[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comics For Kids

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Gotham Academy.jpg (84KB, 400x615px) Image search: [Google]
Gotham Academy.jpg
84KB, 400x615px
Help me out /co/. I'm the cool uncle my niece and nephew (8yrs. and 9yrs.) hang out and watch cartoons with. I want to be the cool uncle that brings them entertaining comics. What are some good comics for for kids Gotham Academy looks cute, fun and simple for teens and pre-teens, is it something appropriate for them? Any other recommendations?
>>
you're not gonna be the cool uncle by bringing them comics you know. Though if you are intent on doing this, I feel that stuff like DC's Scooby Doo and Scooby Doo Team Up books are easy to digest for kids. If they want something not as kiddy you can probably get them Teen Titans but I doubt they'll fit its target demo, Gotham Academy is more for the YA crowd take that in mind. As a kid I loved Young Justice (David's Run) so maybe that? But I don't think that has trades, the IDW books are also pretty good but some of them are pretty mature. Maybe Lumberjanes? But I never really read it so I have no major opinion on it. I heavily un-recommend most of Marvel's "Different" books like Hellcat and Mockingbird since those shit are defo not for kids. Squirrel Girl is fucking stupid, I suppose Moon Girl is pretty safe.
>>
>>86341879
>you're not gonna be the cool uncle by bringing them comics you know
I'm already the cool uncle who watches cartoons with them and takes them to Disneyland, anon. But I can be even cooler.

>I feel that stuff like DC's Scooby Doo and Scooby Doo Team Up books are easy to digest for kids.
Ah, that's right. I forget DC has the Hanna Barbara stuff right now. Thanks, man.
>>
Even most adult stuff isn't really that bad in comics.

Just get them a couple of Batman TBPs or any other hero that you might like.

They're not as complex as you're imagining it. It's your hobby so it's normal to elevate it more than what it actually is in your mind.
>>
Archie digests
Bone
Asterix
>>
Bandette, Battling Boy and its Aurora West spinoffs, and the graphic novel adaptation of A Wrinkle in Time are pretty safe and fun choices.
>>
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur is a good pick for kids if you want something recent.

DC also has new trade collections for the old BTAS comics they published while that show aired.
>>
>>86341804
Pretty much avoid Marvel at this point, a lot of the ones you might think would be age appropriate are dreck.

Gotham Academy is a bit YA, something they might appreciate in a year or two. Superior-Foes is out in trade paperback, your kids would probably like that when they're 12 or 13---I think it doesn't even have swearing, if I remember right.

Bone is good, and it comes in individual books now from Scholastic (which colored it, though I still prefer the B&W).

Depending on what cartoons you watch with the kids, they do have comics for some of them. Regular Show, Clarence, Steven Universe, I think Gumball had some.

What do they like? Easier to narrow it down that way.
>>
My aunt got me Archie and stuff like Garfield and Peanuts, I liked them both
I quickly got out of kids comics when I discovered the library a couple years later
I read sandman at 11
>>
>>86341804
Comics based on BTAS and the Teen Titans cartoon have been getting reprinted lately.
Batman and Robin Adventures and Teen Titans Go

Also there is a digital first going on right now called Teen Titans Go that is based on TTG that's airing right now

And then there's Tiny Titans, Tiny Titans: Return to the Treehouse, Legend of Wonder Woman

Though for teens you can probably just give them whatever, not just all ages titles
>>
That "Marvel Adventures" line that they had some years ago that /co/ loved, it had an Avengers line, Spiderman and Power Pack, don't know how hard it is going to be to find.
>>
DCAU tie ins Superman adventures and Batman/Gotham adventures are the best cape comics for kids. Silver age stuff like Superman and Superman's pal Jimmy Olsen are great for kids too. They're collected in Superman in 50s/60s and the amazing transformations of Jimmy Olsen.
Most of the newer kiddie cape stuff is a bit juvenile and dry. A few all ages like Ms Marvel and Gotham academy are good, but for kids stuff comes off as a bit stupid. Especially the art baltazar books.
>>
>>86342250
>What do they like?
Good question! We actually watch primarily movies. It's a wide variety, Disney, DreamWorks, Illumination, etc. and even older material like Land Before Time. They don't watch much TV, but currently like a bit of Teen Titans Go and a few Hanna Barbara episodes. So I don't think genre is going to be an issue. I'm really looking for more just generally solid recs.

Of course, when I was a kid around their age I went straight to teen action comics like X-Men and Spider-Man, so I'm not too concerned if stuff like Gotham Academy is more YA oriented. Just as long as it's fun, entertaining and reasonably understandable.
>>
Get those Carl Barks and Don Rosa Donald Duck comics.
>>
If you're giving them books, the Calvin and Hobbes collections are pretty inexpensive on Amazon and are timeless classics.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.