[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Luke Cage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

File: marvel-luke-cage-poster.jpg (713KB, 1443x2048px) Image search: [Google]
marvel-luke-cage-poster.jpg
713KB, 1443x2048px
Is his origin story this stupid in the comics?
>>
It was the 70's, so yes.
>>
It's actually worse in the comics
>>
Did'nt knew his rigin story in the comic, but I thought it played well, from my point of view. the way they pulled out the costume, even if it was brief, was fucking great.
>>
In a previous thread I asked if the Newflix Luke Cage Show happened before or after Civil War and the Sokovia accord.

Some say before, but other actually said it took place around the time the show was released. Does anyone here know whan in the MCU timeline it actually takes pace?
>>
all your favorite comic book heroes had stupid as fuck origins in the comics
>>
>>86779257
Can't be as dumb as being bitten by a cancer fueled spider.
>>
>>86779799
It is kind of amazing how his origins stands the tests of time even though it shouldn't.
>>
>>86779257
I didn't find it particularly stupid in the show.

What's so stupid about it?
>>
>>86779305
It was interesting how his "costume" for most of it was effectively a hoodie, and then later specifically a BULLET RIDDLED hoodie that other people started wearing as solidarity. I haven't been following culture movements too closely but even I I thought that was a bit, well, yeah.

It didn't come off as too preachy to me until that moment, and even that was more of a, "Huh, I'm surprised they did that," moment. But then as I said I haven't been following the news all that closely.

>>86779799
Shut up, Spider-Pool.
>>
File: 0.jpg (349KB, 1280x1315px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
349KB, 1280x1315px
>>86779860
I was talking about THIS costume, actually.
>>
>>86779257
umad white boi?
>>
>>86779913
I know, and I know what point you're talking about him having it. However the reason I said "costume" is I was referring to what he wore most of the time.

Admittedly walking around with the suit while busting people upside the head was best.
>>
What's the best Marvel origin story and why is it Doctor Strange?
>>
>>86780176
Best Marvel origin story is the Fantastic Four.
>>
>>86780176
>>86780203
No, it's the Hulk one.
>>
>>86780145

The bullet-riddled hoodie thing wasn't really a deliberate choice on his part, though. Just a side effect of doing what he does being what he is
>>
In the comics he volunteers for the medical experiment in exchange for a reduced sentence. There were no prison fights or shit like that, just the one abusive prison guard.

Also the conflict between Luke and Diamondback stems from them fighting over Reva's affections in their youth, not that they were secretly half-brothers. She is killed by a bullet meant for diamondback while Luke is in prison.
>>
>>86780736
The show didn't actually tell what happened to Reva.Has had been told in the Jessica Jones series?
>>
>>86781208
Yes, it's one of the important plot points of the series. Jess killed her
>>
>>86781230
Ho fuck. How could I fucking forget?
>>
>>86779325
They literally mention sokovia in the show. Just fucking watch it.
>>
>>86779257
>Is his origin story this stupid in the comics?

How is it any stupider than most other origin stories?
>>
>>86779257
Yes actually
>>
>>86779325
Netflix shows are not part of the Cinema MCU.
They aren't canon.
>>
>>86781394
They are part of the same universe though, they make explicit references.
>>
>>86781394
>They aren't canon.
stop that meme
It is fucking Canon.

and say what you want about the series affecting the movies, the movies unquestionably affect the series.
>>
>>86781394
The show's canonity to the movies is indeed questionable, but the movies do affect the shows, you fucking retard.
>>
>>86780588
It's not like they weren't fully aware of the symbolism, though. Hell they played up the "black man hero in a hoodie" bit.
>>
>>86780203
>>86780209

No, it's the Whizzer, the guy who got super speed from being injected with Mongoose blood.
>>
One thing I don't understand is why no one ever mentioned Black Panther, not even in passing. I mean come on, this is an African Prince who's gone toe to toe with Captain America and his metal-armed buttbuddy, you'd think black Americans or Americans in general would have sat up and paid attention. Unless BP's role or even involvement in the whole Civil War debacle was hushed by the media
>>
>>86784199
>One thing I don't understand is why no one ever mentioned Black Panther, not even in passing.
They didn't mention Martin Luther King either, you know.
>>
>>86784199
Because he don't live in Harlem, but in a reclusive utopia where his country has an history of not giving a fuck about the rest of Africa, let alone the US of A?

I mean, even in Civil War they outright mention how they are starting to open to the rest of the world for the first time, following the debacle Ultron caused because of their stolen Vibranium.

Black Panther has never done anything for them. BP doesn't care about Black american people.
>>
>>86781394
>>86781417
>>86781521
>>86781525
They mention the attack on New York every fucking season..
>>
True, but that doesn't really answer my question, unless you're saying that if BP doesn't give a fuck about black Joe Public, why should black Joe Public give a fuck about BP....which is a valid point. No, what I was really asking was why no one mentions him, especially when they're drawing similarities between Luke and the famous supes. I mean c'mon BP even shares Lukes primary characteristic, which is being bulletproof.
I actually thought Cottonmouth would say some along the lines of, "well look who it is, the Black Panther of Harlem..". That is, of course unless they don't actually know who BP is because his involvement in Civil War was hushed up, or Civil War hasn't actually happened yet.
>>
>>86784199
What are you talking about?

They showed Malcolm X boulevard like 3 times in the intro.
>>
>>86784488
what?
is this for "the keks" as the kids say? Or are you trying to reply to my post?
>>
File: Screenshot_20161006-151150.png (346KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161006-151150.png
346KB, 1080x1920px
Posted by a bioengineer friend of mine whose research involves CRISPR. Thoughts? I've not seen the movie (show?) but his position seems reasonable. Was curious what you guys, who have seen it, think.
>>
>>86784608
as a fellow engineer I completely agree
there's absolutely no need to destroy perfectly good data, what Luke did was selfish
yes that data could be used for evil but isn't that the case with a lot of inventions/experiments/research?
just look at the manhattan project and nazi weapon and rocket engineers
>>
>>86784608

Your friend is stupid. First, in his head he destroyed the videos Reva made, in a very big bout of rage, he clearly wasn't thinking long term here. Second, he knew and we know that those data would be used to weaponize human beings, which was clearly the program objective.
>>
>>86779257
I just realised they didn't even mention the Hulk Harlem fight
>>
>>86784559
It's called a joke autismo.
>>
>>86784608
I can see where he's coming from, and agree on a deeper end, but I think he's reading too much into it.

The Doctor was and would be actively participating in torturing and killing people for this information. Which is different than just preserving data badguys gathered. From Luke's perspective he was saving people from being put through nightmarish experiments.
>>
File: 1448320994668.gif (677KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1448320994668.gif
677KB, 500x281px
>>86784765
>>
>>86784199
Cage takes place before Civil War
>>
>>86779807
Eh not really. Prisoners have always been seen as less than human in the US. Being part of an illegal experiment in one is a hell of a lot easier to maintain than say being a vet of war X or part of the space race.
>>
>>86784608

>doc help him please he's dying
>doc help me Im dying
>here's all the data you'll need
>alright, take him to the barn

>thank you for saving him
>yeah, thanks for saving my life doc
>any time, I'm going to check this research out to see how I can heal more people
>(quick, while that fucking monster is gone lets wreck the place)
>what are you guys doing!
>stopping you from hurting anyone ever again
>yeah, take that MENGELE

They made the doctor seem like an actual decent guy, rather than the typical dick human experimenter. His usual attitude was nice enough, and he seemed genuinely worried that Luke was going to die when the cop started fucking with the procedure. We don't even see him doing anything bad like vivisecting or some shit, we just see him giving dying niggas their last bath. It didn't even look painful till the cop started tampering with it.
>>
>>86779257

yup, just as bad as your sex life.
>>
>>86781329
I forgot too
I forgot most of JJ except disappointment and a lot of sex scenes
>>
>>86780736
>There were no prison fights or shit like that,
>forgetting his little chat with Shades and Comanche
>>
>>86784608
Out of curiosity, what kind of medical advances were made available from Japanese (and German) medical experiments?
>>
File: IMG_2686.png (2MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2686.png
2MB, 750x1334px
>Angel isn't on the soundtrack
>>
>>86779257
It could have at least been a yellowish shirt and blue jeans.
>>
>>86784451
I see what you're saying. The characters were talking about Luke as if he was the first black superhero, as if Falcon or War Machine didn't exist.
But maybe they were specifically referring to Harlem. NYC people always feel special about their neighborhoods lol.
But they compared him to Cap because he's like the moral crusader, busting up the bad guys because he can take what they throw at him.
>>
File: 20160928_034717.jpg (503KB, 792x859px) Image search: [Google]
20160928_034717.jpg
503KB, 792x859px
>SHIELD manages to locate a fucking normal powered chick with metal jammed into her fingers
>they don't bother with a super-powered, bulletproof man who has made multiple appearances in the news
Gotta love that shared universe.
>>
>>86786944
>AOS
Who gives a shit?
>>
>>86780176

Strange's origin > Iron Man's origin
>>
>>86784608
That's bullshit. Yeah, there's a lot of good that could come from it, but tell me that they weren't going to weaponize that.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.