[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Marvel Comics is dead. When did it die for you? What killed it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

File: ohotmu-80smontage.jpg (278KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
ohotmu-80smontage.jpg
278KB, 640x640px
Marvel Comics is dead.
When did it die for you?
What killed it?
>>
>>86766319
The incursions right? Or the Beyonders or Doom or whatever. Franklin fixed it all thouhj.
>>
>>86766319
> when
right after Seige Marvel started to die a slow death.
>>
>>86766319
>When did it die for you?
After Thanos Imperative ended.
>>
>>86766319
Hard to say. When Secret Wars started last year, Deadpool was the only book I was reading. Now there's nothing I bother reading unless it's absolute trainwreck
>>
One More Day was the final nail in the coffin
>>
When the iron man movie came out
>>
>>86766319
1932, Independence Day. Everything past that is a walking corpse.
>>
>>86766319
OMD/BND killed Spider-Man, Bendis killed X-Men and Avengers.
>>
>>86766319
When the Gentry came and destroyed Multiverse-2
>>
Endless events killed it for me.
>>
>>86767092
that too. Dark Reign was the worst
>honest guys it isn't an event at all, you got to read those 140 issues anyway though
and Siege man, how many times did one see Asgard crash down throughout the different tie-ins? 8 times?
>>
Heroes fighting each other......and the villains not making massive inroads as a result of the power vacuums created.
>>
Can't wait for Champions vs Avengers vs Inhumans: Civil War III.

Also, #woke
>>
>>86766319
Disassembled
>>
It's still Alive for me, infact today I picked up two Marvel titles and only one DC, this is usually how my pull list works week hy week. Call me a shill if you want, but Marvel still holds more spots on my pull list than DC does.
>>
>>86766319
I stopped caring and following closely in the late 90s, but there's been good things here and there on the fringes after that. Most notably 3 of my all-time favorite Marvel books: Exiles v1, Longshot saves the MU and Superior Foes. Most of the rest has been underwhelming, even some highly recommended readings from the last decade like Hickman's FF or Nextwave are kinda eh imo.

But I guess those were just the last remaining nervous twitches of a corpse.
So some time during the 90s is my answer.
>>
>>86766319
I lost interest in Marvel towards the end of the 80's when Shooter left, it just got worse from there with a few sparse glimmers of hope at what could have been
>>
>>86766319
When shit itself started and schism. That was the time I started thinking that the only reason marlel is separating the X-Men was the movies and I can assume I was right since they fucked up the X-Men completely.
>>
>>86766319
After Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers got canned. It was a solid book in a sea of shit and I was pretty bitter about it.

tbqh fampei I think Marvel has always kept me snagged with one or two titles that are great that Marvel eventually gets rid of in favor of shit.
>>
>>86766319
When Bendis the writer was given creative control.
>>
File: BtbhZCaIcAAwAPC.png-large.png (174KB, 496x330px) Image search: [Google]
BtbhZCaIcAAwAPC.png-large.png
174KB, 496x330px
>>86766319
Civil war was a break point, after that event we had big events and crossovers every 4 months.
One More Day was the end for Spider-Man.
Avengers is Disney tier.
Marvel wants to antagonize the X-men, and get rid of them.
Deadpool is a meme character, is not funny anymore.
And the "heroes fighting other heroes" is getting old.
>>
A Force.

That's when I realized Marvel was terminally ill.

No logic. No Editor In Chief. Just Pandering 24/7.
>>
>>86767092
It's pretty telling when even casuals are citing this problem with Marvel. People are literally skipping issues of what they're reading because of Civil War II tie ins, they want nothing to do with it.
>>
>>86767451

You aren't a shill, you just have terrible taste.
>>
>>86767931
This honestly. Marvel was god awful in the 90s and only had spurts of good runs/stories in the 2000s, they've been largely trash for 25 years.
>>
Civil War killed it for me, and I don't think I'll ever not be angry at it.
>>
When Remender and Hickman left was when I officially lost all interest in modern Marvel.
>>
>>86771674
I suppose, but I can hold my head up high knowing I'm not a loyalist to one company or blindly follow the advice of a handful of faceless anons with taste so very diffrent, but just as bad as my own.
>>
>>86772064
I'm not a loyalist, I buy Vision every month. Marvel has just turned into a parody of itself lately. I don't know how you can stomach their shit.
>>
>>86767451
>Call me a shill if you want
Is this a new shill line, why do Anons keep saying this? I don't think they're a shill until they copy paste this same line over and over.
>>
File: 56476.jpg (58KB, 300x456px) Image search: [Google]
56476.jpg
58KB, 300x456px
One More Day did it for me.

A pretty clear statement that Marvel was not interested in me as a reader anymore.
>>
>>86772113
>say you like anything Marvel
>dozen anons call you shill

It's not that hard to understand
>>
File: AFGcgUZ.jpg (748KB, 1272x1280px) Image search: [Google]
AFGcgUZ.jpg
748KB, 1272x1280px
>>86766319

Does anyone have a high-res of this poster? Pls post in thread. Here is mine. A lil better than OPs.

And yes the Marvel Universe is dead. The late 70s through 91 before everyone left for Image were the peak years.
>>
>>86772102
A few of their comics are bad, I just don't read the ones I don't care about. I've been enjoying Squadron Supreme, Spider-Man and Deadpool, Extraordinary X-Men, Hyperion, Spidey, Ms Marvel, Moon Knight, Vision, Carnage, Venom SK, Uncanny, New and ANAD Avengers, AN Wolverine, Silk, even champions from today. It could be because I'm not plagued wuth "NOT MUH"ism and don't advocate company wars but I've been enjoying what I've been reading from both companies.

Guess I'm one of the odd anons on /co/.
>>
>>86772298
>enjoyed Champions

That issue had literally some of the worst interior art I've ever seen from either Marvel or DC. Talk about total fucking laziness.

This also has very little to do with not muh and that's not a legitimate counter argument. Marvel has inept writers and editorial right now who's only goal is to piss off as many people as they can.
>>
Fire Axel, the born again Muslim lady,

and most importantly Sana Amanat. She's the one that encourages writers to change genders/races of long standing iconic characters, instead of using Disney marketing money and power to create new ones and promote old underused ones.

There is currently more hype from the mainstream over the Black Panther comic than there is over Iron Heart, and Ms Marvel.

Promote your old forgotten POC characters and create new ones for the tumblrinas as well. There was a movie called Big Hero 6 that showed Marvel minority characters don't have to take over someone's moniker if you actually make a quality product. Stop being so lazy.
>>
3rd hero vs hero event
>>
>>86766319

>troll/bait bs thread
>Marvel will still be there long after OP can't even keep getting welfare and his parents kick him out

Yawn. Ugh. Grow up.
>>
Things started turning to shit one by one. OMD killed Spidey despite a few good stories coming out of it every once in a while. Hulk turned to absolute dogshit with Aaron's run because every new writer on Hulk tosses out EVERY fucking thing from the previous run. Endless events. Movie synergy. Legacy characters not actually mattering worth a damn. Boring writers like Hickman being pushed.

Marvel NOW! killed off anything that could have been great
>>
>>86766319
Schism and Fear Itself

Those two arcs were when I noticed that several comics stopped caring about what has happening with the characters and took them in the direction they wanted, even if it made no sense at all. It wasn't that they were dropping plot points or something like that. Yet. I took it as just two bad events (together with Chaos War which was really boring)

WatXM happened. The characters just began to act completely different - nothing that happened seemed to matter. As I was still hyped as fuck from binging through messiah trilogy I didn't mind one bad comic. Then AvX happened, it -looked- good, writers seemed passionate about it, but the ending was just stupid, and all the plots it began where dropped almost instantaneously.

Then Bendis takes over and it all goes to the shitter. At this point I pretty much dropped marvel except for /co/ storytimes. On the Avenger's side Hickman was throwing some really nice ideas around but decided to shit on everything when they told him he had to kill the FF and use Thanos for movie synergy.
>>
>>86767348
Wasn't that literally the plot of Dark Reign? The heroes fought each other in Civil War, then lost the public trust even further during the Skrull invasion, so the villains took over.
>>
>>86767092
This. Throughout the 2000s they just got shittier and shittier. You just get burned out. It wasn't all bad, but the quality seemed to keep dropping. Secret Wars was the perfect endpoint for me and I haven't bought any Marvel since.
>>
>>86772295
If you're in NYC Midtown Comics near Times Square has one up in the entrance. It's amazing, I really want one of those.
>>
>>86773702
<Then AvX happened, it -looked- good, writers seemed passionate about it, but the ending was just stupid, and all the plots it began where dropped almost instantaneously.

AvX was truly terrible about characters acting as the plot needed, not as they should act. Everyone had to be a moron or pointlessly turn on old friends for it to work.
>>
>>86773810
I don't recall any event post Civil War were the characters are not OOC.
>>
>>86766319
The Schism and AvX bullshit fuck that was shit
>>
>>86766319
After they went bankrupt they were never the same again. I mean they were mostly shit ever since Secret Wars 2 but at least they had a few good comics and Epic to read.
>>
Sometime in the early 00's. Kang Dynasty was the last story that I legitimately enjoyed and then I switched to Ultimate Spider-Man before that got shitcanned.
>>
File: marvel creating force.jpg (31KB, 427x556px) Image search: [Google]
marvel creating force.jpg
31KB, 427x556px
>>86766319

Dan Slutt + Humberto ramos killed a spiderman collection that being built since 1969 (father, uncle, me).

never again...
>>
>>86766407
Correct
>>
>>86766319
Avengers Dissassembled is where I mark the start of the fall.
>>
Marvel died with Secret Wars.

the 1984 original
>>
>>86766319
Bendis x-men. Dropped it finally at issue 27 and never bought another comic again. I story time here and there so I'm not completely lost, but I think I might actually walk away from it all completely if something doesn't give. Every character and team just need to go back to their own universe time and comic. Stop trying to se them all interact.
>>
>>86774973
Probably. Considering the original Secret Wars was only created to sell toys, it was the beginning of their poor business practices to sell comics instead of just writing good books.
>>
>>86774973
>>86775017
This is honestly a lot more true than most people want to admit. It signaled the end of the creative explosion of the post-kirby era, and ushered in the 90s, which would prove to be deadly. Marvel has never recovered from this.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.