[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: /co/ adaptations which are superior to the source

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 20

File: bambi.jpg (51KB, 640x474px) Image search: [Google]
bambi.jpg
51KB, 640x474px
I read Bambi recently. It's a good book, especially if you're into xenofiction (realistic animal) books, but the film is far superior. The book is a lot more bitter for one. Bambi's a bit of a jerk and a deadbeat dad, even if that's realistic for deers. The death of Bambi's mother is almost unnoticeable. So many characters already died that chapter and Bambi doesn't really react to it. He just can't find his mother.

Fun fact though. Bambi and Faline are cousins. Faline also has a twin brother named Gobo who was taken in by humans as a fawn. When he came back as an adult he ended up getting shot because he approaced a human thinking he was friendly.
>>
Fritz the Cat
Roger Rabbit
>>
File: Charlotte.jpg (148KB, 1128x635px) Image search: [Google]
Charlotte.jpg
148KB, 1128x635px
Charlotte's Web
>>
>>86013272
>Fritz the Cat

Honestly the Fritz movie was pretty faithful to the three stories it adapted. Dunno why Crumb got his knickers in a twist about them.
>>
>>86013106
The Secret Service.
>>
File: time to punish Bambi's mom.jpg (263KB, 400x607px) Image search: [Google]
time to punish Bambi's mom.jpg
263KB, 400x607px
>>86013106
>>
File: olv43VW.gif (849KB, 245x150px) Image search: [Google]
olv43VW.gif
849KB, 245x150px
Most of the villain origins from batman tas
>>
The Secret Rats of NIMH. The book is good but the movie is better.
>>
File: dumbo.jpg (71KB, 500x665px) Image search: [Google]
dumbo.jpg
71KB, 500x665px
The book for this is just a short children's picture book that would have been completely lost to obscurity if not for the movie, so it not hard to beat. It's still pretty much lost now, actually.
>>
File: nimh-2a.gif (85KB, 500x272px) Image search: [Google]
nimh-2a.gif
85KB, 500x272px
>>86018542
I have mixed feelings about this one. Among many animated films, I rate Secret of NIMH very highly, while among similar books I only rate the book so-so. So it should be obvious which version I prefer. Yet I still consider the book to have serious advantages over the movie in certain areas. Like, no matter what I try I still just can never justify the presence of the magical amulet in the movie. It makes for a much prettier climax and all, but I prefer how the book plays things a little closer to its science theme and doesn't need or try to bring in magic. I also like how the book can expand a little on what the rats did between escaping NIMH and settling in the garden, but that's a normal book vs movie kind of advantage.
>>
The animationed adaption of The Plague Dogs had a much better ending than the book.

Or well "better" I guess ;_;
>>
>>86015274
I think because Fritz wasn't scummy enough fro Crumb. Fritz is a lot worse in the comics. Instead of saving the horse girl from her neonazi boyfriend he rapes along with them.
>>
File: Toothless_dragon1.jpg (14KB, 312x327px) Image search: [Google]
Toothless_dragon1.jpg
14KB, 312x327px
Haven't read the book, so I'm going entirely by assumption. Is How to Train Your Dragon the movie better than the book? It kind of seems that way.
>>
>>86020164
They're different enough from each other that names of dragons/characters are mainly where most of the similarities are. Personalities and stories don't have much similarities.
>>
>>86019993
he also seduces a girl, then kills and eats her
>>
>>86020329
That's disturbing
>>
The Guardians of Ga'hoole books were way better than the movie adaptation, Legend of The Guardians.
While the visuals were stunning, the movie was lacking in exact detail. I mean, they had a time limit and they were combining the first three books together but they changed some of the character's personalities just to appeal to the audience.
Although I'm still happy they made the movie, regardless, the books are better. They're much more in depth stories than what the movie let on.
>>
>>86013106
i feel coraline is a better movie than a book
>>
>>86020618

I disagree. Coraline's personality is more appealing in the book and I like her better with black hair.
>>
>>86015215
I've wanted to lewd that spider since I was a kid
>>
>>86020164
I have a feeling some film fans would think that way.

Honestly i'd say they're so different that their strengths and weakness are incomparable.
>>
>>86013106
(Disney's) The Little Mermaid
(Disney's) Fox and the Hound. I read this one since when I was young I really liked animals and foxes in particular, but it's a total bummer and downer. Everyone dies. Like, everyone. The fox, the fox's cubs, the fox's vixen, the hound, some of the neighbors, and the hunter eventually commits suicide. I can't even fathom why the book was written. It's almost like a fucking funeral durge, and reminds me of "The Gray" which was similarly awful in every single respect. The book has almost nothing in common with the film. The dog and the fox were not friends at all in the book.

>>86019993
>>86020329
Jeez, yeah the movie was better just because I didn't hate Fritz. I wouldn't have liked him at all in the comics.
>>
>>86019742
NIHM is a masterpiece. Ive considered reading the book, how is anon?
>>
>>86020164
The books and movies are nothing alike.

There are names of the characters, similar types of dragons, but that's where it ends.

The book is so different from the movie, they shouldn't even be considered the same.

I recommend reading the book. It's quite interesting.
>>
>>86024851
Sorry, forgot to remove my tripcode. Just ignore that I used it.
>>
>>86023016

God, don't remind me of The Little Mermaid. I am "reading" it (aka listening to an audiobook on Youtube) and Anderson had to put his sad Christian stuff into it.

>humans have souls
>mermaids do not
>humans have an afterlife
>mermaids just die

What sort of God creates beings like that? Why the human favorism? No wonder many modern Christians tell their kids that pets go to heaven too. The opposite is depressing and weird, especially with sentient beings like mermaids.
>>
>>86019742
The magic works in the movie because it's never explained. It almost hints that above the very science that evolved the rats, there's something even bigger in the future. It shows that even a world so small has implications for something so big it can't even be explained.
>>
>>86024371

Not that anon but I'm four chapters in and I like it. I admit, I like the designs in the film better though (they're more stylized).

I wish Blum still made films. He is one of the few who would adapt something like Tailchaser's Song or Warriors without censorship.
>>
>>86023016
If you ever feel like reading another book with foxes dying, I recommend Hunter's Moon by Garry Kilworth.
>>
>>86013106
The sequel is better than the original movie too. It's a lot more cliched, but also a lot less boring.
>>
>>86013272
this
>>
>>86020329
Eats her in which sense?
>>
>>86025152
He was at one time going to do a fantasy movie called Satyrday that is apparently based after a book that's out of print. It's a real shame.
>>
>>86024371
It's worth a read. Pretty simple low level reading and not very long, so it's not like you'll waste much time picking it up, and it is pretty good.
>>
File: aristaseeswatudidthar.png (155KB, 368x354px) Image search: [Google]
aristaseeswatudidthar.png
155KB, 368x354px
>>86025025
A lot of people theorize mermaids are a metaphor representing gay people, and the idea they don't have souls has a lot to do with how gays were treated as sinners and freaks just for being stuck homosexual. It's supposed to seem unfair.
>>
File: satyrday.jpg (15KB, 300x233px) Image search: [Google]
satyrday.jpg
15KB, 300x233px
>>86029885
Forgot my image.
>>
>>86013272
I read "Who Censored Roger Rabbit?" and it was actually pretty good...not great, but a decent bit of "WTF?" with a weird ass hook and a surprisingly sad ending.

I also learned what ratatouille was from it.
>>
File: Iron Giant.jpg (27KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Iron Giant.jpg
27KB, 1280x720px
>>86013106
Even the Author thought it was better.
>>
File: 3632993150_cd277f5fbf.jpg (65KB, 466x329px) Image search: [Google]
3632993150_cd277f5fbf.jpg
65KB, 466x329px
>>86013106
>Bambi's a bit of a jerk and a deadbeat dad, even if that's realistic for deers
>>
>>86013106
Bambi was kind of a self-absorbed jerk in the movie, too.

>>86026826
THIS. It also uses some details from the book left out of the first one.
>>
>>86026826
>>86032117

Since when do people genuinely enjoy the sequel and not just the characters?
>>
>>86025025
>What sort of God creates beings like that?

Anderson. Did you get your faggot panties in a bunch because Tolkien had different rules for death when it came to Men an Elves?
>>
>>86030000
So does that mean Ariel was a tranny and Ursula was the devil? Kind of makes you feel better about how it didn't work out for Ariel in the book.
>>
>>86032561

>>86032117 here, I watched it twice in cinemas, so... since ever?

Great soundtrack, beautiful scenery, loved the characters, and it makes for a FAR better story than the first one, which is basically just "shit happens". I wish Disney stayed on that track, specially for 2D animation.

Also, Patrick Stewart as the Great Prince. Seriously, that was pretty great.
>>
>>86032922
False premise. Disney sequels are direct to dvd.
>>
>>86032581
Pretty sure Anderson and Tolkien were separated by 75 years of time.
>>
>>86015274

Crumb was the original Hipster. He would have only been happy if the Fritz cartoon had languished in obscurity. That it only has achieved cult status bothers him
>>
>>86033021
It was released in cinemas in my country, lucky me. I believe it was at least in France, as well.
>>
>>86032581
Not him, but always bothered me that elves supposedly had a limited existence.
That's one reason I hate stories about robots, too.
>>
>>86019813
Plague Dog's book ending was they get rescued by Rowf's owner while trying to swim to that island.

With Snitter joking to Rowf that they found heaven. Only bad end was for the Tod. And the Tod was always sort of doomed.
>>
>>86033131

I thought Elves were functionally almost immortal, so that made up for their lack of souls. It sort of balanced out.

Truthfully I'd rather live forever with no soul then die after ~80 years and go to a heaven.
>>
>inb4 watchmen
>>
>>86033200
By "supposedly limited existence", I meant, "they only last as long as the world". Once the world is done, so are they.

I'm not sure if the world is supposed to have an end in Tolkien's universe, but if it does, that's it for elves as well. Not "forever".
>>
>>86032104
I like the Kelly strips that give you an insight into his personal life. If you put this and a few others together you learn he's not only did he walk out on his family but fails to understand why his now grown up kids don't like him and don't want to reconnect with him.
>>
>>86032711
I don't think she was a tranny. I think maybe the metaphor was more trying to get at how Eric being around her was bad for him.

The metaphor works a lot better in Oscar Wilde's mermaid story.
>>
>>86020529
I dropped the series after the second or third book focusing on a fucking flashback. Does it get any better?
>>
File: Cat_of_Murder.gif (58KB, 1081x754px) Image search: [Google]
Cat_of_Murder.gif
58KB, 1081x754px
>>86029812
this sense
>>
File: peach crew.jpg (20KB, 450x301px) Image search: [Google]
peach crew.jpg
20KB, 450x301px
>>86015215
>>86021858
Speaking of lewd spiders and better adaptations...
>>
>>86015215
>see qt spider waifu material
>instantly wonder why it has antennae
>spiders don't have antenna!!!
>>
>>86015215
I can't sleep, Charlotte.
>>
>>86020164

Overall, the books are much more silly. Lots of crazy things happen. The movie is a very conventional story in comparison.

To summarize the main differences, the Vikings had already domesticated dragons many years before Hiccup. Book Toothless is very small and weak, but, like all dragons, has a massive ego and is generally an asshole, but a loyal asshole, to Hiccup. All dragons can speak, and Hiccup is one of the few humans that learns their language. Book Hiccup is much more reliant on his wit to save himself from bad situations. There is no Astrid, but there is a daughter of a neighboring tribe that is less of a love interest and more of an adventure companion. There is an important recurring villain that doesn't appear in the movie at all.

Describing the other differences would start giving major spoilers for the books. Suffice to say that I find the movie, though extremely well executed, lacking the uniqueness of the books.
>>
>>86023016
>The Little Mermaid
Not at all better. In fact the adaption misses the point so hard that it almost feels deliberate.
>>
>>86036722
whats the point
>>
>The Bambi film is better than the original book

You shut your whore mouth. At least the book doesn't have pointless, annoying comic relief characters that end up taking up 1/3 of a movie that's barely over an hour long.

I still think they're both amazing in their own ways
>>
>>86036899
mermaids don't have souls and will never go to heaven
>>
>>86033572
>mermaids are gays
>Ariel goes under a dramatic bodily modification to try to be in a relationship with a normal person
>somehow she's not a tranny
>>
>>86013106
What

The movie was garbage and cut out some of the coolest parts of the book - like his rivalry with what's his face and a bunch of little details. The book being bitter not and so silly is what made it better. I was 8 when I read the book and watched the movie a year later and even childish me was pissed at how they changed it
>>
File: SatAM.jpg (16KB, 300x226px) Image search: [Google]
SatAM.jpg
16KB, 300x226px
>>
>>86036914
What.
At the end, the main mermaid earns the opportunity to earn a soul or something, no?
>>
>>86033332
That wouldn't make sense. The only reason why the movie is /co/ is because the source material was. Not to mention the fact that the graphic novel was better anyway.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (111KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
111KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>86036979
Sure sure ken penders
>>
>>86036999
Don't you start playing those jewish mind games with me.
>>
>>86034917
I heard there's going to be a live-action adaptation. I wonder what the bugs will look like
>>
File: bienemaja.jpg (8KB, 185x197px) Image search: [Google]
bienemaja.jpg
8KB, 185x197px
No hornets choosing death over dishonor, for one.
>>
>>86036899
Sometimes life is unfair and you don't get what you want even if you try your best.
In the movie she does the most stupid shit and has the happy end handed to her by other characters.
>>
Unironically Shrek
>>
>>86013106
>The book is a lot more bitter for one.
Wasn't the point of the book to write a realistic piece of deer fiction?
>>
>>86036223
Alvin pops up in the tv show
>>
>>86034842
Is...that a dodo bird?
>>
>>86030000
>>86025025
It seems to be widely accepted that Anderson himself was gay, or at least bisexual with a preference for men. The Little Mermaid is thought to be a somewhat autobiographical story with the titular character representing himself, and the prince representing a man he was in love with who married a woman.

There are no real villains in the story--the sea witch is just someone the little mermaid approaches who offers her a possible solution to her problem, and she doesn't really have anything to gain if she fails. The woman the prince marries is just some lady he falls for, and there's nothing bad about her either.

The books mentions that the little mermaid is very beautiful, talented, pleasant, graceful, and essentially perfect, even from the prince's point of view, but that he is for some reason incapable of falling in love with her. This, and some other metaphors Anderson throws in, kind of changes how you see the story once you find out his orientation.

I found the story kind of interesting, regardless of whether you take this into account--a complaint that some people have about Ariel is that she kind of whines about wanting more throughout the movie, and at the end she's rewarded for it. In contrast, the little mermaid doesn't complain once, puts forth an enormous effort, and she is NOT rewarded at the end.
>>
>>86036979
Sonic Boom is better tbqh famalam

Unpopular opinion but I feel like SatAM is overrated
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 259x384px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 259x384px
Kick-Ass
>>
File: bellebeast.jpg (78KB, 732x507px) Image search: [Google]
bellebeast.jpg
78KB, 732x507px
In the original Beauty and the Beast, there was no real character growth on Beast's part.
Rather than being a angry loner who learns love and patience, he is actually a gentleman from the very beginning.
Beauty is also very passive throughout the story, and doesn't have the same yearnings and interests that Belle does.
There is no Gaston. The only characters that might qualify as villains are Beauty's spoiled sisters. While Beauty is enjoying her time at Beast's castle, she asks him to let her visit her family, which he lets her do. Her sisters make her stay a bit longer than she planned to, and when she returns, she finds the Beast lying on the floor, dying from loneliness. Then she tells him she loves him, and he turns handsome, and they marry like in the Disney version.
I guess the original story promotes the whole "don't judge a book by its cover" message, but as a magical fairytale it's laughably dull.
>>
>>86038366
The original didn't just have a "don't judge a book by its cover" message. It was written for girls getting arranged marriaged off to much older men. The idea was that by getting to know your new husband who wasn't exactly what you'd been dreaming of and giving him a chance, he'd become a handsome prince in your eyes.
>>
Disney's adaptation of The Little Matchbook Girl is GOAT.

>>86032581

Never read LOTR but I know Anderson based his stories on his religious beliefs. That's why The Little Match Girl was a 'happy ending' for him. The girl went to heaven.
>>
>>86015215

The writer of the book actually hated that adaptation. He thought it was too fluffy and he loathes musicals. Same with Dahl and Willy Wonka.
>>
>>86039244
When I think of Dahl the first thing that comes to mind is that story where that dude gets slaughtered like an animal because he didn't stay a vegetarian. I don't think any animated adaptation will ever get Dahl right.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.