[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is this laika's magnum opus? will they ever make another film?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5

File: kubofeatured.jpg (3MB, 2865x1933px) Image search: [Google]
kubofeatured.jpg
3MB, 2865x1933px
is this laika's magnum opus?
will they ever make another film?
>>
No that's still Paranorman.
>>
>>86030450
This.

Kubo was fantastic, great action, great characters, suprisingly adult ending, but I like Paranorman's humor and dark themes even more.
>>
>>86030523
>adult ending
pfffffft...
>>
>>86030435
They're already working on their next film and have 2 more ideas lined up. Travis Knight (director/CEO) said their next film would not star a child protagonist, and would be very different from their other films (though it'll still be stop-motion). So I don't think you need to worry about Laika not making films...They're in it for the long run.
>>
>>86030842
i'd heard kubo bombed and the studio was going under, guess there wasn't any truth to that
>>
>>86030435
I would agree with the other anons that Paranorman is one of their best. They'll be making other movies, I can't wait to see the Gundam movie they're doing.
>>
>>86030884

The dad of the guy who owns Laika owns Nike.
>>
>>86030435
Is Nike selling shoes? They'll keep making movies. Personally, I see it similar to an old Italian-style patronage, and apparently inde stop motion is the form of art Nike has chosen to sponsor.
>>
>>86030884
What? No way, man. We've talked about this plenty on /co/. Kubo did bomb, but it hasn't reached many international markets yet, and Laika doesn't depend on box office revenue for funding. Travis Knight is the son of the CEO of Nike so he's totally loaded. Money is not an object for Laika. So no worries, they're not stopping anytime soon.
>>
>>86030913
>>86030921
>>86030932
i'd been avoiding threads because i wasn't able to see the movie until today and didn't want to get spoiled. but that's great news!
>>
>>86030932
Well it's at 40million now. It might hit 100mill like every other liaka film though it's probably banned in China.
>>
>>86030435
They better
>>
Daddys money pisses me off so fucking much

But kubo was so fucking good.

Why did they replace grandpas memories of immortality? Even though the lies made him a new person, it was a complete shunning of the central theme of the movie:

Memories are important and shouldnt be forgotten or changed

Lying to grandpa in the end, even for the storys sake, was wrong.
>>
>>86032107
Memory is important but for him those memories meant being the moon king, the other theme of storytelling is what matters here. With his new story he's been given a new life as a human surrounded by the goodness he had been willingly blind to
>>
I didn't expect both of Kubo's parents dying by the end of the movie, jesus christ that was dark 9/10 no regrets

Box office stands at $40M out of $60M budget so it stands a chance of breaking even. I think Laika has a few more films in them.
>>
>>86030842
>>86030435
It used to take Laika two years to produce a single film which is understandable for the sheer amount of work they put in. But now they're transitioning to working on two projects at a time in order to put out a movie every year. Hopefully this won't have a drastic effect on the quality of their work. It'd be a shame to lose that.
>>
>>86033426
More children's movies really should discuss the concept and how to deal with death, rather than the cop out last minute resurrection B.S., that final scene was perfect imo.

Hanzo got gyped though.

Kubo was very good in dealing with it's themes, humor was a little hit or miss though.
>>
you're still a tumblr colony right /co/?
This might be the first time I've actually been miffed about white washing did anyone else feel this way
>>
>>86033874
No why? Think of it like Hunt for Red October, no one wants to listen to broken english for 2 hours
>>
>>86033874
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DhoBuU1Dtc
Friendly reminder that actual nips don't give a shit about "m-muh whitewashing"
>>
>>86030523
>>86030450
Except it is in black and white. That's boring.
>>
Tell me more about your fascinating asian culture.

pass.
>>
>>86030523
>surprisingly adult ending
>"You don't have loved ones and that's why you will lose!"
>The villain's entire motive was his twisted devotion to his family
>>
File: image00.jpg (119KB, 800x602px) Image search: [Google]
image00.jpg
119KB, 800x602px
>>86034031
I think you might be confused.
>>
>>86030896
>I can't wait to see the Gundam movie they're doing.
Wait what?
>>
>>86030523
>suprisingly adult ending
>bad guy turns into a giant snake and hero beats him with the power of love
I liked the movie too but cmon
>>
>>86034337
Kinda ignored all of the stuff that happened before and after that fight huh?
>>
>>86033874
It bothered me a little too, and I dont usually mind. But some characters voices just took me out of the setting.
>>
still my guitar gently weeps~
>>
with some tweaks this couldve been an 9/10 easy
still, it was pretty fun so why do they keep bombing?
>>
>>86033874
>>86034902
Can someone explain the whitewashing complaint to me, because I honestly don't understand what the issue is or what people want.

Do people want the characters to be voiced by Japanese VAs? If so, for what purpose; do they want the characters to have accents? If they were voiced by Japanese VAs without accents, would that still be considered whitewashing? And if they were voiced by Japanese VAs without accents, then what effect would that have on the movie or the characters?
>>
File: The-Last-Airbender.jpg (471KB, 638x911px) Image search: [Google]
The-Last-Airbender.jpg
471KB, 638x911px
>>86035194
It's more or less about getting Asian actors hired for roles that are clearly Asian. Which is understandable for on-camera, but gray when it comes to voice-over.
>>
>>86034902
Are you one of those kids that thought you knew a foreign language because you understood what they said with an accent? Do you as an adult try to emulate the accents of the nationalizes of foreigners you speak to and think deep down inside you are speaking their language?

I honestly don't know why you would give a shit otherwise.
>>
>>86035355
Not him but I think what he's saying if everyone else speaks in a vaguely Asian accent and suddenly McConaughy comes in with distinctive voice it is kind of jarring. I don't care because it takes all of a coupe minutes to get used to but some people are more sensitive towards it. More of a problem with casting choice instead of a racism but I'm not a fucking faggot so what do I know.
>>
>>86035355
Meant for >>86033874
>>
>>86035319
Well that's an entirely different debate. My question isn't from an industry perspective, but from a storytelling perspective; what is the issue as it relates specifically to the movie and how would the movie be improved if that issue was addressed? Or is the complaint only a broader, industry focused one, and not about the movie itself?
>>
>>86033874
I wouldn't call it whitewashing but I was sort of annoyed how they americanized some stuff instead of just going all the way with it.

>>86034020
Friendly reminder that it doesn't matter what nips who don't actually know anything about the context or situation think.
>>
>>86035486
I look at it like an issue with the movie people extrapolate into a larger social issue. Which is retarded.
>>
>>86035546
>god forbid people get in the way of me being offended for them
>>
Laika creates gorgeous animation, takes its subject matter seriously, and fills a much-needed niche in western animation, but its subpart writing keeps their movies from being truly great. Kubo is especially guilty of it with most of the movie being comprised of a pointless fetchquest that is rendered moot a minute into the climax.

I love Laika and I'm glad they're around, but I don't love their movies as much as I feel I should.
>>
>>86035451
But nobody had an accent except maybe George Takei, although he just sounded more like George Takei than anything else.
>>
>>86035570
That's not how I see it at all, and rather than being offended I'm just disappointed as usual. Whitewashing is more of a issue with Hollywood blatantly changing characters and denying certain actors because a white person is more marketable. It only affects people in the west for fairly obvious reasons. Most of those people interviewed didn't have a fucking clue about the situation and why would they? If they were actually picking actors based on acting ability and whether or not they fit the role I wouldn't have a problem with it.
>>
>>86035546
Go back to tumblr where people give a shit.

>>86035577
I thought we were talking about accents used in general. What accent does he have anyway?
>>
>>86035546
This is what I don't understand. What was Americanized, what didn't they go all the way with? Again, is it the voices? What should they have done?

>>86035547
If this is in fact the case, then it has nothing to do with the movie itself and wouldn't have improved the movie, so complaining about this aspect of the movie and making an issue out of it seems pointless.
>>
>>86035655
I honestly can't really remember what specific parts I had a problem with. Like I said I don't think it was a big issue I just felt that some moments in the film felt off because of the mishmash. I totally understand why they did it for american audiences.
>>
File: 1472864059509.jpg (60KB, 412x627px) Image search: [Google]
1472864059509.jpg
60KB, 412x627px
>Not knowing Lakia is powered by Nike
WAKE UP SHEEP!
>>
>>86035645
That's not whitewashing more than miscasting then, dumbass. Some people's voices sometimes just don't fit the role they're supposed to be playing and you can kind of tell when it's a celebrity cameo.
>>
>>86035703
But I'm not talking about Kubo, anon. I was specifically talking about that GiTS video and said that I didn't think there was any whitewashing in Kubo.
>>
>>86035319
But japan has japanese people play everyone in japanese anime how is that any different. In live action I can understand butu animation is different.

The only way it's justifiable is if they used Japanese VAs speaking in japanese.
>>
>>86035194
There's a big shortage of work in the acting/VA industry for Asian/nonwhite actors, which is particularly glaring when white people are playing/voicing Asian characters.
I think it's the degree to which Kubo is Fake Japanese while giving jack shit for roles to Japanese VA's pisses people off. Even Tumblr didn't care about Channing Tatum in The Book of Life because he was surrounded by actual Hispanic voice actors.
>>
>>86035718
The GiTS thing was pretty awful. Like Makoto can be in any body but that was clearly supposed to be japanese at least in context. Not to mention the trailer was pretty shit in general. There's no way Scarjo can pull makoto off.

Hell getting her English Va to do it would have been a fucking improvement.
>>
>>86035748
Japan is 95% ethnic Japanese, and most of the rest would look pretty Japanese to a westerner.
Also, Japan is racist as fuck.
>>
>>86035718
Oh, sorry about that.

>>86035768
Because affirmative action fixes everything.
>>
Nope, its Coraline by far

Kubo's story was incredibly fucking weak

>but it's like Japanese myths
and Japanese myths are also shitty stories
>>
>>86035748
The thing is Japan has the excuse of being very insular and generally xenophobic. That doesn't make it okay but it does mean that there's much less they can do about it and way less people who even give a shit.
>>
>>86035793
>Not to mention the trailer was pretty shit in general
There's a trailer out already?
>>
>>86035800
So? The people who made kubo chose actors who were most fit for the direction they wanted to take. They happened to be white. Poor asian voice actors. Maybe if they were better they would have gotten the role. Unless there were explicit limitations in the casting call which should always be call out on. Then it's just a matter of talent.
>>
File: 1472430296410.jpg (26KB, 500x422px) Image search: [Google]
1472430296410.jpg
26KB, 500x422px
>>86035837
I found the plebeian!
>>
>>86035860
You and I both know that isn't actually how this works.
>>
>>86035856
Sorry I meant the pictures we got.
>>
>>86035870
name one thing about Kubo's narrative that was in any way interesting
>>
>>86035874
Do we? The only person who wouldn't have been recast were the A-list actors. The rest of them had to work for it maybe they had connections but this was essentially an indie movie. With a bunch of unknowns and 2 famous voice actors.
>>
>>86035837
Coroline was better overall and by that metric beats Kubo who's last act was weak in my opinion but everything leading up to it was pretty great and surpassed Coroline.

>>86035874
Yeah, that's why we have shit VAs like Charlyne Yi still shitting up every role they land. Equality!
>>
>>86035768
So the issue is entirely an industry one and has nothing to do with the movie itself. They cast the big name actors in order to sell the movie and because they felt they were good in their roles.

But what about Kubo's VA? He's on Game of Thrones, but nobody knows his name; they didn't cast him to sell the movie. So they probably felt he was the best actor for the role. Should they have then gone out of their way to hire an Asian actor. Would that have even solved the issue? What if the Asian actor they hired was Chinese, shouldn't that be just as controversial? And again, what effect does the ethnicity of the VA have on the movie itself?
>>
>>86036080
Japanese here, it is more contextual than always binary. I personally couldn't give two shits if they're "white washed" 99% of the time for the sole reason that if they do a good job I don't care. I do however get pissed off if any of it is done with "progressiveness" and "diversity" in mind. This calls into mind of making original characters be a certain race to be "inclusive". Annoys the shit out of me for the reasons on why the change was done than any change.
>>
>>86035649
I don't think anyone had an accent, at least not a noticeable one. And I guess he has a slight Japanese accent, but his voice is pretty recognizable in general, and not because of his accent.
>>
>>86030435
I don't really see why everyone keeps ragging on the story so much, I thought it was great.
>>
I understand that Paranorman is a good film, but I think /co/ often sings its praises a little too much.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.