[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went so wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

File: 1475710454076.gif (2MB, 256x368px) Image search: [Google]
1475710454076.gif
2MB, 256x368px
What went so wrong?
>>
the creators played pokemon GO, thats what went wrong.
>>
>>86806670
Artists cutting corners to save a buck.

As a person that hasn't watched the Simpsons in years, how different is it?
>>
>>86806670
2008 happened.
>>
File: 1469592266141.jpg (350KB, 900x696px) Image search: [Google]
1469592266141.jpg
350KB, 900x696px
>>86807191
VERY different. In the bad way.

Each new episode shows declining quality as creators scrape the bottom of the barrel to be relevant and funny at the same time. The funniest I've seen was a joke at the end of an episode where they suggested people go outside for a bit before posting how much they suck online.

It feels like they want to stop making Simpsons but the obligations of money drive them to make more and more, so they just put in the minimum amount of effort needed to create a half hour long explanation why they deserve that paycheck.

Real sad actually.
>>
File: al jean.jpg (103KB, 656x747px) Image search: [Google]
al jean.jpg
103KB, 656x747px
>>86806670

exhibit A
>>
>>86806670
the shop assistant is black
>>
>>86807191
Horrendous
>>
Guy, they cut some shit to add new stuff to the intro. Immediately after there's a short sequence with Maggie that isn't in the older intros. It's to save time.
>>
>>86806670
The comedy was replaced by SJW pandering.

>>86807041
>game created in 2016 is responsible for shit that's been going on since 2007

It's amazing how common sense is so hated these days.
>>
Western animators got worse.
>>
>>86806670
Probably your childhood. Normal people do not notice this shit.
>>
>>86810039
>The comedy was replaced by SJW pandering.
what
>>
Family Guy got popular
>>
HAVE NO FEARS

WE'VE GOT STORIES FOR YEARS
>>
>>86806670
What the adition is funn-

JESUS FUCK WHAT HAPPENED TO MARGES MOVEMENTS
>>
>>86806670
Seasons 9-10. Of course I'm preaching to the choir here

The characters, or rather, the lack thereof, start to become messed up as the show approached the late 90s. Lisa is reduced to a know-it-all and more overtly liberal than before, Marge is reduced to a nag, Bart is reduced to homer's sidekick, Burns is a senile and friendly old man (rather than evil), and Homer is a zany superstar unselfconsciously hanging out with movie stars, escaping from jail at the Super Bowl, and gleefully taking up grifting - rather than the put-upon breadwinning father he used to be.
>>
>>86806670
Mommy came in Daddy and out popped me.
>>
>>86807191
Actually the guy who did the new version wrote a blog post about it. Originally it was more dynamic like the original version but one of the producers kept telling him to trim it back. All the exaggerated detail in Marge was "distracting" from the joke (Maggie and the unibrow baby shaking their fists at one another).

He wound up doing a few different versions before it was finally handed off to someone else to finish (Maggies fist shake was heavily modified after he was finished with it).
>>
>>86811822
Well i can understand cutting back on marge a little but they went to far with it.
>>
>>86811897
They may've gone too far in a few places
>>
>>86811026
Late 90s is definitely when the show began its decline.

Weird to think that as the show comes up to the end of its third decade, it's been terrible for the past two decades.
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 1096x774px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 1096x774px
>>86811897
The thing is that with the move to HD there has been an increasing push to make things look "clean" and "professional". The old Simpsons could look weird at times (especially the first couple of seasons) but it could also be really dynamic. A big part of that was that the animators weren't too confined with staying on model.

You need to have a happy medium. You don't want to be too stiff but at the same time you can go too far in the other direction or else it'll become an incoherent mess.
>>
>>86810066
It's animated in South Korea or possibly some other Asian country.
>>
>>86807474
>tfw the last good production code was 3F
>>
>>86812190
Classic Simpsons had a largely Jewish writing staff
>>
>>86806670
Honestly? It's been on the air for too long and the show writers grew up as fans and want to apply their "vision".

Al Jean has been the lone showrunner for quite awhile now. This has lead to a downfall of the show as he has admitted in interviews to focusing more on appeasing advertisers and FOX rather than the fans.

The best situation would be to make season 30 the final season and go all out. Have former writers return and maybe copy South Park's past few season of having an overarching storyline.

The Simpsons was groundbreaking throughout the late 80's - late 90's. Now it is viewed as a relic to other shows (such as Family Guy) that attempt to be edgy. The Simpsons isn't edgy like Family Guy or other shows. The Simpsons (older seasons) had jokes instead of playing the common detonator.
>>
>>86812168
No, the last good production code was 5F you plebian fuck

AABF also had some good episodes like "Lisa Gets an A"
>>
>>86812298
>the show writers grew up as fans and want to apply their "vision"

Don't know the ages of everyone working there now but I'm pretty sure most are actually around the same age as the original writers (40s/50s, since most of the original team was in their 20s/30s in the early '90s). I think the main problem is either that they're out of touch, since original writers were younger than them when actually on the show, or, probably more likely, that they know they can get away with phoning it in until they get canceled.

I usually hate the whole "fans could do this better" attitude because I don't want shows etc. to just feel like fan fiction, but I think the show would actually benefit from having writers who are/were fans and who might actually give a fuck about trying to make episodes good. Feels like everyone's been going through the motions for, like, 20 years.
>>
>>86812488
>I usually hate the whole "fans could do this better" attitude because I don't want shows etc. to just feel like fan fiction, but I think the show would actually benefit from having writers who are/were fans and who might actually give a fuck about trying to make episodes good. Feels like everyone's been going through the motions for, like, 20 years.

Eh...I agree and disagree with you. Sometimes fans can create amazing fanfictions that would improve the show. Other times, they fuck it up so bad with their own vision that you want to burn the entire thing away.

I just turned 30 and grew up with the Simpsons. My view of the show would be as follows:

>return Homer to a loving father. He isn't an ass or stupid as the show has portrayed him of seasons past.
>Bart and Maggie can be left alone.
>current Lisa needs to be removed. She is nothing more than cancer on the later seasons.
>current Marge needs to be simmered down a lot. She is no longer a loving wife and more of a constant nagger.
>>
>>86812654
Homer has always been a little stupid and a little bit of an ass, but they cranked those up to 11 and got rid of all his other qualities.
>>
Simpsons is tainted.

It really can't be fixed. The next season could be better than any one previous (it won't), but it wouldn't matter, people wouldn't care because the last decade has been shit.

The only way to 'fix' the Simpsons is to create a break within the series, that the public can point to and say 'at this point the show improved'.
A reboot, is needed honestly.
>>
>>86806670
lazyness
>>
>>86806670
>60 fps vs 30 fps
>>
>>86810281
you're seriously undermining normies' ability to call out shit.

my brother in law lost his shit over it.
>>
I remember my 2D animation teacher dissing the Simpsons so much saying it always had shit animation and only relied on it's story. He was more old school and liked cartoons that could convey emotion without much dialogue.
>>
>>86806670
The writing, first and foremost.
>>
>>86810066

The shows has always been animated in South Korea
>>
>>86807474
That's kind of funny. I regard Season 12 to be the very last bearable season. The difference between it and Season 13 is like night and day.
>>
They should just rename the show to "the adventures of Lisa Simpson"
>>
>>86806670
Well clearly the problem is,
They wanted to spend more time on a hair flip in the old days
Instead of making a funny moment like they do in the new days.
>>
>>86810876
They probably quit watching at the Lady Gaga empowering Lisa episode, which is generally considered trash by having a lot of the similarities as Michael Jackson Lisa's birthday, but with almost no jokes, emotion, or interesting subplots.

It was literally just "Lisa feels good about herself, Lady Gaga gives a speech". Hardly any jokes in the episode, 0 of them good.
>>
>>86812008
Funnily enough, Futurama was perfectly on model and still had fluid natural movement.
>>
File: 000 smiley looks at you.png (56KB, 491x585px) Image search: [Google]
000 smiley looks at you.png
56KB, 491x585px
>>86810039
>game created in 2016 is responsible for shit that's been going on since 2007
>It's amazing how common sense is so hated these days.
They were making a joke, silly.
>>
>>86812298
Old Simpsons was based on shit that actually happened to MG and the writers. Homer was based on Matt's dad and to a lesser extent Matt himself. Lisa was based on how he percieved his sister, and who his parents wanted their kids to be. Bart is partially how he was (Bat Gets An F for example), partially who he wanted to be. Marge was the only one not based on anyone in particular.

But the team and Matt ran out of slice of life jokes. So they got more wacky, did more parodies. Entire punchlines were sometimes a joking reference to a black and white movie. Celebrities appeared and got a gentle ribbing from the cast.

Then Matt decided to fuel his surplus of ideas for Treehouse Of Horror into a new series, Futurama. Then Fox canceled it when they sued Matt for control of Simpsons, so he yanked all the good writers away from Simpsons to make the Futurama movies. Fox replaced them witj Family Guy writers, and the show became like Heroes where the new writing team set the new inferior standard. Which has gotten worse and worse.
>>
>>86806670
Technological advancements causing people to get lazier and lazier. Welcome to the future.
>>
>>86812802
Homer was stupid in ways we could relate to.
Spending all evening putting up lights for the holidays and having it look crappy, sleeping through a disaster, failing miserably at impressing the boss every time, doing stupid things to earn the affection of your family, and just wanting to be lazy and relax.

Current Homer is more of a literal mentally handicapped person. We can't relate.
>>
>>86818000

A pity you are too late to stop it. No one can stop me now! Selama ashal'anore!
>>
Things are looking up
https://twitter.com/cartoonlover98/status/784560206332194816
>>
>>86810876
SJW is just a catch-all boogeyman term on 4chan. Ignore it and anyone who says it.
>>
>>86818158
Did you just quote fucking Warcraft? I need to get off this site.
>>
>>86817982
This isn't true. One it makes Groening sound like he was the sole driving force behind the show when in reality The Simpsons from the start was really a big group effort.

And secondly, the show had always done wacky humor and parodies. Sure, it did so more as it went on, but that was more due to the show finding its way. For example, "Principal Charming" of season 2 had an extended Terminator parody.

If you compare season 1 to season 6 to season 16, I think you'd find that season 16 has more in common with season 6 than season 1 does. It was a VERY different show than anything after.

The show was never a slice of life. It was more grounded in the early years, but even then you had episodes like "Simpson and Delilah" (featuring guest star Harvey Fierstein - even season 2 was packed with celebrities) which is about Homer committing insurance fraud to get a miracle hair growth formula which turns his life around and makes him a success overnight. That's more of a traditional sitcom plot (which of course the show was at heart a sitcom) than a slice of life no matter how you cut it.

Matt never sued Fox for control of The Simpsons (as he had a large amount of control already, as the contract he signed in 1989 was more lenient than modern contracts and he had to fight to get a similar contract for Futurama), and he didn't "yank" the writers away to make Futurama movies, the first of which only came out in 2007 well after most people say The Simpsons began to decline.

Fox never replaced The Simpsons writing staff with Family Guy writers. If anything, the opposite is true and many FG writers first worked at The Simpsons (example: Richard Appel). Like with most shows, the writers on The Simpsons stayed for a few years, then went on to do other things. That's how its been its entire run, and that's how it is now. Al Jean is an exception, and even he left for 5 years before returning.
>>
>>86810281
I'm 18 and was still fairly young when they changed the intro (in 2011-2012-ish?? I was about 13-14) and after watching the Simpsons for a lifetime being Australian you sure as hell notice how the animation is way less dynamic and way more cleaned up and proper. Kids/normies don't like change as much as you or I do, and I missed the original opening back then and was pissed as fuck that they changed it. I used to hate the Green Lantern animated series for the shitty blocky stylised CGI as well because it wasn't normal for a cartoon and before that when I was probably as young as 5 I and a lot of other kids I knew hated/or were confused by Yu Gi Oh's generally shitty unrealistic animation. Normies aren't completely blind and they do actually love TV shows enough to notice changes.
>>
File: 87686458.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
87686458.gif
2MB, 300x225px
The thing that I just CAN'T STAND in the new seasons is the whole eyes rolling shtick.

Someone does/say something silly? Give the other character who talks to him a 5 sec screen time of eye rolling to tell us how goofy that other person is! And finish most scenes like that because people find it funny.
Even Marge's "Hmmmm..." is pretty rare without that crap.

Gif. related, how you use it right.
>>
>>86806670
cartoons have been shit since the '90s, OP

why should Simpsons be different?
>>
Reminder that Simpsons now has more bad than good episodes.
>>
File: 1455376830227.jpg (51KB, 504x598px) Image search: [Google]
1455376830227.jpg
51KB, 504x598px
>>86820257
>that episode when it turns out homer has black ancestors
>>
File: 1432123982797.jpg (106KB, 660x480px) Image search: [Google]
1432123982797.jpg
106KB, 660x480px
>mother worried about her infant daughter, relieved when she finds her daughter okay
>robot staring blankly into space
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.