[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Illusion of Life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: iol.jpg (138KB, 400x473px) Image search: [Google]
iol.jpg
138KB, 400x473px
Is this worth owning for a modern aspiring animator, or it's just an outdated relic written by deified Old (white) Men?

Also, basic technical /co/ library suggestions thread
>>
>>85907271
I doubt you'll learn much from it, but as far as art books go, the pictures are amazing. It really gives you perspective on the level of detail they had back then.

It'd be okay color reference at least.

If you want some serious how-tos, some of the best western fundamentals can be found in Richard Williams Animators Survival Kit.
>>
File: skrill.png (109KB, 876x465px) Image search: [Google]
skrill.png
109KB, 876x465px
Yes, it is worth owing. The techniques established in the 1930's by Disney are universally important in all animation, and if you want a basic grasp on animation you should study that period closely. Not every Disney animator was white, either. Look up Tyrus Wong, for example.

>>85907322
Also this.
>>
>>85907567
Their whole cel coloring department was made up of women too.
>>
>>85907271
I'm not an aspiring animator so I don't know if it's worthwhile but it was a really interesting read with loads of great images. Plus the little flip book animations in the corner of the pages were a pretty nice touch.
>>
Although it brings up important animation techniques it first and foremost gives an interesting insight into the Disney animation studios.

Still, if you're into animation I'd consider it worth owning.
>>
File: ExpandedEdition_400x474.jpg (53KB, 400x474px) Image search: [Google]
ExpandedEdition_400x474.jpg
53KB, 400x474px
>>85907271
That one and this one. Pretty much all you need for a good start.
>>
For the comics side of things, may as well get the ball rolling with the standard suggestion of Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics, and Will Eisner's Comics And Sequential Art book.
>>
File: 81SPcJivNwL.jpg (325KB, 1791x1301px) Image search: [Google]
81SPcJivNwL.jpg
325KB, 1791x1301px
How about this one? Anyone read it?
>>
>>85910621
I just ordered this!
>>
>>85907567
Floyd Norman,black man in Disney came in in the fifties. Animated Kaa in the Jungle Book.
>>
File: honey-you-mean-hunkules.jpg (337KB, 1600x945px) Image search: [Google]
honey-you-mean-hunkules.jpg
337KB, 1600x945px
>>85913745
It's OK; tons of great artwork and insight, with commentary and insight from an actual animator, which is rare these days.

Deja is my favorite Disney Renaissance animator, actually; way more versatile and creative than the usual poster boy, Glen Keane. Also he's gay, which may or may not address OP's zeitgeist-concerned criteria.

He's not much of a writer though; the book is filled with great info, but it's a bit dry and lacks flair. Also, the binding and paper quality aren't exactly great either, though the reproductions are fine; it's to be expected from anything on animation not published by Chronicle Books though
>>
It's better as a gorgeous collection of scraps Frank and Ollie were able to pull together, everything from roughs to like backgrounds and cels. Disney propaganda aside, it's still the work of some of the most talented people ever to be involved in animation and the book is absolutely packed. Even the corners of the pages are turned into lengthy flipbooks to study movement.
>>
>>85910543
>Williams book producing more drone animation
He can't teach appeal.

Use this book only if you want to be shackled by the techniques taught, I've never seen someone learn solely from this book and animate something that wasn't just a stiff copy from one of the pages.

Drawn to Life replaced that book years ago.
>>
>>85907271

I have a copy I got from an antique store, it's interesting in how it focuses on the older films, I think... Little Mermaid was the last one mentioned in the book.

I could scan it if there isn't anything floating around.
>>
>>85917145
The most common edition is the 1995 revision, but it was originally published in the early eighties, hence the content
>>
>>85907271
Pretty sure this is one of the most scanned animation books out there, even a simple google search will quickly turn up high quality PDF's. Just browse one of those and decide for yourself.

a bit off topic but I've been off 4chan for a while now, is story time still cool with the mods? If they don't care I'd be willing to scan my art book collection and make threads for it so ya'll don't have to pay 40 bucks a pop for these fucking tomes like I had to.
>>
>>85919641
It's pertinent to the thread topic, I don't think they care all that much.
>>
>>85907567

>Not every Disney animator was white, either.

OP was referring to the Nine Old Men:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney%27s_Nine_Old_Men
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.