[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My 12 year old sister is getting an interest into comics and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 12

File: Wonder-Woman-Rebirth-1-Featured.jpg (73KB, 750x423px) Image search: [Google]
Wonder-Woman-Rebirth-1-Featured.jpg
73KB, 750x423px
My 12 year old sister is getting an interest into comics and I'm trying to guide her to something better other than Image MLP comics.

Can /co/ recommend anything well written and good and isn't rife with bullshit feminist shit? WW also looks good but the rebirth tpb isn't out yet so maybe something else. I heard Ms. Marvel is good and I'm planning to get that. Anything else?
>>
check out some DCYou stuff, Prez and Bizarro were great and would be very enjoyable for a youngster. the Hanna Barbera line has a lot of good stuff as well. what about archie reboot?
what sort of shit is she into, like genres, characters etc?
>>
>>87092672
No goddamn clue, I'm trying to get a few books for her to start out and see what she likes and branch out from there.

Iike I said, I've seen read a few issues of MLP so I assume something that has an overarching plot and has interesting characters would be a good place to start. I'll check out DCYou then, I heard it was underrated and has some great stories.
>>
>>87092624
Ms Marvel is a good choice, definitely. Prez is good, but be aware that it got cancelled early.

I'd recommend the MC2 Spider-Girl series, but you're fucked if you want it in trades.
>>
Just give her gaimans sandman, moores swampthing, and Preacher.
>>
Is Batgirl any good?

I read something about Lumberjanes, how is that?

It seems cutesy enough.

>>87092891
Yeah, might as well get her Y: The last man and some Transmetropolitan too I suppose?
>>
Marvel is good for young people stuff t b q h
>>
>>87092624
>Image MLP comics.
You mean idw
Also does she recognise that dragontown and good the bad and the ponies are shit (never got the hateboner for reflections though)

Ms marvel was good but then they civil war 2ed all over her she should improve again soon.

Stay away from the new mockingbird and hellcat

Supergirl cosmic adventures in the 8th grade is one of the best supergirl comics out there.
>>87092891
Also i agree with this anon on sandman everybody should read sandman
>>
>>87092921
>Is Batgirl any good
Her new series is her nu52 was horrible.
Not sure about before that.
>>
Try Gotham Academy, Ms. Marvel is also a good choice.

I think Hawkeye by Fraction/Aja would also be enjoyable to her.
>>
>>87092921
Might as well. Toss in Fables as well it was my first comic.
>>
>>87092624
Bone
Courtney Crumrin
Skottie Young's Oz books
Gurihiru's Last Airbender and/or Power Pack stuff
>>
>>87092624
Does she read the main mlp series friends forever or both.
If she reads the main series she might be interested in demon knights it has a similar party of adventures feel.
>>
>>87092983
The main series it seems. Friends forever is the focus on two of them an issue, right?
>>
>>87092998
Yeah friends forever is the 2 character focus series.
>>
>>87092624
Gotham City Sirens, Harley Quinn 2000's, Batgirl 2000's and Batman Adventures
>>
>>87092624
Gotham Academy
I haven't read the most recent stuff
But I haven't seen so much a hint of SJW agenda in the first semester book.
>>
spidey, ultimate spider-man.
>>
File: IHateFairyland_01-1.png (165KB, 477x734px) Image search: [Google]
IHateFairyland_01-1.png
165KB, 477x734px
>>87092624
>>
be prepared

She will eventually lust for black cocks
>>
>>87092624
by joe kelly, author of best jla run, 'what's so funny about truth, justice, and the american way?'
>>
>>87092891
Just be careful sandman does not give her a bishi fetish.
>>
File: For_kids-_all_ages.png (866KB, 1280x1197px) Image search: [Google]
For_kids-_all_ages.png
866KB, 1280x1197px
>>
File: 1449440981666.jpg (1002KB, 1604x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1449440981666.jpg
1002KB, 1604x1500px
>>87093587
That ones old, I've updated it since tgen
>>
>>87092624
WW Rebirth is a bit new reader-unfriendly... I'd recommend Renae De Liz' Legend of Wonder Woman as a good WW entry point instead...
>>
>>87092983
Also if she just likes horses supergirl had a pet horse for a while.
>>
Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

I'm gonna sort through them and pick a few I find when I go to the comic book store this weekend. Thanks.
>>
>>87092624
>and isn't rife with bullshit feminist shit

and this matters to a 12 yo because...?
>>
>>87092921
You'll not get a whole lot of love for Batgirl and Lumberjanes around these parts but I find them to be of good quality for their targeted demo

Speaking of, I would also recommend Lumberjanes' recent crossover partner, Gotham Academy
>>
>>87093770
Because she's young and impressionable and I want her to read good stories and not have it influence her future political stances until she's old enough to understand the ideologies when the time comes.
>>
>>87092930
>wants young people to be regressives the post
>>
>>87093794

And yet you're willing to let her read stuff like Y: the last man and Transmetropolitan?

If she's young enough to be swayed into the "feminist agenda", she's too young to read a comic where a characte advocated cutting of women's tits.
>>
>>87093830
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>87093830
That was a sarcastic joke, silly.
>>
File: Amulet.jpg (223KB, 600x877px) Image search: [Google]
Amulet.jpg
223KB, 600x877px
>>87093645
This. I particularly recommend The Marcel OZ, Monster Soceity of Evil, Beasts of Burden, PS 238 (free online webcomic now, she'll love it), Usagi Yojimbo, Marvel Adventures, Mouse Guard, and any Gurihiru Power Pack stuff.

I'd add All-Star Superman and Superman Birthright to the list. Its important to show her real Superman while she's young.

She might like Amulet by Kazu Kibuisi. It's a comfy little fantasy series and you'll probably be able to find all the trades at Barnes and Nobles. Also mecha house. Pic related.
>>
>>87093587
>>87093645
She's 12, not 8. I think she can handle something a little more adult.

Though Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade is something everyone should read.

When I was that age, I read a FUCK ton of Silver Age Marvel, available in black and white Essential collections and nowadays the Epic Collections and Marvel Masterworks. Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Hulk and Roy Thomas Avengers are all great stuff.

For more modern stuff I'd recommend Gotham Academy, CamStew Batgirl, the New 52 Black Canary, and Ms. Marvel, stuff that respects her intelligence without being full of violence and sex and text-heavy plots, with off-kilter art (girls seem to find that very interesting).
>>
I'd say some of the best right now that are super easy to get into are Gotham Academy, Archie and various spin offs, Ms Marvel, Tomboy, and Snot Girl. Those are some of my favorite ongoing comics that are more laid back and fun.
>>
>>87093409
>Joe Kelly JLA even close to top five JLA runs

Come on anon. Come on.
>>
>>87093869
You have some good ideas, she loves drawing and I'm trying to expand her art knowledge with some comics that actually have decent art and a good story too. I think she'll love the comics you're recommending, to be frank. Silver age comics are a pain in the ass to buy so I rather get her some modern tpbs to get her interested and started in comics that she can carry around and read without lugging a huge masterwork book.
>>
>>87093918
Nah man masterworks come in regular sized paperbacks as well, I've got tons of them.

Essentials are a bit big though.
>>
>>87092921
>Batgirl and Lumberjanes

If you give her any of that garbage before actual good comics you need to choke yourself to death.

Are we going for cutsey? Gurihiru Power Pack, Marvel Wizard of Oz, Bone, Usagi Yojimo, Shazam Monster Society of Evil.

Bam. Five good recommendations that will make you the good brother.

Don't fuck this up OP.

>>87092965
Gotham Academy is good. So is Ms. Marvel as much as it triggers /co/. Solid choices.

>Fraction Hawkeye

It depends on what kind of person she is. She might find it too violent/boring/not-cute.

>>87092968
Fables is great. It was one of my first comics. Just cut her off after the war. Its all a painful free fall from there. But you might run into the same problems as with Fraction Hawkeye.

>>87092983
Demon Knights is actually a really damn good suggestion if she's big into fantasy adventure.

>>87093918
If you're feeling brave torrent her some Gardner Fox era Justice League. Zero character, its all about the crazy situations they find themselves in and how they save the day.
>>
>>87092624
Runaways.

>>87092891
And From Hell.
>>
>>87093869
A lot of stuff on there isn't for 8 year olds. Usagi Yojimbo, Atomic Robo, Courtney Crumtin, Beasts of Burden and a lot more are more YA than for children
>>
>>87092624
Have her check out the initial Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes) run, Shazam!: Monster Society Of Evil, Billy Batson & The Magic of Shazam!, Batgirl: Year One, the Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan), Gotham Academy, Gotham City Sirens, L'il Gotham, Batman Adventures, Batman '66 (and crossovers), Wonder Woman '77, TMNT, or Usagi Yojimbo. They're all worth a look.
>>
File: Bone-complete.jpg (90KB, 431x600px) Image search: [Google]
Bone-complete.jpg
90KB, 431x600px
>>87092624
>Image
>MLP comics
Anon, let's not do those comics the service of mistaking IDW for someone more capable.

Anyway, what about Bone?
>>
>>87093645
For what it's worth, off this list my 14 year old sister really enjoyed Ghostopolis.
>>
Most of these suggestions sound for YA or boys. For capes, legend of wonder woman or silver age supergirl omnibus would be the best for her. DC's scooby doo team up is a really great weekly comic for kids.
>>
File: 1379616209730.jpg (233KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1379616209730.jpg
233KB, 1280x1024px
Supergirl Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade, its very mellow but doesn't cut short the feeling of adventure.
>>
>>87092891
>For a 12 year old
>>
>>87092624
>>87092624
If she likes fantasy stories maybe MouseGuard from Archaia comics.
>>
File: mg4a.jpg (1MB, 1147x1153px)
mg4a.jpg
1MB, 1147x1153px
>>87094786
Sorry forgot image.

Also if you wanted a stand alone WW story look into JLA League of One
>>
File: bande-dessinee.jpg (2MB, 2480x1754px) Image search: [Google]
bande-dessinee.jpg
2MB, 2480x1754px
>>87092624
>>
>>87092921
Not him, but I can't remember anything terribly objectionable in Sandman. Worst case, it might fail to hold her interest or something.
>>
>>87095543
Isn't the first volume about a dude making people cum blood and massacre each other with silverware before Dream levies the smackdown?
>>
>>87092624
Take her to your lcs and let her browse around and pick out what she wants instead of what you want.
>>
Hellboy.
>>
>>87092624
DCYou's Starfire.
>>
>>87092921
> Is Batgirl any good?

Current? Yeah it's descent. A nice middle ground of the previous runs. But if you want just a good Batgirl run from start to finish? Just buy the Cassandra Cain Batgirl trades that are out. Good chunk of stories for a good price.
>>
>>87095648
The cuming blood was a single panel late in the run.
I cant really remember how dream escaped.
>>
File: SM-06-021.jpg (2MB, 1920x2951px) Image search: [Google]
SM-06-021.jpg
2MB, 1920x2951px
>>87096149
He's probably talking about the diner massacre at the end of the first arc.
>>
>>87092624
Do not recommend her cape comics. They are mass produced shit and will make her think all comics are capes.

Make her read Fantagraphics. Anya's Ghost and other comfy stories would be great. Nothing too heavy like keraskoet or the hipster comics.

French comics like Melusine and Asterix are also good, but hard to find and require a PC to read the scanlations.

Remember she's 12. Comics aren't exactly pandering to kids nowadays

>>87093645
Usagi Yojimbo is great too.
>>
File: 1472338989616.jpg (170KB, 666x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1472338989616.jpg
170KB, 666x1024px
>>87092624
Bone
Blue Monday
Current or Classic Archie comics
>>
>>87094728
there's nothing you should shield a 12-year-old from
>>
Bitch Planet.
>>
>>87097690
Doctor Destiny's portion of the story is pretty scary in general
Notnfor an adult beyond the creepy level but for a kid
>>
Sandman is a great start, especially if she reads more DC and starts to realize that a lot of them show up in it.
That and All Star Superman will be the gifts that keep on giving.
>>
Take my neice to my LCS so often she knows everyone's name
And she has shown a interest even though she hasn't learned how to read
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.