[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your thoughts on the decompression of comics? Pages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: Crisis_on_Infinite_Earths_006.jpg (687KB, 1329x622px) Image search: [Google]
Crisis_on_Infinite_Earths_006.jpg
687KB, 1329x622px
What are your thoughts on the decompression of comics? Pages use to be filled with reading. Not so much anymore.
>>
>>87125179
Discouraging, I could see a movie for less money and time and get more entertainment.
>>
Who actually started the decompression trend? What caused all comic publishers to accept it as the norm? Weren't there plenty of comic creators fighting back to have comics created the old way?
>>
>>87125179
>What are your thoughts on the decompression of comics?
Frankly? I fucking despise it. But also, I'm confused. Why do readers tolerate it? Wouldn't you prefer to spend your money on a complete story every month instead of a small piece of one? Like even if a run is structured in an episodic format, you'd still get a beginning, middle, and end once a month. The way things are structured now, honestly seems like a bit of a scam, especially since there's nothing about any of these stories that require them to be stretched out so thin. Nothing fucking happens in comics anymore, and people put up with this for some reason. I don't get it.
>>
>>87125277
Don't know if Bendis was the first, but I think I heard somewhere that editors forced writers to do the same as him for a bit.
>>
>>87125277
I'd guess it was the image boom in the 90s, which suddenly turned individual artists into big selling points, so their art couldn't be clutered by tons of word bubbles and such.
>>
File: green_arrow_v1_059_22_23_rougher.jpg (796KB, 2000x1531px) Image search: [Google]
green_arrow_v1_059_22_23_rougher.jpg
796KB, 2000x1531px
>>87125277
I remember an interview with (I think) Grant Morrison where he said everyone started modeling their comics after movies. Widescreen, cinematic, etc. It's much more streamlined meaning you don't get unconventional layouts like pic related anymore.

His belief was that it was because authors want their works optioned for film so they're making them as much like movies as possible. They want the Hollywood types to easily imagine the comics as films.

So, maybe not 100% what you're talking about, OP. But the movie thing makes sense and probably explains a lot of the formatting changes in comics in the last 20 years.
>>
>>87125310
>Wouldn't you prefer to spend your money on a complete story every month instead of a small piece of one?

This is why trades are so popular. But trades being popular means comics will be written for the trade. It's a weird spiral.
>>
File: 1475848186446.png (3MB, 1815x1705px) Image search: [Google]
1475848186446.png
3MB, 1815x1705px
If I actually paid for comics, I imagine I'd be pretty pissed about it. Taking three issues for something that could have been a one-off is terrible. It's the same with people. If you want to take five minutes to tell a one-minute story, you'd better be a god-tier storyteller.

In comparison, the breakneck pace of developments in older books is refreshing. I know a lot of people seem to hate narration boxes, but comic books used to put a real emphasis on the "book" part. Descriptive narrations bridged the gap between panels and painted a scene in the reader's imagination.
>>
>>87125669

I only buy trades and I still feel jipped
>>
File: 1427333639126.jpg (214KB, 620x870px) Image search: [Google]
1427333639126.jpg
214KB, 620x870px
Bump.
>>
Can't stand it.

And all so they can fit a story into their precious little TPBs.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.