[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what makes a good cartoon good? what makes a bad cartoon bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Cq91wTZXEAE912b.png (13KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
Cq91wTZXEAE912b.png
13KB, 120x120px
what makes a good cartoon good?
what makes a bad cartoon bad?
>>
>>86635510

its plenty of things, it depends on the genre and the target audience. the timeless cartoons are ones that everyone can enjoy, and aren't a pain to look at. but that doesn't mean cartoons for an older audience can't be good, just that they are more prone to fucking it up (family guy is a big one)
>>
>>86635510
Whether I like it or not
>>
Its only good if it panders to my political thinking.
>>
>>86635510
Depends. Good for who?
>>
>>86635510
If it's a comedy, does it succeed at making people laugh with them, not at them? Even if you don't think the jokes themselves are funny, do they objectively hit some sort of funny timing where you could see the merit in it? Or do all the jokes make you cringe and think, "God, I saw the punchline coming from a fucking country away".

If it's a drama, does it engage you? Do you feel for the characters? Are you emotionally involved with them more than you should be with fictional characters, do you want to find out more? Or is your immersion broken when you think, "They handled that issue THAT way???" which makes you think about the production of the show rather than just allowing you to watch it.

If it's action, is it exciting? Are there some creative moves here and there? Were you on the edge of your seat seeing what the characters might do next or rooting for them fighting? Were you impressed by the choreography or presentation of the fight? Or was it boring and all you noticed was how static the characters were or how the fight didn't really add anything other than padding out a scene.

Then there's characters, but the above is just the gist of things.
>>
>>86635510
Depth.

Shows like adventure time and Steven universe do well because there is a deeper plot that is never really revealed. But keeps you watching for hints of it.
>>
What makes eating food good? What makes eating shit bad?

Really makes you think
>>
File: Baiting.jpg (34KB, 550x633px) Image search: [Google]
Baiting.jpg
34KB, 550x633px
>>86635510
>Making an objective poll on a subjective matter
>>
>>86636610
to call cartoons an entirely subjective matter is absurd

there are elements of cartoons that have objectivity such as the animation and voice acting
>>
Animation and length of the piece.

Story doesn't mean as much, it's important sure but animation is a more visual medium. Much like video games, the most important part is the gameplay, not the story.

Not saying story has no place in these mediums but putting too much focus on story or the message will result in neglect in the visual aspect or the gameplay and thus shit cartoons or video games.
>>
>>86636649
True, but that goes as a given. This stuff usually delves into subject matter, pacing, artstyle, tone, character archetypes and lots more. I wouldn't be all too surprised if everyone decides to throw their two cents into this thing and it reaches 300 posts or something. Or not.
>>
personal taste
>>
>>86636610
If storytelling, filmmaking, and animation were "subjective", there wouldn't be thousands of books dedicated to teaching it.
>>
>>86635510
>what makes a good cartoon good?
It's funny
>what makes a bad cartoon bad?
It's not funny
>>
>the protagonist has to be a male of the pure white superior master race
>no continuity
>all the chicks want the protagonist's dick
>protagonist kills for fun
>everyone is hot
>everyone is straight
>each episode blows a movie's worth of budget on action scenes
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.