[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will this ever come back?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

Will this ever come back?
>>
>>87225670
I think this is a product of his time, i don't know if this show could work today.
>>
>>87225670
No
>>
>>87225670
It should
>>
>>87225708
>I think this is a product of his time
How so?
>>
>>87227012

Because the key aspects of the show were designed after issues more relevant with the time.

>>87225670
>Will this ever come back?

No. It's not the 90s anymore... unfortunately.
>>
>>87225670
reboot with a CalArts style.
>>
>>87227060

This show is a lot more indicative of the early 00's than the 90's, but yeah, I agree with you.

The main problem is that Kevin wouldn't be a social reject anymore, and the character dynamics don't work because of it.

If Kevin's a Star Trek nerd obsessed with Fantasy MMOs and getting into a good school NOW he's trendy.
>>
You actually couldn't make more episodes of Mission Hill if you wanted to keep the proper color palette intact. The show used a lot of bright neon colors that could only be done with traditional animation, and most animation software will compress the palette enough that the colors will be rather muted.

But, I mean, if you aren't too concerned about preserving the original palette then there's no reason mechanically you couldn't make more.
>>
>>87225670
>>
>>87227674
remember that episode about how news frenzies are just a big scam to grab people's attention?
the last 15 years make that episode, and the fact that nobody has ever paid attention to its very important message, fucking depressing.
>>
>>87227895
Yeah, the show would look quite a bit different if done digitally rather than traditionally, but if a really good animation studio that's mastered the art of using tweening for good (like Mercury Filmworks or Disney TVA) got a hold of it and paid a lot of attention to make it fluid and nice to look at it could probably work well in a modernized version.
The time for the revival has passed though, in like '07-'10 if it had been on streaming services it probably could have developed a bigger following and interest seeing as the general wing of subcultures that Mission HIll examined started to become a bigger part of the national conversation after the uprising of gentrification, "hipsters", and such (it's not surprise that Oakley writes for Portlandia which riffs on a lot of the same stuff). I think it's time has passed though, the sole season was 17 years ago. It's simply been too long and the audience isn't huge.
>>
>>87228511
they need a new show. just any ol' other sitcom. recycle some of the leftover mission hill scripts with different characters and setting.
>>
>>87228551
They've had other shows and pilots together since, none were successful or good. Now Weinstein's written a big chunk of Gravity Falls and does some British kids shows and Oakley writes for Portlandia, and those are the most successful things they've done since The Simpsons. They had a pilot created together announced in 2012 called 22 Birthdays but it totally disappeared.
>>
>>87228636
well now that those are over let's get them back together!
>>
>>87225670
>soft reboot
>Andy is a normal guy trying to live his life in a world surrounded by horrible SJWs and fascist hyperliberals
>>
>>87225670
Oh gawd let's hope NOT!
This POS cartoon was just as bad if not worse than Home Movies!
>>
File: tumblr_m4gj1bx0Z31r3q91b.png (5KB, 290x234px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m4gj1bx0Z31r3q91b.png
5KB, 290x234px
>>87228706
already exists in webcomic form
>>
>>87228706

>after a long day of being bombarded with over the top liberal propaganda, Andy comes home, opens a beer and crashes on the couch, looking dejected
>he turns on the TV to veg out
>first thing he finds is a poorly animated cartoon that spouts some social justice bullshit
>He groans loudly and angrily, eventually throwing his mostly full beer at the TV
>Jim walks out of his room with a confused "Hello?", then he looks down at the mess and calmly says "Oh, hey Andy."
>Andy, needing someone to talk to, just fuckin explodes.
>"What the hell happened to the world, Jim? I mean for God's sake I can't even watch TV without some preachy political douchebag trying to force their lame ass opinions down my throat!"
>Jim, nonplussed, responds "It's the wave of the future, man, not much we can do about it."
>>
>>87227674
>The main problem is that Kevin wouldn't be a social reject anymore

You don't get it, do you? Liking Star Trek and video games is not something that will get you ostracized but being an awkward autistic fuck is, and Kevin is still that regardless of what era it is.
>>
>>87228917
Please post the rest of your fanfic.

Also needs more Posey
>>
>>87229024

I totally disagree, Kevin would have a lot more common ground with average people than he did back then. Going to cons, being interested in pop-culture to an obsessive degree and having an active presence on the internet is all pretty common now, and are things the show portrays as being "geeky" and things "cool" Andy writes off in the show currently are things he would probably need to be portrayed as being at least semi-interested in now to maintain his status as a "cool slacker".

Case in point, Andy being into Ska and Beck doesn't really gel for that characterization now.
>>
>>87229063
it really would be weird to see the 2000s slackers realizing they're sort of at fault for the absolute hell in a handbasketry going on. would they go too far the other direction, or just give up and hide?
>>
>>87225670
Yes but with a SJW twist
>>
>>87229063
I actually didn't have anything else, I just wanted to see if I could write something that sounded like it could actually happen in an episode of the show
>>
>>87229193

You just skipped right over the point, which is that the things you're into have little to do with how you're perceived. Kevin would still be an outcast whether he liked all the "cool" things or not.
>>
>>87228192
>>87227060
>>87225708
Are there any shows that had the same message as Mission Hill besides maybe Simpsons?
>>
>>87229590
what message is that?
>>
>>87229590
Duckman
>>
>>87225670
In the DVD commentary they said how they intended for later seasons to show Andy rise to prominence as a cartoonist - so I think the premise could wok today. For all we know the second season would've had a shift in cast and setting that some folks wouldn't have liked anyway.

Also, there's a complete animatic for unfinished episode 16 if you guys haven't seen it yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKTGTyxdsoU

There's also scripts from the other four unfinished episodes here: http://missionhill.tripod.com/mh_lost.htm
>>
>>87231213

>Andy does end up becoming a cartoonist but the cartooning world is far less exciting than he had always envisioned (similar to how Yale is nothing like how Kevin imagines it) and he ends up at a crossroads: keep down the path and hope it gets better, or quit and try to reconcile the fact that he doesn't like his lifelong dream anymore
>>
>>87231213
it would be interesting if they did enough research to know what it's like for modern cartoonists and their relationship with the internets
>>
>>87225670
Part of me wants to see Mission Hill return in comic form, the other part of me wants it to remain immortalized as a relic of turn-of-the-century idealism
>>
I'd be curious to see it brought back in real time.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.