[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i never read a comic book

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: image.png (1MB, 1286x592px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 1286x592px
if i want to know and understand all the marvel universe,from where should i start?
>>
Just pick a dude and grab something with his name and #1 on the cover. All you have to do to read a comic is just read a comic.
>>
>>85890325
nowhere, it is a clusterfuck no-one should waste their time on
>>
>>85890325
Don't.
Run.
>>
Find a few characters you like and start at the beginning of one of their arcs.

Once you get familiar with authors, start following them instead.

This is the objectively best way to into comics. Read wikis and /co/ threads to keep up with whatevers going on outside of what you read
>>
>>85890325
FF vol1 number 1
>>
>>85890325
>all the marvel universe
Holy shit you really are new

I have bad news for you, anon.
>>
>>85890325
Read the DC universe instead.
>>
>>85890325
Pick one book and read it. Then if you have questions, read the book that answer those questions. Then read the books that answer your questions from those, too.
Actually, you'll be done pretty quickly that way since most books don't actually rely on that many other titles at all.

Oh, otherwise, there's this:
http://comraderecs.tumblr.com/archive/filter-by/photo
>>
>>85890325
If you're expecting it to be like the MCU you're going to be dissapointed
>>
Track down and read all the Marvel Index books. they're basically walls of text with spot illustrations giving you a breakdown of the first 20 odd years of Marvel. After that you'll have to start reading every book they publish up until the present.
>>
>>85890325
Start from House of M. From there, it'll lead into civil war and you can pick out characters you like from the event to decide which to follow into their own solo/team series
>>
>>85890325
>if i want to know and understand all the marvel universe,from where should i start?

Wikipedia.
>>
Lifeprotip: search an archive or desustorage or something to find storytimes of things you want to read (someone is currently doing all of fantastic four and X-Men from the beginning if you're interested)
>>
>>85890492
wat?what's wrong?
>>85890565
what's MCU?
>>85891039
tks anon
>>85891114
House of M. ok, tks (you) too anon
>>85891186
i'm interested,i will search that
>>
>>85891039
I read through a set of those back in the '90s.
They were absolutely no help with the recent stuff because they only focused on the long-ago canon and everything changes so much with every new writer's arc, also, there's a hellalot of stories that will never make any sense with just a summary.
And then there's the crossovers with half a story off in an issue of Avengers or where-ever...
I say go pick up an issue #1 title relaunch and everything onward and wiki every character you see as you go.
>>
>>85891502
>what's MCU?
Marvel Cinematic Universe.
The movies.
>>
>>85890325
Start by reading Marvel comics.
Then keep reading until you realize their events are shitty and there are way too many people with spider powers, then you'll wanna start reading origins of characters like the origin of Peter Park (TROUBLE) and the origin of Peter Parker's love life (ONE MORE DAY) and the origin of continuity errors (BENDIS RECENT STUFF)
>>
>>85891186
just link it:
https://desuarchive.org/co/search/subject/the%20great%20x-men/type/op/page/1/
>>
>>85891749
>I say go pick up an issue #1 title relaunch and everything onward and wiki every character you see as you go.
That would be a great idea if Marvel were still good right now.
>>
>>85890325
No one has that much money.
>>
>>85890325
Fantastic Four #1
>>
>>85891811
oh...right,now i know,tks.
>>85890565
i'm not expecting it to be like the MCU anon,
it's more like i'm expecting to see they development and the rules of that world. like:why this guy changed clothes? or why is he in that place now. etc.
>>
>>85892156
Marvel Unlimited subscription is literally ten bucks a month.
>>
>>85892156
i have 2000 dollars,and what i can't afford or find i will read online.
also is not like i will make a collection or anything
>>
>>85890376
First post is always the best post
>>
>>85892389
Do not spend 2k. Get a Marvel unlimited acct.
>>
>>85890325
Honest answer: if you have access to a LCS and you're fine with buying floppies, just grab whatever looks interesting. I started reading in 2012 and I remember not having a clue what was going on in Thunderbolts but I didn't care because I loved Declan Shalvey's work on the book so much.
>>
Buy any Marvel essential book that focuses on a character you like.
>>
Fantastic Four volume 1 #1 until the very end of their career in secret wars. They were there since the dawn of Marvel and and were there when the universe died.
>>
Fantastic Four by Jack Kirby #1
It's really good, I'm not joking, it's the best place to start.
>>
File: marvelsfeatured.jpg (170KB, 1600x642px) Image search: [Google]
marvelsfeatured.jpg
170KB, 1600x642px
>>85890325
Read "MARVELS"
It's the story of a newspaper photographer whose career spanned the early days of the Marvel universe. It starts with their first superhuman, the original Human Torch (actually an android/synthetic human named Jim Hammond), the first ever comic cross-over (Jim Hammond vs Namor), the origin of the Fantastic Four, the origin of Spider-Man, the first appearance of the X-Men, and the first appearance of Galactus.

Oh, and it's drawn by Alex Ross (pic related).
>>
>>85893010
Yeah, read about the coming of Galactus there and then read Fantastic Four by Kirby to see how it actually happened and how great it actually was.
>>
>>85890325
Why not try reading good comics instead?
>>
>>85892483
This is a great answer. I started out in high school in the 80's and just grabbed anything that stood out for me.

Dazzler - the second to last issue before it got cancelled. Whoops.
Jonah Hex - I found out I didn't like westerns.
Web of Spider-Man - lowest numbered Spider-Man title at the time.

New Universe happened. I got all the titles. A lot of it sucked, but DP7 was my favorite. Starbrand was good too.
>>
Anyone who thinks your can blanket a universe that has been producing stories for 60 years with a judgement of "bad" is a moron with zero critical thinking skills. Marvel have produced some of the greatest comics ever made. It's not that hard to accept that: they have made so many over the years inevitable they'll get it right occasionally. Same is true for DC, of course.

Please, fanboys, rethink what you do with your life: your time here is precious. Read more comics.
>>
>>85893967
If he was asking for good marvel comics to read, there wouldn't be so many people talking shit. But he's saying he's gonna read it all. Sturgeon's law goes double for capeshit, he'd be better off using that time reading better stuff.
>>
>>85890455
THIS GUY KNOWS HIS SHIT!

>>85890325
But read Earth X and MARVELS, everyone should read Earth X and Marvels.
>>
Kirby/Lee Fantastic Four
Claremont X-Men
First couple of Avenger's issues

These books in many way set up the Marvel Universe and authors are still working off of the ideas found in them. You still occasionally see references to them 60 years later. Can't think of a better way to start, that gives you the broadest and furthest reaching understanding of the universe, than these.
>>
>>85890455

Eh, "start at the beginning of an arc" is obvious, but I don't just read one character or author. Spread your net wide, listen to what is getting good buzz, try lesser known series etc.
>>
>>85894141
i will
>>
start from the ground up

ultimate spider-man - bendis
daredevil - bendis, brubaker
iron fist - fraction/brubaker
the punisher - garth ennis
ultimates - millar only
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.