[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why do you still collect floppies?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: s-l300.jpg (16KB, 268x300px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
16KB, 268x300px
why do you still collect floppies?
>>
>>87101290

I had to google what floppies were.
>>
I keep a pull list of 5+ titles to help support my lcs and earn the 15% discount on all other items in the store, trades, drinks, popcorn, anything except movie tickets.
>>
>>87101290
Who cares what people collect. For instance I basically only collect softcover trades because I'm poor which gets looked at as pleb by most people here because they have hardcovers, absolutes and omnibuses. I don't care though because I love them and I'm sure the floppy collectors feel the same way.
>>
You mean normal comics? It takes months or even years for comics to get made into volumes. I want to read them asap.
>>
Because I have bad taste in comics, so some of the stuff I like never gets reissued and only exists in floppy form (like the comic adaptation of Duckman).
>>
>>87101585
>I want to read them asap.

But you still have to wait month by month. Better to just wait it out and have it all in one clean book with a nice spine that also looks nice on a shelf. My biggest problem with floppies is that they have to be stored in boxes.
>>
Wait that still exists ? There are people that actually buy it ?
Only time i ever saw them was a giant pile of 90s trash in far back of the store.
>>
>>87101290
I don't. Haven't in 4 years or more.
It's all CBR or CBZ.
>>
File: 1270981458267.jpg (30KB, 198x198px) Image search: [Google]
1270981458267.jpg
30KB, 198x198px
I like the experience of rummaging around through old long boxes for comics. Grabbing a trade off the shelf doesn't feel the same.

>>87101460
I don't think your a pleb anon.
>>
>>87101665
What kind of half assed comic shop do you go to that doesn't have a display stand with all the recent issues?
>>
>>87101630

Atleast the wait is monthly and consistent. Trades is like having a binge and then it cuts off for half a year. The shelf is a good point but I don't bag and board my comics. I just use those magazine racks and display them. I enjoy the covers
>>
The biggest thing about it for me is the ritual of it. I love going to my LCS every Wednesday, seeing other regulars, talking to the people at the store, getting my new books, going through dollar bin and clearance trades, and maybe looking through the back issues if I have some spare money.
Floppies are how I started out buying comics, so they'll always have a place in my heart.

I do buy a lot of trades and collected editions, but they are not always perfect either. The bind quality can be bad on omnibuses. The larger a book gets, or if it was poorly put together, the art can be ruined. I have run into so many instances where a double page spread or a splash page were ruined because of the middle binding.

I read digitally with Marvel Unlimited and pirated stuff. I buy zines and anthologies from small and self publishers.

I just like comics in any format.
>>
>>87101702
European one. And i would rather wait a year to get a complete well drawn story than week/month to get a little part that in most cases is half assed.
And i really don't see a reason to buy the physical floppies. You will get a same thing better packed and easier to conserve when hardcover will be released and for cheaper too.
>>
>>87101792
I want to add onto this though. I don't collect. I don't like collectors. I think they ruin comics for other people. They buy comics like they're baseball cards. I buy books that I want to read and I plan on reading. Back issues can be cheap if you're not worried about getting 1st printings or stuff in pristine condition.
>>
For me, it's about the experience of reading a variety of stories taking place within the universe at once. I collect trades when it comes to indy comics but for Big 2, the experience of reading a lot of characters and what they are currently up to is a lot more fun than buying a trade and feeling like you are just walking down one narrow path.

That being said, I'm cheap and read all the new releases on /co/ and i have a small pull list of my top 5 favorite books.
>>
>>87101820
>I don't like collectors. I think they ruin comics for other people.

lol wtf how so?? Because I don't want to pawn or sell a book I enjoyed and paid $40 for means I ruin it for you? Not sure if you're talking about collecting in general or people who collect rare issues.
>>
>>87101912

I think he gets triggered like I do when weird fuckers walk in the store looking for things just so they can resell it and make money even though they don't give a shit about the character as opposed to buying your comics because you genuinely like the art and storytelling and are buying them because you love them as a medium of entertainment.

That's just my guess.
>>
I don't collect them
I just buy them to support whatever series I'm interested in
>>
>>87101896
I do the same. Trades for indie and regular comics (and a few trades) for the Big 2.
>>
>>87102034
Pretty much this. It isn't limited to back issues either. There have been times where I've gone back to the shop on a Thursday because I read good things about a book, but it was sold out because some assholes came in and bought five a piece to sit on because some YouTube channel or blog told them to.
>>
I can't stand buying modern comics (I blame the price, but also my total disinterest), but I have a good 10k+ in floppies bought off eBay that paid for itself over the years by flipping rarer issues to pay for the cheaper ones.

It's fun.
>>
File: image.jpg (584KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
584KB, 960x720px
I have zero interest in new stuff, I buy only hc omnis.
>>
>>87103318
But do you have any interest in reading your 20 pound books? Every omni I see in these threads looks like an untouched shelf queen.
>>
>>87101352
first post worst post
>>
File: image.jpg (286KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
286KB, 960x720px
>>87103426
I read them all, usually more than once. UXM 2 is missing from that pic for a reason, Imam read g it for the second time, about to read uxm 150. They're not even heavy; around 5 pounds at the most. I don't even think about that anymore.

How the fuck is book supposed to look on the shelf, anon? Dust jackets cover any wear and tear.
>>
Because I like the format. I'd rather have a floppy than a paperback trade in most cases, but honestly nice hardcovers are the best option imo
>>
>>87103779
>How the fuck is book supposed to look on the shelf, anon? Dust jackets cover any wear and tear.

By looking at the bindings and pages you can see what ones have and haven't been read. Good on you for reading yours, I'm too much of a cheapass to buy any even though I could buy them for how many trades I get. I just don't like having super expensive collectible books that I want to read that damage easily and even though I know they are sewn it doesn't change the fact that they can break apart from their own weight. Beautiful books though anon, I cringe every time I see the prices of them at my local stores.
>>
>>87104281
I buy online. Most of these were 50-60$. Well, mosts were gifts from my wife, but ASM and UXM 2 , which I bought, were both 50$.
>>
>>87101290
to support lcs and also cause they feel like real comics in your hand
>>
>>87101607
How can it be an adaptation when the comic came before the series aired?
>>
>>87104281
>By looking at the bindings and pages
Actually, it's a testament to the quality of Marvel's reproductions that you can't tell a hardcover that's been reread several times from one that's brand new or would be found in a store.

I take dustjackets off before reading though, and flip my omniboo's upside down every half a year to prevent stress on the spine though, so I'm definitely a bit of an austist over it.
>>
>>87101290
I haven't bought any sort of physical comic since they closed down my local Hastings but before that, I probably spent about $30 a week on floppies. I like having the story in my hands but I'm glad I knocked off the pointless spending.
>>
Depends. I have Geoff Johns' run on JSA in floppy just for the Alex Ross covers. I also have the floppies for All-Star Superman and Jack Kirby's New Gods, just to flaunt it.

On the whole, though, I typically get trades. I don't mind the wait, because I can hold out and see if the story is actually worth it.
>>
>>87104507
You have a pretty cool wife to not only condone your hobby but support it. My g/f has bought me a few trades here and there for father's day and birthdays.

>>87104699
>and flip my omniboo's upside down every half a year to prevent stress on the spine though, so I'm definitely a bit of an austist over it.

It almost seems you have to. I have 250 trades and not a single Absolute or Omni but I do have a bunch of expensive and huge encyclopedias from DK and Knopf that get a sag in the middle from too much weight pulling at the spine so I feel like I know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>87101585
That's why you pirate them new, and later by the volume, if it's worth it.
>>
I normally just read stuff here and buy the volume if I like it. If the series is doing badly I'll buy the singles. This is a great way to get burned as I'm definitely not getting a second volume of Prez.
>>
>>87101290
To support the industry
>>
Only single issues matter, everyone knows it, reprints are worthless trash fake geeks like this >>87103318 chica here post on her IG page to score so trendy nerd points.

>>87101290
people collect comic books because they're fun to collect, relatively cheap and they have a notable return because of how scarce they actually are.
>>
I bought them because i liked collecting and i love looking through my boxes at all the different covers.
But i stopped a couple of years ago.
I don't miss it because I'm not even that far behind on stories. This shit takes forever. I'd rather trade wait now. It's cheaper too.
>>
>>87105455
>fake geeks
You have to be 18 to post here.
>>
>>87101290
I dunno, been wondering that myself lately
>>
>>87105455
>relatively cheap
They're not, unless you're buying lots in bulk off eBay. Let's not pretend otherwise.
>>
>>87101290
cause they're cool. I want to be like the guy in Mallrats with a bedroom wall covered in superhero posters and a massive collection of old comics
>>
>>87107554
Jason Lee. Great movie.
>>
>>87101290
i don't. i stopped when Flashpoint happened. I've got pretty much every issue DC put out from Final Crisis up until Flashpoint, but they're just sitting in longboxes in my clost. I didn't even finish reading a lot of the last three months or so because it seemed kind of pointless knowing the whole reality was about to be erased. Also Brightest Day just draaaaaaaaaaaaged on way too long and I quit caring who was going to be wearing which two rings this week. I couldn't get into switching over to Marvel because of the never-ending WHEEL-O-CROSSOVER-EVENTS, especially after Blackest Night, Brightest Day, Batman Inc,

Feels weird to say it, but Bruce Wayne dying is what made DC come alive for me. I miss Dick & Damian, the new Justice League with the grown-up Titans and that gorilla. Reducing everything back to the Superfriends killed the DCU for me.
>>
>>87107861
>. I didn't even finish reading a lot of the last three months or so because it seemed kind of pointless knowing the whole reality was about to be erased.
Man, I really do think you're the worst sort of fan and I can't comprehend your way of thinking at all. How can you ever feel satisfied if you only like stories without an end?

I mean, hell, I profited off New 52, I could collect entire runs for pennies because people thought their old comics didn't "matter" anymore, as if the books themselves lost value because they weren't relevant to whatever new status quo was being enforced that year. But the people who were just dumping their books truly baffled me. Imagine someone throwing away golden/silver age Batman origins just because Year One came out? Horrific.

I imagine your nostalgia over pre-Flashpoint/post-FC comics is just because you discovered comics at that time; for many though, comics were slipping since Identity Crisis and that period was pretty dark (equivalent to what Marvel's going through now, with only a handful of titles sticking out).
>>
File: 1449681201524.gif (908KB, 500x344px) Image search: [Google]
1449681201524.gif
908KB, 500x344px
Stopped buying them last year and I've never been happier
>>
>>87101290
The Tim Sale cover of Batman Rebirth #6 would look great on my wall.

Also I'm autistic about Dishonored so I bought all the Bae variants to frame.

The only other reason why I'm buying floppies is because I'm new to collecting comics and I want to keep up with Rebirth even though I can just read all the new issues in ST threads here.

All Star Batman is fuckin solid
>>
>>87101290
>>87101290
no
>>
At first, I was never going to buy floppies but DC announced they were 2.99 and I'm down with collecting them as long as they stay that price. If the price goes up, I'll just stop. I made myself a promise though, I have one shortbox and once that is filled up, I'm done for life. So I'm being really picky with what I buy. There's only 2 books on my pull list right now and they aren't even the twice monthly kind. Hopefully I can drag this out and one day be proud that I have 1 simple shortbox full of comics I absolutely adore head to toe and not just farewell to collecting since 1 era of books is enough for me. But who knows? I might go for a 2nd shortbox
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.