[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NEO-GOTHAM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

What happened to Old Gotham?
>>
They tore down the old buildings and put up new ones.
>>
>>86846931
I always thought that front most Skyline was Old Gotham, with Neo-Gotham looming behind it.
>>
how tall would those buildings in the background be? must be a nightmare to navigate inside of one.
>>
And why did it get so Chinese-y?
>>
>>86846931
Akira
>>
>>86847260
It's an extrapolation of various cyberpunk assumptions about the progress of the world. In the 80's, when cyberpunk was really born, it looked as if China and Japan would dominate the world within a few years thanks to their emphasis on production of technology.
>>
>>86847260
Japanese corporations taking over everything is Cyberpunk 101.
>>
File: M303Csl.png (218KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
M303Csl.png
218KB, 576x432px
>>86847282
>30 years later
And gooks can usually keep a pretty good schedule, what the fuck happened?
>>
>>86847362
>implying China does not already own the entirety of the USA
>>
>>86847362
Japan suffered from an economic crisis at the end of the 80s crippling their economy until the 2010s. They still maintained their world rank but were in deflation through out the 90s and a part of the 2000s.

80s cyberpunk was not really about China.
>>
Second impact, man. Now Terry has to get in the goddamn robot.
>>
>>86846931
Ironically it fell into a vat.
>>
>>86847245
So tall that you couldn't open a window anywhere and you'd need to use an airlock to get inside, even on the ground floor, because they'd have to be completely pressurized and you couldn't sensibly rely on just pressurizing the upper floors.

If we examine the base of the large building immediately behind what we might assume is Old Gotham, it's possible that it's directly behind that line of smaller buildings - in which case it's at least a kilometer on that side, indicating that it's several kilometers tall (the Burj Khalifa, currently the tallest building, tops out at around 0.83 kilometers and is nothing like that across the base).

The interior must be artificially lit (as must the streets, even of the old town, because the shadow cast by those buildings would mean no natural light most of the day throughout most of the year); it must also be largely self-sufficient, as the amount of traffic necessary to deliver from manufacturers across the city (for food, say) would be enormous. The base of that thing alone probably has sufficient volume for every apartment in the modern New York metropole, so in a city that size there are likely billions of people. It's well beyond the upper limits of what our technology could currently support, and implies that much of the rest of the world is uninhabitable for whatever reason (though that might be an economic, rather than environmental, cause).

>>86847260
1 in 6 people is Chinese. Most of them live in China. For most of the last century China wasn't really a very prosperous nation, but it has changed rapidly and will continue to grow economically population wise it's due to shrink fairly drastically.

A better question is why isn't it more Indian-y? More than 1 in 6 people is from the Asian subcontinent, also set to grow in population (for reals), and doing pretty good financially.
>>
We don't want to talk about it
>>
>>86846931
>>86847260
After fifty years of still being culturally, socially and architecturally entrenched in that sick-nasty 30s-40s art deco style, Gotham was too weak and unprepared to modernize in time to fight off the Japanese economic invasion of the 1980s. Maybe you wouldn't all work for a zaibatsu corporation if you stupid fuckers didn't spend all your tax dollars on police zeppelins, building sized computers and renovated Studebakers, you fucking decopunk turbo hipsters.
>>
>>86846931
Old Gotham got left behind on earth. Every ten years, Terry Has to get in a batmecha and fight in a martial arts tournament for the right to rule over the earth.
>>
>>86846931
The abandoned factory factory went out of business.
>>
>>86851279
>year of our lord + 2066
>being a wage slave instead of shadowrunning
Keking all the way to my getaway van.
>>
File: alienclint.jpg (125KB, 480x736px) Image search: [Google]
alienclint.jpg
125KB, 480x736px
>>86851185
thanks doc
>>
>>86846931
Joker nuked it.
>>
>>86846931
they knocked it down to build the ziggurat. they just REALLY wanted that ziggurat.
>>
Probably that new millennium Ra's-Al-Ghul thing.
>>
>>86846943

Those abandoned factories have been there for generations.
>>
>>86851185
What I don't understand is South Korea is a literally a cyberpunk nation at this point, they have the fastest internet speeds, they have internet cafes situated around every block as well as the the cheapest hourly broadband internet access rates, this in addition to huge tech and electronic corporations consumer dominating the majority of South Korean daily life, the paranoia of a North Korean invasion and heavy militarization.
>>
File: neos_city_by_kingcloud-d579bij.jpg (304KB, 1333x600px) Image search: [Google]
neos_city_by_kingcloud-d579bij.jpg
304KB, 1333x600px
I wish giant stupid pyramids became a real thing outside of cyberpunk. If I ever get a billion dollars I'm going to build a giant stupid cyberpunk pyramid in a city that's not Las Vegas.
>>
>>86846931
They built on top of it like a Warhammer 40k Hive City.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.