[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are comics dying?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

If they are, why do you think it's happening?
>>
>>87169307
Because there are several better forms of entertainment available.
>>
File: brevoort.jpg (32KB, 625x295px) Image search: [Google]
brevoort.jpg
32KB, 625x295px
>>87169307
>>
>>87169336
That didn't work with DMC reboot adn female GhostBusters, and i'm pretty sure the sales of the latest miss marvel didn't even hit the top 30
>>
>>87169325
I suppose but the writing is also getting worse.
>>
>>87169336
>>87169362
If anything, overeliance on this tactic bred the apathy that the question asker warned about.

The fact that DC is doing so well right now because they implemented most of the changes fans have been clamoring about for years just shows how outdated Marvel's methods are right now.

Now it can be said that by making more diverse superheroes, they are addressing a problem that many people have had with their comics, but the way they're doing it is all wrong. It's not a good idea to trade one fanbase for another in a genre as niche as print comic books.
>>
>>87169307
I don't. If anything things have gotten better recently. Maybe not with Disney/AT&T but the scene is not only excellent but incredibly diverse.
>>
>>87169307
It's you who's in, Dredd! In-SANE!
>>
The Avengers movie made more in a week than every Avengers comic sold in history put together.

Both of the major comic book companies are owned by movie studios.

It's not rocket science to put together that the people in charge probably just don't really give a fuck about comic books being good.
>>
>>87169307
The real answer is price.

People watch bad capeshit movies and bad capeshit television, but comics are way too expensive these days to justify reasing bad capeshit comics.

The industry is an insular monolith, existing only for its own sake and only coasting by on the goodwill of its films. As such, the industry is basically fucked the second the movie bubble bursts.

Marvel's moves ro pander to Tumblr are shameful, but not entirely misguided. A younger audience less tied to the IPs would be far easier to deal with than the roudy army of faggots that currently buy comics.

The issue isn't that women don't buy comics, the issue is that no one buys comics outside of the super dedicated slowly dying core fanbase. I bet the overwhelming majority of /co/ buys little to no comics in a year. So there's no money going in.
>>
>>87169307
One reason is companies are alienating their main demographic for the sake of new readers who aren't really into comics but know of the medium through its more successful counterpart, movies.
>>
>>87170822
>alienating their main demographic

So the people that don't buy comics and created the need to go after a new demographic that does?
>>
>>87169307
No

Those who say yes only pay attention to diamond shit
>>
>>87170897
The new demographic doesn't buy comics either. As it turns out people don't feel like putting in hundreds of dollars a year to vaguely follow a confusing and senseless badly written wannabe Hollywood plot with bland and unlikablr characters when they can get the same lack of quality on Netflix for half the price with way higher production values.
>>
>>87169385

That's because the good writers fet sucked into better mediums.
>>
We have plenty of armchair market analysts in here and I'm not gonna pretend to be one. I'll say why I don't buy comics: The price.

$3.99 for twenty pages of content plus obtrusive ads is insane.

$16.99 for a trade of a six issue arc is equally insane.

You can get nearly any work of fiction in a brand new paperback for $10 and used for $5 so asking someone to pay two or three times that for a trade that is at most a QUARTER of the length is just not gonna happen. I know nothing about printing costs and manufacturing, maybe it actually costs that much money to print comics and trades but if it does this industry is SOL.
>>
>>87170918

1. Dork Diaries 10 by Rachel Renée Russell (Aladdin/Simon & Schuster)
2. Dork Diaries 9 by Rachel Renée Russell (Aladdin/Simon & Schuster)
3. Drama by Raina Telgemeier (Scholastic/Graphix)
4. Smile by Raina Telgemeier (Scholastic/Graphix)
5. Sisters by Raina Telgemeier (Scholastic/Graphix)
6. Kristy's Great Idea: Full Color Edition by Ann M. Martin and Raina Telgemeier (Scholastic/Graphix)
7. Dork Diaries 1 by Rachel Renée Russell (Aladdin/Simon & Schuster)
8. Big Nate: Say Good-bye to Dork City by Lincoln Peirce (Andrews McNeel Publishing)
9. El Deafo by Cece Bell (Amulet Books/Abrams Books)
10. Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland (DC Entertainment)
11. Star Wars: Jedi Academy by Jeffrey Brown (Scholastic)
12. The Truth About Stacey: Full Color Edition by Ann M. Martin and Raina Telgemeier (Scholastic/Graphix)
13. Big Nate's Greatest Hits by Lincoln Peirce (Andrews McNeel Publishing)
14. The Walking Dead Compendium 3 by Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn, Stefano Gaudiano (Image Comics)
15. Big Nate: Welcome to My World by Lincoln Peirce (Andrews McNeel Publishing)
16. The Walking Dead Compendium 1 by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore, Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn (Image Comics)
17. Big Nate: The Crowd Goes Wild! by Lincoln Peirce (Andrews McNeel Publishing)
18. Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh (Touchstone/Simon & Schuster)
19. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (Pantheon Books)
20. Dork Diaries 9: Barnes & Noble Edition by Rachel Renée Russell (Aladdin/Simon & Schuster)

And Scholastic basically kicked everybody else's ass in bookstore sales last year, and that isn't even counting library/school sales.
And there are more genres of comics than there have been in forever, and there are more ways to publish comics. And GN sales are at an all time high. And comics were a billion dollar industry last year.

So no.
Comics are far from dead.
>>
>>87170822
>alienating their main demographic
Comic shops are the main demograohic of anyone using Diamond.

You can't alienate a shop with the content of your books and the shop owners can't stop buying because they already have a lot of their cash tied up in their shitty comics.
>>
Comics are literally the only form of print media on the rise
>>
>>87171172
That list says more about the state of capeshit than any long winded rant could.
>>
>>87171246
Marvel's trying to get in on the all age/child train, but they're using characters nobody knows, Moon girl, Hellcat, and Squirrel girl.
Marvel had marvel adventures and then the All ages line, but they stopped (presumably because it sold badly?) like right before comics/GNs started getting more sales from children.

And all of DC's all ages stuff are so sporadic and ignored by them that barely anybody knows about them, so people think DC doesn't even have any.

They should probably create an imprint again and actually push it this time, and DC should do it too. Get more attention on those titles.
>>
>>87171435

>And all of DC's all ages stuff are so sporadic and ignored by them that barely anybody knows about them, so people think DC doesn't even have any.

Thats not true, they have the Super Hero Girl school line that is actually doing really well.
>>
>>87170767
see

>>87171172

and kill yourself
>>
>>87170650
>The Avengers movie made more in a week than every Avengers comic sold in history put together

That doesn't sound right, especially when adjusting for inflation.
>>
File: 1461442297074.jpg (95KB, 500x464px) Image search: [Google]
1461442297074.jpg
95KB, 500x464px
>more comics are being published now than ever before
>comics are dying
>>
>>87171903
Yes but they also have Looney Tunes, two Scooby Doo books, Teen Titans Go, etc as well as reprints of BTAS/DCAU stuff and the old Teen Titans Go
Superhero Girls stuff are an anomaly
>>
>>87172158
Sure I guess, but its an anomaly thats working.
>>
>>87171911
That's fantastic news for elementary school book fairs you sure proved me wrong there anon.
>>
>>87169307
Marvel is putting out books that cost $5 now.
I could buy two of those books and while I wouldn't necessarily be entertained, I would be occupied. For about ten minutes.

Or I could hop on PSN and spend that $10 dollars on a 20+ hour RPG. I haven't played Grandia III yet and always wanted to to complete the trilogy.

The choice seems really fucking obvious.
>>
>>87172306
Comics were still a billion dollar industry last year and trade/GNs sales are at an all time high
>>
>>87171172
>dork dairies
>Smile
>Sisters
>Lone Batman book
>Lone Star Wars book
>TWD

...it is true, is it? women do buy comics.
And Marvel, instead of catering to them by making stories aimed at that demographic, they just make female Thor, because fuck it.
>>
>>87172306
>comes dont sell and their fanbase is dying off!
>show comics selling and that they are appealing to children in great numbers

>GAAAAH IM NOT WRONG
>>
Comics have trouble with telling the story because they are not as content dense as a book or a motion picture of any kind. They can be good, but people who have attention span to read a book will probably rather read a book. And people who don't would probably prefer a movie.

Comics might be cheaper to produce than movies, yet they still don't have advantage of literature where anyone can just sit down and write what he wants without having to invest money or anything.
>>
>>87172643
>all this bullshit that I'm pulling out of my ass
>>
>>87172477
Female Thor has been their only attempt that has actually worked in terms of sales.
People should really stop using her as an example.
>>
>>87173150
>Female Thor has been their only attempt
yeah, about that...
>>
>>87173213
Can you make an effort and make full sentences?
>>
>>87169336
Wow, his answer was literally, "Your argument that pertains to the future is wrong because of the present"

Like, nigga, you are in the anger stage and this guy is telling you it won't last.
>>
>>87171435
>Marvel's trying to get in on the all age/child train

Maybe they should go back to doing stuff they did during the golden age, since all of it was aimed at kids.
>>
>>87173213
What ever happened to those Anita Blake comics?
Did they finally catch up with the none stop sex scene books?
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.