[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Doctor Strange

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 299
Thread images: 24

Just came back from seeing the movie. What do you wanna know ?
>>
>>87228672
If you are a colossal sack of assholes
>>
Why was BvS so good?
>>
>>87228672
If anyone know what you did last summer
>>
>>87228729
I most certainly am not.

>>87228745
Because Batfleck.
>>
>>87228672

can someone finally say what fucking incantations Strange uses from the comics in the movie?

Any mystical artifacts refrenced besides the Eye of Agomotto?
>>
What scene was the best in suicide squad?
>>
>By the hoary hosts of hoggoth!

Does he say it?
>>
>>87228813
Nope
>>
>>87228791
He makes no incantations whatsoever in the movie.

>>87228795
The end credits, when the pain ended.

>>87228813
He does not.
>>
>>87228672
Was the popcorn good? Did you get butter?
>>
>>87228847 i got me a beer actually.
>>
>>87228791
For the mystical artifacts, they reference the staff of the Living Tribunal, the wombat-something i don't really remember, also the boots of someone i don't remember either.
>>
>>87228857
noice
>>
>>87228839

so we don't see Bolts of Balthak? Demons of Denak? Shield of Seraphim? Rings of Raggador? Flames of the Faltine?
>>
>>87228881
Bogata. Bumbasta. Bibmblesnitcher
>>
>>87228847
I never get popcorn at the movies, I eat before like a real human being.
>>
>>87228881

so they ever mention the Vishanti at all?
>>
>>87228902
Maybe we do but he never names the spells, just makes the moves
>>
>>87228881
So, none of the famous ones like DarkHold (though I presume that is running wild and not at Kamar Taj) or the Serpent's Crown?
>>
How many end credits scenes?
>>
>>87228930
Agamotto is mentioned of course, but not the others.
>>
>>87228672
If you could sum the movie up in three words, what would they be?
>>
>>87228957
Nope, no Serpent's Crown, no DarkHold either.
>>
>>87228969

>>87228995
LSD. Epic. Cosmic testicles.
>>
Any MCU references?
>>
>>87229020
>>87228957
Darkhold is currently on AoS
>>
>>87228672
was it good?
>>
>>87228839
>He makes no incantations whatsoever in the movie.
is this true?

if this is true i might just drop the movie
>>
>>87229147

There's a reference to an army colonel who fell from great heights in an armor and shattered his spine (War Machine obviously), also the Avengers, the multiverse, and of course the infinity gems.
>>
>>87229209
Don't. It's agreat movie
>>
>>87228672
Was it good? Would you recommend it on its own merit rather than "it's MCU so I have to see it"?
>>
So was that Nico in that trailer?
>>
>>87229255

My only complaint was it felt a bit rushed, probably edited down for time, but other than that it does the character justice and has action scenes where you actually care about the outcome which no other capeshit series seems to get right.
>>
>>87228881
>wombat-something
Wand of Watoomb?
>>
>>87229156
Where ? In the last episode ?

>>87229204
I liked it because it was visually astonishing. Story was ok, not great but a good introduction to magic and other dimensions.

>>87229209
Yes it is. But it wasn't very shocking to be honest, it kinda goes well with the action scenes.
>>
>>87229255
Best MCU movie yet
>>
How does Dormmamu look and does it imply he will become a reoccurring villain?
>>
Does the film take place over a number of years, starting pre-IM1, like was rumored?
>>
>>87229255
Yeah, it was good overall.

>>87229304
Maybe yeah.
>>
>>87229327
No.
>>
>>87229313
The Darkhold, along with Robbie Ghost Rider, are the focus of the current season. Both SHIELD and pissed off ghosts are looking for it
>>
Is the villain Malekith-tier forgettable or does Mads salvage him a little?
>>
>>87229315

He's a big purple face coming out of a universe wide clump of floating testicles. He'll be wanting to come back for revenge after the ending.
>>
>>87229335
How quickly does he become Sorceror Supreme then?
>>
>>87229353

Mads sells a guy who's not really got evil intent, he's just a zealot for his beliefs and you'll never be able to talk him around from it, but he might talk you over to his side if you're not careful.
>>
File: Ego.png (174KB, 519x567px) Image search: [Google]
Ego.png
174KB, 519x567px
>>87229354
>He's a big purple face coming out of a universe wide clump of floating testicles.
?
>>
>>87229386
Does he die? If he does, is Mads Dormmamu?
>>
File: Doom and Valeria.jpg (400KB, 988x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Doom and Valeria.jpg
400KB, 988x1500px
>>87229386
>a guy who's not really got evil intent, he's just a zealot for his beliefs and you'll never be able to talk him around from it, but he might talk you over to his side if you're not careful.

Mads really should've been Doom then.
>>
>>87229315
Dormammu will probably be the most controversial thing in the movie. It's the "galactus effect". It's a cosmic entity so they sort of did a big head in space.
>>
>>87229242
People have said that was the Hammer tech incident from Iron Man 2.
>>
Hearing how it was ultimately reduced into another comedy ruined the appeal of it to me.
>>
File: planes.jpg (191KB, 900x688px) Image search: [Google]
planes.jpg
191KB, 900x688px
>>87229403
More like pic related except everything's purple for some reason.
>>
>>87229549
I suspect they will have him adopt a more physical form in the sequel.
>>
>>87228672
Will old logan movie be good?
>>
>>87229423

Mads is an acolyte of Dormmamu who wants to allow him to absorb our universe so everyone living in it can achieve immortality by bonding with him, at least that's what he's promised, since Dormmamu is from a dimension where time doesn't exist and he sustains himself on other universes that can produce natural life. He's sort of Galactus but instead of eating planets he eats entire universes.

Ending spoilers: Dr. Strange realizes that if there's no time in Dormmamu's dimension he can use time against him. He travels there and uses the time gem to create a time loop of a few moments to torment Dormmamu who's completely disorientated experiencing time for the first, well, time. They have a battle of wills where Dormmamu kills Strange over and over and over again for fuck knows how long but Dormmamu breaks before him and makes a bargain that he will spare Strange's universe and prevent his acolytes from interfering with it and Strange will release Dormmamu from the loop. So Dormmamu closes the portal to Earth but not before taking Mads over to his universe, presumably to punish him for eternity for failing him and allowing Strange to troll the fuck outta him.

>>87229444

He should have. It was a similar character to his Hannibal, a guy who considers himself beyond good and evil and wants to seduce people to his amoral point of view.
>>
>>87229601
When he said a giant purple face in space, my first thought was Ego, not Dormammu. Which leads us to >>87229549.
>>
>Strange doesn't say "Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth"
>Dormammu gets the Parallax/Galactus treatment
Hm
>>
How was the Ancient One?
>>
Is Mordo's heel turn set up?
>>
>>87229688

He looks like >>87229403 amongst >>87229601 basically.

At first I thought it was meant to be a version of Thanos since he kinda looks like him and is a big purple bellowing fucker.
>>
>>87229705

She's got a bit of a mean streak which I was surprised by, great performance by Tilda as always.

>>87229744

Very well in fact, he is basically in the right, he believes that you shouldn't interfere with the natural laws of the world because magic always has a price, and everything that goes wrong in the movie is due to people perverting the natural laws and thinking they can get away with not paying the price, so he wants to fight against magic by the end of the movie.
>>
>>87229701
>Dormammu gets the Parallax/Galactus treatment
I wouldn't go that far. It's still recognisably Dormammu and he's genuinely menacing rather than just "oh no it's going to be slightly overcast". He's just a giant face in the sky rather than a dude with his head on fire.
>>
File: UMvC3Dormammu06.jpg (85KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
UMvC3Dormammu06.jpg
85KB, 640x480px
>>87229752
Does he look like a jack o'lantern at least or is his face human?
>>
>>87229631
I hope so too.

>>87229705
Gotta love Tilda Swinton.
>>
>>87229817

Honestly he looked a bit like Thanos but instead of just having verical slits on his chin the vertical slits are over his entire face, and they ripple across the more angry he gets. His glowing mouth and eyes are a bit jack o'lanternish.
>>
>>87229817
>the dude on the right there
That... that is not Dormammu.
That's Rorkannu, ruler of the Dank Dimension and one-time Nextwave villain.
Movie Dormammu's face is more roiling than burning.
>>
>>87229800
And how was Wong?
>>
>>87229752
So basically the animated movie version kind of?
>>
File: UD.DRSTRANGEDORMAMMU_100.jpg (180KB, 714x500px) Image search: [Google]
UD.DRSTRANGEDORMAMMU_100.jpg
180KB, 714x500px
>>87229876
>>87229884
>slits across the face
Okay, that's part of his classic look. I'm partial to the UMvC look, but alright.
>>
So was the end credit thing true with Thor visiting Strange and all that, setting up Ragnarok?
>>
>>87229884
I mean, I didn't pick the pictures on the right. When I hear "purple Dormammu", I just default to UMvC3, where that /was/ a color for him.
>>
>>87229919

He's kind of a one-note serious guy used as a straight man for comedic moments, but he does get in on the big action scene at the ending.

>>87229927
>>87229961

He wasn't firey, more gaseous, and didn't seem to have a humanoid body, just a floating face amongst all these floating testicles.

>>87229973

Yes, Strange tells Thor he doesn't want Loki on Earth, Thor says they're just looking or Odin, and Strange says he'll help if that means Loki will leave Earth faster, so I guess he'll be in the NY scenes in Ragnarok looking for hobo Odin.
>>
>>87229303
Sorry but I can't stop thinking you are a shill,social media damage control,blah blah blah,,, thanks anyway.
>>
>>87230043

so Thor and Loki were looking for Odin together? The fuck?
>>
>>87230502
Probably something like
>Thor finds out Loki's pretending to be Odin
>Where's Odin Loki?
>I dunno lol
>Help me find him or I'll beat you like the little bitch you are
>Fine, fine. Anything for my dear brother [plans to backstab intensify]
>>
>>87230412
well if he is a shill he's certainly come to the right place
>>
>>87230412

Here I'll prove I'm not: the 3D was fucking dogshit and ruined all the special effects, just a big blurry mess in the background the entire time, waste of money.

>>87230502

Yes, I guess when Loki impersonated Odin in Thor 2 he took his power and banished him to Earth, like Odin did to Thor, but now they all need to work together to deal with, well, Ragnarok.
>>
is the villain as boring as critics say?
>>
>>87230563

yeah but I mean why would Thor even bring Loki along to help? In Thor 2 at least you have the excuse of, the villain had nothing to do with Loki, and their mom got killed and Loki genuinely seemed to be bothered by that.

Why would Thor let Loki come along this time?
>>
>>87230599
>he 3D was fucking dogshit and ruined all the special effects, just a big blurry mess in the background the entire time, waste of money.

this is true of every 3D movie
>>
>>87230603
Not OP, but I got out of the movie two hours ago and I already forgot his name.
>>
>>87230603

He only really gets one scene to have a full dialog with someone (while in hot bondage gear), they probably dropped a lot of scenes with him for time.
>>
>>87230603
>>87230647
OP here, it's not that Kaecilius is boring, it's just that it's not the "real villain" of the movie. He's just a broken guy who lost his family and wants the eternal life in the dark dimension that Dormammu promised.
>>
>>87230624
Because they're up against a greater enemy.
>>
>>87230761
...wouldn't getting his family back rate higher on his list of priorities than separating himself from them forever through immortality?
>>
>>87230791

yeah and what happened last time he trusted Loki against a greater enemy?
>>
>>87229303
>has action scenes where you actually care about the outcome which no other capeshit series seems to get right.

What is guardians of the galaxy, Both hellboys, BvS days of future past and deadpool?
>>
>>87230851
>both hellboys
Still pining over the never to materialise third installment.
>>
>>87230797
I asked myself the same, but he came to Kamar Taj to heal from this, and maybe he did. But i guess he sort of lost his way along the line and then learned about the dark dimension and then you know. Yeah I'm not really convinced myself of that explanation.
>>
Saw the movie

Favorite part without spoiler is :

"DORMAMMU, DORMAMMU, DORMAMMU, DORMAMMU, DORMAMMU !!!"

The movie is awesome, liked it a lot. That scene where Strange is falling from the building and it looks like an infinite free fall was astonishing in 3D, it was the first time I was impressed by 3D.
>>
>>87230881
Wouldn't it make more sense, like, having him confront the Ancient One to maker her bring his family back, let her refuse because causality and corrupting black magic lol, and then he turns to Dormammu because he might have the power?
>>
>>87230851

Stop talking like you're on Jeopardy and BvS was fucking terrible for that since it's painfully obvious batman and superman are fighting for no reason and wont kill each other and then they fight a cavetroll from LOTR with no motivation other than to raise the CGI bill.
>>
So should they do Dormmamu/Mordo again or just go straight to Shuma?
>>
>>87228791
>Any mystical artifacts refrenced besides the Eye of Agomotto?

The Eye of Agamotto is revealed to be the Time Stone, by the way.
>>
>>87230929
It would. It would make a lot more sense.

But basically here's what happens: he turns against the Ancient One because he learns that she harnesses the power of the dark dimension to stay alive, power that is supposed to be forbidden to every sorcerer, so he steals a forbidden ritual to get in touch with his new BFF Dormammu so he can get eternal life in a timeless dimension.

Never mentioned anything about getting his family back.
>>
>>87229876
sounds like it could be good. Better than literally a fucking giant cloud.

All that matters to me is that the movie is good
>>
>>87230850
Thor is not a clever man.

Also he has a massive blind spot when it comes to his brother.
>>
What's the deal with Nico's Mom, do we see her doing magic with the staff of one?
>>
>>87231151

last time he said "if you betray me I will kill u"
>>
>>87231036
Yeah but this was obvious before the movie even came out, it's the evident tie-in to cosmic/magic MCU.
>>
>>87231087
>big sister's got the better toys
>if I take them from her that'll teach her

Sigh. It's Malekith all over again.
>>
>>87231097
It is, I'm not the biggest fan of Strange, but I'm a fan of the guy, still have a lot to read about him.

I'm only upset about the fact there is not even one incantation. I'm pretty sure Feige said they wouldn't be pussies, and use them... But if you think about it, Strange doesn't use any real spells ... Only that whip and the shield thing. He still has a lot to learn. Maybe in the sequel I hope !
>>
>>87231281
Yeah that's what I was thinking... Even if he is Sorcerer Supreme by the end of the movie, he's still a freaking newbie, so i have hope that he will say them in the near future.

Actually I hoped he would incant for the last decisive spell with the Eye of Agamotto, but no :(
>>
>>87229653
Just like my american comic books!
>>
The worst part of this movie is that magic basically means "is a ninja" for everyone apart from Strange.

The best part is Doctor fucking Strange. And it has a great finish.
>>
>>87230987
The clip at the end of the movie sets up a future confrontation with Mordo. Conversely, the bargain Strange strikes with Dormammu at the end is that he'll stay away from Earth.
>>
Finale spoiler, so don't read this if you don't want the end of the movie spoiled. I'm just back from watching it too and I loved it. It ends with a trick, not a fight. Strange uses the Eye of Agamotto, which is the Time Gem, to bind himself to an endless time loop and carries it inside the normally timeless Dark Dimension. There's a watch motif throughout the film and he actually wears the time loop around his wrist like a watch. Dormammu can and does kill Strange effortlessly as many times as he likes, but the time loop just starts over again. Eventually Dormammu agrees Strange's deal to leave Earth alone to end the loop.
>>
Is this really as bad as Green Lantenr?
>>
>>87229653
Taking Mads' was part of the deal.

>>87229569
I think like the quips are definitely the weakest parts of this. The movie works without them, is better in the parts without them, and none of the actors seem really into it. While they might have been trapped into that, I'd still recommend it because they definitely didn't feel trapped with effects and Cumberbatch is ultimately a very good strange.

All the mirror effects and dimensions warping is a great way to show space and time bending. What isn't great is that for most wizards magic equals a little glowing whip you can summon.
>>
Mindless Ones might be fun to see later
>>
>>87232702
Looked like they made an appearance in the final scene with mammu.
>>
>>87232330
>39/40 positive reviews, 98% RT
>lone negative review calls it as bad as Green Lantern

Yeah, I'm sure that one guy is completely right.

Also he gave negative reviews to Civil War, Deadpool (and said it's success was 'terrifying') Days of Future Past, etc.

He loved Fifty Shades of Grey though!
>>
Honest question, if I don't care for visuals and I'm tired of usual MCU schlock, should I waste my time on this? Because every review I'm seeing says "visuals are nice and it's fun" basically. Of course I'm not expecting any kind of genuine depth or even an attempt to create superfluous depth in a MCU movie but it has to more than what I'm hearing.
>>
>>87232963
If you don't care for visuals you shouldn't be watching movies full stop. This is one of the better MCU movies and at times it moves beyond schlock, but it is bound by Marvel's formulaic approach overall.
>>
>>87228839
>He makes no incantations whatsoever in the movie.
How are people even excited for this drivel then? Am I on /tv/ right now? Are there fans who want this?
Horrifying
>>
>>87232963

You've already decided you don't like it so don't bother.
>>
>>87232864
DoFP was legitimately meh though.
>>
>>87232864
>Deadpool (and said it's success was 'terrifying')
>He loved Fifty Shades of Grey though!

That's a shocking degree of faggotry.
>>
>>87233085
>If you don't care for visuals
But I do care for visuals anon, Shin Godzilla was one of the most visually pleasing movie I've seen this year. Not because it was fuckload of pretty colors and CGI, because it had a sense of style about it visually and aesthetically. It had beautiful cinematography, camera use and editing. I don't care for "visuals" in big budget Hollywood movies because they actually can't offer anything satisfying. I actually don't remember the last visually appealing big budget movie I watched. Maybe Martian, don't know.
>>
>>87233118
>You've already decided you don't like it so don't bother.
No I haven't really, I've just decided that what I've heard so far may not just be enough to give a damn about. But I'll probably go see it and make up my own mind.
>>
>>87233161

DOFP is currently at 92% RT. He's one of the negatives.

For context, the only comic movies he's given a positive review to in last 2-3 years are Ninja Turtles 2 and Ant Man, the rest are all negative.
>>
>>87233369
>Ant Man
well at least he doesn't have *completely* shit taste
>>
>>87233260
Dude you made a generic comment and now you're backtracking with some bullshit "superior tastes" elitism. I just took you at your word and answered a question, if you want to rant about a movie you haven't seen yet feel free to.
>>
>>87233566
I didn't rant about anything, I just made my point clearer. And I do have a superior taste and that's good for me and me alone, I'm at least that self aware. I just wanted to know a simple answer to a simple question and you decided to educate me on if I should watch movies or not.
>>
>>87233889
>if I don't care for visuals
>But I do care for visuals anon
Lord help you if you're this obtuse all your life, anon. Even a dog can shake hands.
>>
File: 1453905468379.gif (1007KB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
1453905468379.gif
1007KB, 250x187px
>it's another end of the world plot in a comic book movie

When did Hollywood die?
>>
>>87229744
He has a black and white view of good and evil in contrast to Kaecilius, if you use dark magic or fuck about with time you're on Mordo's shit list.
>>
>>87230761
If you lost your family isn't immortality the reverse of what you'd want?

Or maybe Kaecilius wants to live in a world without death.
>>
>>87230502
Loki may have fed Thor a bullshit story about some one deposing Odin.
>>
>>87231388
I'm surprised there was no mention of Agamoto being the first Sorcerer Supreme and being Oshtur's son as background to the Eye.

The film seems to do very little to establish the mystic universe as a whole.
>>
>>87230624
Loki is a fan favorite
>>
>>87234979
>I'm surprised there was no mention of Agamoto being the first Sorcerer Supreme
There was.
>>
>>87234088
When DW Griffith's Birth of a Nation came out.
>>
>>87230603
who care about villains. they're just a plot device. i'm sick of villain faggotry i can here to watch superheroes not some stupid edgelord
>>
>>87228672
Is it the same shit as all the other mcu films? Awkward jokes and shitty villains?
>>
So how is Dormmamu going to break the deal?
>>
>>87229045
What happens in those end credit scenes?
>>
>>87228672
Tell me, do you bleed?
>>
>>87236075
It is, in a month or so /co/ will turn on this film too, as they did Guardians of the Meme and Civil Bore.

Fucking shills, man.
>>
>>87236221
n-no...
>>
>>87236241
I'm going to give you a real shocker: People can like movies you don't like without being shills. And Civil War and GotG are still generally well liked, but they are no longer spammed about 24/7 because they aren't new anymore
>>
Honestly it was really good, really liked the fact that

They actually used Dormammu

That Dormammu was perceived as a major threat that had to be outsmarted opposed to just beaten up

Every setpiece wasn't just mindless punching, they all had some twist, ie astral projection, room spinning, time reversing. God I actually loved it thinking about it.

Everything to do with Tilda Swindon

Cumberbatch was pretty good as Strange, not sold on his American accent though.

Here's the things that kept this from being the best marvel movie out, and it was pretty bad.

Every single emotional scene was punctuated with a fucking quip. It's never really bothered me, not even in Ultron, but in this it felt like they lacked the confidence to follow through with a lot of emotional stuff and just threw in a dumb joke for laughs.
-Strange says goodbye to his girlfriend, the cloak wipes his eye
-Strange is fighting the zealots, the cloak prevents him from running in a comedic way
-Strange is outsmarting Dormammu, him repeating the same line is played for laughs
-Strange beats Madds, Wong laughs at his joke in the most forced way

Aside from that and maybe Madds being wasted I thought it was easily top 3 Marvel.
>>
>>87229303
>but other than that it does the character justice
>no incantations
I don't understand.
>>
File: IMG_20161026_141319.jpg (183KB, 1204x1402px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161026_141319.jpg
183KB, 1204x1402px
>>87228672
I just got home, just saw it, myself.

I loved it, but that's just me, joining thread to see what's up.
>>
File: 1470376030485.png (2MB, 2181x1070px) Image search: [Google]
1470376030485.png
2MB, 2181x1070px
>>
>>87232245
Did you also notice his hair turn grey during the endless looping deaths?
>>
>>87233331
Stop lying to yourself, you've already made up your mind.
>>
>>87234141
Actually, wasn't it that he now believes he's the only one responsible enough not to mess with the natural laws despite knowing how, so he has decided to hunt down ALL magic users and take their power?
>>
>>87241411
Tell us how the movie made you feel, anon.
>>
>>87241485
fuck off /tv/
>>
>>87241411
Seconding this
>>87241636
What moods did the movie conjure up?
>>
any after credit teasers?
>>
>>87241411
amusement tax? that sounds like something people would try to over throw the government for in boston.
>>
>>87241636
I loved it, a few minor niggles here and there, but overall, it works like gangbusters.

Even the awkward moments were mostly just Strange TRYING to be funny, and failing, because that was the context of those scenes. (trying to be sparse on details, here)

Also, that one scene where the cape was holding Strange back from the battle axe hanging from the wall actually made me very happy, because this current axe-wielding Strange in the comics is complete and utter shit, so it seemed more like a nod to Strange fans.
>>
>>87231281
>But if you think about it, Strange doesn't use any real spells ... Only that whip and the shield thing. He still has a lot to learn. Maybe in the sequel I hope !
Oh...The limited powers is loyal to his early appearances, but that's like EARLY early appearances. I think Strange first used the Hosts of Hoggoth in the 5th issue. I was hoping they wouldn't be that guarded about it in his first movie.
>>
Why wouldn't they use the spell names...its so iconic to the character. It's massively depressing that things like that are "too silly" for live actions but we can make his cloak a humor character.
>>
>>87241748
Everyone look at this NERD! Look at this NERD and laugh!
>>
>>87241709
hey, its still 4 bucks for a movie in a great cinema.
>>
>>87241754
Go choke on the Vapors of Valtor
>>
>>87241709
addendum: I mean, despite that tax, it still comes out to much cheaper than it did for me to watch movies, stateside.
>>
>>87236116

After the infinity gems are destroyed after Thanos gets owned.
>>
>>87241708
yes, first one sets-up Thor, the after-credits one is a setup for a direct Doctor Strange sequel.
>>
How did they handle magic? Is it really magic? Is it just advanced science shit that people can use with the help of artifacts and such? In trailers it looked really disappointing.
>>
File: 1476820544438.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1476820544438.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>87241853
>it looked really disappointing
HOW?
>>
>>87241864
What windows 98 screens average is this?
>>
>>87241864

Im talking about how people cast magic. Not le trippy cgi omg scenes.
>>
>>87241864
microverse when?
>>
>>87241748
yes truly saddening
>>
>>87241853
>Is it really magic? Is it just advanced science shit
How do you tell the difference?
>>
>>87241853
You'll take that back if you watch it.

>>87241895
It actually ties into it better this way, because Strange starts out thinking the reason he can't cast the spells is the fact that he can't get the gestures right, then that guy with one missing hand casts that same spell the others practice
>>
>>87241864

It's weird how one becomes so desensitized to gratuitous effects
>>
>>87241930

Shut up, Arthur C Clarke!
>>
>>87241898
In Antman & The Wasp.
>>
>>87241974

Did we land on that title officially?
>>
File: self portrait.jpg (36KB, 620x381px) Image search: [Google]
self portrait.jpg
36KB, 620x381px
>>87241966
Make me.
>>
>>87241934

So everyone can cast spells with enough practice and the explanation behind magic is "its magic aint gonna explain shit"? Because thats the way I wanted it to be in Thor movies but I got flak guns and hologram decoys.
>>
>>87241980
That's what the movie is called.
>>
Oh, of VERY important note: the film ends with Strange still not becoming the Sorcerer Supreme. But they establish that Steven is learning in days what others took years to master, showing an aptitude in magic that others have never seen before and that one day he'll likely earn that title.

I love that, since it opens up the possibility of one day having a Triumph and Torment story, maybe to introduce Victor Von Doom when Marvel gets FF back?
>>
>>87241995
>when Marvel gets FF back
That's never going to happen, Fox will keep that property out of spite despite only losing money with it.
Marvel should totally buy the rights to solo Hulk movies and Namor back from Universal though.
>>
>>87232245
That's really cool
>>
>>87241990
science magic is pretty cool sometimes
>>
>>87242049

Not this time though. Thor and Strange should just be magic magic
>>
>>87242010
why does universal still have the rights for hulk and namor?
>>
>>87242049

Yeah sometimes it is, but my simple brain cant put it together with gods or sorcerer supremes.
>>
>>87232245
What's this? Defeating the villain without blowing him up or snapping his neck? What nonsense is this?
>>87242064
Because negotiations haven't happened I guess?
>>
Spoil the credits scenes.
>>
>>87241990
Yeah, no devices and shit, they're called SPELLS, despite the lack of incantations, also they establish that certain spells is taking power from other realities/dimensions.

They have trinkets like the rings to open the portals, but they didn't say you can't open portals without them.

>>87242010
Hey, I'm just saying that the story is possible because he hasn't earned the title yet. If it DOES happen that Marvel gets their franchise back, they can make THAT the story of how he becomes the Sorcerer Supreme, and that introduces both Victor AND the Vishanti.

You have to remember that most causals don't really know the origins of Doctor Doom, and Triumph and Torment is a good way to establish him.
>>
>>87242066
fuck logic man
>>
>>87242084

Thats both good and disappointing. But incantations are probably too nerdy for a hollywood blockbuster.
>>
>>87242084
Triumph and Torment may be a great story anon, but it's never going to happen on film.
>>
>>87242084
fuck doctor doom though overrated villain
>>
>>87242105

and that's why I quickly get more and more tired of these watered down mass market block busters
>>
>>87242129
>Doom
>villain
Pick one. Hint: he can lift Mjölnir.
>>
>>87242084
>they're called SPELLS, despite the lack of incantations, also they establish that certain spells is taking power from other realities/dimensions.
Well, did they look varied? Was it all glowing orange energy stuff? I don't mind too much if he doesn't name the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, as long as he uses them.
>>
>>87242080
Strange talks to Thor in the Sanctum (wearing the same casual clothes he was wearing in the video where Thor is bumming about on Earth with nothing to do. Also, self-refilling beer, which Thor liked) about why he and Loki are on Earth, looking for Odin, and Steven agrees to help.

second one is Mordo going to the guy with a broken spine who is constantly channelling magic to walk, and tells him that he now understands that magic breaks the natural order and that he is the only one who doesn't give in to its temptations, deeming that he must hunt down and take the power from all magic users
>>
>>87242175
>Second one
Not muh Mordo
>>
>>87242147

Lifting Mjölnir is even more devalued than breaking Cap's shield
>>
File: Doom with Mjolnir.jpg (909KB, 1789x2750px) Image search: [Google]
Doom with Mjolnir.jpg
909KB, 1789x2750px
>>87242147
Are you talking about this? Because I haven't read it, but it seems like a trick of some sort.
>>
>>87242164
Strange knows quite basic spells and he tried to skip to an advanced spell, but he has no real practice in anything yet.

At the end of it, he has the Sanctum and the Cloak, but he has much to learn.
>>
Who voices Dormammu? Did you catch it in the credits?
>>
>>87242283
Benedict Cumberbatch
>>
>>87242241
Not sure about how long the timeskip is with his studies, though.

Also, he has picked up many books, but he hasn't tried to cast spells from those, he was caught using the eye of Agamotto
>>
Camrip when?
>>
>>87242294
>looks it up
>"director can't remember the voice, some British actor apparently"
>"but Cumberbatch did the performance capture for Dormammu"
That's actually kinda neat.
>>
>>87242318
>2016
>watching cams

for what purpose
>>
>>87242333
Because I don't like these movies enough to leave the house for them, but I want to be part of the cultural conversation.
>>
>>87242318
>>87242350

There is no way a cam is going to do this justice except to spoil yourself and ruin the fun.

At least wait for a webrip to emerge, that'll at least be enough to enjoy it.
>>
>>87242379
Nah, camrip for me. Besides it doesn't sounds like anything I haven't seen before.
>>
>>87242333
Here where I live there is no theater culture, every one talks, there is always a baby crying, ADHDs using their phones.

A camrip is usually a better experience.
>>
>>87242379
are camrips still that bad?
>>
>>87230599
aw man tell me about that one 3d centric fight sequence where strange threw a spell at the camera and it totally almost flew out into the audience
>>
>>87231167
>"if you betray me I will kill u"

with chances of redemption he meant he will force loki to kill his old ways newfag
>>
>>87242530

Varies. They can range from full potato-vision, to rivaling old TS/screener quality when shot with HD cams.

It's a total crapshoot and even the good ones suck with any scenes involving high motion or darkness
>>
File: 1448944636995.png (280KB, 477x724px) Image search: [Google]
1448944636995.png
280KB, 477x724px
it's pretty fun. fuking love the magic in this movie. kinda make Harry Potter magic looks like child play.

also can MCU Strange defeat entire MCU Avenger ? he looks stupidly op
>>
>>87233091
>How are people even excited for this drivel then

Because it has Cumberbatchcabbage in the lead.
>>
File: 1455582826871.jpg (31KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
1455582826871.jpg
31KB, 403x403px
>>87243857
Depends. Without the Eye, it will be a tough fight. But with the Eye, Strange would steamroll the Avengers.

The movie overall felt formulaic yet not formulaic at the same time when it comes to the villain. The actual big bad to me was Dormammu (because Mads Mikelsen wanted eternal promised by him, but in the end Mads got what he wanted by being absorbed by Dormammu.at least the final fight isn't really a big explosion fest
>>
>>87243857
>Harry Potter magic looks like child play
I thought it WAS child's play??

aren't those entire line of books children's books? (I don't mean in the sense that you can be belittled for reading them as an adult, but the target audience being kids who aren't too into books yet)
>>
File: 1449123625340.png (362KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1449123625340.png
362KB, 700x700px
sooo the doctor confirmed for Thor 3 ?
>>
>>87231247
>Expecting Marvel to give two shits about their villains

When will people learn? At this point I'm going to be amazed if Thanos actually has anything remotely to call a okay motivation and character.
>>
Any tentacle beasties? Or any kind of interdimensional creatures? Or is it all just Mads and his cronies.

One of the lego sets had a big tentacle thing coming through a wall, not inclined to believe lego stuff but hey
>>
>>87244236
only DormammuAlthough I think I missed Shuma-Gorath when Strange was traveling through dimensions
>>
>>87243857
strange vs iron man would be hilarious
>>
>>87229705
super cute
>>
>>87244335
Tony would be super butthurt though.

>MUH SCIENCE AND SPESS TRAUMA
>Nigga, I went to an alternate dimension and got killed all day everyday until BBEG got annoyed of killing me
>>
>He doesn't do ONE alliterative incantation
This movie sucks dick and so does MCU
>>
What about the multiverse? Do we get to see anything or is it just mentioned?
>>
>>87244386
for the first time ever i'd actually like to hear an MCU quip exchange
>>
>>87244429
He was shown around different realms
>>
>>87244450
>wanting to hear epic facial hair bro-tier shit
What the fuck is going on with /co/ this morning
>>
>>87241411
duterte
>>
>>87242175
Haven't read the whole thread, but people really seem to have missed that Strange has the yellow gloves on in that end credits scene.
It was the first thing I realized, got me hype as fuck.
>>
Do we see Nico Mom uses her staff of one in combat? Any hints of the other Runaways?
>>
>>87228672
Fellow Flipfag?

>>87229209
Yup none.

I've also just seen the movie.
General thoughts
First off spoilers were lying or edits were made this is set firmly after Civil War which bugged me due to how compressed this all makes it.
>It is visually gorgeous by far my favorite looking marvel movie, it doesn't even really have the feel
>There was about 1 joke per fight scene however the dramatic parts weren't interrupted
>No incantations nor big spells, except maybe the climax depending how you see it so that was kinda meh to me
>The action was very good and I really loved how the reality bending worked. This is really how I feel high level reality benders should battle too bad reality bending is mostly used for the purpose of changing geography but its still really cool
>Strange wasn't as much of an asshole as he should have been, although consensus among my friends is that its to avoid him become Tony, and/or turning into Sherlock
>The Climax might disappoint some, but I really liked it, but I do feel that the excitement/buildup/payoff curve wasn't as steep as it should have been
>The romance wasn't bad it was just kinda there and luckily no damsel in distress
>There were a lot of visuals and scenes from the comics

>Lastly Mordu change to evil in the after credits despite the implied timeskip was kinda random and leads me to believe that there's a lot of stuff on the cutting room floor

Also full on spoilers
End/Mid creditThor 3 plot is Loki and Thor on earth looking for a missing Odin, confirmed Loki did not kill him.
End credit is Mordu deciding magicians are evil and to kill them all

Lore
Eye of Agamoto is Time Gem. The wizards do indeed know what it really is
Living Tribunal exists, a weapon is named after it (not a special weapon). Ancient One dies. Strange is not SS at the end.

Also Stan Lee was reading a book anyone see what it was?
>>
>>87241853
It's martial arts.
>>
>>87244429
He passes through different realms. We see Dormamu's realm. And as he passes through them the colors flash to all gem colors.

MAJOR THING
While there was City destruction kinda there was no giant light beacon so yeah.
>>
>>87247448
It's The Doors of Perception, an Aldous Huxley book.
>>
>>87228672
Just watched it too. Great visual effects, okay story and characters.

Too bad there's no training montage with time skip. Also Dormammu looks like shit.
>>
>>87242129
Doom is marvel's greatest villain and haters can hate him forever but nothing will change the fact that no other "Villain" has killed more powrful beings than the Beyonders, nor has any villain SAVED ALL REALITY from a threat as dire.
>>
>>87247545
>Stan found it funny

Is her confirmed TOA? Being so far above our concept of philosophy that it's a joke to him?
>>
>>87229204
I really liked it
>>
>>87247557
Dormammu looked great, I don't know what you were huffing.

I just waned to see if they could get it right, and they did, were you disappointed that he didn't look like he did in MvC3
>>
Do we get any Rachel McAdams butt?
>>
props to the director for royally fucking up new york city in the mirror realm to the extent of mc escher lithograph on steroids while still keeping the chase scene coherent

when the ancient one summoned a celtic knot platform using tiles from manhattan subway tiles i thought shit was gonna go down

shame that didn't escalate into a bigger fight than it did
>>
just came back from watching it. Was that the Cancerverse as one of the dimensions/universes when the Ancient One takes Stephen through the dimensions the first time?
>>
>>87248290
Yes, instead of flaming dark wizard it's just big purple Cumberbatch face.

Or was he suppose to looked like that in the original comics or something?
>>
>>87228672
>>87228672
is there a quip off?
>>
>>87248291
No, and we most likely won't get anything Rachel McAdams ever again. She's like out of the picture forever. Strange choose to become full wizard and abandoned his past life.
>>
>>87248446
Fuck
>>
>>87248423
closest thing would be the initial exchange between strange and kaecillius
>and you are mister...
>doctor.
>mister doctor?
>it's strange
>i suppose

strange also has a moment with wong where he is surprised at his monomer. he lists off a bunch of other people that go by one name

>just wong? like adele?
>[silence]
>bono, beyonce, eminem
>[more silence]
>>
>>87248396
no, it was just the dark dimension.

things don't die there because everything is static, time doesn't exist on its own in that dimension.

cancerverse is nearly the same dimensional frequency of the mainline marvel universe, except they killed death, so nothing died anymore and everything kept growing, becoming dire, eldrich beings corrupted beyond hope
>>
>>87248446
>abandoning sexy times to pursue magic powers
Is Stephen Strange our guy?
>>
>>87248495
I actually liked how hard he tried to be funny to Wong but didn't even bat an eyelash, but the instant he makes a reference to a previous statement about warnings, Wong loses it.
>>
>>87244335
>facial hair bros
>>
>>87247647
It's a book about tripping on mescaline anon.
>>
>>87248547
that part went over well in my theater.

also when strange calls for christine for surgery the second time and her enthusiasm just deflates. i want strange to keep bringing her weirder and weirder patients from different realms to operate on
>>
I can't wait until 2 months from now everyone will be shitting on this movie for no reason just like every movie in the last 5 years
>>
>>87248870
why do i feel like you're trying to skip directly to that part?

just let people bask in the comfy pre-american release threads and enjoy a fun 7/10 movie with 9/10 visuals
>>
File: By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth.jpg (201KB, 960x794px) Image search: [Google]
By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth.jpg
201KB, 960x794px
>>87249063
It's nice to see people be reasonable.
>>
question about strange in the comics. does he have a power ceiling?

at the end of this first movie, he held his own against a star pupil and brought an all powerful entity to a standstill thanks to his groundhog day amulet, and i can only see him getting more powerful with time

how do you balance the guy?
>>
>>87249063
It's 8/10 for me but I feel like it's the last film that has the "Marvel movie origin story" in it.I'm just hoping Captain Marvel is something different, because that's the movie I'm worried the most about.
>>
>>87249166
honestly there's only one thing that could get me excited about captain marvel

k a m a l a
a
m
a
l
a
>>
File: doom burns torch.jpg (276KB, 692x666px) Image search: [Google]
doom burns torch.jpg
276KB, 692x666px
>>87242147
During Civil War, he couldn't. When did he become worthy?
>>
>>87249163
By having villains with even more overwhelming power.
Like Thanos, the purple grape man, who becomes literally omnipotent.
>>
>>87249222
>Civil War
Eww, gross.
>>
>>87247448
>Strange is not SS at the end.

Isn't he though? They say The Ancient One was the last SS and lament that there isn't one anymore, and then next thing we know Strange is talking about having a watchlist of alien beings to keep off of earth, as if it's his job now.
>>
>>87249270
Surely there are other sorcerers who will contest him if he tries to claim the position.
>>
File: WJSuLTJ.jpg (198KB, 1024x1602px) Image search: [Google]
WJSuLTJ.jpg
198KB, 1024x1602px
>>87249247
Yes, but Doom returning from hell and attacking the Utah crash site of Mjolnir with an army of Doombots was a neat issue.
>>
>>87247612
World be damned.
Doom endures.
>>
>>87248526
Sorcerer. Supreme.
>>
>>87249163
The Eye of Agamotto has to get rekt in time for Infinity War, so Strange and Vision will both be out of comission.
>>
>>87249219
I think Kamala is probably only going to get a cameo at best.

Though of all the newest generation of heroes she's the one I'd put money on getting a movie first.
>>
>>87249280
With Mordo on cleanup duty, I think that number will be dwindling down to 2.
>>
>>87249645
What about that waifu Strange has in the comics, whatsherface?
>>
File: sad mads.gif (951KB, 500x242px) Image search: [Google]
sad mads.gif
951KB, 500x242px
>>87229444
>>87240188
>mfw we'll never get the best actor as Doom
Mads truly was wasted in this though as just another generic villain as I feared

Other than that, the movie was great
I really dig the psychedelic mind trip and shifting worlds scenes
>>
>>87249669
Clea... maybe in a sequel.

>>87249679
If Cumberbatch can be both Smaug/Sauron and Dormammu/Strange, then surely Mads in an iron mask isn't out of the question.
>>
>>87249632
i wanna see deadpool take on a happy go lucky pink and white apprentice
>>
I thought it was a bit too easy how he learned magic so fast

it seems like any dumbass can produce at least the beginnings of a magic portal if they just wear a sling ring and try it

should have been more closely tied to his personal growth like real world eastern mystical practices claim it is, eg he's told his arrogance is holding him back from accepting he can do magic but he only gets over it when he realizes that's also what was sabotaging his relationship with McAdams, ect
>>
>>87249952
his girl problems were a symptoms of his assholery, not the cause

strange had natural latent talent. they said as much
>>
>>87230851
>BvS

Opinion immediately disregarded, as you've openly outted yourself as a troglodyte.
>>
>>87249952
Strange had untapped potential and everything was orchestrated by AO because she saw Strange's future.

Surprised Strange didnt say 'What the fuck' when the mirror dimension backfired when trying to contain Mads
>>
File: sad shocker.png (71KB, 282x223px) Image search: [Google]
sad shocker.png
71KB, 282x223px
>tfw Eurofag
>tfw still have a week to go until I see the movie
I was hoping I could take part in comfy Eurofag release threads for the movie. US of A release week will inevitably bring out the annoying shitposters.
>>
>>87244066

Pretty much, unless they cut that out, and leave a line for Thor to say "Oh, a Strange Doctor helped me."
>>
>>87252608
Youre a moviefag. You are a shit poster
>>
Dormammu! I've come to bargain!

I'd rate this as one of the MCU's high points.
>>
>>87252680
No need to get angry anon-kun, I'm a comicfag too.
>>
How come Caelus (?) thought that Doctor was Stranges' name when he clearly had a life before becoming a sorcerer and knew what a Doctor was
>>
The big minus were the jokes. Why? This movie didn't need any Beyonce jokes. What the fuck, man? Were those Dan Harmon's doing? Why would Stephen even bother mentioning Beyonce?

Wong: My name is Wong.
>Strange: Just Wong? Like Adele?
>Wong: ...
>Strange: [With shameful expression on his face] Or perhaps Aristoteles...

It should have ended there, not him name dropping every "one name pop star". (On that note, why was Madonna left out, eh?)
>>
>>87232864
>He loved Fifty Shades of Grey though!
>>
>>87252734
I'm pretty sure he was fucking with Strange.
>>
in other words, the movie sucked?
>>
>>87252802
Wong actually listening to Beyonce was fine for me. The humor definitely felt forced at a number of points though.
>>
>>87254403
Nah. 3 / 5. Fine origin film.
>>
>>87255604
and on the marvel movies scale, like from idunno... GOTG/Deadpool/whateveryouthinkisbest to absolute shit, like X-Men Origins: Wolverine? where would you put it?
>>
File: Shuma_Gorath.jpg (51KB, 500x446px) Image search: [Google]
Shuma_Gorath.jpg
51KB, 500x446px
Nothing remotely hinting at Shuma-Gorath?
>>
>>87256780

want too early

Strange isn't even Sorcerer Supreme at the end of the movie
>>
>>87249679
The guy isn't dead, he might come back.

He is just 'stored away'.
>>
>>87236163
#1 Strange meets Thor, confirming appearance/role in Thor 3.

#2 One of the good guys turns bad. Sets up Strange 2
>>
File: Doom_y_Mjolnir.png (608KB, 507x492px) Image search: [Google]
Doom_y_Mjolnir.png
608KB, 507x492px
>>87242147
No, he can't.
Thread posts: 299
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.