[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /co/ like Ralph Bakshi?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: wizards-1977-characters.jpg (177KB, 628x852px) Image search: [Google]
wizards-1977-characters.jpg
177KB, 628x852px
Does /co/ like Ralph Bakshi?
>>
Apparently he wants to make a sequel to this.
>>
the worst kind of commie enviro-propoganda that was a cancer of 70-early 80 film and media.

>tfw you think SU is pretty good tho
>>
Sometimes.

As for me, not as an artist but as background noise usually. A couple of his films make me feel nostalgic for a time I never even grew up in, so I find them interesting for just that. I think CoolWorld is his best.

I give the man credit for trying to push animation into non-Disney territory, but unfortunately, his writing just did not reach an audience. Spielberg hit that really good balance and wide appeal with Roger Rabbit and I'm sure he could have "saved" modern-day animation if he didn't just resort to kids stuff, even though I love Freakazoid.
>>
File: A70-9187.jpg (146KB, 500x748px) Image search: [Google]
A70-9187.jpg
146KB, 500x748px
>>85832861
How about "Who Framed Roger Rabbit 2: Rip-off Boogaloo " ?
>>
>>85832861
that's some pretty nasty bait
>>
Much like what >>85832878 said. He was a good animator and significant for pushing the boundaries of the medium, but his films are so riddled with flaws that none are truly great.
>>
>>85832747
he was a genius when it came to wizards. fire and ice was decent.

fritz the cat was not that great. don't watch it unless you are a serious ralph bakshi fan. the majority of people will not like it.
>>
>>85833321
bullshit. wizards was just fine
>>
File: 20140908.png (331KB, 700x1036px) Image search: [Google]
20140908.png
331KB, 700x1036px
>>85832888
>>
I like rotoscope animation. I've found that the stories of his movies are so-so, but the fluidity of motion keeps my attention.
>>
I've never really enjoyed a Film by the guy; yes, history is technically indebted to him for his trying to make adult animation a thing here, but he's just monumentally bad at it. I have not seen wizards but in Fire and Ice and the LotR animate movie ( not counting the first appearance of the ring wraith which was bloody brilliant) and most of his other works just have little economy or effectiveness. You get intricate rotoscope shots of characters doing mundane shit and then the quality drops during action moments or when you really need soaring animation. He just simply does not understand his own medium when making effective shots.
>>
Wizards is an underrated gem.

Coonskin is a surreal watch.
>>
I liked rotoscoping and "live action" backgrounds with animated characters
It's a real acid trip man

Wish a movie would employ this technique now

>inb4 a Scanner Darkly
Meh it never reached the fever dream status of a Ralph movie
>>
Wizards is good, the only problem I have is that Nazi propaganda being some sort of strange magic is too on the nose.

I think it'd have been better if we never found out.
>>
>>85834525
>too on the nose

so you're criticizing him for being correct...?

people fell for 9/11 thinking it was 19 hijackers. how is strange magic used for nefarious ends not a fantasy depicting people's xenophobic fears and naivete?
>>
KANSAS
>>
>>85832747
I like his LoTR movie. Super comfy.

Everything else is just "meh" to "ugh."
>>
>>85832888
Could a modern remake or sequel for this work?
>>
>>85832845
But the best character was killed, so what's the point?
>>
File: obscure-film-wizards-1977-1.jpg (102KB, 1200x500px) Image search: [Google]
obscure-film-wizards-1977-1.jpg
102KB, 1200x500px
Fucking love Wizards. One of my favorites.
>>
>>85832747
Some of his works are gr8. And his paintings are amazing.
>>
>>85834609
His point was lost since modern audiences wouldn't be affected in the same way.

It's the same thing as a horror movie. Show the whole monster, it loses its ability to scare. Show just pieces of it and your brain fills in the rest.
>>
>>85832747
I liked Fritz the Cat.
>>
File: 1463825516073.gif (513KB, 500x484px) Image search: [Google]
1463825516073.gif
513KB, 500x484px
>>85834609
>people fell for 9/11 thinking it was 19 hijackers
>>
>>85832747
I do, tho allegedly he's a dick.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.