[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is his personality?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 13

File: image.jpg (19KB, 188x268px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 188x268px
What is his personality?
>>
>>87343899
Relucant Superman
>>
>>87343899
>What is his personality?

This is the fourth time I've seen this attempt at discussion. Where is this meme from?
>>
>>87343899
I assumed the theme was that his personality was flexible but his skin wasn't.
>>
Stern grumpy black man guy dude.
>>
>>87343993
Probably originates from the fact that he has none
>>
>>87343993
I didn't know this was a meem. Just saw all the praise for Cage, and was abit confused, as he's kinda well... boring.

And, I hate that he's not from Harlem anymore. Where's the contrast with Danny?
>>
>>87343899
>really full of himself
>tries to be egotistic but always ends up helping people anyway
>usually decides things on the spur of the moment

At least that's what I could gather from the show.
>>
>>87344116
Oh and that whole "hard guy on the outside, soft guy on the inside" thing they did in the relationship plots.
>>
>>87344012
>>87344084

I've seen it with Supergirl, Wonder Woman and Tim Drake so I assumed it was a new shit /tv/ meme like What did he mean by this?
>>
>>87343899
Laid back, bit of a hermit, warm and helpful but reluctant to be a "hero".
Has a strong sense of justice and has been wronged severely, which has made him a tiny bit tense.
He's a nice guy to be around, friendly, but stern if need be.
He's careful not to hurt people in general, but also direct when needed.
He's a good person.
>>
>>87343899
Black
>>
>>87344228
That seems to annoy some. He's a good person doesn't talk like a street hood or act like a thugga.
>>
>>87344084
>Just saw all the praise for Cage, and was abit confused, as he's kinda well... boring.

I don't think it's an inherently bad thing that he's "boring", it fits into his "every day guy standing up for what's right" persona.
>>
>>87344228
Sounds like he was written solely to be attractive to women in general.
>>
File: 1470444963711.jpg (39KB, 400x310px) Image search: [Google]
1470444963711.jpg
39KB, 400x310px
>>87344294
>that seems to annoy some

The only thing that annoyed me was how Luke Cage was the only character on the show too good to be called a nigga. That is just such a white man's look on black interaction. Every other black character on the show is called/calls others niggas except for the three "Fine Black Folk (just like us, hey!) from the Barbershop".
>>
>>87344336
Your preconceptions are showing.
>>
>>87344369
no, they old guys were just old enough to dislike the term. Understandable.
>>
http://www.gq.com/story/the-man-who-saved-luke-cage?mbid=social_twitter

Somewhere PHG is crying in a corner.
>>
>>87344391
What do you mean?
>>
He's pissed. Royally pissed.
>>
>>87344487
PHG?
>>
>>87344725
/co/'s resident pressed Luke cage stan. He who harkens back to Luke's 70's days.
>>
>>87344804
Uh... what?
>>
>>87345006
He's a Trip-Anon that loves 70's era Cage, but hates Modern Cage as he thinks Bendis ruined him, by hooking him off with his OC. Better?
>>
>>87345062
Much better! Thanks.
I always wonder about those who're stuck in an "age" - I like both the old blackspoitation Cage and the more moderate modern Cage.
The character is flexible enough to survive the changes time will invariably bring.

I do disagree with the whole "man who saved cage" thing - Cage never needed saving, like all the other Marvel characters he's changed throughout the years. I do like what Bendis did with him, I do like what Bendis does, well - not all of it and he tends to be a bit long winded.
Now he's mostly repeating himself of course.
>>
>>87344369
I didn't mind the whole "He doesn't use the N-Word thing", I just didn't like how he seemed to lecture people.
>>
>>87345174
I much prefer Walker's Cage to Bendis/MCU Cage. He actually seems to have a personality for one.
>>
>>87344262

He is as far from Black as you can possibly get.
Works 2 jobs.
Is not a nigger.
Has a tiny penis.
>>
>>87346963

>Has a tiny penis

Oh, I disagree anon. I strongly....disagree.
>>
>>87343899
He honestly didn't really have one. His personality from the comic would be troubling if they had used it. Still dug the show though.
>>
>>87343899

Harlem's Captain America
>>
>>87347349

He does have a tiny penis.
You think Misty was satisfied? She ran away from him and never wanted to try the experience again.
Luke realized this and didn't want to show his tiny penis to the wonky-eyed nurse.

Jessica likes the tiny penis because the purple man once shoved a baseball bat up her vagina when she gave him that bitch face of hers.
>>
>>87343899
HE'S A FUCKING BLACK MALE!
>>
>>87347510

Then why was I satisfied, anon?
>>
>>87347695
Because he's black, you faggot cuckold.
>>
>>87343899
Captain Harlem.
>>
>>87347438
David Walker shows you can have a Luke that similar to his 70's personality, without it being offensive.
>>
File: cc6.png (253KB, 283x427px) Image search: [Google]
cc6.png
253KB, 283x427px
>>87347720

Can't tell if you're picking the low hanging fruit to continue with the joke or if that actually triggered you
>>
>>87347805
david walker offends me
>>
File: ppca.jpg (586KB, 1200x1871px) Image search: [Google]
ppca.jpg
586KB, 1200x1871px
I assume you a referring to the comics. Luke is extremely affected. He tries to present himself as a hardened street tough but during his time a hero for hire is really paid due to him refusing to accept payment. Also believes strongly in redemption and reinvention for obvious reasons considering his origin
>>
>>87344012
or the fact that it is the samefag doing the same thread/post.
>>
File: image.jpg (26KB, 500x279px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 500x279px
Colter says Luke doesn't see himself as a black hero, but instead a hero that "happens to be black". For some reason, I think that Comic!Cage would disagree. It's also funny Colter says that when in the show he's a pastor's son from Georgia, who attended the military, became a cop, was framed and went to prison, then ended up in the Black American culture hub of freaking Harlem. Luke's also up on his Harlem Renaissance literature and history. He's like Black Americana wrapped up in one Superhero package. But, he doesn't see himself as a "Black hero"? hmmm OK Mike Colter.
>>
>>87345985

This. Felt very Bill Cosbyish
>>
>>87348929
To add: This isn't The Falcon weren't talking about, or War Machine, but Luke freaking Cage. Pretty sure Rhodney even called Luke a "Thug" in the latest run. Which is pretty damn loaded.

>Was Colter the best pick for Cage?
>>
>>87349016
>Pretty sure Rhodney even called Luke a "Thug" in the latest run.

yes that was a strange choice and not what I would expect from rhody
>>
>>87348956
Made all the way worse, because in the comics he's one of them, a former street kid who got involved with the wrong crowd. If that was the case, I think it would be more in the form of a conversation. Unfortunately, MCU Cage is an outsider to that life and he's not even from Harlem. So, it seems like he's talking down to them in a lecture. Very old black man conservative style. I understand where the criticism of "respectalitity politics" comes from.
>>
>>87346963
OH god how I pity you yanks and your simpleminded, racist stupidity.
You're beyond redemtion as a culture.
The only redeeming feature about your entire existence is your production of entertainment.
>>
File: powerman+-+house+ad.jpg (1MB, 1085x1600px) Image search: [Google]
powerman+-+house+ad.jpg
1MB, 1085x1600px
Classic Power Man had this cool dichotomy between his true self and his alter ego where as Power Man he was outwardly a stone cold authoritarian strongman, but underneath that he was a lonesome, contemplative man who was forced by the world to encase his heart in steel.

A major aspect of his stories were also about the struggles of being the owner of a small independent business, which was always very interesting to me. Luke Cage operating Heroes for Hire as a private security agency is one of the more unique aspects of his mythos. I don't know why it's the first thing dismantled in his modern incarnations. I don't think his mercenary attitude towards heroism detracts from his moral character
>>
>>87349707
I just fucking miss 70s/80s Marvel, goddamn. It just isn't the same anymore. I hate seeing this cool assistance characters ruined in modern interpretations.
>>
File: tve15.jpg (460KB, 720x1073px) Image search: [Google]
tve15.jpg
460KB, 720x1073px
>>87349819
Cool ASS characters, I meant to say, not cool assistance characters
>>
>>87348929
The biggest problem with the show is that it expects you to hold certain characters in high regards without ever developing those characters so you would hold them in high regard.
The worst one I can think of is Mariah, everyone tells me she's a strong female character and I don't believe it. She never actually chooses to do anything, most of the time it's either someone tells her what to do or encourages her to do something. I was on the lookout for that but through the entire show it's either Cotton Mouth telling her what to do, Shades telling her what to do, Diamondback telling her what to do or her assistant encouraging her to do something. The only episode where she does anything by herself is when she kills Cotton Mouth and even then he's egging her on .

All this versus Claire who is a much stronger character simply due to the fact that she chooses what to do. But I didn't like her as much in this show because she's slowly becoming hyper-competent which is what you do when you can't figure out how to write a character well.

Also was I the only one laughing at the end of ep.12 when Diamondback shows up in his complete 70's inspired supersuit to fight Luke for no other reason than the script demanded a fight scene? And why was Bobby there? Didn't Luke tell Claire to hide him?

The most important thing is that the writing failed the show, I looked it up and there's 12 writers for 13 episodes. Taking back obvious glory spots like JRjr. that's still way too many writers working too far apart to have a consistent tone and theme.

>>87349707
You know all the 2nd season of Luke Cage would have to be is Luke running Heroes for Hire like a small business and all the headaches that surround that.
>>
>>87349707
I never got the distaste for his hero for hire shtick. There was a clip from a doc on black comics in which its discussed as it marred Luke, and displayed him as morally lacking in contrast to white heroes. I find the business model to be quite pragmatic. Being a troubleshooter through legal channels, allows for people to access you, and hand waving the police or even collaboration with them would be a lot easier.
>>
>>87350211
>I find the business model to be quite pragmatic. Being a troubleshooter through legal channels, allows for people to access you, and hand waving the police or even collaboration with them would be a lot easier.
Totally agree on legal means. Is it possible to set up a private investigations and protection firm as a nonprofit though?
>>
>>87350128
I don't understand how Willis can go from boxing with Luke as a kid and having good rapport, to a moustache-swirling villain who hates his guts when they're adults. Their basic explanation of "Daddy didn't love me!" seemed weak.

>12 writers

Really? That many? Maybe some collabed and only wrote parts and on one person to a script.
>>
>>87350128
That's how I feel Power Man should have been developed as a character this entire time, growing his small business into a growing and ever developing private security company that contracts all kinds of eccentric jobs. I can literally imagine dozens of stories just based upon that, imagining what kinds of people and places would need such services and why, the conflicts Luke would have with the people hiring him and facing the threats he's been hired for. He could develop his company to the point of employing a team of security officers under him and having an all around expanded range of operations.

It's so baffling that all of the modern versions of Power Man immediately take away Heroes for Hire from him, when that company is such a big part of who he is. It's not just a job, it's his craft and his livelyhood.
>>
>>87350308
*and not
>>
>>87350346
I guess it doesn't seem "altruistic" enough, for a Superhero.
>>
>>87350481
he could just refuse pay like he did in the comics
>>
>>87350211
That's such a ridiculous notion. A huge part of what made Luke Cage such a complex and interesting man was seeing him act outwardly hard hearted and utilitarian about his mercenary endeavors, then coming to face situations in which he had to do what he knew in his heart was right as the expense of money. Besides that, I would even make the claim that he's doing more operating as the Hero for Hire than as another vigilante. With the Hero for Hire system, he is immediately taken into an ongoing conflict that needs resolution rather than needing to stumble upon it. His business always people to bring their issues directly to him in a reasonable fashion unlike someone who operates like Spider-Man. You will always be able to find Power Man, but you'll likely never be able to find Spider-Man.

All these people are suggesting is that they should make Power Man a less morally complex and less interesting character who more or less operates like every other superhero.
>>
File: oop.jpg (1MB, 1170x1764px) Image search: [Google]
oop.jpg
1MB, 1170x1764px
>>87350596
but he like every other superhero he's just for hire
>>
>>87350481
It all depends on how you write the story. Personally, I feel like it makes him far more interesting to on the surface act like a cold as ice mercenary, but through his adventures we see his altruistic heart shine through in moments in really counts.

>>87350552
The man has to make a living, there's nothing wrong with getting paid. That's what makes Luke Cage such a good character, he identified his skill set and created his own business out of it. It's not like he's greedy, he's just taking care of himself and building a life. Sure, he has a taste for expensive custom tailored clothing, but nobody said the man was a monk who lives in poverty.

At most, they could write him as having malleable rates that he adjusts to what people can afford.
>>
>>87350211
>>87350303
Yea I don't get the distaste for it either, it makes sense especially in an era where no one had a reliable method of contacting the Avengers for super-problems. Sure the police might be able to help but how many crank calls do they get where someone sees Skrulls in their basement vs the number of times there are actual Skrulls in the basement?
Besides in the comics 9 times out of 10 he refused payment or accepted whatever the people could afford.
It's like thinking Daredevil is evil because he runs a law firm.

>>87350308
You can tell just by watching it the first 4 episodes are written by the same person, then 5 and 6 had at least new collaborators and the rest of the series seems to switch tone every 2 episodes.
"Whatchu talking 'bout Willis" was like a slap in the face for me since, up to that point, Shades was a more successful Grima Wormtounge than funnyman

>>87350346
I agree and disagree, because I liked the idea of him just coming in as a random person with powers trying to do the right thing and I expected after his funeral speech that he would realize he can't do everything himself, start to branch out and rely on others. I saw episode 6 being the turning point for him, instead the rest of the show happened.
I'm waiting to see if the Defenders takes that concept and expands it out some or you know we'll get the Upper Borough Avengers.
>>
>>87350770
he lived in a beat up apartment above a movie theater and he did turn down pay, that wasn't a suggestion. Pre-ironfist team-up he got paid like twice.
>>
Luke's original costume gets a lot of flack, but wasn't it explicit in the issue it first showed up in, that he knew what he was doing when he selected it?
>>
>>87350847
No superhero should be just some random person. They should each be exceptional individuals who are elevated beyond others in more ways than simply having powers.
>>
File: 22.jpg (1MB, 2214x1380px) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
1MB, 2214x1380px
>>87350883
I guess? I don't even see what's so goofy since it's just a regular cloths and some boots. It actually looks cool in some illustrations
>>
>>87351049
The dude is a straight up entrepreneur.
>>
File: luke-cage-hero-for-hire-1-3.jpg (529KB, 914x1380px) Image search: [Google]
luke-cage-hero-for-hire-1-3.jpg
529KB, 914x1380px
>>87351049
It's a pretty fucking cool look honestly. There's no reason it should be mocked more than other costumes.
>>
>>87350770
See, this sounds good.
>>
>>87351049
Source for right pic, pls. Daredevil?
>>
>>87351206
Daredevil - Cage Match. I barely remember it save for the cover which means it probably isn't that good, but he I'm just some dude on the internet so you might like it.
>>
>>87351049
>>87351150
Most people mock the tiara.
>>
>>87351257
it's was a head band alright?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUhY4jfZ8bs

I think it looks cool. almost regal.
>>
>>87343899
Boring and preachy. Nothing like comic Luke
>>
>>87351309
Good eye anon, I also got that same sense of regality with it. In that same way that a crown has the symbolic connotation of denoting divine authority within the mind, Power Man's headband symbolizes his steeled mental state.
>>
>>87351255
The one where Luke and Matt have a boxing match, with Danny and Foggy as their wing men, right?

>>87351360
He's not even like Bendis!Cage, and he's getting all the praise for changing Luke. FFS, I can't even imagine MCU Cage wearing a doo-rag. Probably to hook for him.

Do you even think MCU Luke and Comic Luke would get along?
>>
>>87351676
>The one where Luke and Matt have a boxing match, with Danny and Foggy as their wing men, right?

yeah
>>
>>87351676
*hood
>>
File: cg.jpg (431KB, 1011x1485px) Image search: [Google]
cg.jpg
431KB, 1011x1485px
>>87351676
>Do you even think MCU Luke and Comic Luke would get along?

begrudging acceptance maybe. similar talking points but different attitudes. Plus comic cage is way more likeable
>>
>>87351676
Dunno. As has been noted MCU Luke is a very Captain America variant of Luke Cage. Which was both a creation of the actor and the production.

I like him as I think he fits for MCU. Its a place that is in darkness with a even greater darkness on the horizon and these are the guys on the street trying to fight back.

This version of Luke Cage is going to not get along with Daredevil or Punisher (though that latter nobody gets along with Frank, cept that one comic.)
>>
>>87351744
Though so.

>When will we get those corny one-shot comics, again?
>>
>>87349679
fuck you buddy
>>
He's a big guy.
>>
Did you guys like this show? I've seen nothing but good reviews for it but I thought it was really boring, shitty acting, convoluted plot, characters constantly did dumb shit, bad guy was forgettable, fight scenes were too slow, and finale felt like they got bored of writing the show
>>
File: 1477698182452.jpg (56KB, 807x509px) Image search: [Google]
1477698182452.jpg
56KB, 807x509px
>>87349679
I don't think this site is for you anon
>>
File: cagebluemarvel.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
cagebluemarvel.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
>>87344084
>And, I hate that he's not from Harlem anymore

this
>>87344294
>He's a good person doesn't talk like a street hood or act like a thugga

No, it's that he isn't as flawed as Daredevil or Jessica Jones or even his fucking comic counterpart.>>87347438
>His personality from the comic would be troubling if they had used it.

Maybe the 70s one, but the modern version by Bendis was still street smart and smooth and not corny like the Netflix version.

Honestly, fuck the showrunner. I'm sure he only got the position because he's black (I'm saying this as a black guy). His credentials are nowhere near as good as the people running the show and his writing staff are full of inexperienced writers. And he personally twisted Luke to fit what he wanted to see rather than sticking to the source material

https://twitter.com/cheo_coker/status/783716565975916545

Fuck him

>>87344369
>That is just such a white man's look on black interaction

Probably because the showrunner Cheo Coker grew up around all white people. He's mentioned before that he was the only black kid in his class and the only connection he had was listening to rap music.

>>87349016
This. This so much. It makes no sense with the character they're using. Luke isn't just any black hero, he's the URBAN black hero. He's supposed to be from the streets. This characterization would fit someone like Falcon or War Machine better. They essentially turned him into Blue Marvel without the science expertise.
>>
>>87350346
>That's how I feel Power Man should have been developed as a character this entire time, growing his small business into a growing and ever developing private security company that contracts all kinds of eccentric jobs

That's actually a really great take. Plus you could make it less "merc" by having him donate some of his money to charity and giving back to the community.

I think the whole saving the H4H for Season 2 could've worked. It's just the elements we got changed from the comic affected the portrayal of Cage that we got.
>>
>>87343899
he is a jedi
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.