[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What can you tell me about Joss Whedon's run on X-Men?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 12

File: Wolverine, I choose you.jpg (206KB, 1240x949px) Image search: [Google]
Wolverine, I choose you.jpg
206KB, 1240x949px
What can you tell me about Joss Whedon's run on X-Men?
>>
Rape of franchise!!!!!!
>>
Was that the run with breakworld or whatever it was called, or was that Morrison
Or someone else entirely
I liked that story
>>
>>87190766
Yeah, that's the one.
>>
>>87190728

Space Bullet
>>
File: cullusus.png (138KB, 237x241px) Image search: [Google]
cullusus.png
138KB, 237x241px
I AM MADE OF RAGE
>>
File: 1462944639005.jpg (102KB, 694x565px) Image search: [Google]
1462944639005.jpg
102KB, 694x565px
>>87190728
People looking at it today forget that it saved the mutant superhero franchise from all the damage the movie synergies had inflicted upon the comics.
Whedon's run saved the X-Men from a dangerous disconnect it had developed with it's sometimes campy past.
The classic space adventure was the way to do that.
Otherwise, the single flaw I see is that the storytelling was too self-contained, and that lead to major chronology problems in the canon, Kitty Pryde was trapped in a space-bullet both before and long after M-day (an event not recognized in Whedon's run)
>>
>>87190904
I forgot about the space bullet haha
I liked Scott losing his mind though
>we're xmen, we don't shoot people
>>
>>87190904
Good, fuck most events and stupid synergy! I still enjoy reading it and hope (even if it doesn't matter) that X-MEN Gold can bring us those epic kind of stories. Also wish little Michael becomes real too! T_T
>>
File: 1460115167810-WhattaDay.png (564KB, 582x360px) Image search: [Google]
1460115167810-WhattaDay.png
564KB, 582x360px
>>87191041
CrayCrayclops was great.
Emma Frost losing her shit so badly that she welcomed death was the frosting on that cake.
All around just a pleasure to read.
>>
File: RCO005 (1).jpg (454KB, 1041x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO005 (1).jpg
454KB, 1041x1600px
It made people see Emma as more than a homewrecking bitch waiting to betray everyone. By taking the betrayal arc and turning it on its head, he probably saved her from someone like Carey or Fraction down the road.
It was the tipping point that made the X-Men Cyclops' team and no one else's.
Brought back Colossus.
Made Kitty relevant again.
Gave us SWORD and Abigail Brand, Danger and Blindfold.
Was the last major storyline where Beast wasn't an asshole.
Defined Scott Summers for a decade.

>>87190904
>Otherwise, the single flaw I see is that the storytelling was too self-contained, and that lead to major chronology problems in the canon, Kitty Pryde was trapped in a space-bullet both before and long after M-day (an event not recognized in Whedon's run)
They addressed M-Day so that, if you were reading the books at the same time you'd understand, but if you were reading it stand-alone you'd just skip right past it. It's better that they did it that way, it made Astonishing a better entry-level story.
>>
File: Astonishing6.jpg (18KB, 198x300px) Image search: [Google]
Astonishing6.jpg
18KB, 198x300px
One thing that I wish they could keep up was Peter/Kitty.
FYI: it wasn't ever an actual sexual relationship until Whedon.
They do make a great couple.
>>
>>87190904
>>87191305
I'm not sure, because I read it in trades, but weren't there a lot of delays in his scripts? I thought the story was originally supposed to have concluded before the big event, but then because of delays they ran concurrently and Whedon had to shoehorn it in somewhere.
>>
It was really good, because it focused on a small set of characters in their own self-contained stories, like all X-men books should.
>>
>>87191386
Yeah. I can't remember what was late, words or art but Astonishing was hilariously late, or so people say.
>>
>>87191394
I assumed it was Whedon, because this often happens with writers who also have succesful careers in movies and/or tv. Comics is really small potatoes compared to that. Remember when Kevin Smith wrote a Spider-Man/Black Cat miniseries?
>>
File: CollossusSchoolsOrd.jpg (136KB, 631x463px) Image search: [Google]
CollossusSchoolsOrd.jpg
136KB, 631x463px
>>87191305
>Brought back Colossus.
Was so hype when Colossus appeared for the first time in that storyline!
>>
>>87191475
I don't, since I'm not Spiderfag, but as you say, it's understandable if it's because of Whedon.
And there's this Wikipedia bit:
>The series is noted for its independence from crossovers and large scale events in the Marvel Universe such as House of M, Decimation, Civil War, Messiah Complex, Avengers Vs. X-Men, and Battle of the Atom. This was previously due to the long delays between issues and Whedon's own stated desire to remain away from big crossovers, which he personally disliked, and what he saw as hectic and unfollowable X-Men continuity, but have persisted almost to the end of the series, with the sole exception being the "X-Termination" event in 2013.
>>
File: Brainraped-axm-3_22.jpg (251KB, 935x948px) Image search: [Google]
Brainraped-axm-3_22.jpg
251KB, 935x948px
>>87191305
I get that the books were coming out at the same time, but the entire space adventure that ran to the end of that run and had the bullet-point ending, started the night Emma went crazy, and that happened right after they got back from defeating the Mega-Sentinel in Genosha, which was the result of the hot pursuit of Danger, who attacked everyone right after they teamed up with the Fantastic Four to take down the Mole-Man-Godzilla-Monster...
And nobody was talking about that crazy Witch Wanda nightmare they had just survived during that team-up, or the instantaneous devastation of their species. And no giant murder-bots were standing out infront of the school at the end of the story.
Continuity go screwed by that giant bullet.

( I also totally agree about that making Emma relatable. )
>>
>>87191490
And X-Termination happened without Whedon, for what's it worth.
>>
>>87191386
>>87191394
Cassaday is notoriously slow and Astonishing was full of delays, but the first year of the book shipped on time, mostly. There was like a year break in publishing between issues 12 and 13, and HoM was published during that gap.
>>
>Even though this cure has no side effects whatsoever let's hide or destroy it so no one can use it because it was made by a badguy. Sorry Wither
>Fuck you beast you're a coward for not wanting to a cat monster. You think about how lucky you are to be a mutant while I go about into society without a second look.
>>
Morrison's New and Whedon's Astonishing fit pretty well back-to-back.
>>
>>87191524
The kid could have just made best friends with Leech, or got himself one of those power-dampener collars, or like Rogue did, just embrace the full-body latex lifestyle.
Plus, didn't Mercury prove to him that he could touch any mutant who wasn't flesh-n-blood?
>>
>>87191570
God, I wanted to fuck Mercury so bad back then.
>>
>>87191504
HoM was great in it's own right.
One of my favorite scenes was when Mystique gets her wits back and realizes that her big secret wish was to be Wolverine's main squeeze.
And then in the Wolverine book in the aftermath she begins stalking him like a bat-shit-crazy blue bitch ex from Hell.
>>
>>87191204
I loved this run. Back when /co/ was good. Where were you when Gunclops died for our sins?
>>
>>87191584
Are you also a post-human mutant lesbian? Because she has a type.
>>
>>87191658
She has? How interesting.
>>
File: FORESHADOWING---axm-vol2-22_21.jpg (216KB, 909x592px) Image search: [Google]
FORESHADOWING---axm-vol2-22_21.jpg
216KB, 909x592px
>>87191642
Close... So very close...
>>
>>87191640
That pairing will never stop being gross to me.
>you're my best bub, elf
>now excuse me, I have to snikt yer mom, if you know what I mean
>>
>>87191707
There's been creepier.
>>
>>87191741
I think this is hot... ?
>>
>>87191741
And when I think I forgot about that nonsense.
I now remember Gambit and Foxx. Wonderful.
>>
>>87191764
Be grateful I didn't shove any other brainworms into your ears. There's been plenty over the years.
>>
>>87190904
>quite frankly
I see what you did there.
>>
File: Danger-1473597515889.jpg (88KB, 358x549px) Image search: [Google]
Danger-1473597515889.jpg
88KB, 358x549px
>>87191497
Remember in the finally of the Whedon run when all the heroes gather and someone asks why Professor X wasn't invited?
Thankfully the whole Danger's enslavement thing was already part of the story (intentional?) because there was also his part in HoM, his dirty little child-killing/brainraping secret revealed in Deadly Genesis, and whatever other secret evil crap was pinned on him... like his secret evil twin that he tried to murder. And all of that stuff kept coming up and being hidden from the world by his loyal X-Men.
That was some crazy stuff.
>>
>>87191882
I really never ever thought of it like that. I always associated that line with Brubaker's Uncanny, Xavier getting 'killed' by Bishop, then fucking off in X-Men Legacy, cause that was all that was going on when this issue came out.

But really, this story was set years before then, basically right after HoM, long before Messiah CompleX. That's really pretty clever, Anon.
>>
Cyclops and the lying scene is still GOAT. Although, the mental conversation leading up to it is so Whedon-esque I can't deal with it anymore.

Gotta give the man credit, he wrote some great stories after picking up the pieces of Morrison and too many events
>>
>>87191355
They were a shit couple though, even Claremont realized that by now.
>>
>>87190728
He turned it into Buffy.
>>
>>87191355
Yeah, they're great together. If only the stupid mutant endangered shit was done with, then their relationship could move forward! Here's hoping for X-MEN GOLD to make things right!

>>87194603
Nah, Claremont has been washed up for decades his opinions don't matter anymore.
>>
One of those books where Cassaday's art really synched up well with the writing.
>>
>>87190728
I thought it was good. One of my favorite X-men runs.
>>
Breakworld and Giant-Size were good. The rest was pretty meh

Ellis's contributions were much better.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.