[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

‘Black Lightning’ DC Superhero Series In Works

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 14

File: black-lightning_final.jpg (474KB, 584x775px) Image search: [Google]
black-lightning_final.jpg
474KB, 584x775px
>‘Black Lightning’ DC Superhero Series In Works From Greg Berlanti, Mara Brock Akil & Salim Akil

>EXCLUSIVE: In a pairing that resembles a superhero team-up, I have learned that Greg Berlanti, king of the CW’s DC universe, has partnered with The Game and Being Mary Jane creator Mara Brock Akil and her husband Salim Akil for Black Lightning, a drama series based on the DC character created by Tony Isabella with Trevor Von Eeden.
>I hear the project, from Warner Bros. TV and studio-based Berlanti Productions and Akil Productions, is currently being pitched to networks.

>Written by the Akils, Black Lightning centers on Jefferson Pierce. He made his choice: he hung up the suit and his secret identity years ago, but with a daughter hell-bent on justice and a star student being recruited by a local gang, he’ll be pulled back into the fight as the wanted vigilante and DC legend — Black Lightning.

>Salim Akil and Mara Brock Akil executive produce with Berlanti Prods.’ Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter.

>Pierce aka Black Lightning was one of DC Comics’ first major African American superheroes, making his debut in 1977. In the books, Jefferson has two daughters, both of whom have followed in his superhero footsteps — Anissa Pierce aka Thunder, who is a member of the Outsiders, and Jennifer Pierce, aka Lightning, recruited by the Justice Society of America.

SOURCE: http://deadline.com/2016/09/black-lightning-dc-superhero-series-greg-berlanti-mara-brock-akil-salim-akil-1201811892/
>>
>On TV, Black Lightning is looking to join another black superhero who toplines his own series, Marvel’s Luke Cage on Netflix.

>While it’s being taken out now, a Black Lightning series had been in the works at WBTV for well over a year, going through different incarnations as the studio has taken its time to get the take right.

>Greg Berlanti and his Berlanti Prods. are behind all WBTV superhero series on the CW, DC’s Supergirl, Arrow, The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow, which Berlanti also co-created, as well as the upcoming Archie Comics adaptation Riverdale.
>>
>Black Lightning
Hey neato!

>CW
aaaand pass
>>
He should be on the justice League
>>
Make it a family of heroes show and have the whole Pierce family fight evil.
>>
>>85938528
Him or Static would be 1000x better than Cyborg
>>
>Gail Simone has a big two book coming up
>said something about "bringing the thunder"

So, Black Lightning Rebirth by Simone coming soon?
>>
>>85938460
They are shopping it on any network, doubt CW would pick it up anyway.
>>
>>85938528
It is an absolute crime that they use Cyborg instead of Black Lightning.

I imagine they're afraid of blowback from having the only black guy on the team called "Black" anything.
>>
>>85938618
Or you know, people actually know who Cyborg is thank to the Teen Titans cartoon.
>>
>Luke Cage coming to Netflix
>WB instantly wants a Black Lightning series
And people still doubt WB is reactive.
>>85938618
If thats the case, then wait till Aquaman's solo featuring Manta!
>But isnt it Bla-
>No! Its just Manta you racist
>>
>Not Static
Dropped.
>>
>>85938635
Oh yeah, I'm sure his staggering popularity from a show that had been cancelled for half a decade is the reason he was used in the New 52 Justice League and subsequent adaptations.

It's definitely not something else.

>>85938654
>And people still doubt WB is reactive.
They do? That seems impossible.
>>
>>85938662
Yeah this just makes me wonder what is going on with that Blue Ribbon produced Static show. They got Vixen and The Ray off the ground fast as hell but they haven't even mentioned Static in months.
>>
>>85938429
I would be sold on this if it was for HBO or netflix but CW
kill it with fire
Maybe get it on AMC and I could see watching it
>>
>>85938429
Ehhh, does he even have any stories that justify a series?
>>
>>85938618
Black Lightning is a good name but yeah
>>
>>85938446
>Greg Berlanti and his Berlanti Prods. are behind all WBTV superhero series on the CW, DC’s Supergirl, Arrow, The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow, which Berlanti also co-created, as well as the upcoming Archie Comics adaptation Riverdale.
Jesus Christ, this man has to be stopped.
>>
>>85938692
Yes?

He's black and is a well known character thanks to the Titans cartoon.
>>
>>85938692

>character some non-comic fans have heard of as opposed to one none have heard of.

Or you could keep making up conspiracies in your head.
>>
>>85938692
>staggering popularity from a show that had been cancelled for half a decade

Teen Titans Go is the #1 show on Cartoon Network and Cyborg is one of the most popular characters.
>>
>>85938618
>>85938635
I reality, Cyborg is there for two reason:
1)The diversity
2)He is the most "God-like" black hero in the DCU
Let me explain the second point, Cyborgs whole concept of tranhumanism could make for some very interesting hard concept stories (you can see how he apparently can "interface with any machine" or "download the whole internet", but infortunetly no writer really writes him that, honestly, most writers don't know how to write him at all, so he sounds forced.

Black Lightining would have been better, or maybe Static in a "kid way over his head" way like Kyle did when he joined.
>>
>>85938932
He's on there because Static's rights are fucked up, John Stewart would take Hal's place on the JL, and nobody knows who Mr Terrific, Black Lightning, etc are.

Cyborg is the most well known black guy they can use and people upstairs be happy with it.
>>
>>85938926
That show started years after he was added as a founding member of the Justice League.

I'm still mad he's completely replaced J'onn.
Fuck you, Johns.
>>
I wonder how they'll handle BLM if they do.
>>
>>85939013
Also Black Robocop-Ironman will sell toys.
>>
>>85938429
Fuck yes, I really like Black Lightning.

He deserves to be on the League over Cyborg.
>>
>>85938618
This.

Plus it would prevent people from getting tricked into thinking DC has no street level heroes.
>>
I serioulsy dont get it.....what the fuck is up witht the Static/Milestone rights????

It seems like every year it changes
>>
>>85939137
But he doesn't. Cyborg went from a popular member of the Titans to the absolute least liked member of the League.

Ollie, Dinah, Vixen, MM, and BL should start their own League. The Hawks and Firestorm can come too.
>>
>>85938618
Cyborg is only on the Justice League because he is emasculated and cannot threaten the likes of Bruce Wayne or Clark Kent sexually
>>
>>85939400
ok which cbr member said this
>>
WTF is that Black Vulcan?
>>
>>85939427
>put Black Lightning on team
>daring writer comes along
>hmmmm what if him and Wonder Woman fucked yeah take that bbc!

>put Cyborg on team
>daring cuck writer comes along
>Cyborg has no dick
>Wonder Woman doesnt get blacked
>>
Remember when they said there'd be a Static Shock live action webseries
>>
File: black superhero.jpg (441KB, 849x1314px) Image search: [Google]
black superhero.jpg
441KB, 849x1314px
>>85938618
Cyborg has a purpose on the league with the tech angle.
What is another "negro with electricity power" going to contribute.
>>
>>85939586
With Superman's power and Batman's mind, there's no real need for anyone else to be there.
>>
>>85939371
Isn't that basically what Waller's JLA lineup was?

I mean it's a good lineup. Could use a...

Actually fuck that really covers most all the bases.

Wait, no. Red Tornado for tech-based/nonhuman and you've got a winner
>>
>>85939649
Batman can't go, "I've scanned the entire internet and here is the problem" like Cyborg
Superman can't say, "I've scanned everyone's mid and there is the problem" like MM
>>
What if that "bring the thunder" book Simone was talking about wasn't Shazam like everybody was thinking?

I've been waiting for a Black Lightning solo.
>>
I think Berlanti has some compulsion to make as many DC shows as he can. did johns do some magic
>>
>>85938429
Im down for this.
>>
>>85938429
>tfw no Blue Devil series
>>
>>85939760
Martian Manhunter hasn't been on the team since Cyborg joined.
>>
So if his daughters are gonna be in it, then Grace Choi would be pretty much a sure thing.

Too bad there's no giant, buff Asian actresses.
>>
>>85939586
>Cyborg has a purpose on the league with the tech angle.
Mr Terrific would've done it better.
>>
>>85939371
>Ollie, Dinah, Vixen, MM, and BL should start their own League
With blackjack and hookers?
>>
>>85940028
And as it's been said, nobody cares or knows about Mr Terrific, especially when compared to Cyborg.
>>
>>85940028
Mr Terrific will always be JSA for me
>>
>>85940038
But it's not like Cyborg has ever been all that marketable.
Just having Mr. Terrific or Black Lightning or anyone else in the New 52 Justice League and the DTV movies and the DCEU would have made them more popular than Cyborg.

Teen Titans was popular, but it wasn't some cultural phenomenon.
>>
Is Cyborg the most hated black DC character on /co/?
>>
It should be noted that this could very well be the best show of the overarching Berlantiverse (well, now just the CWverse again, with Supergirl being on CW).

Mara Brock Akil is actually not a terrible writer. Even though Being Mary Jane might not be /co/'s taste (it's very "black", albeit not "ghetto" black but touching that sort of "middle class" black and all of its issues, like cheating and relationship drama, owning up to blackness, etc.), it's a surprisingly well-made show. Well-crafted in terms of direction, smartly written -- it does fall into BET tropes, but it subverts them as well, while being fun, funny, and modern without too much cringe.

Besides maybe the S2 Arrow crew going to The Flash, I think this show has the best talent involved of the DC shows we've seen so far -- and that's just looking at the showrunners.

So yeah. I'd get hype.
>>
>>85939371
>Ollie, Dinah, Vixen, MM, and BL should start their own League. The Hawks and Firestorm can come too.

;_; Everyone always forgets about Ray Palmer
>>
>>85940409
It's his own fault for staying so small all the time, even when nothing's happening.

People forget he's even around.
>>
>>85938580
Not unlikely, but with the way DC is going it's probably a family book with Thunder framed as the main character. Gotta rebuild the legacy stuff.
>>
> Berlanti

Pass.
>>
>>85940038
Does that really matter? They could have built up a push for him to get famous in time for the movie shit. Look at how popular Bumblebee has gotten through the doll line in such a short time. Hell she would have been a better tech person than Cyborg.
>>
>>85938429

>CW

Not interested
>>
>>85940121
Only black Wally might have come close but honestly I find myself sort of liking him now that he's not meant to be normal Wally.
>>
>>85938429
>‘Black Lightning’ DC Superhero Series In Works
For a second I thought it was an ongoing and I almost got excited.
>>
>>85938429
Daily reminder Black Lightnings Creator had his first girlfriend stolen by Frank Miller
>>
>>85940669
Even if it's bad it might lead to proper Batman and the Outsiders collections. I think so far they only have the one Showcase?
>>
>>85940121

The hate is stupid and unwarranted.

>He's only in the league cause he's black xD
>>
>>85940572

Cyborg is the best tech person in the DC universe. Deal with it already.
>>
>>85940028
Mr T is just smarter Batman.

Cyborg has the best powers, The best premise and the most popularity out of all the DC black heroes .

He is mecha swamp thing for God's sake .

Its a damn shame he hasn't had any great runs yet
>>
>>85938618
>having the only black guy on the team called "Black" anything.
Aside from the few appearances where his lightning was literally black, what's stopping them from shortening the name?
They have characters on the Justice League named Fire and Ice.
>>
>>85940716
Cyborg himself isn't even the tech guy. His dad did everything for him.
>>
>>85938429
>Black Lightning

> Not Static

I feel like I should be taking crazy pills.

Black Lightning has no origin other than "mutant", no memorable personal enemies, no real cross overs, no push at all in the last ten years other than a couple of 5 minute shorts, no public awareness and is a black superhero with black in his name.

I mean, WHY.

Static has the recent nostalgia fanbase, the old full cartoon that still gets reasonable online views, the teen audience that they lack, and an origin that can be perfectly tailored to create a media freakout to give it free publicity, just shift the "Gang Bangers" from the "Big Bang" gangwar into a protest march that turned into a riot when multiple gangs turned up. Plus he has actually showed up in other stuff like the Justice League cartoon and could lead into any of the DC Teen Teams.

Fuck, why not Mr Terrific, an anti corporate white hat hacker ninja with super-drones and surveillance invisibility , his whole shtick is so in right now I feel like I am going to have a fucking anurism over how incompetent DC/WB/CW is in general project choice.
>>
>>85938618
I'd rather get Black Lightning than Cyborg, in all honesty.
>>
>>85939371
HBO New Justice Society series with plenty of flashbacks to the old interwar Justice Society when.
>>
>>85938429
Is it gonna be based off of his Year One book?
>diversity
>muh ghetto stronk
>magic
>Superman
It sells itself
>>
>>85940037
No, with Black Lightning and hookers. And we'll call it "The Good Justice League."
>>
>>85940842
Former Olympian who is a teacher and a father. He's a comfy guy, why not?
>>
>>85939137
It would if they would actually go in that direction.

As it is now, Cyborg is fucking bland.
>>
>>85940842
Static is really shamelessly just Black Spider-Man.
>>
>>85940776

But now he is.
>>
>>85940986
Nah his dad should be in the JL over him
>>
>>85941004

No he shouldn't.
>>
>>85940842
Static rights are fucked anon

That's why DC is going to do Milestone OGNs instead of shit in the main universe

>why not Mr Terrific
The general public doesn't know who he is
>>
File: BL.jpg (71KB, 553x289px) Image search: [Google]
BL.jpg
71KB, 553x289px
His lightning better be black. Makes for cool visuals.

Also, even if the show is gonna be typical CW dreg, it'll put him back on the map so we might see him more in the comics.
>>
>>85941015
Yes he should
>>
File: black lightning the storm.jpg (720KB, 1024x1554px) Image search: [Google]
black lightning the storm.jpg
720KB, 1024x1554px
This news is acceptable
>>
>>85941022
Oh fuck, that would be cool.
>>
>>85941022
That looks cool as fuck.

>>85941028
This does too.

Fuck off Cyborg. Gimme BL.
>>
>>85941025

He's a regular human with no powers and just brains, Cyborg has powers and isn't a regular human anymore. This isn't hard to understand moron.
>>
>>85941016
The general public doesn't know Cyborg, either.
>>
>>85940842
He has the family; that's the angle they are going for.

Also they are already doing a Static show.

And Mr Terrific is a main character on Arrow season 5
>>
I hope to see Blue Devil too, just like the new 52 version, in dc universe presentes
>>
>>85941084
From the Teen Titans cartoons people do.

More like Black Lightning or Mr Terrific anyway.
>>
>>85938429

Methinks this is directly to compete with Luke Cage.
>>
>>85940771
His daughter
>>
>>85941070
If Batman and Luthor can give themselves suits and join why can't Cyborg's dad?

Cyborg is just a dumb jock. He doesn't deserve to be on the team.
>>
>>85941086
A black nerd named Holt is a regular on Arrow.

That shit ain't Mr. Terrific.
>>
>>85941126
Wouldn't be the first time they stole something from a legacy character and gave it to the original. Thunder is the popular daughter anyway.
>>
>>85938544
This I loved the DC Nation short of them. And even a nod to his daughter's relationship with her waifu.
>>
>>85940595
That reminds me, Black Wally can shoot lightning now, so will he hang out with Black Lightning?
>>
File: barry noob.jpg (48KB, 575x176px) Image search: [Google]
barry noob.jpg
48KB, 575x176px
>>85941210
No he will bond with white Wally over their special lightning powers and they'll make fun of Barry together
>>
>>85940842
>DC/WB/CW
>DC/WB
>C/W

Wow
>>
>>85941250
The C in CW actually comes from CBS
>>
>black super hero
Hey, let's see if this is good.

>electric powers
THE NIGHTMARE WILL NEVER END!
>>
>>85941131

What a moron
>>
>>85941279
This is the character those guys are all derived from.
>>
>>85941279
He was the first electric black guy
>>
File: pure-electricity.jpg (127KB, 640x649px) Image search: [Google]
pure-electricity.jpg
127KB, 640x649px
>>
>>85941279
this is the proto-lightnigger
>>
>>85941228
god i hate wally
>>
File: Elecfro.jpg (90KB, 800x596px) Image search: [Google]
Elecfro.jpg
90KB, 800x596px
I can only hope we get the afro mask
>>
File: 1445356419722.jpg (263KB, 618x984px) Image search: [Google]
1445356419722.jpg
263KB, 618x984px
>>85940409
>>
>>85938429
We should start asking they put it on Netflix. Why doesnt DC have any Netflix shows.
>>
File: 1368732782206.png (413KB, 593x413px) Image search: [Google]
1368732782206.png
413KB, 593x413px
>>85941756
>soder cola
>>
>>85941846
They would likely go for HBO's digital thing over Netflix considering it's WB-owned.
>>
>>85941846
>Why doesn't DC have any Netflix shows

Netflix has a deal with Disney to host their media. Marvel has a deal to host their shows. I can almost guarantee that there's a non-competitive clause in their contract that means Netflix can't produce a show that competes with Marvel's.
>>
>>85941871
Soder Cola is the go to soda brand of the DC universe anon
>>
>>85942098
Thats bad business and Marvel cant be that fycking petty
>>
>>85943045
That is literally how contracts work my man. Why do you think Hasbro has the Marvel licence but Mattel has the DC licence, even though Mattel has been fuckin up the DC merchandising for years? It's because they can't go to Hasbro.

I'm the first to throw stones at Marvel but honestly this is just how these things have always been done. Both DC and Marvel have creators sign exclusivity contracts; it's the same thing.
>>
>>85943129
Is it really? I get toy exclusivity but not limiting yourself shows not when Netflix still hosts non original DC movies and shows.
>>
>>85943129
Toy licensing is different from TV networks. I'm pretty sure it's not like what you're saying with Netflix.
>>
File: 1443202302413.gif (4MB, 250x413px) Image search: [Google]
1443202302413.gif
4MB, 250x413px
>>85938429
>Purchase rights to a entire cast of interesting black superheroes because all of yours suck
>Do nothing with them for years
>Push the lame nigger from superfriends instead
BRAVO DC.
>>
>>85939541
This
>>
I want team-ups with every electric black guy DC can get their hands on.
>>
File: 1458048100743.png (133KB, 310x266px) Image search: [Google]
1458048100743.png
133KB, 310x266px
>>85939586
Hey, he's THE negro with electricity power!
>>
>>85943610
>all black superheros are the same
>>
>>85944152
I hope at least Static can make his way in this show
>>
>>85941573
>The afro is part of the mask
Shit nigga, that's kinda genius
>>
File: Black_Vulcan_Super_Friends_001.jpg (13KB, 448x325px) Image search: [Google]
Black_Vulcan_Super_Friends_001.jpg
13KB, 448x325px
>>85938429
That's Black Vulcan.
>>
>>85944966
>I hope Static appears on this CW show
Why do you hate Static so much?
>>
>>85945578
It may not be on the CW tho
>>
>>85945747
It's Greg Berlanti.

No matter what network it's on, it'll be a CW show.
>>
File: Pepe enough.jpg (35KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Pepe enough.jpg
35KB, 1280x720px
>>85938429

TFW STILL no Static.
>>
>>85939013
>He's on there because Static's rights are fucked up,

Really? What's the deal with who owns Static? I thought WB owned all of DC's characters, minus Superboy for some weird reason.

>John Stewart would take Hal's place on the JL

I've said it on this board before, but I REALLY want to see a Justice League with Hawkgirl, Jon Stewart, and Martian Manhunter on it. I really liked Jon and Hawkgirl's dynamic.
>>
>no 'fro
seriously??

I liked the idea that he wore a helmet that he hot glued an Afro on it so it looked like his hair.
>>
>>85946275
I honestly never liked the Afro.
>>
>>85938662
Static has been hurt enough.
>>
>>85939097
>Black Lightning Matters
>>
>>85939586
Can someone explain to me what's the deal between black people and electricity? What is bad about that?
>>
>>85947729
it's just over done
>>
>>85947066
Kek/10
>>
>>85939013
S T E E L
T
E
E
L
>>
>>85947803
So are we getting Shaq as Steel again, ever?
>>
File: BlackLightningCorps.jpg (219KB, 541x900px) Image search: [Google]
BlackLightningCorps.jpg
219KB, 541x900px
>>85947729
Due to contractual issues Black Lightning has a lot of derivative/homages characters based on him, and a few derivates/homages based on those. And a joke about it sprung from there, and of course certain people take the joke seriously
>>
>>85938429
bump for black electric man
>>
>>85947832
Are we ever going to get Steel in anything? He'd be good for the Supergirl tv show.

I fucking miss him and 90's Superboy.
Thread posts: 142
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.