[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So shit is flying at Sony because Ghostbusters (2016) severely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

File: the real ghostbusters.jpg (186KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
the real ghostbusters.jpg
186KB, 600x480px
So shit is flying at Sony because Ghostbusters (2016) severely under performed. The film franchise is pretty much dead. But what is hoped is an animated franchise will be profitable and spawn a line of merchandise.

What is planned is "Ghostbusters Interdimensional Incorporated" to try and make a bridge between fans of Ghostbusters past and Ghostbusters present. Basically as in The Real Ghostbusters, all the live action movies are Hollywood fictionalizations of the "real" events that took place in each Ghostbusters animated universe.

Universe Alpha will have the Real Ghostbusters coming out of retirement due to a drastic increase in paranormal activity in their universe. Characters from Ghostbusters Extreme will have the odd guest appearance but it's really going to focus on the four original characters.

Universe Beta will have the animated versions of the characters from the 2016 movie moving into the old fire station and fighting an ever increasing amount of ghosts in their universe.

Universe Gamma will have a new team of Ghostbusters coming together for the first time to fight ghosts in their universe. Unlike the Ghostbusters from Alpha and Beta universes the Ghostbusters of Gamma rely on psychic abilities and magic to fight ghosts instead of technology.

Universe Delta will be a post apocalyptic Earth where Gozer The Gozerian succeeded and almost destroyed the world. a young band of survivors have taken refuge in the old fire station that their universes now dead Ghostbusters used to have as their headquarters. They find some of the surviving technology of their Ghostbusters and begin to go on the offensive in a world almost completely over run by ghosts.
>>
>>85905054

Meanwhile in Universe Alpha Egon discovers that when Walter Peck turned off their containment grid it actually tore open an interdimensional rift that connects these four (and possibly more) parallel universes through their fire stations. He is able to build a device to open the rift enough to allow travel between the universes. This accidentally unleashes a new spiritual entity more powerful than even Gozer that threatens all four universes. The Ghostbusters of the four universes team up to defeat this entity. Afterwards they maintain a link to be able to assist each other in their parallel universes and to hopefully help restore human civilization to universe Delta.

If and only if the animated series proves to be very successful we'll be able to think about returning to cinema with two new Ghostbusters "reboots" which won't really be reboots they'll just be movies about the genesis of the Ghostbusters in Universe Gamma and Delta. After which Sony hopes to be able to have success with a Ghostbusters Interdimensional Incorporated cinematic universe.
>>
Ghostbusters should just stay dead.
>>
>>85905073

The IDW comics are good. Real good. They should just adapt those. Got the scripts and stories just read to go.
>>
>>85905054
>>85905057

[citation needed]
>>
>>85905054
>The film franchise is pretty much dead
Let's be honest, it had been dead for a long time. Ghostbusters 2016 didn't kill the franchise, it just failed to resurrect it.
>>
Wait, is this four animated series? One huge series with a cast of 16 leads? The stars of Beta are a negative audience draw. Why bother?.

Gamma looks so unrelated that you might as well make a new franchise.

>>85905127
Would probably be better than this pile of shlock. But given how hollywood works I doulbt they'd go for it.
>>
>>85905054
>>85905057
This sounds incredibly convoluted.
>>
>>85905127
Really? I was not particularly impressed by them. Some were good, some were bad, some were just ok. I never felt like I just had to recommend any of them to somebody unless specifically asked.
>>
>>85905054
>an animated action film franchise
ABOUT FUCKING TIME
>>
This is some SUPER canon level of autism
>>
>>85905054

"severely under performed" = "bombed".

It bombed. Just say it OP, you'll feel much better. The truth shall set you free. I fucking hate Hollywood buzz-speak.
>>
>>85905073

I've never liked Ghostbusters being a franchise. The 2nd movie was crap and the cartoons never really did a lot for me.

I just don't see the appeal of the "universe." I love the first film, but the lore basically consisted of whatever mad ramblings Dan Akyroyd wrote that week while on LSD.
>>
>>85905203

The ongoing series is the biggest love letter to the franchise than can possibly exist
>>
>>85905225
I'd actually give that one to the original cartoons.

Of course you could argue that it's what made the single movie into a franchise to begin with.
>>
>>85905220
That's how I always felt. It never needed to extend beyond the first movie.
>>
>>85905225
To be fair, I never got all the way through volume 2, much less got all the way caught up. Does it get better? I just remember it being mediocre.
>>
File: Janinethruseasons.png (1MB, 1800x640px) Image search: [Google]
Janinethruseasons.png
1MB, 1800x640px
>>85905247
>I'd actually give that one to the original cartoons.

and Id actually suggest you go rewatch some of the original cartoons. the latter seasons where complete patronizing tripe.

>>85905268

Im not even sure what you're seeing as mediocre.
>>
>>85905268

There's a crossover between the cartoon ghostbusters and the comic ghostbusters
>>
>>85905294
Cartoon became shit from really heavy exec meddling. At the height of the cartoon's popularity they hired some retarded consultant firm which turned the show to crap pretty much overnight. Some of the people making it, including one of the main writers, just quit as soon as they heard the changes they wanted to make.
>>
>>85905354

I don't doubt that's the reason. The early episode where really really good. Hell even Extreme had really strong writing again but that Slimer shit?
>>
>>85905354
>>85905370

I mean, they wanted to change Janine's glasses to round because, get this "Children are scared of pointy things". They also said she is too "slutty" and had to be retconned into a more motherly character.

Also they wanted more Slimer.
>>
>>85905354

Executives don't feel like they're executives if they're not fucking around with things. Hollywood is run on egos and every suit thinks they know more than anyone else what makes a real hit. Look at Feig, he killed the franchise because he thought he knew more than Reitman. He was given a franchise that should have been a ticket to print money and the first thing he did was piss off the majority of the fans by shitting all over everything they loved.

Execs will kill the goose that lays the golden egg by committee and then blame the viewing public for not making it a success.
>>
>>85905370

Maybe Slimer will be the big baddie in this new Ghostbusters animated series.

Still haven't heard if this is supposed to be 4 separate series or one mega series with a huge fucking ensemble cast. What gives OP?
>>
>>85905370
>>85905402
If you're OK with Phelous, here he explains in more detail what happened exactly. He also included some commentary shots from the original show's creators and basically they were pretty depressed of what happened to it too

https://youtu.be/OW51PDa_puE?list=PL3XCSTT5utpsistns3EFgC9YRPHUMBiT4
>>
>>85905432
>If you're OK with Phelous,

Im not and I know what happened
>>
>>85905294
I'm just not seeing what's so great.
>>
File: 1403095884118.jpg (177KB, 900x696px) Image search: [Google]
1403095884118.jpg
177KB, 900x696px
>>85905487

it ties elements of the entire series history to create solid and fun stories. That's really all there is too.

sure as shit did the girls busters thing better than Fiege did. Ya got Kylie who was on extreme and already has fans, a new character Melanie Ortiz who's an FBI agent and Janine who's been around since the start. Hell even the eye candy girls ended up being intelligent and competent
>>
>>85905557
Maybe that's it. I haven't seen a lot of Ghostbusters outside of the original movie.
>>
>>85905202
so it's sounds plausible, something Sony could easily came up with.
>>
>>85905792

Who are they going to hand the franchise over to though? Feig is poison at Sony now that Pascal has been demoted.
>>
>>85905054
It was dead before the reboot, anon. It was dead when GB2 came out.
>>
Man, i really we could go back to the days where liking or not liking a movie wasn't a political statement.
>>
>>85905054
>Sony: We're getting that cinematic universe if it kills us.
>>
File: THIS.gif (1MB, 400x286px) Image search: [Google]
THIS.gif
1MB, 400x286px
>>85905144
>>
The comic is all we need, thanks.

Which, by the way, better not be ending again...
>>
>>85905054
>>85905057
Wait so is one of these universes malebusters or not.
>>
File: Demonic Girl is Not Amused.jpg (30KB, 500x312px) Image search: [Google]
Demonic Girl is Not Amused.jpg
30KB, 500x312px
How many more times does Sony have to fuck up before it goes under? This is getting ridiculous, United Artists went under with one movie.
>>
>>85905203
>Some were good, some were bad, some were just ok
Like pretty much every idw title
>>
>>85907687
I hope they dont go under you can get 2 more decent films out of hotel transylvania.
Once thats done though yeah just let them fucking die.
>>
>>85905370
I always liked the concept of Slimer as a pet or part of the team- because really, a ghost would be fucking useful in hunting down ghosts- but he should have never been a huge cornerstone of the franchise.
>>
>>85905225
Bigger than the 2009 game? Doubt it.
>>
>>85905220
The Terminal Reality video game was good.
>>
>>85905388
Slimer's the worst thing about the franchise though.
>>
>>85907906
Slimer on his own, isn't, no.
Slimer shoved into everything to be a fucking mascot is.
>>
How the fuck did ghostbusters even get a sequel, let alone a franchise. it's always been shit
>>
File: shitflingingretards.png (21KB, 292x476px) Image search: [Google]
shitflingingretards.png
21KB, 292x476px
>>85908123
Does this answer your question?
>>
>>85905388

Wasn't there a slimer only cartoon?
>>
>>85905600
Yeah that's it, it's hard to not love the series when they reference/use EVERYTHING. The original movies, the old cartoons (even the awful ones, the one with a gorilla gets a reference) the new stuff like extreme ghostbusters and the video game (which is basically the third ghostbusters movie) heck they even reference the old Pen and Paper RPG and the old boardgame.

So yeah hard to not fall in love with this series as an avid Ghostbusters fan
>>
>>85909411

Sounds like self-indulgent fanwank that's completely impenetrable to newcomers.

Pass.
>>
>>85908197
Psh, that's discounting marketing costs.
>>
>>85908123
this heresy shall not be tolerated
>>
They honestly should've done extreme

It still would have been PC since

Wheelchair
Mexican
Blackguy
Girl
>>
File: fixdoor.jpg (22KB, 388x392px) Image search: [Google]
fixdoor.jpg
22KB, 388x392px
>>85908123
>ghostbusters
>always been shit

Are you looking for a fight? BECAUSE YOU FOUND ONE.
>>
>>85909482
>Sounds like self-indulgent fanwank that's completely impenetrable to newcomers

Maybe you should try doing some research then shithead instead of just writing something off because you're not a scholar on the subject.
>>
>>85905073
/thread
>>
>>85909482
Where do you think you are?
>>
>>85909482
>Sounds like self-indulgent fanwank that's completely impenetrable to newcomers.
It doesn't get in the way of the fairly straightforward premise.
>>
>>85909757
>because you're not a scholar on the subject

So you have to be a scholar of Ghostbusters minutia just to read the fucking comic?

Pretty much proving my point (and it explains the low sales numbers).
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.