[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MUH NO KILL RULE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: SSANN03_17b.jpg (2MB, 844x2856px) Image search: [Google]
SSANN03_17b.jpg
2MB, 844x2856px
Defend This.

I fell asleep 2 posts into the last thread so this is primarily for the anons who were asking for more context.
It's from Silver Surfer Annual 3 (1990) btw.
>>
Jesus that's harsh

>I am not that cold-blooded
>>
File: SSANN03_19a.jpg (225KB, 900x1420px) Image search: [Google]
SSANN03_19a.jpg
225KB, 900x1420px
The whole point is leading the Surfer and the reader to question the absolutely strict no-kill policy fàm
It's in character for the SS not to take a life considering his past, but lifts off wondering if he made the right choice.
>>
File: SSANN03_19b.jpg (237KB, 900x1420px) Image search: [Google]
SSANN03_19b.jpg
237KB, 900x1420px
>>
>>85907145
Why would you expect someone to defend this?

The comic itself is saying that Norrin is being a fucking retard here. Hell, Norrin himself is basically admitting it.

What do you hipe to get out of this thread, anyway? Are you asleep already?
>>
>>85907455
I kinda spelled it out for you in the OP senpai :^)
>>
>>85907145
How could I defend something the comic itself is putting up into question?
>>
>>85907145
This is far more evil a thing to do than just killing him.
Alot like when the Flash took away that other speedsters speed and turned him into a statue instead of just killing him cleanly.

Capes and their NO KILLING EVER!! thing are kind of dumb though. There's no point in going to extremes.
Just like you wouldn't kill a simple purse-snatcher or other minor criminal, there's nothing wrong with actually killing a super threat when the other result is the destruction of the city/planet/universe, or indeed refuse to kill someone just to instead subject them to an unending fate worse than death.

Just throwing up your hands and saying "NO ONE DIES!" or even "EVERYONE DIES!" is nonsensical foolishness, there's a measured response to differing situations.
>>
>>85907455
I like how you call him Norrin like you are on a first name basis
>>
>>85911121
Norrin is easier than Silver Surfer to type
>>
>>85911121
>Not being on a first name basis with The Surf
>Not having him on speed dial for whenever you need to take a quick jaunt to another galaxy
>>
>>85907145
Complete horseshit Surfer. I mean, if that monster was going to eat a baby or something you would probably kill it, but not to end it's eternal suffering? Wtf.
>>
I think most writers just don't stop to think what's even the point of non-lethal measures against dangerous criminals. This goes for both sides.
Fuck, people give shit to Miller all the time but he seems one of the few that did questioned it seriously rather than doing it to be edgy.
>>
>>85911047
Absolutes only serve to reinforce how dysfunctional a character is, if the author takes it seriously it's extremely jarring, since it only shows that the author is ignorant enough that he can't even understand an scenario where someone's life has to be taken.
Someone can tell themselves that life is too precious all they want, but the world doesn't play by make-believe rules.
>>
>>85907145
Defend what?
>>
>>85911047
Can we just make this a Batman thread already? I don't want Bruce to become Ben Affleck, but the amount of asspull some authors come up with to avoid killing is kinda ridiculous. So many of Batman's plots would be ended quickly or not even happened if Bats took some intiative and just snapped a villain's neck.

Actually what are some good stories where Batman comes to terms with killing, like really explores his twisted ass absolutes and the true cost of taking a life?
>>
>>85907145
I'll take a stab at it.
It isn't like he's hurting the guy. He's just declining to help him, because the only way to help would be by performing an action (killing an innocent) that he finds extremely objectionable.
Or maybe he just doesn't believe that the creature really will "never die." I mean, people throw the word "eternity" around a lot, but this guy could be exaggerating. Maybe he will only be suffering for a few thousand years. Worst-case scenario, the heat death of the universe will end his suffering. And the SS will still have clung to his ideals.
Finally, (and this is something I see in multiple comic books) it could be that he's reluctant to violate his no-kill rule, even once, because he believes it would make it easier for him to justify to himself killing again in the future.
>>
>>85911944
Batman is insane. This has long since been established, therefore his no kill rule doesn't need to be logically justified.
>>
>>85911047

Anon, you're putting too much thought into this.

Heroes don't kill their rogues because colourful rogues you love to hate bring in more readers than a parade of forgettable shmucks.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.