[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is the vision not selling?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 5

File: 4887932-01.jpg (341KB, 844x1280px) Image search: [Google]
4887932-01.jpg
341KB, 844x1280px
>>85974602
>the average Marvel reader, why on earth would they care about that -- regardless of its quality -- when interconnected and all that jazz has been the forefront of the universe for decades
Well thats the best explanation we have so far.
There has to be some reason its not selling we know its not lack of quality and we know its not lack of advertisment.

Which brings us to a worrying question.

Would the vision have sold better if it had used Ulysses for the prophecy instead
>>
Probably not. The problem's self-evident: It's about the Vision. Comics sell almost solely on name brand and marketing alone.
>>
>>85979167
This. Replace "Vision" with "Spider-man" ya got gold. Of course that still embodies the same dumbass mentality of your average comic consumer.
>>
>>85979167
But they marketed the shit out of it.

Maybe /co/ are the only ones who think its good all the other websites seem to hate the flintstones after all.
>>
The real question is, would it sell better or worse if it was an Image book?
>>
>>85979123
The reason why Vision isn't selling well is because Characterfags don't care about Vision and thus write the comic off and no longer care. Shit, even I was like this until I sat down and read the first two storytimed issues, after I got the back issues I missed and put it on my pull list. People just don't care about Vision and don't want to read a comic about him.

The reason why Spider-Man, Harley Quinn, Batman and Deadpool sell so fucking well is because of character fags, because let's be honest, aside from a few gems, the comics starring these four characters have been shit for the last 5 years now, quality doesn't matter in the comic world.
>>
>>85979226
>Maybe /co/ are the only ones who think its good
It is highly regarded. But most comicbook fans will remain buying Civil War II and Batman books because they don't care about quality.
>>
Its really quite sad marvel finaly makes an effort to do something good and it just backfires horribly.
>>
>>85979238
That's a good fucking question. How does one even break in as a new writer for image? Do you just beg people to buy a book by some literally who?
>>
>>85979123
I can tell you why, being involved with a LCS enough to know how it all works.

There are too many fucking books. Marvel has like 80 books a month. Most people buy 5-10 titles a week. They can't get everything. After getting all the Avengers/Batman/whatever they get they're not even going to look at something like The Vision to add to their pull.
>>
>>85979226
>But they marketed the shit out of it.
lmao, no they didn't. Compare the FemThor marketing to what they gave this book. No contest.
>>
>>85979270
DC did the same with DCYOU. Now we just have fucking Rebirth which I'm bored to tears by.
>>
>>85979278
I imagine you want at least one of the members of the creative team to be a known name to go with an unknown. i.e. pair up a new writer with an established artist or vice versa so that you have some sort of existing audience.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-09-02-21-28-51.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-09-02-21-28-51.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>85979284
They gave issue 1 of vision away for free in one of the best books on their line, they marketed the Fuck out of Vision. Characterfags just didn't care.
>>
>>85979123
Because the characters on the cover are not white, I'm tired of SJWs ruining comics by getting rid of as many white people as possible. Not gonna spend money where fucking robot SJWs go around killing white people
>>
Continuityfags ruin everything. What a shocker.
>>
We can just hope it does well in trade.
>>
>>85979384
How did watchmen do in floppy
>>
>>85979384
Who cares? King is DC exclusive now and Marvel has no intentions of making good books right now. They just announced 3 events before their new relaunch as even begun.
>>
>>85979355
Haha.
Android lives matter anon.
>>
>>85979355
vision is literally a cis white man anon. he's so straight and so white he built himself a life in upper class suburbia outside washington DC. he's probably a republican and certainly a gun rights supporter.
>>
>>85979343
That's a retarded way to market something. If you give something away for free, you're devaluing it. How often do you get free stuff handed to you that's actual quality?
>>
>>85979278
>How does one even break in as a new writer for image?
You either have to be good at twitter and have previous established work in the form of a webcomic, or working in another company. Or a really outrageous premise that shakes the internet and gives you free publicity.
>>
>>85979413
>They just announced 3 events
kill me
>>
>>85979355
You know there was that one bit where they made a bit of a joke about getting rid of indian mascots do you think that would have triggered tumblr if the book had sold.
>>
>>85979421
Not to the Avengers.
>>
>>85979438
Theres 11 other issues anon.
>>
>>85979404
irrelevant, it came during a perfect storm of comics going "not for kids!" news articles
>>
>>85979438
Pretty often actually, that's usually how samplers of things work, you get a small bit which makes you want more.
>>
>>85979413
DC
>announces small contained crossovers with names good writers involved
Marvel
>announces the same "HERO VS HERO DIVIDED NOTHING WILL BE THE SAME EVER AGAIN" with random Xs thrown into the title
>>
>>85979413
I care because if it starts to sell well in trade in a few years as people realise how great it is marvel will be willing to force this sort of thing through even when its a little below cancellation.
>>
>>85979483
like cocaine
>>
>>85979301
Theres something for everybody in rebirth anon.
Im excited for dark mansion of forbiden love.
>>
>>85979516
Isn't Vision already doing way below cancellation? I can only guess people in the office read the script and decided, "yeah we're printing this no matter what".
>>
>>85979530
Or cream cheese balls
>>
>>85979549
Yeah but if it flops in trade they will be reluctant to do the same thing in future.

I can only guess people in the office read the script and decided, "yeah we're printing this no matter what".
I hope thats what happened it would mean there is still some shread of artistic integrity left at marvel.
>>
>>85979547
Still no Captain Shazam
>>
>>85979584
He was in superman and hellblazers rebirths at least.
Its coming though it has to be right
>>
>>85979281
Pretty much this.

Plus when books are four are five dollars an issue, that makes it difficult and ultimately not worth it to sample different series. Especially when you can wait to see if a book hits its stride and then pick up the trade if you hear good things about it.
>>
>11/15 Vision # 1- 42,119
>12/15 Vision # 2 - 36,107 (-14.3%)
>01/16 Vision # 3 - 34,807 (- 3.6%)
>02/16 Vision # 4 - 19,070 (-45.2%)
>03/16 Vision #5 - 18,636 (- 2.3%)
>Vision 6 19,028
>Vision (2015) #7 (MAR) - 19,623
>>Vision #8 (Marvel) - 22,460
>Vision #9 - 20,785
>Vision Vol. 1 Little Worse Than Man - 3,566 (June)
>Vision Vol. 1 Little Worse Than Man 1,562 (July)
>trade was #4 on NYTimes list
it's doing ok
>>
>>85979658
That's what they said with New 52, and DCYou, at least we got Thunderworld...
>>
Vision is art plain and simple and real art has and never will sell well because the masses are fools who can't enjoy anything that isn't dumbed down garbage. In the future it will be given the credit it deserves as the medium pushing piece it is but until then it will wallow with all the other misunderstood masterpieces from past and present.
>>
>>85979516
>marvel will be willing to force this sort of thing
No they won't. By all accounts, Vision is a fluke. Marvel doesn't care about quality at all, they just want your variant and event bucks.
>>
>market solely with crossover events and deaths and shut down high quality but underperforming comics
>act surprised when the consumer base you've cultivated isn't interested in quality
Marvel and DC dug their own graves

Even their distribution mechanism is ass backwards, it's a million times easier and more convenient to get a comic from a win-o-thread
>>
>>85979735
>>01/16 Vision # 3 - 34,807 (- 3.6%)
>>02/16 Vision # 4 - 19,070 (-45.2%)
The fuck happened are peoples taste really that shit that over 10000 people decided not to keep reading
>>
>>85979812
The first 3 issues were basically given to retailers for free.
>>
>>85979812
>are peoples taste really that shi

Yes. Marvel fans get excited at every hero vs hero event announcement. They're cancer.
>>
>>85979432
No he's a completely unhinged insane machine desperately trying to create a meaninglessness perfect family based on a flawed human concept of a nuclear family which will never work because he's not fucking human
>>
>>85979404
It did extremely well in floppies.

I'm the person referenced in the OP, and the rest of that post is relevant, IMO. (tl;dr: it's easy to convince people to give "unusual" or non-mainstream comics a chance if you already have a bunch of decent series going on)

The main reason why Watchmen was a success was that the rest of DC, at that point in time, was releasing some of the best comics they'd *ever* release. Crisis on Infinite Earths ended a few months prior; TDKR started with the last few issues of COIE.

With the big advertising push that DC had for Watchmen (and with Moore, at that point, being a bonafide good writer, with not only Swamp Thing but TWO major and good Superman stories), it was easy as hell to convince people to give it a shot.

Vision...didn't have any of that. King's good, sure, but he was (and still is) a bit too new to confidently think everything would be good. And certainly, Marvel hasn't maintained enough quality outside of Vision to convince people that it would actually be good. Because, you know, "boy who cried wolf" syndrome and all that.

Marvel having too many books certainly hurts, but being
1) based on an unpopular character
2) not heavily in continuity
3) not important to the Marvel Universe going forward (due to #2)
along with all of the reasons above....There's just too much going against its popularity.

new tl;dr:

The only way to convince people that a new series is good is if your current crop of stuff is good. Otherwise, why would anyone believe you?
>>
I personally never buy floppies.
They are a pain in the ass to store.
I heard good things about vision so I'll pick it up in paperback.
>>
>>85980870
I share your opinion on floppies, the only reason I have a pull list at all is for the 15% discount on all other items and to support the store itself. The comic shop is in the lobby of the cinema I used to work at in highschool, so I get the discount on drinks and snacks too. Before I got all of my comics in tradeback form and usually ordered off Amazon.
>>
>>85980129
This was the same reason Omega Men was nearly cancelled
>>
>>85979432
And yet he goes around killing white people. Let me know when he honors some equality and kills black people as well
>>
>>85979123
For me the combination of decent writer, unknown artist and character I don't particularly care about made it a pass.

I did end up buying the trade largely because /co/ won't shut up about it.
>>
>>85979812
That's normal for any new book. Remember those figures are what retailers are ordering not what readers are buying.
What happens is the publisher will have a lot of incentives for retailers to over order the first couple of issue, variant covers, extra discounts, that kind of thing. Speculators will pick up some of the excess the rest will go into the discount bin.
After the promotion ends the orders will drop back to what retailers can actually sell. Look at the numbers for any new or relaunched book you'll see a similar drop.
20,000 is pretty decent for a less well known character in a limited run, I expect Marvel are pleased especially if it also sells well in trades
>>
>>85979123
>it's some C-lister
>King isn't established name
>>
>>85979123
It's really good, but it's serialised enough that it doesn't really work as a monthly. After issue 3 I decided I was going to wait for the trade paperbacks and I reckon that's where it will get most of it's sales
>>
>>85983557
I hope so.
Im a dcfag and i still want marvel to finaly have a must read miniseries to compete with watchmen and all star superman.
>>
>>85983502
>>King isn't established name
I don't know where you're going with this. He ISN'T an established name. We all loved Grayson. We all love Sheriff of Babylon and Omega Men and and Black Death in America won an Eisner.

Nobody knows Tom King. They can't sell a book on his name alone. Not yet.
>>
>>85979123
I think this series ties into the Marvel U too much as it is. Fuck marlel retards.
>>
>>85984361
Well, this isn't it. It's fairly good though.
>>
Did Marvel announce some complete edition of Vision already? Because you know 18$ for 6 issues is a bit too much...
>>
>>85984767
>Because you know 18$ for 6 issues is a bit too much...
Welcome to marvel. They'll probably come out with an "omnibus" down the road and charge 30 bucks for it. Meanwhile Complete Omega Men is 14 bucks or something.
>>
>>85984522
>We all loved Grayson. We all love Sheriff of Babylon and Omega Men
We rarely buy comics. Also Black Death of America didn't win the Eisner.
>>
>>85984782
25.99 is the MSRP. Cheaper on Amazon and IST of course.
>>
>>85984782
Omega Men is actually 25$. Twelve issues and worth every cent, but damn.
>>
The book isn't interesting by normalfags standard. People don't want to hear a robot talk about existentialism in their capeshit by an almost literally who writer. Only way this book was selling is if somebody like Morrison was writing it, then everybody would know it's a book "cool" people would buy. That's just how casuals mindset work.
Besides it's not doing bad at all. Trade sold fantastic in DM and it was on NYT bestsellers list. People are hearing the praise and getting around to checking it out.
>>
>>85984979
>it was on NYT bestsellers list
but not on BookScan (especially for the Vol. 1 TPB's release month). Does the latter have a certain bias?
>>
>>85985001
I don't know how they really defer desu family. But rest assured trade is doing well.
>>
File: l8fg4d2gpryquvgfqjn4.png (2MB, 800x1258px) Image search: [Google]
l8fg4d2gpryquvgfqjn4.png
2MB, 800x1258px
Is the girl's leg going through his head in the second panel?
>>
>>85985106
Yes, she phased through him
>>
>>85979123
No one reads comics.
>>
>>85984938
>>85984973
Huh. Still I can buy that entire run for less money than I'd pay for one volume of Vision.
>>
IMHO a definitive advatange of DC is that they have minis and GN as an entire field. It is easier to pick up Batman than Spider-Man because with Marvel you have to go with at least a few dozens runs and God may have mercy on your soul if your faborite character gets involved in an event.
For this reason I welcome the Vision approach because you get a good story with clear beginning middle and end. The publishing style is closer to DC. Or Vertigo and I think this is a good thing. Also it is less time consuming.
I know that it is more risky from a publisher standpoint because yiu must produce good chunks of content but it improves quality.

I am sorry to bring company wars into this but it illustrates my point.
>>
>>85979226
All reviews were through the roof and lots of youtube channels bring it up multiple times as a must read.
>>
>>85985450
I was about to say
>because King is a DC exclusive now and therefore marvelfags are boycotting the book
for teh lulz, but I see I am right.
>>
>>85984979
NYT bestseller list provides a HUGE bump to sales in novels, no clue how it does on comics. But a lot of people will check something out if they know it's on a NYT list. Hopefully this provides a good bump to it too
>>
>>85979355
Take your recessive genes and fuck off back to /pol/ with them.
>>
>>85980870
I prefer trades too, but this one is ment to be read in floppys. Every issue has a very different tone, style and message/meaning/point, I think that may be inhibited a bit with a trade where you go through each without a pause. It's very impressive cause most authors wouldn't care about doing stuff like that, but this one embraces a serialized story and uses that to it's advantage.

If you do read this as a trade, I recommend taking a pause between each issue, set it down for a couple minutes or flip back through it to let it settle in. Only when it's settled in should you start the next issue.
>>
>>85985570

but the only people who care about those things don't actually read comics.
or at least don't read monthly comics.
>>
>>85985660
>for teh lulz
What year do you live in?
>>
>>85985660
I said I prefer the DC publishing politics. I did not say that DC is superior per se.
>>
>>85979123
I know it is a good comic but I am not giving Marvel my money.
>>
>>85979270

>marvel finaly makes an effort to do something good and it just backfires horribly.

Please. Everyone knew from day one that Vision was nothing more than a ploy to snatch King away from DC.
>>
>>85985106

Yeah, Vision and his family are able to control their density and phase through things. It happens a lot in this comic because they have no sense of how much it creeps everyone else out when they just casually phase through objects and each other.

They make a joke about it in AoU when Vision phases through a wall into Wanda's room unannounced while she and Cap are talking.
>>
That's not a hero from the movies. What the fuck is this gay shit. Not buying.
>>
File: 1463258975328.jpg (226KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1463258975328.jpg
226KB, 1600x1600px
>>85987298

>not a hero from the movies

You have no idea how many casuals claimed to be fans of the Vision after Age of Ultron.
>>
>>85987298
Vision was in the movies you cockbag dickbiter
>>
>>85979812
Might be people getting wise to the fact it's a 12-issue mini, so they tradewait.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.