[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just got caught up with The Comet episode, so Finn is god?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 6

Just got caught up with The Comet episode, so Finn is god?
>>
>>86742746
It's super vague, but it implies that Finn MIGHT be God, but without knowing it, and the comet isn't sure either.

Just do what everyone else does and pretend the conversation never happened, because it was just so damn stupid.
>>
Finn is some sort of celestial being. Like the Comet and Gunther.
>>
>>86743385
What conversation? Is OP's image a Fan title card? Cause this isn't a real episode.
>>
>>86742746
>>86743385
>>86743661

No, you guys didn't get it. It was saying "you" to Finn but it was talking to Finn as an instance of humanity collectively. It was saying all of us are God and made the universe and then chose to live inside it as people to learn something new about ourselves. There's nothing special about Finn, it could've been any other human talking to it just as easily, and in fact it's fine with taking Finn's dad instead of Finn because it's a collective humanity thing it was speaking to, not an individual person thing.
>>
>>86742746
AT really went to shit around Fire and Ice/Breezy. The grape soda episode was good.
>>
File: askmewhatitmeans.png (663KB, 999x800px) Image search: [Google]
askmewhatitmeans.png
663KB, 999x800px
>>86742746
>>
>>86742746
No wonder this show's getting shitcanned. First relationship time, then "deep" bullshit like this.
>>
File: what-does-that-say-about-PB.jpg (81KB, 590x486px) Image search: [Google]
what-does-that-say-about-PB.jpg
81KB, 590x486px
>>86744078
So athiesim
Also the whole thing with Finn's Dad being there made me think of Tyler Burden from fight club.
>>
>>86744557

>atheism

No, God exists, he just exists as all of humanity because that's the form he's most recently chosen to exist as.
>>
>>86744557
That character was a huge mistake.
>>
Nigga he was just reincarnated that's all
>>
Finn is the reincarnation of Haruhi Suzumiya
>>
>Not making Finn have god powers in a fucking world where candy and skeletons talk and breed
Wasted Potential
>>
>>86744133
>>86744472
They really should have just ended it with Mortal Folly/Recoil like Penn originally planned.
>>
>>86744557
More like pantheism, really

which I personally find even more annoying
>>
>>86742746
This is where I finally gave up on the show
>>
>>86742746
No we are all god.
>>
>>86742746
Finn is just the reincarnated soul of a god living as a regular dude, or something dumb like that. I don't get how people don't understand this.

It was stupid but everyone always makes it sound far stupider than it really is.
>>
>>86746582
Well, it's was the original ending, so nothing lost, right?
>>
>>86742746
>>86743385
no
https://www.reddit.com/r/adventuretime/comments/3tdh3b/may_i_come_in_take_her_back_episode_discussion/cx62rkz?context=3
>I've noticed a recurring misunderstanding of Finn-as-cosmic-god variation. I guess I blame myself for not being clearer, at the same time the focus of my writing in S6 was to NOT be clear all the time. If it helps at all, as a personal footnote- Finn is not a cosmic god or whatever. He's just a normal human. His soul was delivered to Earth by a comet but It should be understood that Earth is as cosmic as the comet. We all derive from the same source material. The theme of reincarnation is used to illustrate how connected we are through time, not just Finn. Finn is special because we're all special. Even butterflies and piles of pink glowing turds.
>>
>>86746310
that would be fucking stupid and you know it.
i know Finn's kind of boring now but making him a literal god isn't the way to get around that.
>>
>>86746371
Was that the original plan? Wasn't a bad one.

Of course there are later gems like Goliad, the first Card Wars, and that one kinda more recent dungeon crawler. Most others, like relationship shit, greybles, that alt universe, or anything to do with "lore" like the owl were shit.
>>
>>86747073
>I don't get how people don't understand this.
Because in just about every culture, the reincarnations of deities are either the exact same as those deities or people with the exact same powerset as those deities
So people are confused about why finn isn't some sort of demigod or wizard
>>
>>86747256
But like, did they watch the rest of the show? Has Finn ever seemed to be a cosmic figure with vast power and shit?

I can see how some people could be confused about it, but if you think about the episode a little bit you should realize that it's completely off base, ya know?
>>
>>86747295
>Has Finn ever seemed to be a cosmic figure with vast power and shit
Beyond the fact that he's probably the last human alive, no, which is probably extra confusing because why would it even matter that he's a reincarnation
Like, why even introduce the concept if they weren't going to go somewhere with it? Why does it matter if it has no bearing on anything?
People just expected stuff to happen in later episodes.
I mean, it's not an unheard of notion. In Avatar the Last Airbender, Aang found out he was the avatar before he showed any avatar powers, at most there was a predisposition towards a set of toys that the Avatar had.
>>
>>86747169
I mean they've given him a transforming cursed thorn arm and look how that's treating him.

It's more like they couldn't be trusted to handle a power set given to him.
>>
>>86746371
[citation needed]
>>
>>86747365
>Like, why even introduce the concept if they weren't going to go somewhere with it? Why does it matter if it has no bearing on anything?
Same guy you're speaking to and this is a legit question to ask. They made a big deal about Finn being a space god or whatever, even though it makes no difference and he isn't special at all. Guess you gotta do some shit to make the protagonist important even if its meaningless.
I guess it was also there as a reason for Finn to give his whole "I like where I'm at right now" speech.

That aside, I still think it's pretty clear Finn was just a regular dude even with the ambiguous set up of it. Even if they flat out said he was a god, if he never did anything god-like then it doesn't matter at all and stuff.
>>
>>86742746
>so Finn is God
No, I don't intend to come off as condescending but where and how did this notion appear? The catalyst comet tells Finn he is a reincarnation, and it offers him a way out, to be a space deity essentially. Martin likes the idea and takes in the offer in Finn's place. Finn wanted to stay in Ooo and see where the ride takes him, similarly to Daoist beliefs.
>>
>>86747127
>there is only one correct interpretation
>>
>>86747471
You're allowed to interpret stuff anyway you want but that doesn't mean an interpretation can't be dumb and lack any evidence.
>>
>>86747434
>if he never did anything god-like
demigods don't always have to do godlike things in order to claim their destiny
But weird things have happened to/around finn, like his latent psychic abilities brought about by being angry at his dad
And gods in the AT universe don't have to be all powerful, they just have to represent something, like Abraham Lincoln was a kind of god
>>
>>86747365
>reincarnation goes nowhere
Are you familiar with Samsara? Being a reincarnation is NOTHING special, and was not revealed, more hinted at by Finn in "The Vault." Shoko was one of Finn's past lives. What do you mean go somewhere with it? Do what? What would you want them to do?
>>
>anancient evil returns to life and instead of immediately attacking it, Finn and Jake we're just floating there casually talking to Orgalorg, losing any real sense of dread

That's when I realized writers dont even care about this show anymore. Even the voice actors. Jeremy Shada and John DiMaggio seem bored of Adventure Time
>>
>>86747516
Demigod was never brought into this shit though, it was full on space god stuff, and I figure shit like that would be noticeable to a viewer.

I feel like the evidence you're giving is pretty weaksauce stuff that can be chalked up to standard magical BS.
>>
>>86747499
There certainly are wrong answers, instead of giving one interpretation, it would have been better to tell them why they are wrong, or why they misinterpreted what they saw. If that was your intention.
>>
>>86744557
It's non-theistic.
Like Buddhism.
>>
>>86747564
It's wrong because there's no evidence for it bud.
And the writer flat out saying so in the other post. Yeah Death of the Author and all that but you're still wrong.
>>
>>86747544
Meanwhile Jeremy Shada attends the Florida Supercon. If they were bored they wouldn't bother to show up to the conventions across the country, which they do. NYCC is coming up.
>>
>>86747603
>hurr youre wrong and im right
Can you guys grow out of this fucking childish mentality already?

You told the OP no, and then posted one interpretation. This implies that you consider this interpretation to be right, and since this interpretation is right, OP is wrong. This is illogical; there are multiple interpretations to something.

If your intention was to explain to OP why he is wrong, tell him why his interpretation is misguided, not post one interpretation. Wrong about what? Fuck talking with people like you is annoying.
>>
>>86747669
Holy smokes look at that autism.
OP's wrong because he misinterpreted the scene, and usually media does not let every single audience member come up with their own version of the story. Usually there are correct interpretations of things, and if there is a correct one there must be wrong ones too.

No need to get testy amigo.
>>
>>86747616
Hey it's a free paycheck. And Shada said in that Florida Supercon vid that AT is a consistent line of work which of course is a good source of income for a VA.
>>
>>86747537
>Are you familiar with Samsara? Being a reincarnation is NOTHING special
Samsara is a concept in several different religions, such as hinduism, there's a god that reincarnates several times which each reincarnation doing some cosmic deed to restore balance

>Shoko was one of Finn's past lives
Reincarnation in AT isn't typical because Shoko shouldn't even really be a ghost

>>86747549
>it was full on space god stuff
I got that, but Finn is described as a human and I along with everyone this whole conversation is about assume that he wouldn't be a full god, or at the very least he would later become a full god after shedding his humanity, like the disney movie hercules

>I feel like the evidence you're giving is pretty weak
I'm not arguing any real position, this is all subjective, I'm just trying to detail why certain people thought certain things when faced with things that differed wildly from the precedent that was set
>>
>>86747669

>one interpretation

It's not just "one interpretation." It's the fucking writer's explanation of what he actually meant. The god thing isn't specific to Finn, it was talking about everyone with Finn being one instance of that everyone-god. His dad was just as valid of an instance of it, which is why he got to go with the comet to ascend to a higher plane in Finn's place.
>>
>>86747706
You didn't answer anything, how did he misinterpret the scene? There are right and wrong answers, we already covered this.
>>
>>86747759

>how did he misinterpret the scene?

The same way the writer explained people were misinterpreting it in that earlier post: by thinking the comet was just talking about Finn in particular and not realizing it meant everyone was God experiencing existence as all the living things in the universe. Finn, Finn's dad, and any other living thing would've worked just as well for the purpose of the comet's conversation. That's why the comet has no problem taking Finn's dad instead of Finn.
>>
>>86747738
You've completely butchered what Samsara is. It is just reincarnation, more specifically Hinduism. It happens to EVERYONE, and depending on your deeds, Karma, it will determine your Varna, your caste. The concept of reincarnation comes from Hinduism, they spread this idea all over Asia. What Finn experiences is reincarnation, not exactly in the Hindu beliefs, but the idea of reincarnation; that you live multiple lives. Shoko literally is Finn's past life, the concept just doesn't work in the Hindu sense.
>>
>>86747757
I'm not saying you're wrong, you just didn't do a great job of telling OP that he is.
>>
>>86747544
Orgalorg wasn't cool enough to prompt a serious reaction in them. He was just some big dumb space squid that sounded like Jack Nicholson.
>>
>>86747825
>You've completely butchered what Samsara is
I wasn't attempting to explain Samsara, I was simply saying that your point on reincarnation being nothing special isn't really completely true if you're the reincarnation of a god, like Vishnu, or potentially in the case of Finn being a reincarnation of that space god meteor thing
And I say potentially, not because there's any proof of it, but because it's just a thing that many people assumed
>>
>>86747936
You're begging the question, Finn is not a god.
>>
>>86747471
The guy basically goes out of his way to say that it's a "personal footnote", saying that there isn't one interpretation. The whole point is that it wasn't meant to be clear.
>>
>>86747926
And The Lich was just a walking skeleton
>>
>>86747972
Who WAS actually cool, and voiced by Ron Pearlman. World of difference there.
>>
>>86747962
I didn't realize the poster of that reply also made the post he was referring to.
>>
>>86747951
>Finn is not a god
He could have been if he chose to be
The comet says he could enter a new mode of existence
Finn isn't a god because he chose to stay human
>>
>>86747981
You do not see the irony here? Do you not see how this way of thinking goes nowhere?
>Lich
>cool
Top kek. The most powerful being who only wishes to destroy all life gets killed by a sweater. A teenager and his dog can take down a god
>>
>>86748039
...therefore Finn is not a god. You didn't contradict anything. What is your intention?
>>
>>86748040
The irony is that I have opinions? Which are different depending on context?

And Lich was really fucking cool. He isn't the most powerful being ever, he's just a skeleton who really hates life and is evil. And reminder for you, he wasn't at full power at that point, and Finn was full of heroic willpower so he could rip his bony ass apart.

Finn killing Lich with a pink sweater was multitudes cooler than him using his gay grass arm to one shot Orgalorg.
>>
File: image.png (127KB, 385x386px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
127KB, 385x386px
How do we fix him, lads? To most people who dropped the show, they cite Finn being boring and his arcs being trash. He also noticeably lacks behind characters like Marceline and Ice King in terms of popularity.
>>
>>86748106
I'm just getting at you at how you describe Orgalord; it isn't fair.

I'm just meme'ing you though
https://youtu.be/FrlymHW0qU8
This scene always gets me
>>
>>86748126
>I listen to memes from shitposters
Finn's fine, other than still being 5ft nothing is "wrong" with him
>>
>>86748062
>You didn't contradict anything
But the very fact that he had the choice to become a god just proves that he wasn't just another "NOTHING special" reincarnation
And that his link to his previous god avatar meant at the very least he had an important destiny, journey, and decision that would culminate with his powers being decided (the decision being none)
which brings me back to my point of reincarnation meaning something if you are reincarnated from a god
But, like I've said before, I'm not actually arguing anything
I'm just explaining how people like me, who thought that Finn might do something god-like based on his previous incarnation, thought
>>
>>86748147
The fact that Ron Pearlman just saying "fall" makes me shudder angers me. That man has too good of a voice.
>>
>>86748126
Make him excitable again
>>
>>86748147
Ah okay then man.
Sorry to say but Orgy did nothing for me, from how quickly he was built up as a big threat to getting cast down so easily. Even then the damn show didn't have the guts to finish him off, they just tucked him away in case they need another big bad guy for another season finale in the future.

Lich has always been cool, but I think he has the odds stacked in his favor since he was always designed as the one awesome and serious villain who got lots of attention from the show and stuff.
>>
File: 1463371694656.jpg (53KB, 474x595px) Image search: [Google]
1463371694656.jpg
53KB, 474x595px
>>86742746
Finn is a Space God
>Still gets cucked on a daily basis
>>
>>86744234
>TGWTG
Ew.
>>
>>86748170
Everything about him screams "Could have been executed better" though
>>
>>86748126
Just have him go through more significant change I think. He's matured throughout the show but nothing's really come of it, I would think it would have really affected things more than it did.

Aside from getting an extremely long overdue design change his relationship with basically every character should have changed a lot, along with like his role as a hero and stuff.
I don't know.

But I think Finn is a super interesting character at his core, the show just needs a better platform to demonstrate that. Maybe season 8 I guess.
>>
>>86748177
You're not proving that Finn is a god. Mortals can be made into deities, and happens somwhat frequently in Greek Mythology, one that comes to mind in Dionysus. But just because a mortal has an opportunity to become a deity, does not make them a deity; they are still mortal. Reincarnation is nothing special BECAUSE IT HAPPENS TO EVERYONE. A fork from Trump might be special, but that doesn't mean forks are special. How is he supposed to do god-like things when he isn't even a god, or rather be expected to?
>>
>>86748226
Overused bait/10
>>
>>86748238
You can't please everyone, so there isn't a point in trying to. Sure they could have done something better, but who are they to tell them how to write the show? Why don't they do it? Not saying you can't have criticisms, just imput upsets me.
>>
>>86748263
>You're not proving that Finn is a god
I'm not trying to
Again, I'm just explaining what I thought

>Dionysus
Some myths portray him as a son of Zeus, a demigod given full godhood after his trials, which ties into my next point

> Reincarnation is nothing special BECAUSE IT HAPPENS TO EVERYONE
Depends on what the author says
IRL, specific beliefs say that reincarnation happens to everyone, but this is a cartoon with it's own set of rules because it isn't real life
It just depends on what the author/belief is and a bunch of people including me thought that Finn's reincarnation was special
Particularly because we haven't had any other references to reincarnation so we went off of assumptions

>How is he supposed to do god-like things when he isn't even a god, or rather be expected to?
Well the how comes from his opportunity to go with the comet and change his existence into something cosmic
the expected to comes from the fact that he was the reincarnation of a comet
>>
>>86747544
It kind of helps that Orgalorg was a arrogant, yet chill, asshole that assumed everything would go in his favor.
He didn't even wonder what would happen when he actually reached the comet.
>>
>>86748355
Dionysus is a demigod, demigods do not usually become gods. In a Greek sense, they are a god of something, being of descent from a god is not what makes you one. Oh so you guys expected to see Finn do god things despite not even be one just because. Got it.
>>
>>86748147
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2k7Jf9xO3g
The Lich gets the best speeches.
>>
>>86748417
>Dionysus is a demigod, demigods do not usually become gods
I don't think the definition of demigods actually means anything in the context of the conversation
And some myths portray Dionysus as a son of Zeus and another god, thus not a demigod at all, which would be my actual point
It literally just depends on the story, and because we aren't writing the story, we just have to assume things

>Oh so you guys expected to see Finn do god things despite not even be one just because
I mean, the fact that he was a reincarnation of a comet that brought life to the planet wasn't actually touched upon before this episode, so it wouldn't be completely illogical to assume Finn might actually do more god-like things
And not everything/one/being that becomes a god does god-like things to become a god, sometimes people are just really heroic and they become some sort of smaller lesser but not demigod, I think there are a few examples of that in asian mythologies
>>
>>86748553
Dionysus IS Zeus's son, no matter the variation he is still a demigod that became a god.

>Finn should do god things because I say so.
>>
>>86748637
>no matter the variation he is still a demigod
Except for the variations in which is born a full god because he's the son of Zeus and Demeter or something

>>86748637
>Finn should do god things because I say so
Again, not arguing things, just explaining what I thought would happen
I thought finn would do more god things because he now remembers that he was previously a comet in a past life
There are tons of manga where characters suddenly gain powers simply because of a special cosmic event or destiny or something, why would Adventure Time be different?
The answer is there is no answer because we weren't writing the story so we don't know how the story would end
>>
>>86748434
Has he seen any development in recent episodes? I dropped AT a long time ago and this scene was the last thing I remember the Lich being in.
>>
>>86748948
Nah, he's still buried in the gigantic baby and hasn't done anything past that episode. He'll bust out of there eventually, probably.
>>
what happened to Billy
>>
>>86748200
I can't get how the staff fucked up so bad building a villain like Orgalord. They had like 7 episodes to form a great villain. The Lich was introduced in one episode (the other was only a cameo) and still was more intimidating at the episode that Orgalord on all his run.
>>
>>86748972
Fuck. I really liked Lich. He's the only antagonist the story took seriously until the whole Babality thing. I also wish Prismo didn't get revived.
>>
File: tumblr_mklde2aTG81s7jqhoo1_1280.png (310KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mklde2aTG81s7jqhoo1_1280.png
310KB, 1280x800px
>>86749095
>Prismo killed and episodes later revived.
>Finn destroys his arm and 10 episodes later the arm is back.
>Jake became dad, his childrens grow in an episode.
>Finn gets a gf and she dumps him after an error and not giving him a chance to redeem himself.
>Marceline from vampire to not a vampire and then back to vampire without any notable change in the main series.
>Ice King's girlfriend from the past goes to the present to save him, but gets crazy and doesn't do shit after.
>Finn's real dad is alive. It's a douchebag. Staff's daddy issues intensifies. Instead of explaining his backstory, the staff use him for a season and then get him out of the show without explaining shit.
>Big meteor about to destroy a big part of the Earth. Event hyped as fuck. 1/2 of a season talking about it. The episode happens. The meteor doesn't do shit. It can talk. Tells Finn he's a god. Gets out. Nothing else and people doesn't seem to care a fuck.
>Orgalord becomes a thing. A meme turned into a villain. Hyped as well, but no viewer cares about him. Dies 7 episodes later.

I understand now why is getting cancelled.
>>
>>86749454
I hope the staff steadies thenselves in what arcs they want to give attention to and close/leave open. Cause if they rush to close doors, it's REALLY gonna leave a stain on the series as a whole.
>>
>>86749454
Took the words right out of my mouth. Didn't know the show was getting canned though. Doubt they can bring things to a decent close if it gets rushed.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.