CGI. It went on a bit long, but I found the cape making Strange run in place for several seconds by far the worst offender.
>>
>>87391060
Nick nicking an additional pack o' crisps shaken loose by two sorcerers fighting for their souls. That was definitely a favourite.
>>
>>87390120
>When Ancient One dies, Strange is very moved and tears roll down his face and the Cape stops the tears while Strange resists.

That doesn't happen though. The cape swipes at his tears later, after the Ancient One's death, and it's a scene with levity but also depth. It shows that what's happened has affected Strange, and the cloak gives a shit, but despite how he's changed he's still not really comfortable with emotional displays. This part of his character is shown throughout the film, even at the very beginning, when he can barely bring himself to accept a hug from the family of a patient he's saved.

>When Strange traps Mads, after a dangerous fight where Strange has killed someone for the first time, Mads does a series of hilarios poses, before giving a very series speech about Time being the true enemy

That pose work was amazing by Mads, he did an incredible job of making look like he's being restrained. And it has no bearing on the speech he makes when Strange interrogates him - if anything, it makes him more menacing because of how he seems so in control of the situation despite being restrained.

Have you considered that your problem is not quips, but the fact that you are a huge pleb?
>>
according to the RT and audience score, absolutely nothing

It worked for everyone but a select few on /co/ who went into it wanting to hate it
>>
>>87390392
Mister Doctor was great. It really fits into the overall narrative of the film, in that it's Strange making himself sound ridiculous by trying to be overly serious. He desperately wants to hold on to the idea that he's a doctor and a man of rationality who is above all this magic shit, but in magic world it just makes him sound dumb. Doctor Strange only becomes a title that can be taken seriously after he accepts the situation he's in fully at the end and reconciles his rationality with the truth in front of him, realizing he can be both a man of reason and of mysticism.

The only cape thing I'd cut would be a few seconds of it dragging him toward the weird bondage device. Everything else was great.
>>
>>87390120
Mads is just shit. Ruined Hannibal for me with his shitty accent and poor Johan Liebert impersonation instead of being a proper Lecter.
>>
>>87390001
because it's bland and sometimes feels like it's forced. i think some comedic scenes should taken out.
>>
>>87390053
>Marvel has a habit of never letting moments develop, and just instantly deflating any tension in a story thanks to badly placed one liners.
This so much
>>
Holy christ is there just one anon in this thread replying to every single post to explain that the movie had no problems with tone or humor?
>>
>>87392506
This not at all. The pacing and delivery of each joke in Marvel fit perfectly.
>>
>>87392551
No, there are several. There are a lot of post I didn't made.
>>
Kaecilius' poses are pretty clearly something that wasn't supposed to be funny, but audiences responded lightly to. It's happened before in Marvel movies

>"Everyone we know is trying to kill us"
>Falcon getting blasted
>"TONY STARK WAS ABLE TO BUILD THIS IN A CAVE! WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!"
>>
>>87392233
But isn't the Ancient One evil?
>>
>>87393304
Nope.
She's afraid. You should go watch the movie. Her motives are explained in her death scene.
>>
File: :co:hate.png (57KB, 400x347px) Image search: [Google]
:co:hate.png
57KB, 400x347px
>>87390001
/co/ doesn't like stuff. You should know this by now.
>>
>>87390001
It's because the "Quip" people are 18-19 year olds that are embarrassed to go see movies that might have the children audience in mind when they are made. They're too "mature and serious" to admit that they like what could possibly be perceived as a children's movie.
>>
>>87393906
It's such a relief growing up, I'm not old enough to be childish and not worry about it.
Kids are so busy trying to adult, without knowing what that means.
They think it's about being srs all the time and angry and devoid of fun.

Rejoice! It gets fun again.
>>
>>87393981
... I'm NOW old enough etc....
not --> NOW! Jeez, imptortant destinction.
>>
>>87390001
one scene was ruined, i think.
the cape should've let stephen cry and not ruin a perfectly acted moment.

JUST
>>
>>87393906
What a neckbeard thing to say.
>>
>>87392481
>poor Johan Liebert impersonation instead of being a proper Lecter.
Kek. This was exactly why I enjoyed him as Hannibal though.
>>
>>87392646
>Falcon getting blasted
This triggered me so hard. Not because of what happened but because I was actually caught in the moment and could understand Tony's rage yet some people in the screening I went to thought it was supposed to be a comedic moment and actually laughed.
>>
>still giving a shit about capeshit
>even with based Cummerbund
>>
>>87390053
in all fairness, Age of Ultron did really well with this with Vision. His scenes had great weight and tension. Even picking up Thor's hammer, which did get a stifled laugh, was overpowered by the weight of what happened.
>>
>>87394245
>Even picking up Thor's hammer, which did get a stifled laugh, was overpowered by the weight of what happened.

I remember that I heard more gasps than actual laughter when I saw it in the cinemas.
>>
Glad to know I'm not the only one who thought the humour was a little off.
>>
>>87390001
It was badly placed and/or cringey as fuck
>>
Who wins in a fight? Aladdin's carpet or Strange's cloak?
>>
>>87394040
>was right and i didn't like it so i'll call you a neckbeard
>>
>>87390219
>Cape comic has always been a source for lots of comedy, no reason to remove that aspect from the movies.

t. someone who hasen't read cape comics and loves those LOL SO FUNNY silver age covers
>>
>>87390219
>people actually believe a genre has only one mode and thats comedy
>people dont remember the Golden Age comics of Superman beating up crooked politicians
>people dont remember that Ditko's Strange was the most serious shit ever with very little humor
>people just ignore everything Miller has done
>people ignore most of Jack Kirby's work

I hate casuals like you
>>
>>87393876
>if people disagree with me then its because of the shitty hivemind!!! PEOPLE COULDNT ACTUALLY HAVE THESE OPINIONS!!!! REEEEEE
>>
File: genre_appropriate.jpg (129KB, 824x349px) Image search: [Google]
genre_appropriate.jpg
129KB, 824x349px
>>87395822
>comedy
>Golden Age comics of Superman

I'm gonna keep posting these panels in these dumbass "serious genre" threads until you children get the point.
>>
>>87390001
>Wong tells Strange his jokes are forced and everybody pretends he is funny.
>The movie's jokes are forced as well.
Poetry.
G*ddamn fucking Marvelshits thinking jokes were needed itt.
>>
There's nothing wrong with jokes or one liners, but when things are serious, the characters should be too. It takes me out of the movie when the characters are making jokes when so much is on the line. If they're not taking things seriously, why should I?
>>
>people here have already seen the movie
>still no camrip
>>
>>87395756
I actually have been reading more than you, if you really believe humor doesn't have it's place in Cape comic.
>>people actually believe a genre has only one mode and thats comedy
Wrong from the very start congratulation. The MCU have much more mood than just comedy, it's simply part of it.
>>people dont remember the Golden Age comics of Superman beating up crooked politicians
Because that means it never had comedy in it at all, then, that's how it work, isn't it?
>>people dont remember that Ditko's Strange was the most serious shit ever with very little humor
But there still was some, and that's the point.
>>people just ignore everything Miller has done
He still had his moments (voluntary or not)
>>people ignore most of Jack Kirby's work
You seem to ignore it also had humor in it.
>>
>>87397130
>It takes me out of the movie when the characters are making jokes when so much is on the line
Snappy one liner in the face of danger is precisely what make heroes cool. And it is something that is done a lot in Cape comic. how do you not know that?

> If they're not taking things seriously, why should I?
It's when things are at stake that you need to relax and brief.

I mean, for fuck sake, it's the basic of most action story, spice it up with humor from time to time to relax the tension. It's basic story telling.
>>
The jokes were bad and not funny.
>>
>>87399109
Woops, sorry I meant the opposite.
>>
>>87399190
They weren't funny, almost none of the "humor" in the MCU is funny. It's just douche characters acting smug.
>>
>>87399437
I don't care.
>>
>>87399464
Well at least you admit the movie is bad, that's the first step to recovery.
>>
File: 1402097430200.png (887KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1402097430200.png
887KB, 1366x768px
>>87399533
Tits or GTFO
>>
>>87399571
I don't have tits, just better taste than you.
>>
>>87399649
Put them on the glass.
>>
>>87399907
No thank you sir.
>>
>>87392554
Jesus either you're 12 or one of the biggest marvel shill. The jokes really sucked and were misplaced in this flick
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.