[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Race Swapping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 9

File: Ra's.jpg (8KB, 300x187px) Image search: [Google]
Ra's.jpg
8KB, 300x187px
Why does everyone care that The Ancient One is a white person and not that they made Ra's Al Ghul white?
>>
>>87345979
Name one jap or edgyptian actor that is actually good.
Protip:No Jackie Chan or Mr. Robot
>>
>>87345979

Because Marvel and Marvel fanboys are always patting themselves on the back on being ''just like the comics! we are not embarrased about it!'' while actually changing tons and tons of stuff.

That and the fact that they altered the character just for the sake of making money on China, so they don't give a flying fuck about these characters beyond their ability to make these $$$$$$$ appear
>>
Probably David Goyer's fault in both cases. He worked on an earlier version of a Doctor Strange movie, then went on to Batman Begins and probably recycled a plot element he was going to use for Doctor Strange in BB, which is why the movie strangely has aspects that feel like a Doctor Strange origin story.
>>
>>87345979
Only PC SJW with too much time on their hands gets into a snit about these things. Normal people don't give a toss.
>>87346024
Jackie Cha... DAMNIT!
>>
>>87345979
A lot can change in a decade. Also Ra's is a villain.
>>
>>87345979
Because casuals don't know what nationality Ra's is.
>>
>>87346065
>Normal people don't give a toss.
>Normal people
Get out.
>>
>>87346088
>Implying casuals have any idea of who the ancient one is
>>
Because D.C. Gets away with shit by virtue of not acting like they care as much. Marvel bends over backwards to show how progressive they are so people think they want to listen to the complaints to learn.
>>
>>87345979

I cared. Still do, Arrow sucks
>>
>>87346064
Actually Ra's identity was a twist. The fake one was presented as the real one until release. It was likely Nolan's idea as he repeated it with Talia.
>>
>>87346136
Well, Ancient One is very specifically from Himalayas.
>>
>>87346024
I honestly can't even think of that many egyptian actors or even middle eastern ones.
>>
>>87345979
because he only became Ra's after the old guy in the ninja temple died, it was a title in the Nolan verse
>>
>>87346191
>It was likely Nolan's idea as he repeated it with Talia.
Yeah, repeated it after the fact. I haven't seen Strange yet, but apparently there's a scene where he sees an old Chinese man he thinks is the Ancient One before he sees Tilda Swinton. It just makes me wonder if it's a remnant of an earlier script, even maybe the one Goyer did.
>>
>>87345979
Ra's was always white until sensei was introduced, he was pashtun aka Aryan as fuck
>>
>>87346262

from what i've heard that sounds like it's more of an easter egg/reference to the comics than anything plot related like in the Nolan movies
>>
>>87346136
They don't. Casuals don't care about side-character XYZ being changed. It's just that someone on the internet went "What? NOT MUH ANCIENT ONE", then that spread to tumblr, who are on autopilot concerning raceswapping, whether they know the source material or not.

Case in point:

Marvel:
>We can't make it a Tibetan monk, China will boycott the movie.
>Let's make the Ancient One white
>Oh but that won't fly with tumblr and left-leaning media
>Make it a woman, then. Or something androgynous for extra brownie points. That'll balance it out.
>How does Tilda Swinton sound?
>Crazy enough to work

Tumblr:
>WAAAH WAAH WHY IS THIS NOT AN ASIAN LADY WHY IS WHITE SUPREMACY A THING WAAH WAAH

Marvel:
>You want asian? We're setting up the Defenders. Iron Fist is a-go-go.

Tumblr:
>WHY IS THE GUY NOT ASIAN THE KUNG FU GUY NEEDS TO BE ASIAN ELSE IT'S RACIST, MARGINALIZATION OF ASIAN ACTORS WAAAH

Marvel:
>But it's just like in the Comics, where Danny Rand is a fish out of water in western society and an ethnical minority in K'un Lun

Tumblr:
>WAAAAH CISHET WHITE MALE DAS RASCIST WAAAH

You CANNOT win with these people. That wouldn't be a problem if people weren't constantly giving in to their rhetoric.
>>
>>87346223
But most people who watch the movie will eat up whatever explanation is given and not think anything of it because they've never read a comic in their life.
>>
>>87346024
That Korean guy in lost
>>
>>87346327
>You CANNOT win with these people.
>Give an example of the company giving them two white characters
>>
>>87346327

or they could just adapt like Shang Chi or give a hero an asian sidekick instead of a black guy.
>>
>>87346403
Asians are box office poison in Hollywood and you know it. This is the same shit that /tv/ argued about over ScarJo being casted in the GITS movie despite the fact that the Japs themselves don't mind and that nobody in anime is Asian.
>>
>>87346327
I still don't understand why they didn't make the ancient one Nepali, nobody has any beef with Nepal or its people.
>>
>>87346415
shang chi is in iron fist
>>
>>87346403
The example is TAO is white but also a woman now.

The second part of the example is to show that they are on auto-pilot with no regard to the source material. It's not fan outrage. It's pretend-nerd indignation fanned into mock-outrage.

We got black Heimdall and black Mordo, right? Mordo even lost his first name and title, because "Karl" would have given him away a bit

>>87346415
They could, yes. But The Master of Kung-Fu is even less known than Danny Rand. They won't feel like it counts.
>>
>>87346104
"Normal" is a quantifyer - calm your tits.
>>
>>87346333
But complaining about inconsistencies with source they know nothing about is a hip thing in Twitter.
>>
>>87346469
>We got black Heimdall and black Mordo, right?
You have to cater to blacks because they'll riot. Asians are bitches and want to suck up to white people.
>>
>>87346444
Because the movie needed women in charge of something or it would be bashed even more by tumblr. The only other female character with lines is Christine Palmer, and she doesn't get that much to do but be Strange's estranged ex and perform surgery on him while he's bleeding to death. There's a faceless follower of Kaecilius that Strange strands in the desert, I don't remember seeing any other females except maybe extras in crowd shots.
>>
>>87345979

>Why does everyone care that The Ancient One is a white person and not that they made Ra's Al Ghul white?

You mean pink.
>>
>>87346444
Fuck the Napalese
>>
>>87346433

>ScarJo being casted in the GITS

She's a stumpy jewess with muffintop, she's not an action hero.
>>
>>87346444
China is embarrassed at its history with the country - and hollywood is eager to please the giant country.
>>
>>87346327
I love it when 4chan is stupid enough to think anyone in Hollywood gives a rat's ass about what 'Tumblr' will think.
>>
>>87346433
>nobody in anime is Asian

You a retard or something? They're cartoons.

Asians don't draw themselves with exaggerated Asian features because to them, 'Asian' is the standard template for what a character is assumed to be. They do, however, draw westerners with exaggerated western features.
>>
>>87345979
I'm more upset they made the League of Assassins Asian.

An old Asian guy was supposed to be called Ra's Al-Ghul. What the hell was up with that?
>>
>>87346494
Nah, get out casual.
>>
because Liam is an actual good actor
>>
File: the-avengers-black-widow-01.jpg (43KB, 409x600px) Image search: [Google]
the-avengers-black-widow-01.jpg
43KB, 409x600px
>>87346537
EXCUSE ME, are you insinuating that Scarlet Johansen in fact does not play most bad ass female character IN ALL OF MCU?!!!
>>
>>87346553
But China and Nepal has a good relationship
>>
>>87346561
Nice try weab. Go back to /a/ and jackoff to your loli cartoons.

Everybody knows Japs subconsciously desire to be white. White is the standard of beauty in the world. Especially in Asia. It's why Asian chicks dig white women all the time and why Hollywood stars are treated like gods in Japan. Or why white models and actors are used in their commercials.
>>
File: kingdomofheaven.jpg (70KB, 1399x816px) Image search: [Google]
kingdomofheaven.jpg
70KB, 1399x816px
>>87346024
Ghassan Massoud. Played Saladin in Kingdom of Heaven.
>>
>>87346561
>They do, however, draw westerners with exaggerated western features.

really depends on the anime, most just make everyone look the same
>>
>>87346024

A fuckton of them don't even get big enough roles to actually act
>>
>>87346560
Their rhetoric is infecting the real world through the media, you know?
Doesn't really matter what some legbeards on the internet think, but it's seeping through onto campus culture as well.
>>
>>87346585
> not Sif
She can't play Nat. Just eye candy.
>>
>>87346635
this is good,,
>>
>>87346580
no and you can't make me.
>>
>>87345979
For me, all race swapping is bad. Whether it be Ra's, Bane, Iris West, or anyone else.
>>
>>87345979
The argument as I understand it is that there are next to no decent roles for Asians/Arabs in movies, and now roles that were designed for Asians/Arabs are being given to white people.
>>
>>87346635
and your talia cast.
>>
>>87346657
Maybe, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence that that affects ticket sales or that Hollywood executives give a fuck.
>>
>>87346560
I love that you're this blatantly blind deaf and dumb to how much of an impact they've already had on culture in general. You're a fucking ostrich. How do you breathe down there?
>>
>>87346685
There are no designated roles in acting. Anyone can play anything theoretically, but within a business context, you cater to where the money is. Nobody that's white is going to watch a movie full of Orientals.
>>
>>87346433
>this stupidity again

Japs don't think anime characters look asian the same way we don't think most cartoon characters look western. Nobody, no matter where the come from, looks like Ben 10 or Dipper, real people don't have faces like that, and they're not detailed enough for us to get a clear sense of ethnicity from them (this is intentional, by the way. It makes it easier for more people to identify with these characters). We do, however, assume them to be western unless stated otherwise, the same way they assume characters to be asian unless stated otherwise.

Ethnic features are only really played up in cartoons when they deviate from the assumed norm of the cartoon in question. And even then it's often really subtle, so that, again, as many people as possible can identify with these characters.
>>
>>87345979

mordo just got blackwashed so it all gets balanced.
>>
>>87346698
Hollywood pretends to give a fuck at least.
If they can spin something as progressive in an effort to boost ticket sales, they will do it. Both the Ancient One and Ghostbusters 2016 either almost or spectacularly backfired.
>>
>>87346700
Probably very little, because your average person doesn't blog on Tumblr, know what Tumblr is, or give a rat's ass about what some minority group on a blog collective thinks about movie casting or culture in general.
>>
>>87346024
That one guy in Iron Man was alright. Ip Man series was decent. Was just obvious Japanese directing and type of acting format. Those are all about I can think of though, so that sets the bar pretty low.
>>
>>87346725
>There are no designated roles in acting.
I said "designed", not designated, and yes, there are designed roles in acting if you're retelling the story.

>Nobody that's white is going to watch a movie full of Orientals.
This is exactly the kind of thinking people have a problem with, the idea that movies should pander to whites to the exclusion of other races. Your movie isn't "full" of Asians just because you add one or two.
>>
>>87346770
2/10
Try harder

Characters with blue eyes and blonde hair aren't Jap regardless if they speak the lingo and live in Japan.
>>
>>87346696
I don't know any Arab actresses so I'm at a blank there

Except Shoreh Agdashloo but she's in her 60's
>>
>>87345979
The obnoxious SJW movement hadn't entered full swing by that point.

That said, all complaints about ethnicity in Doctor Strange should be answered the same way - they didn't cast white actors or black actors or whatever actors, they chose absolutely based actors that would play their roles incredibly well.
>>
>>87346696

Mia Khalifa
>>
>>87346815
Why the fuck should people watch a movie with a chink when there's millions of films in Asia doing that? Just have SJWs watch those instead.
>>
>>87346560
It's not tumblr itself but the ideology tumblr embodies. Don't even try to pretend it hasn't affected Marvel comics and DC to a lesser extent.
>>
>>87346839
Because having good actors means sooooo much when it comes to the MCU. Remember how Hopkins phoned in every single line in Thor?
>>
>>87346509
>Asians are bitches and want to suck up to white people.
Just because we don't complain loudly doesn't mean we wouldn't get our revenge later. Rest assured, we remember every transgression.
>>
>>87346839
That, at least, is true. Both Chihuahua Ageoffour and Tilda Swinton killed it.
>>
>>87346846
It hasn't. It only affects you if you're a /pol/tard.
>>
>>87346786
>because your average person doesn't blog on Tumblr
No, but they browse Twitter, which is just as bad, and frequent newsfeed sites that are ever at the ready to post clickbait articles on the lack of Diversityâ„¢ in American media.
>>
>>87346822
Yeah?

They're generally not meant to be Japanese even in the context of a show if they have that combination of features. Characters like November 11 are given blonde hair and blue eyes precisely to make them stick out from the mostly asian characters in their shows, demonstrating via their different appearance that they are not of the norm, and influencing the audience's assumptions about them.

Be less of a pleb.
>>
>>87346866
Sure you do T.Y. Chung. Now go back to the fuck you came from and make me my iphone.
>>
>>87346844
Yes, that's what everyone's been saying but that's not what they want.
>>
>>87346899
You sound just like those dumbass that think Goku's supposed to be Asian. Nobody gives a shit about your Nip cartoons or casting preferences weab.
>>
>>87346861
Shouldn't you be in a Suicide Squad thread?

Pretty much everyone in Doctor Strange brought a ton of character and believability to their roles. Even Kaecillius, who was interesting but could have been fleshed out more, was enhanced massively by how well Mads played him.
>>
>>87346560
Not Tumblr per say, but it is the ideology and type of "progressive" that Marvel is submitting too. To say that these people don't exist and don't have vocal opinions is absurd. To say that Marvel isn't half listening to these people is also stupid. Take Marvel comics for examples on the level of retardation that "Tumblr" has wrought.
>>
>>87346872
They're too good for the MCU. Same with Hopkins >>87346861
>>
>>87346910
Last time I checked this is still a white majority country. Asians need to remember their place and STFU.
>>
>>87346934
I don't really care about casting in films.

And Goku's an alien, right? He's not meant to be any ethnicity. His black hair and black eyes are clearly there to make him look markedly asian to the asian audience, though.
>>
>>87346969
Asians are STFU'ing.
It's mostly white people virtue signalling and getting offended at their behalf because it's the [Current Year]

Props to you you've never encountered this shit, because it's getting pretty much into every nook and cranny currently.
>>
File: HA HA HAA.jpg (67KB, 617x603px) Image search: [Google]
HA HA HAA.jpg
67KB, 617x603px
>>87346964
>>87346861
>asshurt company loyalists

Look, Warner Bros has made shitty films about DC comics, and shitposting in as many threads as possible will not change that.

This isn't a thread about your vindictive desire to discredit other things because [thing you wanted to like] was bad. Go elsewhere to discuss that.
>>
>>87346969
>Last time I checked this is still a white majority country.
And yet the media would want you to think six or seven out of ten Americans are black.
>>
>>87345979
>everyone
Most people who will see this movie don't care because like me, they know shit about Doctor Strange.
>>
>>87346064
David Goyer was not involved in the fucking casting.
>>
>>87347059
It is in certain parts of the country I grant you. Georgia has a fuckton of blacks.
>>
>>87347059
Media also wants you to think that gay people are a majority.
>>
>>87347055
>implying console wars
Marvel was already wasting actors in half-baked roles left and right way before MoS or BvS premiered. Hopkins as Odin, Weaving as Red Skull, Rourke as Vanko -- Rourke's case especially was so bad, he up and swore never to work for Marvel/Disney again.
>>
>>87346969
To be fair, it becomes sort of silly when you're making a film set in a non-white country and all the main characters are white for no reason. If you're making something set in Texas or Indiana or wherever, sure, but if you want to shoot a character drama about the Indian cast system, it would be pretty silly to have everyone be white.

Of course, that doesn't apply here, as Doctor Strange is set basically all over the world and they pretty much just grabbed the best actors for the job.
>>
>>87346842
only if she gets her nips fixed
>>
>>87347028
This. It's crazy to think that the majority of the people outraged could possibly be white.
>>
>>87346952
>>87347055
What exactly makes you think I like DC movies? Because I dared to say something negative about these marvel flicks and how literally getting any actor does not matter? Every single last one of them phones it in except for Hiddleton.
>>
>>87346620

Puff puff pass, anon. You know the rules.
>>
>>87345979
>White guy Ra's Al Ghul
Honestly I thought it had to do with BB's more "realistic" setting, that they were gonna play it off as some pseudo-mystical body swapping or passing on of the mantle.

There are white arabs though, met some guy from lebanon who looked like an aryan ubermensch
>>
>>87347172
Because it's always about DC movies. It always comes back to that. Every time I've had this discussion, it always ends up that the person screaming bloody murder about how awful and bad these films are is just butthurt that nobody likes DC movies.

I don't like Thor 1 and I can't say shit about Thor 2 as I haven't seen it. Hopkins' scene where he banishes Thor was probably the best bit in the film, however, and it wasn't him that brought the film down - it was Natalie Portman bringing everything down to her level.

Nobody in Doctor Strange phones anything in. They all give great performances, even if I wish one of them had more time devoted to him.
>>
>>87347233
It sounds like irony, but before Hitler and his cronies reclassified the word, Aryans were people from the middle east. Also Albanians can be blonde and blue eyed as fuck.
>>
>>87345979
Batman Begins came out 2005. Nobody cared about this kind of shit back then.
>>
>>87347235
Can't speak for strange since I haven't seen it, and obviously every single DC movie to date has been garbage and trash, but it's fairly obvious every single actor in the MCU, can not speak for Avengers 2 or civil war or thor 2, as I haven't seen those, thankfully, but they all phone it in. Robert downey jr. is good as iron man because he's literally just playing himself. My point being that even if they get good actors, they're still going to give fairly wooden performances because they're super hero movies. As I said, Hiddleton is probably the only actor, that I've seen mind you, that actually aced his ass off. It's just a goddamn shame it happened to be in the worst marvel movie to date.
>>
>>87347295
Yeah I'm aware of the history of the word Aryan. Honestly most Americans are fucking stupid about the middle east and don't realize how diverse the people look. I think most Americans think Arabs look like Pakis, meanwhile you got people like Mia Khalifa who look like a pajeet and people who are blonde and blue eyed from the same country.
>>
>>87347343
>aced
Acted*
>>
>>87347343
I disagree.

I have some big problems with a lot of the Mahvel films, but actors phoning it in generally isn't it. IM2 is mediocre because everything about the script is mediocre (and believe me, if you haven't seen it, it was definitely worse than Thor). Thor is mediocre because it starts you off with this huge space royalty drama and then chucks you into hicksville to tag along with the world's least interesting love interest and her romantic comedy buddies. I get the symbolism of going from everything to nothing, of being sent to somewhere utterly obscure, and I feel that none of the actors phoned in their performances (note: Natalie didn't phone stuff in, she's just shit), but they didn't make it work.

Same on Avengers 2 and Thor 2, I wasn't interested enough to watch them.

Pretty much everyone I get the impression of some attempt at acting, there are just some weak scripts at work in films like Thor and IM2. Those films didn't have actors that weren't trying, they just failed to exploit their actors properly.
>>
>>87345979
Because it's okay when deecee does it.
>>
>>87347028
>>87347157
ITT: White people acting like they know what Asians want.

Honestly, neck yourselves.
>>
File: Animated_Ra's.jpg (32KB, 583x480px) Image search: [Google]
Animated_Ra's.jpg
32KB, 583x480px
>>87345979
Because nobody knows who Rash is and at glance he could be mistaken for a white guy.
>>
>>87347343
You should probably watch Strange bruh. The acting is pretty great and almost everyone is used fully.

Mads gets a typical first-in-trilogy stopgap villain part, but he's more interesting than most, and he manages to elevate the character to enjoyable levels through sheer ability. You can tell the dude had fun being this menacing deranged asshole. I'm pretty glad they at least left the possibility of his return somewhat open.

And I guess the biggest bad guy isn't really played by him, it's played by Benedict Cabbagepatch.
>>
>>87347635
I don't see any Asian outrange about the casting decisions. I only see beached landwhales with technicolor hair, meek white knights and shady online reporters complaining. Also some fans of the comic.
>>
>>87347677
I'll see if it someone pays for me, or I'll just end up torrenting it and never watching it like a bunch of other movies I have sitting on my desktop. I lost interest in the MCU as a whole after Thor 1. I did however see ant-man because /co/ couldn't stop raving about it, and while it wasn't bad, it was super generic and felt like blatant filler. It felt like nothing in the movie mattered at all and the movie was only made so they could have another costumed guy for infinity whatever.
>>
>>87347677
Humans crave eternity. Death is an insult. Time is an insult.

Here I am, stretching one single moment out into a thousand, just to see the snow.

I have come to bargain

Trust your teacher. Don't stray from the path.

It was never about you.
>>
>>87347726
What? There is outrage. Just because you go onto Reddit or other primarily white websites and don't see any Asians talking about it, doesn't mean there isn't. For God's sake, George Takei himself wrote an article criticizing the casting. There are many Asians responding too -- just freaking Google it and you'll see responses.
>>
>>87347635
I'm Japanese, try again shitposter.
>>
>>87347945
Anon, I think you're making the mistake of thinking that they don't know that there must be some Asian people that disapprove of the casting. saying "it's only white people who care" is just one of the things people say in discussions on this subject or race in general.
>>
>>87346088
Do... you?
Pretty sure his canon race is something like *mumble*ese
>>
>>87345979
he isnt?

what fuckubg race is he then?
>>
>>87348042
Chinese and arab. People who read this stupid shit know this.
>>
>>87346024
>>87346024
You know, we would actually be able to answer this if more asians and egyptians got into acting.

this is a very loaded question
>>
>>87347945
George Takei was also against turning Sulu gay in NuTrek because it reflected negatively on his ability to act as a straight person for a role, but that decision was met with thundering applause by the tumblr crowd.
I'm sorry and he does have a point in both cases, but as I said - You can't win with these people.
>>
>>87346585
What doesn't Scarjo play these days? She's approaching Nic Cage levels of annoying market saturation.
>>
>>87348042
Ra's Al Ghul was originally a black man. It wasn't until recent times that DC decided to whitewash the character and potray him as arab in all of his past comics.
>>
>>87348118
Difference being that nic cage is fun to watch.
>>
File: Ra's_al_Ghul_0004.jpg (194KB, 720x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Ra's_al_Ghul_0004.jpg
194KB, 720x1024px
>>87345979
probably because despite his nationality, he still looked pretty Caucasian, so it could work out if he had the right voice and look
>>
>>87347945
I'll tell you as I tell them.

Go bitch about not enough white guys in chinese films. That's what you're doing here. Bitching about no minorities in a majority country.
>>
>>87348139
>Ra's Al Ghul was originally a black man
lol
>>
>>87348139
WE WUZ LEAGUE OF SHADOWS N SHIEET
>>
>>87346671
Mostly agree, with one caveat: if an actor of a different race would be amazing in that role, then a creator shouldn't feel like they can't race swap. I believe Iris, whom you mentioned, was only cast as black because Joe West's actor was a perfect fit for his role.
>>
>>87347947
>Being a dog
Neck yourself.

>>87348065
I looked it up and there's really no clear answer. I'm seeing people say he's Chinese/Arabic, Japanese/Arabic, White/Chinese/Arabic, White/Arabic, fully Arabic, and fully white.
>>
>>87348178
Read a comic. He's chinese/arab.
>>
File: 1477703273485.jpg (8KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
1477703273485.jpg
8KB, 205x246px
>>87348139
sh-shut up Boco
>>
>>87348178
Butthurt shitposter mad about Japanese immigrant. Neck yourself whitey. We don't need you virtue signaling on Tumblr every day.
>>
>>87348171
But... there's a lot of Chinese films with white characters. Do you even watch them? But they're usually, well, almost always, depicted as being businessmen from America or England.

>>87348219
>me
>white
Pick neither. After your done raping babies, neck yourself, Jap dog.
>>
He wasn't the original Ra's. Ra's was a name passed on in the Nolanverse.
>>
>>87346842
Hey, that does a disservice to that character! You make it sound like Talia is vapid and dumb and her only purpose is fucking Batma- oh. ohhhhhhh
>>
File: 1477697500104.png (18KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1477697500104.png
18KB, 633x758px
>>87348197
Fuck wrong thread
It just keeps getting worse
>>
>>87348196
thats a very unique pairing, but the way he looked in the comics and such i dont see how Neeson was a bad cast at all, he can pass as that
>>
>>87348196
It would help if you posted a scan instead of just telling them to read "a comic". I don't even remember where it was said that he was also Chinese though admittedly I've only read that comic where he had the other secret daughter and some of trinity
>>
>>87348246
Mia Khalifa, on the other hand, seems like a sympathetic person in her BTS footage.
>>
>>87348178
This is how we can tell you know nothing of the subject. Read the related comics for once.
>>
File: aoe2hd.jpg (87KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
aoe2hd.jpg
87KB, 360x240px
>>87348173
>>87348176
>pic related was Ra's original appearance
>>
>>87348240
>But... there's a lot of Chinese films with white characters. Do you even watch them? But they're usually, well, almost always, depicted as being businessmen from America or England.
And usually villains and/or sidekicks.

Yet asians bitch about the same thing.
>>
>>87345979
They turned Ancient One into a woman. SJW's still find a reason to complain.
If Marvel had let him be an old Asian man, nobody would have complained. Us traditionalists would be happy because our source material wasn't messed with, at least as far as that character was concerned, and SJW's would not complain because Ancient One's Asian.
Dumb Marvel, very dumb.
>>
>>87348367
And yet, Tilda is pretty damn based in the role.
>>
>>87345979
Nobody cares because Liam Neeson is an incredbile actor and captured the daunting, wise, chilled presence of Ra's, and to most people, its more import to capture the character of a character than it is to capture its skin character.

It's worth noting that the Ancient One "outrage" has gone down now that more people have seen her in the material that's been released thus far.
>>
ITT: white people rationalize that race doesn't matter when a non-white character gets race swapped to white

In this very same thread,the very same white people feel victimized when a white character gets race swapped, and race suddenly is important to the character.
>>
>>87348396
I didn't give a fuck about him or his character in the movie. He looked and acted and spoke like a white brit, like in every fucking movie he's ever been in.
>>
>>87347799
Don't forget Kaecillius unintentionally paraphrasing Strange.

This is what a smart action film looks like. Not a GENIUS action film, but it has solid themes woven into its narrative and it delivers them extremely well.

It was never about you.

Genuinely a moment of high catharsis. I'm really impressed by how much I cared there and how much the film managed to make it mean.
>>
>>87348392
She's a good actress.
But I don't care. That's not the Ancient One I wanted.
>>
well the thread seems to have trended the usual roads of bullshit but since everyone's here I would like to pose a question: do you think they changed the ancient one because he is Tibetan and thus a threat to the coveted Chinese market?
>>
>>87348392
Haven't seen the movie, and she is a very good actress, but I'm almost positive you think she did a good job as the ancient one only because it was tilda. Same reason why I'm guessing you think Hopkins was amazing in Thor 1 and 2.
>>
>>87348615
She's honestly better than the Ancient One I wanted.

I expected only disappointment when I went in. Turned out she was far more interesting than any version of the Ancient One in the comics, and far more interesting than what I'd probably have put in the film if I'd have my way. Doctor Strange was a pretty humbling experience actually, since every change I thought would be bad turned out to be for the better.

I doubt you'd care if you're a true hardliner, but really, she's just a better character than comics TAO.
>>
>>87348560
>Liam Neeson
>Brit
>>
>>87348637
Yes, both the director and the screenwriter have said they changed his race because of chink money.

Marvel isn't about artistic integrity.
>>
>>87348652
Not that guy, but I don't think Hopkins was great in Thor 1 (no idea about Thor 2), and I thought Tilda was excellent here.

Hopkins wasn't bad in Thor 1 but he barely had any chance to shine either way.
>>
>>87348671
For me, Marvel has become synonymous to disappointment.
Every time I hear something new from Marvel, I feel disappointed.
Dr. Strange is no exception. So I won't go to see it.
>>
>>87348786
Just do I what I do, watch cam rips. It's not like the movies have amazing cinematography.

Been doing that since Avengers 2. Gonna start doing it to DC movies too after I saw SS.
>>
>>87348560
1. He's not a brit
2. You want him to not look white? That's your complaint about his acting ability? That he plays his own race?
>>
>>87348832
>seeing the sole genuinely visually interesting Marvel film via camrip

Just have some discernment. I don't know how the hell you thought you were going to get some amazing cinema experience with Ant-Man.

Even the people that really liked that film only really enjoyed it for its tongue and cheek stuff.
>>
These people who want Doctor Strange, the Ancient One and/or Iron Fist to be Asian don't seem to realize it's going into stereotypes of kung fu Asian and mystical magic monk Asian.
>>
>>87350192
dangerous reasoning. Being so afraid of a stereotype that you invent a iron clad rule that's probably isn't going to help anything. I mean does that even sound reasonable? Asian martial artist/mystics are stereotypes so now NO Asian can be either of those things ever. Also Asian iron-fist is a completely different issue. though Since Strange looked almost identical to the ancient one in his first few appearances I can understand that argument.
>>
>>87345979
I AM RA'S AL GHUL AND I'M HERE TO SAY
Thread posts: 160
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.