[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homages/analogues

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

File: simone on homage characters.jpg (196KB, 638x1291px) Image search: [Google]
simone on homage characters.jpg
196KB, 638x1291px
What does /co/ think of homages/analogues like the Squadron Supreme or the Watchmen cast?
>>
>>85860799
>Whale Simone doesn't know that Moore and Gibbons wanted to use the Charlton characters the Watchmen are inspired on
This is going to be one of THOSE threads, isn't it?
>>
>>85860866
She knows, she doesn't care. Still thinks it's bullshit.
>>
>>85860799
They're fine when done well. I mean Alan Moore's Supreme is one of my favorite comics.
>>
>>85860799
I have no problem with homages and expys.

But admit that Evil Edgy Superman Expy isn't original and lame.
>Look I made Superman, but he raped people LULZ

Watchmen is good because the story is actually good.

Meanwhile stuff like The Boys is just boring shit.
>>
Sounds like she's just trying to deflect attention away from the fact that she is a horrible writer and has never had a decent run of anything.
>>
>>85861308
>people aren't allowed to have opinions
>>
File: frankenstein.jpg (16KB, 200x289px) Image search: [Google]
frankenstein.jpg
16KB, 200x289px
>>85861249
>stuff like The Boys is just boring shit
>>
>>85860799
Usually what she posts on twitter is based so I agree.
>>
>>85860799
This is "waah culture appropriation" applied to comics.
No. Making derivatives is how culture works. You take something and add your own contributions. You might as well ask for comic book patents, "I demand royalties for every strong flying character from another planet".
> "Would you feel honored?"
I don't care how you feel. You own copyright, nothing more, nothing less. The rest belongs to the world. You're not the first person to complain about this, and smarter people threw your argument to the garbage bin centuries ago.
>>
>>85861617
>I don't care how you feel
If you wanna do a homage then you should. If you just wanna coast off of someone else's creation then I guess you shouldn't care.
>>
>>85860799
Has Simone made a single memorable character of her own? All the stuff she's best known for is essentially fanfiction.
>>
>>85860799
boys isn't an homage
either is the authority
it's a deconstruction
what's she actually talking about?
>>
>>85861679
Do you think The Boys should pay royalties to authors from DC and Marvel? Should Garth Ennis care if DC and Marvel are honored?
>>
>>85861749
It's like you didn't even read what Simone said...
>>
>>85860799
I don't feel like what she is complaining about would even be considered a homage.

I mean a reference at best, a parody at worst, a remake or reboot most likely when it comes to real new material about a character.

And there a plenty of remakes or reboots that get the original makers thumbs up or some kinda approval.
Take The Producers remake. Not the best movie but it still ended with Mel Brooks there, so he couldn't have truly hated it if he was willing to cameo.
Or Evil Dead remake, which had the Rain seal of approval.
Even the recent Suicide Squad movie was enjoyed by John Ostrander.
>>
>>85861888
She's mostly talking about stuff like "lol what if Superman was evil except it's totally not Superman you guise" or "what if not-Spider-Man did drugs wouldn't that be something haha"
>>
>>85862047
The chain of tweets was in response to somebody who asked why she didn't like Guardians of the Globe from Invincible. They are a reference to the Justice League.
>>
>>85862170
What? No, read the tweets, she's never read Invincible.
>>
The only thing is that I would make an exception for parodies/satire specifically, though I guess that line itself will be in the eye of the beholder. What one person sees as disrespectful the other could see as meaningful usage.

(Of course probably worthwhile to realize that she's not saying it shouldn't exist. Just that she doesn't like it.)
>>
>>85861349
He's not wrong. Only Ennis and 14-year olds could possibly find value in it.
>>
>>85862276
Hi again, TriggeredAnon!
>>
>>85862196
>but I don't like THESE characters on principle
>>
>>85861679
Nigga most of the time they aren't homages.
They're usually meant to provide some sort of commentary on some facet of the original character.
>>
File: 1.jpg (1MB, 1080x1661px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
1MB, 1080x1661px
>>85860799
Uhhh...?
>>
>>85861779
I don't think you did either
>>
>>85862879
That's probably the problem with this discussion and maybe twitter as a platform in general for long rants. She doesn't see that as homage (at least based on the tweets it seems more like a powerset archetypes thing to her than literally writing homage characters; I haven't read it so I can't say for sure) but obviously someone could see it that way. She doesn't seem to have issue with those that are eventually characterized to be sufficiently different (someone brought up Deadpool to her).
>>
>>85860866
>>85860924
I wonder if people would still defend moore if DC actually let him do it.
>>
>>85863694
The Charlton characters still had some kind of fanbase back then, but I think at the time (this would be before Giffen and DeMatteis worked on Justice League) the general readership didn't really care about them that much (Charlton was seen by the general readership as a lower-tier company even though there was some decent work done for them). I think people would still defend Moore.

But if Twilight of the Superheroes had been published as is (going by the pitch), the general readership would turn against Moore or at least be heavily divided.
>>
>>85862879
But none of those characters were homages or analogues.
>>
>>85863847
>literally a mr. fantastic clone on the top left corner
>>
>>85860799
Simone, like usual, is wrong. I'm also not going to take advice on "good characters" from a woman whose idea to save Cassandra Cain as a character was to turn her into a born-again Christian in a white costume called "The Angel of the Bat" and whose pet characters are garbage ones like Scandal Savage, Misfit and Black Alice.
>>
>>85860799
If it's well writen then there's nothing wrong with it, if it's badly writen then it's shit, it's not that complicated.

Simone is a retard.
>>
>>85864420
That's what gets me. Squadron Supreme is one of the best comics Marvel's ever published and the entire premise is "what if the Justice League went full fascist".
>>
>>85860799
>pee
Little does Simone know I have a golden shower fetish.
>>
Fuck this bitch, these things exist for people who like aspects of the original but not the total package and want certain things changed.
For example, I like Superman alot in general but I do like when the stories around him are more serious, so something like JMS's Supreme Power strongly appeal to me.
>>
>>85863984
>every stretchy superhero is Mr. Fantastic
wew lad
>>
File: btfopep.png (228KB, 3316x1896px) Image search: [Google]
btfopep.png
228KB, 3316x1896px
>>85864905
This one is.

There's also a Batman analogue, complete with Joker analogue in that very same issue.
>>
>>85860799
>homages are cheap and shitty
>no, I haven't read Invincible, The Boys, The Authority, Irredeemable, Copra, or the Plutonian, and I'm not talking about Moore or Gibbons
>but I still hate those characters on principle!
>and no, reader enjoyment doesn't make something right
>>
>>85865141
The Boys and Irredeemable are cheap and shitty
>>
>>85865141
She IS talking about Moore and Gibbons though. She doesn't like how Nite Owl is Blue Beetle with a different paint job. They should have been differentiated more in her mind once DC said to change them.
>>
>>85865194
Well I guess "should" is too strong maybe. She's saying she doesn't like the similarities not that it has no right to exist.
>>
>>85865194
>>85865141

>vast majority

hell part of Watchmen being pastiches is that Moore/DC didn't wanna ruin the charleston characters.
>>
>>85863815
>Twilight of the Superheroes

What a fucking bonkers idea that was.
>>
>>85865141
>>no, I haven't read Invincible, The Boys, The Authority,

But she's read The Authority before. What are you talking about?
>>
>>85865194
But Blue Beetle and Nite Owl are drastically different. At best, the most common thread between them is "legacy character who is smart and has a flying craft." Hollis is closer to the Golden Age Garret Beetle than he is to Silver Age Garrett Beetle and he didn't die in order for Dan to become the new Nite Owl, he died long after Dan had a superheroing career.

Hell, even Dan's Nite Owl costume has more Batman elements in it than Blue Beetle elements. Ted didn't wear a utility belt.
>>
>>85864324
And don't forget the evil guy who does things for the lulz.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.