[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who did it better?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10

Who did it better?
>>
>>85910225
Hey Arnold.
>>
>>85910225
Hey Arnold.
>>
>>85910225

Steven Universe
>>
Is this even a contest?
Hey Arnold
>>
>>85910225
Stheyven Arnoldverse
>>
>>85910225

Hey Universe
>>
File: hey arnold crazy.png (299KB, 515x394px) Image search: [Google]
hey arnold crazy.png
299KB, 515x394px
Hey Arnold didn't age as well as I expect it to. I haven't seen the episode in quest recently but I'm going to guess the answer is SU.
>>
>>85910225
Whats the cartoon on the right?
>>
He just wanted to ask "where's the bus stop?"
>>
>>85910225
Hey Arnold build it up better.
>>
Is this even a contest ????

Steven Universe; Of course.

>>85910840
>Hey Arnold didn't age as well as I expect it to

this
>>
>>85910225

>a innocuous event that acted as a catalyst for a completely different character's development about thier guilt and self-pity
vs
>and entire episode building to to protagonist realizing his need for control/power in his life can make him just as much an asshole as the people he's defending himself from

Hmm, I wonder....
>>
>>85910225
Hey Arnold is consistently better than SU.
>>
>>85910840
>>85911059
You're serious? It felt okay to me when I rewatched it recently.
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>85911113
Well, specifically the episode in the image. The crazy one.
>>
>>85911113
"Okay" is not blowing Mindful Education out of the water is what they are saying.
Revisiting Hey Arnold as an adult open to a new interpretation shows its age and weaknesses.
And these anons find that right now SU looks better for them in this comparison.
>>
File: MVv_Ue[1].gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
MVv_Ue[1].gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>85910225
>>
>>85911225
The other two in the OP were innocent
>>
Who did animation better, cartoons or anime?
>>
File: 1334563541560.png (331KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1334563541560.png
331KB, 720x540px
Connie suplexed a kid, then eventually apologized and even promised to teach the kid a move or two.

Arnold fucking tore up that kid's clothes and sent him off in his underwear on the streets of new york, and never even fucking apologized. He even QUIT the karate shit afterwards.
>>
Tho i might be biased, since i never liked Hey Arnold that much im gonna say SU simply because it wasn't about that usual "hurting other people makes you just as bad as those who purposefully hurt other people" horseshit and instead was about not running away from bad memories
>>
a bit unbalanced. The whole episode on HA was about that, SU Connie's problem was just a lead up to see into Steven's own guilt and self-doubt.
>>
>>85910225
Both episodes are dealing with entirely different plots

Arnold is learning the valuable 80's and 90's anti bullying message that standing up for yourself makes you literally worse than the bully and hitler

Connie and steven are learning it's ok to bully and physically maim others IF you feel bad about it and apologize about it in therapy

so obviously SU handled it better
>>
>>85911545

Here's your (you)
>>
File: image.png (127KB, 353x314px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
127KB, 353x314px
>>85911545
>Connie and steven are learning it's ok to bully and physically maim others IF you feel bad about it and apologize about it in therapy
>>
>>85910225
Arnold got fucking mugged, what was Connie's excuse?
>>
>>85911784
the plot
>>
File: face421-incase-puzai.jpg (52KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
face421-incase-puzai.jpg
52KB, 360x360px
>>85911390
>Arnold fucking tore up that kid's clothes and sent him off in his underwear on the streets of new york, and never even fucking apologized. He even QUIT the karate shit afterwards.
>>
>>85911782
>Connie and Steven are learning it's ok if you guilty after feeling you've wronged someon if you address the reason you acted the way you did and work to better yourself afterwards

FTFY

FTFY
>>
>>85911784
She might have thought it was the Arm monster back to finish the job.
>>
File: steven-universe-mindful.jpg (34KB, 640x380px) Image search: [Google]
steven-universe-mindful.jpg
34KB, 640x380px
>an episode with a profound message about what is okay to feel bad, which are feelings that must be accepted, showing the image of a mother as the biggest fear of someone who sees himself as his shadow and she is for him someone who can not understand, an episode that has a plot about balance and blend naturally all that with relations

vs

>a generic story about be careful when gain power to defend others, and not fall into becoming the thing that is your enemy, the thing against which you fight first

I love Hey Arnold; But Steven Universe is better and do it better
>>
>>85911923
This. Except with correct grammar.
>>
File: Connie is introduced to hentai.gif (2MB, 410x230px) Image search: [Google]
Connie is introduced to hentai.gif
2MB, 410x230px
>>85911933
>>
>>85910225

Hey Arnold
>>
>>85911975
Are you dyslexic or Chinese?
>>
>>85910225
Hey Arnold. Connie beating up that kid was one second of a flashback and wasn't effective
>>
>>85910225
Hey Arnold
>>
>>85912014
I thought it was pretty effective. The move broke his arm.
>>
Did Arnold even know where the bus stop is? Let's ask the real questions.

Connie's too young to be a warrior. Now she's going to solve all her problems with space martial arts. That's going to make every thing she does more difficult. Instead of playing tuba she's going to judo chop the tuba and that does not produce the appropriate sound.
>>
>>85911882
did he ever make more of this
>>
The guy in Hey Arnold was a big scary looking guy, snapping to that is not as weird.
Connie when into killing mode without even looking at the kid, she's got a real bloodthirst.
>>
>>85912140
She was recently attacked by a freaky hand creature. And has been assaulted by such creatures since she met Steven.
>>
>>85912014
Honestly, it all kinda felt like wangst to me. I get she's like 11 or some shit, but I couldn't help but think "What, that's IT?" when we got to the flashback.
>>
>>85912140
>>85912177
I'm a big fan of SU but I have to admit the whole situation was contrived just to segue into Steven's issues. The episode was overall great, but Connie doing that to some random kid was contrived... kind of like Arnold going full kill mold on a bully.
>>
>>85911225
better question who would win Arthur Arnold or Connie
>>
>>85912177
I'm just saying that Arnold using his Satsui no Hadou on a scary looking mode is more easily digestible than Connie switching into Kill Mode on reflex.
>>
>>85912306
the street shitting slahser

I mean seriously she has a fucking sword
>>
File: 1466082815862.gif (494KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1466082815862.gif
494KB, 200x200px
Well Steven Universe is a fucking garbage show, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Hey Arnold.
>>
Arnold was based.
Steven was boring.
>>
>>85912403

A sword she's been training with for like what, a few months tops? Arnold learned how to completely decimate someone's clothes on their bodies with little to no signs he ever hit flesh, and all with his BARE HANDS. That's some grand master level shit there, and he was training for maybe a week with his Grandma.

Arnold would fucking annihilate Connie if he was in full on kill mode.
>>
Steven's trauma issues pulled out the ass in that episode. It literally came out of nowhere and had no buildup to it whatsoever, and it was shoved into the last few minutes of the episode.

Just for that alone I pick Hey Arnold.
>>
>>85912742
*were pulled
>>
Steven Universe easily
>>
>>85912742
>no build up
Yeah, if you exclude all the previous 11 minute episodes.
>>
>>85910225
I'd have to watch the full episode of HA! and I'm not doing that so I'm going to say SU, even though what makes that episode is Steven's anxieties versus Connie's anieties of a relatively smaller thing
>>
>>85912742
Steven's trauma issues weren't pulled out the ass, they had been built up over multiple episodes and it's a realistic portrayal of trauma victims to have them hide their trauma to fit in with societal expectations.

Now CONNIE'S issues on the other hand are the textbook definition of pulled out of the ass. Happened literally for the purpose of one episode, happened totally offscreen, to a character we'll likely never see again... that shit was just totally set up to lead to the "oh it's Steven who's actually fucked up." moment
>>
File: Ichthyoconodon.png (429KB, 1393x925px) Image search: [Google]
Ichthyoconodon.png
429KB, 1393x925px
SU because it wasn't about bullying, but how about guilt consume you destroys your relations.
>>
>>85910225

Arnold was abetter episode, because it was a self contained episode. It was designed to be a one off thing.

SU's episode is a point in a line, building on what came before and its consequences and setting up for more in the future. Its a continuing story, instead of a single incident.

So I would say Arnold did a stronger individual episode, but SU has a better setup and story on the subject. Arnold's moral was weak, SU's message about dealing with your traumas together instead of letting them destroy you from the inside is better.
>>
>>85911113
A lot if the morals seemed rushed like a back to school special
>>
>>85911060
The second one is literally the most common trope ever
>>
>>85911545
In Stevens case its a good moral because he was actually threatened but still didn't know how to deal with the guilt
But for Connie its more like "its okay to hurt someone accidentally if you say sorry because they'd understand!"
Like what if she wasn't forgiven, hell what if the person would fight back instead? Then what?
Connie didn't learn to control herself she learned that she needed to forgive herself which isnt a bad moral really but its not so simple
>>
>>85912014
>>85912213
I think you guys are missing the point a little bit. The moral wasn't about hurting other people or bullying or whatever.
Notice in Mindful Education, the parallel with Ruby and Sapphire: Ruby is flipping her shit over a single butterfly (representing a small problem) while Sapphire is alone in dealing with thousands of butterflies (representing a lot of problems). Then Ruby decides to forget about her single butterfly for the time being to help Sapphire with all of hers.
Connie was Ruby and Steven was Sapphire (obviously). Connie was so wrapped up in feeling guilty over something that was ultimately inconsequential, she was missing the fact that Steven was dealing with a LOT of shit at the moment. So she put away her problem for the time being to help Steven get through his own much more serious & numerous problems.
>>
>>85913201
That doesn't mean it can't still feel a little wangst, especially if that's what they were going for in the first place.
>>
>>85913335
Sure. It was anon's "that was it?" reaction that made me think he didn't think it was intentional though.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.