[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DC Signs Artists Robson Rocha and Otto Schmidt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 7

File: jessica.png (479KB, 473x528px) Image search: [Google]
jessica.png
479KB, 473x528px
>BURBANK, Calif. (August 31, 2016) – Hot on the heels of reaching agreements with writers Tim Seeley (NIGHTWING) and Joshua Williamson (THE FLASH, Vertigo’s FROSTBITE), DC Entertainment continues to expand its roster of top name talent, announcing today that it has reached agreements with international artists Robson Rocha (GREEN LANTERNS) and Otto Schmidt (GREEN ARROW) to create comic book content solely for the publisher’s DC and Vertigo imprints.

>A breakout star on a celebrated Rebirth title in June 2016, Brazilian artist Robson Rocha has worked for DC on several fan-favorite, space-themed series before now committing fully to space-cops with GREEN LANTERNS, written by Sam Humphries. As a penciller, inker and cover artist, Rocha has worked on such New 52 titles as LOBO and SINESTRO, as well as BIRDS OF PREY, SUPERBOY, and BATMAN/SUPERMAN, among others. Rocha is represented by Chiaroscuro Studios and lives in Sao Paulo.

>“I’ve been a fan of comic books since I was a child,” said Rocha. “To have the opportunity to work with the DC characters I admire and love so much is a dream come true. These heroes have helped me believe in a better and much more fantastic world. I hope that my contributions to these characters will help to inspire others.”

>“Robson’s style is exactly what we need for GREEN LANTERNS,” said DC Entertainment Publisher Jim Lee. “The DC Universe has something for everyone, and tells stories that reflect the society around us. Robson’s treatment of both new Lanterns – Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz – is dynamic and light, showing energy and movement in every panel. Having Robson join our ranks is a win for DC.”

i dunno if pic related is rocha's work or not
>>
>Recently featured as the artist for DC’s GREEN ARROW: REBIRTH with writer Benjamin Percy, Siberian-born Schmidt now lives on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus. An immediate hot seller in June 2016 (resulting in second and third printings), Schmidt handles all aspects of interior and cover art for his issues of GREEN ARROW, from design to pencils to inks and final color. Lauded by press and fans for the vibrant styling of his handsome Green Arrow and beautiful Black Canary, Schmidt is a name to watch for on future DC projects.

>“Otto Schmidt’s style brings something truly special to GREEN ARROW,” said DC Entertainment Editor-in-Chief Bob Harras. “His sequential artwork is beautiful and brings a unique look to an incredible series, and issues are flying off the shelves. DC is excited that Otto is calling DC his home and his art will be on our covers and inside our comics for some time to come.”

>“Working with DC on GREEN ARROW this year has been a pleasure,” said Schmidt. “The fan reaction has been wonderful and I'm excited to show readers even more of what they love. This is a politically and culturally relevant series, but it should also be sexy and fun to read. That's my goal with every page I turn in. How could I not say 'yes' to drawing more Green Arrow and Black Canary for their fans?”

>Schmidt and Rocha are the newest names to be added to DC’s roster of talent. In addition to Williamson and Seeley, named above, DC has also recently signed artists Liam Sharp (WONDER WOMAN), Andy Kubert (DARK KNIGHT III), writers Dan Abnett (TITANS, AQUAMAN), Amanda Conner (HARLEY QUINN), and more. Stay tuned for more upcoming announcements as DC continues to expand its talent pool.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2016/08/31/dc-entertainment-continues-to-sign-top-global-comic-book-talent
>>
Good for the creators, good for DC.
>>
>Seeley
>King
>Williamson
>Snyder
>Abnett
>Humphries
>Orlando
>Conner/Palmiotti

>Mann
>Timms
>Joëlle Jones
>Jesus Merino
>Doc Shaner
>EVS
>Mitch Gerards
>Andy Kubert
>Robson Rocha
>Otto Schmidt
>Liam Sharp
>>
Based DC snatching all them talents.
>>
File: Otto Schmidt.png (190KB, 495x700px) Image search: [Google]
Otto Schmidt.png
190KB, 495x700px
AHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH
>>
>>85913919
Post his dickgirls or go away.
>>
>>85913775
Did Humphries ever get confirmed?
>>
>>85913919
I hate the way he draws noses.
>>
>>85913919
Look like the same shitty tumblr art Marvel does this days with Squirel Girl.
He does much much better in the book.
>>
>>85913700
Man. Marvel really fucked up bad. All the great new talent is signing exclusives. If WB plays their cards right DC could be in for a new day. Time for their time in the sun.
>>
>>85913919
Have you read GA? It looks great. Stylized doesn't equal bad as long as effort is put into it.
>>
>>85913743
>Andy Kubert
Wait, when did they sign Kubert? Also based DC going after the better Kubert.
>>
File: Green arrow.png (820KB, 497x768px) Image search: [Google]
Green arrow.png
820KB, 497x768px
>>85913919
look at this trash amirite?
>>
>>85913775
Rafa Sandoval confirmed he signed one the other day
>>
File: 1470974716177.png (72KB, 246x390px)
1470974716177.png
72KB, 246x390px
never heard of those artists before. what have they done in the past?
>>
>>85915382
Schmidt is currently drawing Green Arrow, Rocha is drawing Green Lanterns
>>
>>85914007
Humphries was part of the big wave of announcements back with King, Orlando, et al
>>
>>85913775
Peter Tomasi has a exclusive with them also.
>>
>>85913775
Peter Tomasi and Sean Murphy, too
>>
dickgirls?
where?
>>
>>85915440
That was a Bleeding Cool rumor
>>
>>85915440
No he wasn't. They put out press releases but his name wasn't in any of them.
>>
Rocha is trash, but Schmidt is a really great addition to their exclusives.

I find it surprising that Marvel isn't signing any exclusives now that DC is doing so many of them. Or maybe they do and they don't announce them?
>>
>>85915598
Marvel signed Kuder and announced him, but I can't remember any others recently
>>
>>85913775
Orlando is a WTF for me, I mean, didn't Midnighter get cancelled. Everyone else is either really successful (Conner/Snyder/Abnett) or acclaimed (Seeley/King/Shaner). I don't see the benefit in an Orlando exclusive.
>>
>>85916091
Didio probably liked his stuff and wanted to get him on something that would make good use of him. He kept All-Star Western from death for years so it's not that unbelievable.
>>
>>85914313
Yeah, but....so what. Will Snyder work on those B and C listers now? He's only doing ONE book, a Bat book no less. Same with Conner, show us if Harley was just a one hit wonder.

And the artists, is EVS really going to draw monthly I doubt it
>>
>>85913700
>Robson Rocha
Why?
>Otto Schmidt
Ferreyra is better, he's a real gem in today's industry and he should've gotten it before Schmidt but Schmidt is good.

Still, can't help but feel disappointed by these DC exclusives, especially after King.
>>
>>85913919
His work in the actual books is great though.
>>
>>85916129
oh, well that makes sense. Comics are being run like club houses by people without education or experience in business, except Jim Lee and Jeph Loeb. I guess its good to know that they still take care of people though.
>>
>>85916091

Midnighter did well enough that they're doing a follow up.
and they seem to like Orlando enough to put him on Supergirl, and let him orchestrate a mini-Batfamily event.
>>
>>85913743
>Andy Kubert
Wait, isn't he doing something at marvel? "MU"?
>>
>>85916189

I think Andy works with DC and Adam does Marvel stuff.
>>
>>85915598
When is Del Mundo's exclusive up? he needs to fuck off out of Marvel, they've been wasting him like crazy.
>>
>>85916144
Ferreyra is next.
>>
>>85916144
>especially after King

Into the trash your opinion goes. King is the best new writer.
>>
File: marvel 2016.png (2MB, 1000x1512px) Image search: [Google]
marvel 2016.png
2MB, 1000x1512px
>>85913919
Marvel artists are so much better, DC can keep the trash! #yesallsquirrelsXD
>>
>>85916293
Should be, guy's amazing. Some of these people DC has signed as exclusives are just...ugh.
>>
>>85916327
Please don't tell me this is from an actual comic book.
>>
>>85916384
Anon, don't act dumb. You've seen the page thousands of times before, you'll see it thousands of times again.
>>
>>85916450
I actually hadn't seen it before. I knew that Marvel was doing some weird Tumblr shit with Squirrel Girl. But this... This looks even worse.
>>
>>85913919
AHHHHH THIS IS NOT PHOTOREALISTIC ART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>85916091
>I don't see the benefit in an Orlando exclusive.
Fucking retard. Midnighter was one of the most talked about and well reviewed book of DCYou. Everyone was praising DC on how they were publishing a book of gay lead by a bi writer. Orlando getting exclusive is a no brainier. Do you even know what you talk about?
>>
>>85916315
I think that was his point, that King raised his expectations and they haven't met that after it.

Jones is probably my favorite recent one though. Didn't expect someone like her to sign.

>>85916505
Saddest part is that it probably could have looked alright with some better inking and shading. Maybe not good but professional at least.
>>
>>85916529
He kind of has a point, Midnighter sold like shit. What he doesn't know is that the trades sold extremely well, so well that he's getting a sequel mini. And I think Virgil was a critical darling too. And Geoff Johns loves the little guy.
>>
>>85916548
>Sign Joelle Jones to an exclusive
>so she can work for Dark Horse
makes sense.

I like Murphy, Shaner and Schimidt. And Orlando was a smart signing even if he's kind of unproven. Rest of the signing leave me scratching my head.
>>
>>85916678
I guess the logic in most of the mediocre ones is that with double-shipping you'll need some grunt artists on lesser books and to do fill-ins and shit. But spending the money to give those people benefits seems odd. Might just be a good will gesture I guess to recruit better creators by treating current ones well.
>>
>>85916315
You're an idiot.
>>
>>85916770
>you'll need some grunt artists on lesser books and to do fill-ins and shit
So? Are you seriously afraid someone's going to snatch Merino from you and you can't use him? And do you seriously think you'd have a hard time finding a replacement for him?
>>
>>85916315
not anymore he's not

he's on batman so that and his earlier stuff is now garbage
>>
>>85916825
But he is an idiot with a good taste.
>>
>>85916836
Probably better to have them already contracted in-house on short notice than to have to call up agents and shit to get it organized.
>>
>>85916876
Even then Pelletier would've been a better choice for a safe, generic but fast artist than Merino. And that's just off the top of my head.
>>
>>85916589
King got the exclusive based solely on the fact that his books were getting good response from the audience, I don't understand what's really so difficult to understand. Guys like King or Orlando are not big seller but they're the creative future DC is investing in in hopes that maybe they can be future Johns or Snyder.
>>
>>85916926
You're not wrong, but in general people who haven't signed might have been offered it and said no or something else is holding it up. They didn't get Seeley until this month and surely he would have been courted in the same wave as King and Orlando at least.
>>
>>85916926
You do realize that DC has way more exclusives than the ones on list, right? Did that list have Ries, Fabok, Finch, Frank, Pelletier and other in house artists? No, because it's pretty self evident that they're already DC exclusive same way Mcniven, Coipel, Yu, Land are Marvel exclusive.
>>
>>85916948
King's stuff got a lot more critical acclaim and you just know Marvel wanted him as an exclusive too. Sad part is that after his DC exclusive is up in a few years he'll sign one with Marvel. But back to my point, King is a new guy in the industry, but he is a proven talent, Orlando...not so much. Like I said, I like the signing of Olando and I think it's smart, but offering him an exclusive was not a no brainer like with King.
>>
>>85917092
I highly doubt that. I think hes gonna be on Batman for a few years then Superman. He said his dream is to write Superman.
>>
>>85917090
Pelletier did something for marvel last year iirc. He's not exclusive.
>>
>>85913700
F E R R E R Y A
W H E N
>>
>>85917154
He also said his dream is to write Captain America. And he said he was more of a marvel guy growing up. I doubt that he won't do more Marvel stuff in the future.
Besides, I think he signed the DC exclusive out of a sense of loyalty.
>>
>>85917210
Right after Bagenda
>>
>>85917227
I hope both of them get signed soon. Bagenda and Ferreyra are way too good to be left hanging like that.
>>
>>85917092
>Sad part is that after his DC exclusive is up in a few years he'll sign one with Marvel.
You're a retard if you think that. After 2 or so years do you know how much pull King would have in the editorial and control over his content if he's hit?
>Orlando...not so much.
Virgil is also very acclaimed book but Midnighter a lot of good press earlier in its run. Anyone who cares about any diversity (CA, Comicosity) were writing about it. They knew they were going to go into Rebirth and they knew they needed good writers, Orlando was a no brainier.
>>
>>85917227
Should be before tbphwy(to be perfectly honest with you)
>waiting for months in anticipation of what Bagenda's next project will be
>lel it's a short story. With CarolxKyle.
>>
>>85917306
You seriously think that King wants to be DC exclusive for the rest of his life?

And don't try to justify why DC offered Orlando an exclusive to me, I've already went over this myself and we both a great it was a good signing. But it's more of a gamble than a sure thing.
>>
File: BASED KHOURI.jpg (319KB, 1078x1105px)
BASED KHOURI.jpg
319KB, 1078x1105px
Have you thanked based Khouri yet /co/?
>>
>>85917436
>it was Khouri's idea
>he offers Schmidt an exclusive instead of Fereyra
I will fight you, Andy.
>>
>>85917213
Nope, hes in it for the long haul. Sorry to crush your dreams.
>>
>>85916851
Yeah, a good taste. Still an idiot and probably with more bad taste
>>
>>85917436

one again, based DCKomics
>>
>>85917406
>You seriously think that King wants to be DC exclusive for the rest of his life?
Look at Snyder, when his exclusive is over in next 2 years he would have been at DC for almost 10 years. Johns is not going to come back to comics full time. So Snyder went from working on secondary Batman title with great niche artists to Batman and Superman with A listers to having a special project with full creative freedom to writing the major event event for DC (his next project with Capullo). And this is the same guy that's been saying that as soon as the opportunity arrives, he'll write for Marvel since 2013. If King stays at DC, he'll have the same luxurious and easy path. Going to Marvel would be insecure as fuck compared to staying with DC and using his fame as leverage.
>>
>>85917436
Do you think Wheeler and Khouri get along? I bet they got beef

At any rate, thank you based Khouri
>>
>>85913919
>that pic
>bad
>>
>>85917681
Well he used to work at Comicsalliance so I think he still has good relationship with the staff there. He still shills out CA every chance he gets.
>>
>>85917666
Pretty sure Johns is still meeting with Rebirth creative teams regularly. He might not be writing anything but I wouldn't say he isn't doing comics full-time still, just more of an editorial position. Rebirth is his baby.
>>
>>85917666
Snyder never expressed interest in working for Marvel. It's a different situation. And Johns is DC s fuck. I hope he doesn't ever sign an exclusive for Marvel, but you know he'll work there again either way.
>>
>>85917681
>I bet they got beef
You only say that because you like Khouri and dislike Wheeler.
>>
>>85916327
how much did they charge for this
>>
>>85917760
>Pretty sure Johns is still meeting with Rebirth creative teams regularly.
Why are you pretty sure about that? Whent he one shot was released, Johns had stated that he was involved in the planning stage and then left the creative teams and editors to do the rest of the work themselves.
>>
>>85917791
>Snyder never expressed interest in working for Marvel.
Yeah he has. He's stated he wants to write Captain America many times.
>>
File: 90-pic_megacide.png (6KB, 480x320px)
90-pic_megacide.png
6KB, 480x320px
Marvelfag here, Im glad one of us is getting quality comics right now. Enjoy it guys, you really deserve it.
>>
>>85918179
3.99 at the very least
>>
>>85918201
Because I'm pretty sure I remember it being mentioned in an interview or panel transcript but I don't want to go looking for a link because I can't remember the context.
>>
>>85917406
>you seriously think a writer wants to work at a company with the richest lore and a pantheon of characters he loves for the rest of his life with access to Vertigo so he can tell whatever stories he wants there.

Yes. Yes I do. I think you are confused about how good Marvel characters actually are. DC has been far more impactful on the industry for decades. They are the big leagues.

You go to DC to tell lasting stories that will be read for generations. You go to Marvel to make a quick buck.
>>
>>85918305
Don't be such a company guy. I agree with what you're saying actually, but still.
>>
>>85918305
Speaking about quick buck, Gillen has a project (ongoing) for Marlel. What's it gonna be I wonder.
>>
>>85918344
I'm not being a "company guy". I read both big 2 and a lot of Image, Valiant and Vertigo titles. It's just the truth.
>>
>>85918366
literally who gives a shit.
>>
>>85918378
You should read more Dark Horse, they're putting out some good stuff right now. I would recommend dropping anything you're still reading from Marvel and get some DH on your pull.
>>
>>85918305

holy cow has the anti-marvel shit on /co/ gotten wild
>>
>>85918432
Yeah I actually just got the Mignolaverse.

>>85918460
It's not "anti Marvel" its just the truth. The only Marvel titles I can think of with actually like generational lasting power are Spider Man Blue, Silver Surfer Requiem and arguably Earth X and Old Man Logan.

Sure there are good runs but they haven't had anywhere near as much of an impact on the industry as DC. Thems the breaks son.
>>
>>85918545
Fuck you shitposter, those aren't even good(except Earth X), there's been plenty of good Marvel comics published in the past but you're just baiting.

I wasn't talking about the mignolaverse though when I said DH.
>>
>>85918596
>Spiderman Blue not good

Into the trash your opinions go. Also I'm not saying there haven't been good runs. Jesus. I'm saying Marvel simply doesnt having many books with as much staying power as Watchmen, TDKR, Year 100, Oneil's Question, TKJ, Animal Man, hell even recently with Pax. These are books that pushed the boundaries of the industry. Marvel just doesn't do that often cause they focus too much on sales and not enough on quality.
>>
>>85918545
>>85918692

you're shitting on Marvel characters when the least of Stan and Jack's creations are better than the majority of comics characters. that's more of my point.

arguing about UNcanny X-men 94-226 or whatever vs Dark Knight Returns or Thor 337-382 vs Animal Man is stupid and pointless.
>>
>>85918764
I'm not shitting on Marvel characters. I said Marvel hasn't had as much influence on the industry and their stories usually don't transcend generations and garner critical acclaim as much. That's a fact. I'm sorry that upsets you.
>>
>>85918854

>you are confused about how good Marvel characters actually are. DC has been far more impactful on the industry for decades

it's a non sequitur insult then?

also saying marvel doesn't have/hasn't had much influence on the superhero genre is insanely wrong. Like "sky is purple" wrong. Lee/Kirby actually gave the characters characterization and themes and ongoing plots.
>>
>>85918925
>Lee/Kirby

Bro, that was forever ago. They havent impact the industry in a meaningful way in at least 30 years. Especially currently. The company is soulless. The closest theyve came was Thor the God bomb arc and Vision and they shit on them both. Get over it.
>>
>>85913700
>More Schmidt
YES.
Proves that even if you draw dickgirls, as long your art is great you can make it in the mainstream market.
>>
>>85919040
Only if they're innocent.
>>
>>85918986
How did they shit on Vision? They gave out issues the first like 3-4 months to try to help it gain a fanbase. Turns out only Batman could increase its sales (and even that was only 5k).
>>
>>85919067
Because, unlike DC who realizes when something is garnering attention, IE Omega Men, and Gotham Academy, they don't cancel it or they bring it back. They let it ride and take the loss cause they recognize that its an impactful story thatll sell well over decades. Hence why their trades do well. Marvel axes their books as soon as they underperform.
>>
>>85919138
Marvel didn't axe it though. They let it get the full first arc. Unless you're criticizing them for not giving him the second arc he talked about in like one interview?
>>
>>85919189
They should have given him whatever he wanted considering it was the only book they have garnering any kind of critical acclaim. My point is right now at Marvel you couldn't do anything like The Dark Knight III or All Star Batman. They just don't care about those things anymore. They focus entirely on sales and new readers.
>>
>porn artist you like gets mainstream work
This is nice, has this happened to other known porn artists?
>>
>>85913775
>Joëlle Jones
so, any other female talent /co/ wants DC to sign?

muh dick needs some Charretier and Evely. I'd be okay with Cloonan too.
>>
>>85920630
I hope they sign Evely, Sugar and Spike looked fantastic
>>
>>85916172
Loeb is one of the worst people in comics
>>
>>85916172
Comics are dime on the dollar for their huge IP overlords, positive PR is more important than the peanuts you get from 10k+ single sales that keep a book out of the cancelation zone, not to mention trades are DC's main source of income, and Middy's lackluster single sales were more than made up for in the trades departmnent.
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.